Anker® 2nd Gen Astro2 9000mAh High Speed 3A Portable External Battery Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for Smartphones, Tablets and More (Black)
This item at this price, sold by Amazon.com, is currently reserved exclusively for Prime members.Prime free trial and invitee customers: We will automatically apply an Amazon.com Gift Card to your Gift Card Balance in the amount equal to the Prime exclusive discount after you become a paid Prime member. If you cancel your paid Prime membership or return the qualifying smartphone within the first 3 months of your paid Prime membership, we may void your Gift Card or charge you in the amount of the Gift Card. Terms and Conditions apply.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 10 million+ powered by Amazon's #1 charging brand.
- Exclusive PowerIQ Technology: Detects your device to deliver its fastest possible charge speed up to 3 amps per port or through two ports.
- Ultra-High Capacity: Charges the iPad mini one and a half times, the Galaxy S5 two and a half times, the iPhone 6 almost four times and other smartphones multiple times. Recharges in 7-8 hours with 1.2 amp adapter (not included) and the included Micr
- Superior Quality: Premium LG cells, cutting-edge circuitry and a sturdy drop-tested exterior ensure durability and safety. Shake to start a charge or check the power level.
- What You Get: Anker 2nd Generation Astro2 Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide, our fan-favorite 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
High-Quality External Battery Packs from AmazonBasics
Safely charge your smartphone or tablet with a portable battery pack from AmazonBasics with power overload protection. Shop now.
Customers who bought this item also bought
- Size (LWH): 2.56 inches, 4.17 inches, 0.98 inches
- Weight: 8.8 ounces
[Product Name] Anker Astro2 second generation [Capacity] 9000mAh [Input voltage] DC 5V / 1A [Input port] microUSB [Out] The maximum 5V/3A (total 3A) [Size] 106x64x25mm [Package Contents] ANKER Astro2 second generation mobile battery body, MicroUSB cable, mesh carrying pouch, Japanese instruction manual In order to use the comfortable and safe, certified cables genuine cable of your device, to third-party organization: The cable supplied with this product or (example: MFI authentication), in order to use optimally it is recommended that before you use it.
Top Customer Reviews
It is a great power resource to keep your USB recharged devices operating on those long work or school days or while you are traveling. This battery pack is a powerful source of power and many people like me are power users of their smart phones and tablets and need a battery like this. If you are constantly using your phone or tablet then you know that they will run out of power sometime during the day or evening. If you are not near an AC wall outlet with your charger or in your car with a charger what can you do? It is especially important to have some way to recharge if you are traveling in a plane, in the middle of a school classroom or on a bus or train. In addition many of the newer tablets are real power hungry devices and it takes a lot to recharge them.
Here is a powerful battery pack with two USB ports. It can charge your tablet devices or charge your smart phone and if you want it can do both of them simultaneously. I charged two iPhones at the same time in my testing. One Smart USB output port is rated at 5 VDC and 2.4 Amps and the other one is rated at 5 VDC and 3 Amps. It uses Lithium-Ion battery technology and carries a 9000 mAh capacity. It can output a total of 3 Amps at one time. This is a medium sized battery pack and it weighs in weighs in at 7 3/4 ounces. This battery pack will fit easily into a brief case, back pack or a computer bag or a medium sized purse. I have included a video of the battery's features and I hope it is helpful to you.
Here are the output details for the two ports based upon the type of device you are trying to charge:
Type of product-----------------Smart Port------Universal Port
iPad IOS 5 and above----------2.4 Amps--------1.5 Amps
iPad below IOS 5----------------2.4 Amps--------N/A
iPhone IOS 5 and above-------1 Amp------------½ Amp
iPhone below IOS 5------------1 Amp------------N/A
Android Phones-----------------1.5 Amps--------1.5 Amps
Android Tablets-----------------2 Amps-----------2 Amps
Samsung Galaxy Tablets------2 Amps-----------N/A
Other cellphones---------------1.5 Amps--------1.5 Amps
When I test a battery I do an extensive set of tests that fully charges the battery and then I use it to charge devices and make sure that it is fully depleted when my tests are done. I time each test and document the results as the test progresses. I then calculate the mAh of capacity that the battery supplied and I then calculate its charging efficiency. This process takes from 3 hours to, in very large batteries, about a day for testing. I don't take any short cuts or guess and every battery has these tests performed on it and documented. This is to assure that the battery is tested and it performs well. If a battery has performed poorly I then run the tests again to verify the results.
What's in the box?
* The Anker 9000 mAh black battery pack
* The battery pack comes with an instruction manual
* The battery does not come with an AC wall charger. Use the Micro USB charging tip for charging the battery. You can use a computer USB 2.0 port to charge the battery pack but it is 9000 mAh and it will take between 18 to 22 hours. The manual states to use a 1.2 Amp USB wall charger and it will take 8 hours but I recommend using a 2.1 amp AC wall charger if you have one.
* One charging cable for the battery pack or your smart devices. It is 12 inches long.
* An Apple 30 pin connector adapter.
* A nice carrying bag
This is a very good product and below I have listed its features and benefits as well as my test data for your review. Please take the time to quickly watch the video and if you have any questions send me a comment and I will try to help you.
The Anker Astro 2 second generation 9000 mAh battery pack features:
* Powerful 9000 mAh capacity specification
* The unit is compact in size and weighs in at 7 ¾ ounces.
* Attractively designed and covered in a rubberized coating that is easy to grip and it hides most fingerprints.
* There is no push button for starting the charging of your device or to read out the battery's charged capacity using LED lights. You have to shake the battery to start a charging process or to read out the battery's charged capacity.
* It has 10 LED lights in a circle that shows the battery charge.
* There are two USB power output ports. The Smart USB is rated at 5VDC at 2.4 Amps. The other USB port is rated at 5 VDC and 3.0 Amps. I could charge my iPhone 4 in one port and my iPad 3 in the other port.
* You can charge two items simultaneously.
* The battery pack can output 3 Amps at one time
* There is no ON button so when you plug in a device just shake the battery and that begins the charging process of your device. When I plugged in my devices the charging started automatically and when my device was charged the Anker battery shut off.
* The battery uses Lithium Ion battery technology.
* The battery pack can be recharged 500+ times
* Warranty is 18 months
Test charging an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4 to measure the output capacity:
Start iPad 2 at 2% and the Anker 9000 mAh battery at full charge.
* 30 min iPad 2 at 14% - 9 LEDs
* 60 min iPad 2 at 25% - 8 LEDs
* 90 min iPad 2 at 42% - 7 LEDs
* 120 min iPad 2 at 53% - 5 LEDs
* 150 min iPad 2 at 64% - 5 LEDs
* 180 min iPad 2 at 74% - 4 LEDs
* 210 min iPad 2 at 84% - 4 LEDs
* 240 min iPad 2 at 89% - 4 LEDs
* 270 min iPad 2 at 93% - 3 LEDs
* 290 min iPad 2 at 100% - 3 LEDs
* I used the cable and connectors supplied with the unit for my testing.
* I then started charging an iPhone4 at 5% and it charged to 55% over night and the Anker battery was dead.
Test results summary:
* Charging the iPad 2 = 98% x 6944 mAh = 6805.12mAh charged.
* Charging the iPhone 4 = 50% x 1420 mAh = 710 mAh charged.
* Total mAh capacity consumed was 7515.12 mAh/9000 mAh = 83.5% of the battery's rated capacity. This is an outstanding result!
Here are some of the mAh charging requirements for common devices:
* iPhone 4 battery 1,420 mAh battery capacity
* iPhone 4S battery 1,432 mAh battery capacity
* iPad 2 battery 6,944 mAh battery capacity
* iPad 3 battery 11,560 mAh battery capacity
* Kindle Fire battery 4400 mAh capacity
* Kindle Keyboard battery 1750 mAh capacity
* iPhone 5 is 3.8 VDC at 5.45 Wh = 1434 mAh battery
* iPad 4 battery is 11,486 mAh 3.7 VDC at 42.5 Wh
* iPad Mini battery is 4490 mAh at 3.72 VDC 16.7 Wh
As you can see the Anker Astro 2 second generation 9000 will fully charge a totally dead iPad 2 but not an iPad 3 or 4 because it contains 9000 mAh of capacity. You have to consider the losses in the charging circuits of both the battery pack and the device you are charging. Energy is lost during the voltage conversion, used by the electronics of the battery pack and your device and by the generation of heat.
Anker Astro 2 second generation 9000 mAh battery pack device charging real world experience:
* iPhone 4 or 5 approximately 5.29 full charges out of a fully charged Anker 9000 mAh Portable Power Bank
* iPad 2 approximately 108% of a full charge
* iPad 3 or 4 approximately 65% of a full charge
* iPad Mini approximately 167% of a full charge
* Kindle Fire approximately 171% of a full charge
* A normal estimated usable storage is 70% of capacity or .70 * 9000 mAh = 6300 mAh charging capacity available for your electronic devices.
* In my testing I was able to use approximately 7515.12 mAh of capacity or roughly 83.5% of the 9000 mAh capacity. This is an outstanding performance for this battery.
This is a great product and deserves a 5 Star rating!
I received a sample product for evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
Many hotels still don't have convenient plugins by the bedside table. Rather than running an extension chord or leaving my phone or tablet where I can't reach them, I just plug them into my Anker external battery overnight. Then I charge the Anker while I'm out during the day. It will easily charge both my Nook HD+ tablet and iPhone with enough power left for maybe a couple more phone charges or one more tablet charge, though I usually recharge it. My wife has an older Anker charger for her phone and it also works great. I just bought our daughter the 12000mA version. I remember walking around Chicago as a tourist last summer with my wife's Anker in my pocket charging my cell phone. There was certainly a bulge to my pocket, but I could stay in contact with my wife and daughter when we were apart. And, after all, I was a tourist.
I would recommend this for anyone with a cell phone or tablet. They're great.
After looking at all sorts of batteries and reviews on Amazon I decided to call Anker's customer service number to try to get a recommendation. I wasn't expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised when I reached a U.S. based customer service representative who was extremely helpful. She discussed the pros and cons of the various models I was considering, and wound up recommending the Astro2. About a week after my purchase I even received a follow-up e-mail from Anker letting me know that they are always available to provide support which just capped off a level of customer service that is rare today.
The battery itself appears to be very well made. It has a nice rubberized coating and comes in a padded mesh bag. The included micro USB cable and 30 pin adapter work well with my iPhone 4s, but those with Lightning devices will have to use their own cable. It is a about the diameter of a pack of cards but a little thicker, and has no buttons. The led charge indicator is not visible unless you shake the battery to wake it up, and is in the form of a segmented ring. All in all I like the design very much.
I would recommend this to someone with needs similar to mine, or would recommend other Anker models to those with different external battery needs based upon the quality of the products as well as customer support.