BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on October 13, 2014
99 pieces of music for $5 is an awesome deal, (one reason I love classical music!) but I agree with some of the other reviewers who state that not all of the music exactly fits into the "darkest pieces of classical music" category. Maybe whoever complied this collection thought that because certain pieces were played exceedingly slow they could be classified as "dark"? I bought this so that I wouldn't have to go to YouTube every time I wanted to listen to, for instance, "Danse Macabre" but this particular recording just doesn't have the magic sparkle that the version that I fell in love with does. Also, why does "O Fortuna" end so abruptly? And wtf is up with "Night on Bald/Bare Mountain" around the 4:47-4:56 mark? I hate that dramatically slows down for no apparent reason (granted I know that there are different versions of this pieces that I am not entirely familiar with so maybe this is standard). Despite all this I am pleased with my purchase because it saved me the hassle of finding individual tracks. I guess my biggest issue is with some of the recordings that were chosen but I'm sure I'll get used to them in time.
on November 25, 2010
This is the best bargain I have bought in my entire life of 29 years. I'm only at track 16 and I can already tell that this is well worth the two dollars. I'm a man who listens to most genres of music, and this is the first collection of classical music that I ever bought...and I am one happy man. There are so many songs that give me memories of great movies, my middle school music class, and of course it is brewing new ones as I speak (or typing this review). Even if you're not a fan of classical music, I still suggest that you purchase this product. YOU WILL find something you'll like on this. BUY NOW! It's only two dollars for 11 hours of timeless music that defines the era of man.
P.S.
If you're one of those people who think that classical music is just for rich snobs or old farts, think again. The last two albums I purchased from Amazon were by Black Label Society and Slayer.
on August 9, 2016
There are so many wonderful pieces on this collection. Some are surprising, to be considered 'Darkest'. Some are pretty lighthearted, but, there are some wonderful pieces Carmina Burana, O Fortuna, Romeo and Juliet, the Danse Macabre, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Toccata and Fugue I D Minor, etc, etc. I have not listened to the entire collection yet, but, I plan to do so while I game. Anyone who has a love for pieces like Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, or, Stravinsky's Rites of Spring, should enjoy this collection.
on March 8, 2013
This is an excellent compilation of stirring and powerful classical masterpieces. Not truly dark for the most part, but emotive compositions that I find stimulating and soothing at times.

Very well-produced, the quality of the recordings is very good, performed by competent performers/orchestras. These may not be the most inspired versions of these pieces you will "ever hear" but, each is very well done and thoroughly satisfying.

The pacing is also well-considered and the transitions between powerful pieces is massaged to avoid grating the listener. For example, some of the pauses between pieces can be unusually long, allowing the listener time to acclimate to silence before yet another piece begins.

The low price of the MP3 version is a bargain and I recommend this for beginners as well as for the initiated as a form of indulgence since listening requires no investment in effort (although perhaps not for the connoisseur who is looking for "the finest performance of all time").

In summary, easily accessible, high-quality performances of some of the most moving pieces of classical music, 99 in all at a bargain price.
on January 16, 2013
While many of the works are listed as the 'darkest' pieces of classical music, the first thing that should be said is that many of the recordings are by the London Philharmonic and are excellent renditions by world class musicians. You'll find you recognize many of the pieces from both film and TV, but only a very few of the 99 pieces were not to my liking. Considering the price and the number of works included, this is a fine album.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2016
Really enjoyed this collection. A few are ones I recognized (heard before), but most I was unfamiliar with. You get a lot of music for the price. I'm happy with my purchase.
on March 1, 2012
I agree with everyone leaving reviews...totally worth it. I have been listening to classical music all my life and this collection is absolutely the best compilation of masterpieces for someone motivated by powerful and dramatic sound. I found 57/99 of the songs best reflect the title "Dark". Here are my choice songs by song number:

Rated 5 Star
5,6,9,12,14,15,,,17,,,20,26,27,29,30,31,33,35,37,38,40,44,47,50,53,54,57,60,62,63,70,77,81,84,88,89,93,94,95,96,97,98

Rated 4 Star
23,45,46,48,51,55,56,58,59,61,68,69,71,72,73,78,83,91

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is 17. Unfortunately, you will only be able to hear a sample of the song but I wish you could the whole song because it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end! One last thing...Amazon doesn't seem to publish the bit-rate but when I bought the album and downloaded my songs, I used a popular license-free player that shows real-time bit-rate during playback and the playback bit-rate seems to be variable at around 190-256kbps. I played this album on professional audio equipment and at high volume there is little-to-no "hiss" from the compression; so, the encoding produced more than adequate sound quality.

I hope my succinct review helps motivate your decision.
on August 4, 2017
Good mp3 album if u like classical music a real must have
on January 18, 2014
There are a lot of pieces here that you will recognize as theme songs or background in your favorite shows or movies. I put this music on and went through my workday without realizing that I was really working, LOL. This is the perfect backdrop, but it is also something you can just sit and enjoy for the sake of the music. The arrangements were good. The recording quality was good. I recommend it to anyone who needs to take their shoulders out of their ears for a bit. These are pieces that invite you in to ride the waves and swells. There are so many you can either follow the list or create several play lists just from here, according to the tone and pace you would like to have. I just love it!
VINE VOICEon February 14, 2011
This is an incredible deal. I was simply looking for "Hall of the Mountain King," and realized I could get this whole album for just a few dollars more! It's hard to rate an album with 99 (99!) separate tracks, but I will say this - having listened through it twice thus far, there are certainly no bad tracks. In fact, most of them are beautiful classical pieces and icons of the genre. To my (somewhat inexperienced) ears, the sound quality is superb and crystal clear.

This certainly isn't one of those "bargain albums" with horrible sound and lousy tracks nobody would ever want. I can't think of any reason why this album is priced so cheap. There are plenty of tough shopping choices one faces in life - I can swear this isn't one of them.