Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,731 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,518 reviews
on October 15, 2015
This story was, for me, a bit too heavy on the religious side. It was obvious (if you've read widely on the subject) that Don only entered into -- what I shall call -- the "front hall" of heaven -- there was a gate through which he could not go, so he did not actually enter the real Hereafter. The account of his actual car accident, terribly injuries, and suffering after returning from Heaven, was so harrowing that I skipped large parts of it. He is to be saluted and congratulated on actually recovering, although I could not find out (did I skip too much?) exactly how well he recovered in the end. All in all, for me -- very subjectively speaking -- a bit too heavy on the religion and therefore not as objective as I would have liked.
on January 19, 2016
I enjoyed reading '90 Minutes in Heaven.'

First, it is well-written for a book of its type, with a simple, easy-to-read narrative. Second, I found the book's overt subject matter (an accident victim's miraculous survival, and his Heavenly near-death-type experience) to be interesting and engaging, with a solid recounting of the case and its details. However, my favorite part of the book was, ironically, the sub-story, that involving Mr. Piper's arduous recovery and its unexpected byproducts of personal growth and spiritual development. Here, we are presented with the compelling account of one man's physical and psychological trials, and the lasting personal evolution that they produced. Also, we see how one person's experiences and choices can affect countless others in a ripple effect, be it Mr. Piper's incredible survival and the spread of his message, or the events which led to him being in the car accident to begin with, or the many other logistics of the incident and its aftermath. If nothing else, Mr. Piper's story illustrates how nothing happens in isolation, from the "big" to the "small" (and how those labels are all, really, just a matter of perspective and awareness). Whether the reader views the text through a spiritual lens or a purely secular one, the book has much to offer, from the earthbound to the supernatural and everything in-between.

My thanks goes out to this book's authors, subjects, and publisher. I am grateful for, and have benefited from, your work and service.
on February 4, 2016
This product was a personal purchase for myself at the normal retail price. I am reviewing it solely because I want to share my experience with other potential customers. I did not purchase it in connection to a review company. I have received no compensation for my review nor do I have any relationship with the seller or manufacturer of this product. I have had a positive experience with this product it solved the issue that I purchased it for. I appreciate the opportunity to review this item.
I have always been interested in NDE (near death experiences) and will gobble up books on the topic to try to understand just what people experience and how they express - in human words - something so surreal.

I picked up this book after seeing a recent Primetime Nightline with Bob Woodruff called "Beyond Belief" that featured Don Piper. I am sure this recent show helped Mr. Piper sell many more copies of his 2004 book "90 Minutes in Heaven" because of the prominent spotlight he was given on this show. I quickly found a used copy for a penny and ordered it right away. This was not the first time I had seen this book and the recent show just gave me the excuse I needed to purchase the book and delve into Mr. Piper's experience "on the other side".

I have to say, after 30 pages ... the book became very disappointing. I admire Mr. Piper's healing journey and cannot imagine the recovery process. But that isn't really what I bought the book for. I bought the book to get a glimpse of Heaven from someone who has experienced an out of body experience. I did get that - in the most cliche way (well, given the author is a Baptist Minister, I should have expected nothing less). Angels and streets of gold though ... really? Pearly gates? All the Biblical cliches came out mightily in this story. Mr. Piper's experience is shared from his perspective and this can either be embraced or not. The thing is, I wanted more than just 30 pages of "in Heaven" accounts. The book started out so strong and I thought it was going to be a huge page-turner. Instead, a bit disappointing. It's disappointing ONLY because the title is misleading and people like me expecting something different are going to feel a bit deceived.

This is truly a book more looking at "Heaven" from a purely Christian (Baptist) perspective and less a look at afterlife. And even his 90 minutes are exhausted in 30-ish quick moving pages. He mentions that he cannot put into words the buffet his senses partake in ...

Re-title the book to something a little more realistic. This is less a story of afterlife and more a story of a rehabilitation journey. I am not downplaying the author's experience ... but the title is misleading.
on September 5, 2016
90 Minutes in Heaven is more than a faith-based film. It is a faith-enhancing story that not only provides a version of the afterlife, it also provides a vision into the heart and soul of a believer struggling to save his life and his faith, battling depression. One might also marvel at the medical/scientific advancements related to the victim's recovery from near-fatal injuries. The story also testifies to the "suffering," faith, love, and patience of those who had to watch and support him through it. The only criticism I could offer would be casting a Canadian as the lead character doing his best to sound like a southerner in the US. It's not an easy sound to mimic without indigenous exposure. Even so, it was a stellar performance. The special effects in the visuals related to the accident rival any five-star, multimillion dollar budgeted film. I am better for having seen it!
on February 8, 2014
Not that great of a book. The first chapter or two is all that you even need to read to find out what Don Piper claims he "saw" in heaven. The entire rest of the book is just filler stuff talking about how he has taken "his show on the road" to gain as much notoriety about it as possible. He's gained a lot of mileage off of this story/book. He's been on the speakers circuit about it for years and years now.

I also think that you have to be exceptionally careful about these "I died and went to heaven books and came back to tell about it." First of all, you'd better be extremely knowledgeable about what is in the Bible. Then.....compare what is told in these stories to what exactly the Bible teaches us about heaven.

If you really want to know more about what we can expect to find/see in heaven (for those who are going there which isn't everybody) then I would recommend you read Randy Alcorn's book title Heaven. It is very biblical and scripturally based. Everything he says in it is backed up by scripture. If he does say something where he can't totally back it up in scripture, then he tells you that it is his educated opinion/guess and he will explain why he feels that way.

I would pass on reading 90 Minutes in Heaven. No meat in it and not scripturally based.

I was going to mention the absolute worst one of these "trips to heaven and back" books but I couldn't remember the name of it. I just searched the first 20 pages of Amazon books looking for books about heaven but coulnd't find it there. However, I did notice that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of books about trips to heaven and back. There must be a lot of money in writing books like that! I would be very careful about what you read in this genre. That one book I'm trying to find the name of was about (if I recall this right) a woman, I'm thinking she was Chinese or something, and she started visiting heaven in her dreams most every night. It was so totally bizarre and totally unbiblical. She must have either been taking some bad drugs or eating way too much pizza! Bizarre! Anyone remember the name of it?
on May 24, 2013
One of the two best stories about an NDE that I have ever read - the other being Betty Malz's book. I've spent quite a lot of time researching and reading about this topic in general and Don Piper's story is absolutely gripping and full of wonder. Of course, it's the description of his experience in heaven that we all love and are fascinated to hear about. And although that portion of the book is relatively small, it alone is worth the price of admission, so to speak.

The rest of the book covers the series of events leading up to his death and his long, painful and exhausting recovery upon his return to his body. To a certain extent, we have to take the author at his word, that his experience is true. But when you read his description of his experience in heaven then, at least for me, there was no doubt in my mind that the story he tells is the truth.

A few years back I saw a documentary on the National Geographic channel where they invited various "experts" to discuss similar NDE's and their veracity. I distinctly remember one obviously atheistic doctor stating that he thought that NDE's were solely the result of the release of substances into the brain, chemicals that are released after death. Nothing more than an illusion created after the blood supply has been cut-off. But he allowed his bias to cause him to omit some inconvenient facts that would deny his theory;

- All thoughts in the brain prior to death are caused by a combination of chemical release AND electrical stimuli, never by chemical release alone.
- NDE's are, by definition, events that occur only after the brain flat-lines out, ie. no electrical impulse at all.
- That doctor himself would have pulled the sheet over the head of Piper as soon as the EEG showed zero response. He wouldn't have conducted tests to see if chemicals were being released into his brain, and then left his body laying on a bed in the E.R. for 90 minutes in the expectation that he would pop back into life at some point.

The author's experience is a perfect example that a human beings essence, our consciousness, remains alive after physical death. Piper's description of his body's condition establishes without a doubt that there was no blood flowing into his brain or into any other part of his body for at least 90 minutes. If he had been taken to a hospital ER in an ambulance, he would have been declared DOA the moment that the gurney rolled through the door.

And if you, like that doctor, also believe that man is merely a physical entity without a spirit, then I challenge you to read this book. If Piper's description of the beauty of heaven doesn't cause your heart to ache in a longing response, then perhaps nothing ever will.

Dave
on November 4, 2014
In the last 4 1/2 months, my son was killed in an auto accident and my husband died from cardiac arrest after a lengthy illness. This book was difficult to put down before I finished reading it. Notice I did not say I "lost" a son and husband. You cant lose anything if you know where it is. As Christians, I know they are with our Heavenly Father and His Son. Don Pipers descriptions of what he saw, helped me to visualize their wonderful experiences upon their arrival. Also his painful ordeal and recovery from his injuries helped me to see purpose and design behind my husband's illness. My husband was a faithful witness until his death.
on October 29, 2015
I liked your book. Yes you most certainly was dead. God works in mysterious ways to send the other preacher right there to pray for you and to sing the old song ....then you sang with him even though they said you were dead. I believe God will work more and more miracles in our life. You are doing the right thing by spreading the news in churches and at other places to show the world God is merciful and loving, who also healed you while you were in the car. I am speaking on the insides and your neck..etc. MIRACLE! I had read your book before but got it again on Kindle I just had to feel that love again when you are surrounded by HIS love. Thank you so much for sharing. The only reason I clicked on a 4 is in 90 mins when Heaven feels like weeks if your there even 30 mins there is more. Maybe the Lord made him forget those things for they would hurt him or interfere with his purpose. You don't spend 90 mins in heaven without seeing MORE of heaven yet you do not see the face of God until you really die.
on April 27, 2016
A well written and very interesting account of his experience. The book is extremely Christian based, which is understandable due to his belief system. I did find it a bit restrictive in that area, since I have more spiritual leanings. I thought his honestly, courage and strength in overcoming such a horrible event were amazing. I do believe in miracles and the power of prayer, and that the collective power of it saved his life. I was most impressed with his honesty about the depression, anger and other psychological struggles he went through during his recovery. His ability to use this experience to help so many other people is commendable.