Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$2.75+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 1,728 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,511 reviews
on May 14, 2016
I'm shocked at all the positive reviews. A woman had highly recommended this book when she learned my son had died. I read a lot of related books, and thought I'd give it a try. The first 6 pages are about the author's accident and subsequent entry into heaven. Maybe 10 minutes of his 90 minutes in heaven, if that. The most intriguing part was that he was "declared" dead, until he came back into his body while still at the accident scene pinned in his vehicle. Most of the remaining 160 pages are about his recovery from the accident, and helping other people, most particularly those that were wearing the same contraptions he had to wear during his long recuperation from his injuries. After the first chapter he only alludes to those minutes in heaven while he gives inspiration to others on death and dying.
on October 15, 2015
This story was, for me, a bit too heavy on the religious side. It was obvious (if you've read widely on the subject) that Don only entered into -- what I shall call -- the "front hall" of heaven -- there was a gate through which he could not go, so he did not actually enter the real Hereafter. The account of his actual car accident, terribly injuries, and suffering after returning from Heaven, was so harrowing that I skipped large parts of it. He is to be saluted and congratulated on actually recovering, although I could not find out (did I skip too much?) exactly how well he recovered in the end. All in all, for me -- very subjectively speaking -- a bit too heavy on the religion and therefore not as objective as I would have liked.
I have always been interested in NDE (near death experiences) and will gobble up books on the topic to try to understand just what people experience and how they express - in human words - something so surreal.

I picked up this book after seeing a recent Primetime Nightline with Bob Woodruff called "Beyond Belief" that featured Don Piper. I am sure this recent show helped Mr. Piper sell many more copies of his 2004 book "90 Minutes in Heaven" because of the prominent spotlight he was given on this show. I quickly found a used copy for a penny and ordered it right away. This was not the first time I had seen this book and the recent show just gave me the excuse I needed to purchase the book and delve into Mr. Piper's experience "on the other side".

I have to say, after 30 pages ... the book became very disappointing. I admire Mr. Piper's healing journey and cannot imagine the recovery process. But that isn't really what I bought the book for. I bought the book to get a glimpse of Heaven from someone who has experienced an out of body experience. I did get that - in the most cliche way (well, given the author is a Baptist Minister, I should have expected nothing less). Angels and streets of gold though ... really? Pearly gates? All the Biblical cliches came out mightily in this story. Mr. Piper's experience is shared from his perspective and this can either be embraced or not. The thing is, I wanted more than just 30 pages of "in Heaven" accounts. The book started out so strong and I thought it was going to be a huge page-turner. Instead, a bit disappointing. It's disappointing ONLY because the title is misleading and people like me expecting something different are going to feel a bit deceived.

This is truly a book more looking at "Heaven" from a purely Christian (Baptist) perspective and less a look at afterlife. And even his 90 minutes are exhausted in 30-ish quick moving pages. He mentions that he cannot put into words the buffet his senses partake in ...

Re-title the book to something a little more realistic. This is less a story of afterlife and more a story of a rehabilitation journey. I am not downplaying the author's experience ... but the title is misleading.
on September 5, 2016
90 Minutes in Heaven is more than a faith-based film. It is a faith-enhancing story that not only provides a version of the afterlife, it also provides a vision into the heart and soul of a believer struggling to save his life and his faith, battling depression. One might also marvel at the medical/scientific advancements related to the victim's recovery from near-fatal injuries. The story also testifies to the "suffering," faith, love, and patience of those who had to watch and support him through it. The only criticism I could offer would be casting a Canadian as the lead character doing his best to sound like a southerner in the US. It's not an easy sound to mimic without indigenous exposure. Even so, it was a stellar performance. The special effects in the visuals related to the accident rival any five-star, multimillion dollar budgeted film. I am better for having seen it!
on January 19, 2016
I enjoyed reading '90 Minutes in Heaven.'

First, it is well-written for a book of its type, with a simple, easy-to-read narrative. Second, I found the book's overt subject matter (an accident victim's miraculous survival, and his Heavenly near-death-type experience) to be interesting and engaging, with a solid recounting of the case and its details. However, my favorite part of the book was, ironically, the sub-story, that involving Mr. Piper's arduous recovery and its unexpected byproducts of personal growth and spiritual development. Here, we are presented with the compelling account of one man's physical and psychological trials, and the lasting personal evolution that they produced. Also, we see how one person's experiences and choices can affect countless others in a ripple effect, be it Mr. Piper's incredible survival and the spread of his message, or the events which led to him being in the car accident to begin with, or the many other logistics of the incident and its aftermath. If nothing else, Mr. Piper's story illustrates how nothing happens in isolation, from the "big" to the "small" (and how those labels are all, really, just a matter of perspective and awareness). Whether the reader views the text through a spiritual lens or a purely secular one, the book has much to offer, from the earthbound to the supernatural and everything in-between.

My thanks goes out to this book's authors, subjects, and publisher. I am grateful for, and have benefited from, your work and service.
on October 4, 2015
Purchased this book with the hope that it would be a positive account of heaven, and how it has positively changed this man's life. I am literally halfway through it and could not be more depressed about the fact that I have to pick it back up to read more tonight. Might be the most depressing book I have ever read. It's basically 1 chapter that encompasses his time in heaven... And the rest is dedicated to him whining about how awful his life has been since. Literally whining. I can't imagine how awful it was with the extent of his injuries... I really can't. I truly do empathize for him. However, I have 4 kids that I spend every minute of every day worrying about.. And at the end of the day I have so little in me that I look for books with a positive outlook to help me sleep peacefully and end my day on a relaxing note... Maybe 20 minutes of "me time".... This is nothing of the sort. It's just this depressing read. Page after page. I feel like there was so much opportunity for this to be uplifting and positive. At this point... I don't even want to continue. Ugh.
on April 27, 2016
A well written and very interesting account of his experience. The book is extremely Christian based, which is understandable due to his belief system. I did find it a bit restrictive in that area, since I have more spiritual leanings. I thought his honestly, courage and strength in overcoming such a horrible event were amazing. I do believe in miracles and the power of prayer, and that the collective power of it saved his life. I was most impressed with his honesty about the depression, anger and other psychological struggles he went through during his recovery. His ability to use this experience to help so many other people is commendable.
on February 4, 2016
This product was a personal purchase for myself at the normal retail price. I am reviewing it solely because I want to share my experience with other potential customers. I did not purchase it in connection to a review company. I have received no compensation for my review nor do I have any relationship with the seller or manufacturer of this product. I have had a positive experience with this product it solved the issue that I purchased it for. I appreciate the opportunity to review this item.
on February 8, 2014
Not that great of a book. The first chapter or two is all that you even need to read to find out what Don Piper claims he "saw" in heaven. The entire rest of the book is just filler stuff talking about how he has taken "his show on the road" to gain as much notoriety about it as possible. He's gained a lot of mileage off of this story/book. He's been on the speakers circuit about it for years and years now.

I also think that you have to be exceptionally careful about these "I died and went to heaven books and came back to tell about it." First of all, you'd better be extremely knowledgeable about what is in the Bible. Then.....compare what is told in these stories to what exactly the Bible teaches us about heaven.

If you really want to know more about what we can expect to find/see in heaven (for those who are going there which isn't everybody) then I would recommend you read Randy Alcorn's book title Heaven. It is very biblical and scripturally based. Everything he says in it is backed up by scripture. If he does say something where he can't totally back it up in scripture, then he tells you that it is his educated opinion/guess and he will explain why he feels that way.

I would pass on reading 90 Minutes in Heaven. No meat in it and not scripturally based.

I was going to mention the absolute worst one of these "trips to heaven and back" books but I couldn't remember the name of it. I just searched the first 20 pages of Amazon books looking for books about heaven but coulnd't find it there. However, I did notice that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of books about trips to heaven and back. There must be a lot of money in writing books like that! I would be very careful about what you read in this genre. That one book I'm trying to find the name of was about (if I recall this right) a woman, I'm thinking she was Chinese or something, and she started visiting heaven in her dreams most every night. It was so totally bizarre and totally unbiblical. She must have either been taking some bad drugs or eating way too much pizza! Bizarre! Anyone remember the name of it?
on September 10, 2015
My sister-in-law was adamant that I read this book. I didn't understand her feeling that way. The further into the book, I realized she had been asking the question Why? for many years. Her daughter, my niece was killed in an automobile accident on Christmas Eve leaving behind two young children. This event was difficult for everyone, but my sister-in-law seemed to take it the hardest. By the time I was halfway through the book, I understood her urgency. She (and I) now know that our loved ones are truly no longer suffering and will be waiting for us when we crossover. We are left here on Earth for a reason
Even though we sometimes wonder Why?...........