Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GE Lighting 89091 Energy Smart Spiral CFL 14-Watt (60-watt replacement) 900-Lumen T3 Spiral Light Bulb with Medium Base, 1-Pack
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

on March 4, 2014
This GE "Sunshine" CFL is as far as its possible to go in residential lighting without a bright white light feeling industrial or "harsh." Too much blue is as unsettling to most people as is too much yellow.

5000K is just perfect for living spaces and is the lighting standard in Japan and Europe. Its just the right amount of bright white light - not too mellow nor too harsh. It doesn't have the yellow color associated with traditional incandescents so the effect is just very energizing in a vivid way when you step into a room - you will really feel awake and alive under them and its a great reading light, too.

If you're looking for a bright white light that looks natural, this is the one that you need and you can say good bye forever to putting up with yellow lights.

And if you really want a tinted light with a hint of yellow to relax in a space, then 4100K is the perfect light for it. For task lighting, 6500K works quite well for kitchen/bathroom/garage/utility fixtures but its way too harsh for living spaces and for most people, it just looks out of place there.

2700K is just too warm and too yellow and makes room lighting look dingy and dreary. The effect induces fatigue and a feeling of listlessness. Not the kind of light most people want to put in to light up a room in the winter - or in the summer months. For most people who desire warm lighting, 3500K is the happy medium and there is 4100K on the cool side of it.

In short, I would say if you want a relaxing light go for 3500-4100K for a cozy feeling and if you want to have bright white light that's not overpowering, choose 5000K. Keep 6500K for places where you really need to have task lighting to get things done. This is a good rule to follow for selecting proper lighting.

As for 2700K, people have used the traditional yellow light for a long time because their eyes got used to it and there was nothing else available. If you are able to - go with 5000K - your health, your mood and your eyes will thank you for having bright white light that will change your view on what lighting can do for all of them. Get the GE "Sunshine" CFL - its what residential lighting should have been all along in the first place and will be the new lighting standard in America in the future.
on February 28, 2010
We cannot be happier with these. After all the sickly, yellow tinted bulbs, these really light up our rooms and brighten our mood.
We have used them for a while, and they seem to last a long time, even in light fixtures which were known to burn regular bulbs quite quickly.
on October 6, 2008
I like this light bulb exactly because they are 6,500K, or "daylight". It's not your for your comfortable reading lamp, or to create an ambiance in your living room. The color of the light bulb is closer to what you would get from an open sky, which is blueish. And being a Compact Fluorescent, they use much less energy than regular bulbs. Buy this if you are looking for some color accuracy rather than light mood.
on October 7, 2009
I've replaced about a dozen bulbs around my house with these. Not only are they only about a quarter the wattage of the incandescent bulbs they've replaced, but the quality of the light is far closer to natural sunlight. The yellow/red skew of standard incancesdents is dramatically reduced -- these are much closer to the color of natural light. The only negative I have is price, but they are a lot cheaper at other locations...
on September 4, 2010
i have used the ge 6500k 40, 60 and 100watt equivalent bulbs for some time.

a 13w cfl over the stove and a 26 watt over the kitchen sink, a 26 watt over the washing machine and some 9 watt in a few lamps that arent kept on or used as general lighting.

the daylight color temprature is useful for separating dark blue and black clothing in laundry and i find it good for lighting up cooking food...ie, pink in meats.

i use them in lamps for dressing when i have to match dark socks.

i find that being in the light is shrill and unpleasnt if left on for a long time - like being in an autopsy room or something but very useful for some tasks.

i was told that some high color temps dont attract bugs...in a comparison with a cfl in an amber shroud and a 6500k ge bulb it seems that they both attracted the same amount of bugs...a few, but not many. it may be that the lower bulbs temps dont attract the bugs as much as a warmer bug-incandescent.

they seem of good quality but i have had 1 dud in the 26 watt version.
on December 29, 2012
Several years ago I bought GE's 100-watt equivalent (as well as 60-watt equivalent, and 75-watt equivalent) Daylight 6500K CFLs for a residential application. I specifically (and mistakenly) bought the General Electric brand due to perceived quality. The "quality of light" was discovered to be OUTSTANDING (credit must be given where credit is due); 'GREAT for work areas, e.g., utility room, garage, home office, above work bench, etc. HOWEVER, personal experience has shown that these bulbs repeatedly fail prematurely. Of the six (6) bulbs that I purchased, all six (6) failed prematurely. When I returned the first two failed bulbs to the manufacturer for a warranty replacement, I was provided with a GE coupon with which to obtain replacement GE CFLs. Disappointingly, the replacement GE CFLs also failed prematurely. As opposed to saving me money (via widely advertised "extended bulb-life and energy savings"), these bulbs have actually cost me money through their repeated premature failure. My personal opinion: 'Save your money!
88 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2012
I chose this lightbulb, despite the higher price, because I wanted one that would replicate natural sunlight in my room. When I turn it on during the day with the blinds open, the room is brighter but you don't immediately realize a light is on. The spectrum appears so similar to that of natural light that it forms a continuous lighted area from my desk (where I have the light) to the window. It's a cool effect and dispels the warm glow that adds ambience but also makes everything golden-colored. I think it's a better light for doing desk work, especially in conjunction with the blue/white light that LCDs give off. Add to that the energy-saving features, and I'm looking for excuses to add some more of these to my apartment!
77 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
I was looking for a daylight bulb to use with my desk lamp. I don't like the yellowish-orangish shade of soft white bulbs. I personally think, that day light bulbs are good for reading and cause less strain on eyes. These bulbs were perfect for the purpose. Later, I replaced all the soft white bulbs with these in my apartment.
AMENDED 08/03/2014

I bought a lamp that was supposed to be as bright as this bulb and it is not. I paid $33 for the lamp and was lucky to get it at that price as it is sold for as high as $164 which I would NEVER pay more than what I did for it. After I got it, I noticed it was rated at only 530 LUMENS/Lux which is NOT GOOD for Artists.

This light bulb is MUCH BETTER and I am buying the other model that is a starker white light at 6,500 Kelvins. For those who know about lighting, no need to read on, but if you are curious here is an explanation of lighting, and my response from an artist's point of view:

When trying to find a lamp for true or natural lighting you need to take into account Lumens and CRI. I will not use WATTS which is the amount of energy the lamp uses and is NOT about how bright something is, or the term RADIANCE which is how much energy it emits.

CRI is Color Rendering, how well you can see the actual color of things with 0 being the worst and 100 highest. This will allow you to see the actual color of items you are drawing and the actual color of the medium you are using whether it be paint, graphite or coloured pencil. Most are rated at 80 - 85 but you want 90+ for a CRI rating. Unfortunately bulbs usually do not have this rating on the packaging. So you need to go my Lumens and Kelvins.

LUMENS is how bright the light actually is and how much it will light up an area. One lumen is equal to the amount of light a candle lets fall on 1 square foot of area, 1 foot away. So to gauge this consider that a 60-watt incandescent light bulb produces 890 lumens, which to me is soft home lighting. A 75 watt bulb =1,200L and 100w =1,700L and 150w = 2,850L. 1,000L is a typical overcast day outside so you always want something at 1,000 or more when working.

KELVINS is the type of light being produced, as in cool or warm. It is measured in 1,000's. The lower the number the warmer the light emitted and the higher the number up to around 7,500K the cooler the light, then it goes blue again as in the sky, with Daylight at Noon at around 5,000K. Fluorescent and LED's range between 2,700K - 6,500K, maybe a little more.

PURE WHITE: 6,000 - 6,500K BLUISH TINGE, STUDYING, FINE DETAILED ART WORK
DAYLIGHT WHITE: 5,000 - 5,500K DAYLIGHT AT NOON IS 5,000K ALSO CALLED NATURAL LIGHTING
WARM WHITE: 4,000 - 4,500K GOOD FOR SOFT HOME LIGHTING, BEDTIME READING, FLIPPING THROUGH A MAGAZINE
YELLOW LIGHT: 3,000 - 3,500K MOOD LIGHTING AND REALLY NO NEED TO BUY EXPENSIVE BULBS FOR THIS

Artists working inside either work by large windows or with lighting between 5,000 - 7,000 Kelvins. I like the higher end of the spectrum when I do realistic drawing with minute fine details and low as 5,000 for general work to see actual color.

So, I would recommend buying a lamp that you like and buy these bulbs to use with the lamp. It is a whole lot less money than spending up to $200 for a "disaonic" lamp or one fo the other ones that say they are "natural light" lamps. I will not replace the lamp I bought and use it for the end table by the couch to read and work by. I will buy a lamp housing that suits my needs for my art station and buy these bulbs for that. MUCH BETTER INVESTMENT.
____________________________________

This actually is a great light, it is clear and does reduce glare. It is on the expensive side but may work when doing art work. I am looking around for either a natural light bulb or lamp.
on May 27, 2011
These light bulbs are just perfect (when they work). They turn on instantly and are bright, not yellow like some bulbs. However, I've had to return two which didn't work at all (when new),and one which was crushed in shipping. They say they last 5 years, but I just replaced one that lasted only 6 weeks. It wouldn't be worth it to pay return shipping and get a partial refund. If you purchase these, I'd suggest purchasing from a local vendor in case they need to be returned.
[ASIN:B001MKHP14 GE 71765 26-Watt Energy Smart Instant-on CFL (100-Watt equivalent) Light Bulb]]