Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,719 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,501 reviews
on August 19, 2006
As I glanced through other reviews of this book, I noticed many of the negative reviews voiced the same issue -- "there wasn't enough about his experience in Heaven". But that's what confirmed its authenticity to me along with his self-admitted inability to describe it. I'm confident Reverand Piper conveyed exactly what he experienced and that it wasn't embellished or enhanced merely to satisfy our earthly desires for more information. A lesser author would have done so to sell more books! His experience in Heaven was the most intriguing part of the book, but of greater value was what he did with that experience as well as the mental and physical challenges following his accident. In summary, it's a confirmation of God's promises to us regarding Heaven, a reminder that we all serve a purpose for Him while on earth, and a prompting regarding our responsibility to ensure others are saved.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2015
Purchased this book with the hope that it would be a positive account of heaven, and how it has positively changed this man's life. I am literally halfway through it and could not be more depressed about the fact that I have to pick it back up to read more tonight. Might be the most depressing book I have ever read. It's basically 1 chapter that encompasses his time in heaven... And the rest is dedicated to him whining about how awful his life has been since. Literally whining. I can't imagine how awful it was with the extent of his injuries... I really can't. I truly do empathize for him. However, I have 4 kids that I spend every minute of every day worrying about.. And at the end of the day I have so little in me that I look for books with a positive outlook to help me sleep peacefully and end my day on a relaxing note... Maybe 20 minutes of "me time".... This is nothing of the sort. It's just this depressing read. Page after page. I feel like there was so much opportunity for this to be uplifting and positive. At this point... I don't even want to continue. Ugh.
I have always been interested in NDE (near death experiences) and will gobble up books on the topic to try to understand just what people experience and how they express - in human words - something so surreal.

I picked up this book after seeing a recent Primetime Nightline with Bob Woodruff called "Beyond Belief" that featured Don Piper. I am sure this recent show helped Mr. Piper sell many more copies of his 2004 book "90 Minutes in Heaven" because of the prominent spotlight he was given on this show. I quickly found a used copy for a penny and ordered it right away. This was not the first time I had seen this book and the recent show just gave me the excuse I needed to purchase the book and delve into Mr. Piper's experience "on the other side".

I have to say, after 30 pages ... the book became very disappointing. I admire Mr. Piper's healing journey and cannot imagine the recovery process. But that isn't really what I bought the book for. I bought the book to get a glimpse of Heaven from someone who has experienced an out of body experience. I did get that - in the most cliche way (well, given the author is a Baptist Minister, I should have expected nothing less). Angels and streets of gold though ... really? Pearly gates? All the Biblical cliches came out mightily in this story. Mr. Piper's experience is shared from his perspective and this can either be embraced or not. The thing is, I wanted more than just 30 pages of "in Heaven" accounts. The book started out so strong and I thought it was going to be a huge page-turner. Instead, a bit disappointing. It's disappointing ONLY because the title is misleading and people like me expecting something different are going to feel a bit deceived.

This is truly a book more looking at "Heaven" from a purely Christian (Baptist) perspective and less a look at afterlife. And even his 90 minutes are exhausted in 30-ish quick moving pages. He mentions that he cannot put into words the buffet his senses partake in ...

Re-title the book to something a little more realistic. This is less a story of afterlife and more a story of a rehabilitation journey. I am not downplaying the author's experience ... but the title is misleading.
on May 14, 2016
I'm shocked at all the positive reviews. A woman had highly recommended this book when she learned my son had died. I read a lot of related books, and thought I'd give it a try. The first 6 pages are about the author's accident and subsequent entry into heaven. Maybe 10 minutes of his 90 minutes in heaven, if that. The most intriguing part was that he was "declared" dead, until he came back into his body while still at the accident scene pinned in his vehicle. Most of the remaining 160 pages are about his recovery from the accident, and helping other people, most particularly those that were wearing the same contraptions he had to wear during his long recuperation from his injuries. After the first chapter he only alludes to those minutes in heaven while he gives inspiration to others on death and dying.
on October 15, 2015
This story was, for me, a bit too heavy on the religious side. It was obvious (if you've read widely on the subject) that Don only entered into -- what I shall call -- the "front hall" of heaven -- there was a gate through which he could not go, so he did not actually enter the real Hereafter. The account of his actual car accident, terribly injuries, and suffering after returning from Heaven, was so harrowing that I skipped large parts of it. He is to be saluted and congratulated on actually recovering, although I could not find out (did I skip too much?) exactly how well he recovered in the end. All in all, for me -- very subjectively speaking -- a bit too heavy on the religion and therefore not as objective as I would have liked.
on March 19, 2007
I don't know what to say, other than - this story has the ring of authenticity. I haven't checked out his facts - and frankly, I picked up his book with a good bit of healthy skepticism. So many people have attempted to make a quick buck off of the spiritual gullibility of others. But based on my understanding of Scripture and my own internal "truth meter," I walked away from this book thinking to myself, "This man may have actually been given a glimpse of heaven." I can see this book providing genuine comfort to those who have lost Christian loved ones...and unspeakable encouragment to those who are themselves facing death.
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2016
I looked forward to reading this text strictly because I found it different from other NDEs and their documentation because Piper was supposedly "dead" for 90 minutes... no pulse, no respiratory function, etc.I felt that if this were true, his NDE must indeed be at least worth reading. I was wrong.

Not only does Piper describe a very cliche vision of heaven that brain waves could have easily constructed, there is no proof that he was "dead" for 90 minutes. He was merely pronounced dead, and ninety minutes passed before the other baptist preacher arrived, prayed over him, and he regained consciousness. He may have regained a heartbeat/vitals after 3 minutes of being pronounced dead. It is only through his claims, not any medical evidence, that he did not have a pulse for ninety minutes. They were not checking on him/making attempts at resuscitation every few minutes.While this doesn't disprove that he had a NDE, it raises questions about the validity of everything he writes.
The book is more about his physical and emotional road to recovering from his injuries and triumph over earthly adversity, and the affect his NDE has had on his ministry. However, it has an entirely misleading title as very little of it i about his supposed tie in heaven.
His writing voice is also very hackneyed, stilted, amateur and pretentious at times. For instance; from the very beginning he points out unnecessary details to inflate his character... he states that the driver of the prison bus was "inexperienced" and that while he (Piper himself) was driving at a 'safe speed' of 50 mph, the "trusted" inmate drove over the bridge at 60 mph (which actually was the speed limit of the highway, and a detail he only learned much later). This left a bad taste in my mouth and set the tone for the rest of the book

I also learned he was a Baptist preacher right away, which I was not told before hand when I was given the suggestion to read this book. While this on one hand should not matter, it also, given all the other flaws, does matter within the context when you consider possible bias.

If you're looking to read a tale of overcoming overwhelming adversity, this is an okay read. As far as an NDE (near death experience) book, there are better one's out there. "Heaven is for Real" was not only a better read but much more convincing.
on January 3, 2013
This book contained some wonderful descriptions of this man's amazing experiences during his short visit to the Kingdom of Heaven! I was hoping the author would have paid more attention to the details of this time, and that he had devoted more time on this subject....but, much more of the book was devoted to describing the horrific accident he had suffered and the seemingly endless recovery process he had endured. I was a bit disappointed and frustrated by this, because his time in Heaven was what I was expecting to be more fully described. Oh well.
on August 27, 2015
One of the reasons that the book 90 Minutes In Heaven by Don Piper with Cecil Murphy appealed to me is stemmed from part of my intent to increase my understanding of both traditional religion and new age ideas on heaven towards my intent of writing under a username (that definitely is not going to involve the word star). Some of the strong and compelling points of this book;
Piper goes into what he saw and felt during his time in heaven for chapter two.
Pages 78-79 capture his truth of admitting that there was a time where he wanted to go back to heaven and found little comfort in various psychiatrists trying to talk to him on how he was doing.
Pages 130-131 and 134-135-Piper’s discussion with a man who was one of the many who helped pray him back to life and their sense of spiritual urgency. Piper also recalls that whoever might have been holding his hand during the car crash was a benevolent spirit from heaven (i.e. maybe an angel).
Pages 148-152; Other members of Don Piper’s family recall what went through their minds and hearts during and in the aftermath of the events surrounding his recovery (i.e. Piper’s children Nicole, Joe, and Chris as well as his wife Eva).
Pages 166-167; Piper shares how he met his wife Eva at Louisiana State University and the dramatic story of how a person at of his events unexpectedly died soon after at just 20 years of age (to the shock of multiple students who knew him).
The only catch is that there are only some pages out of the 207 page book that covers his time in heaven, however it was still a gripping read. There is more that is tempting to say about this book, but my conscience is guiding me to put aside my own personal spiritual biases out of consideration for the author, other reasons, and a major confession on one major reason why; I admit that I controversially believe in the idea of various realms within heaven and hell even with my interest in the new age and occult arenas, but I believe that there are spirits that are allowed to ascend from the lower darker realms (i.e. the realms in what is called hell) after a period of time depending on the person’s soul and intent to spiritually grow (kind of how a reformed criminal is allowed out of prison after showing the potential to change, but my heart and conscience is guiding me to avoid publicly sharing more within this review). However, I’m still grateful to have come across this book because it helped remind me that I’m more than how I feel on my human ego side when it comes to sometimes feeling prejudged based on my perceived work in progress intelligence/progressing wisdom and a reminder to instead be more grateful/self-confident for what I already have (in addition, the book served as a healing reminder for me to more carefully have my spiritual life be more of a prominent guide as I pursue certain career goals).
on January 26, 2008
I picked up this book because I truly wanted to see what this guy says heaven is like...after all, the book is called 90 Minutes in Heaven...I figured it would talk about his 90 minutes in heaven...but only ONE chapter out of 18 actually talks about what heaven is like. The other 17 chapters deal with his accident and his recovery. Mostly he complains about how much pain he's in and how depressed he is. It follows no structure and he jumps all around the story, back and forth, jumping back to the accident, then to when he can walk, then back to his days in the hospital, then to when he has a bed set up in the living room, then back to when he first arrived at the hospital....it's very irritating and very repetitive. The title is extremely misleading and the book is very poorly written. Not to mention his description of heaven is quite vague and he simply describes it as indescribable. I do not recommend this book. It's a very quick read and I finished it in 2 days, but it was a waste of my time when I could've been reading a GOOD book instead. I don't see how anyone can get anything out of it.