BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

A Christmas Carol
Format: DVD|Change

on January 22, 2017
I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Is it the absolute best rendition? Not really. Is it good? Yes. There isn't anything wrong with the way Patrick portrays Scrooge. I find him pretty good. I'm not sure what other people are talking about with the production quality. It is appropriate and well done. The special effects are properly used and are not particularly cheesy. Also I don't understand comments about Scrooge not realizing it was his own grave; in every version I have seen that is the case. I can't speak to the original story as I have not read it in over 25 years, but as movies go, that's what I've always seen. For $5 it's worth a watch.
on March 5, 2017
Had to take a star off because I think this skipped many of the best parts of the book but that is usual with any movie. Patrick Stewart is by far the best Scrooge ever and the other performances do well. The special effects are merely adequate (the other reason I couldn't really give it 5 stars) .
Remake of the classic with a couple minor changes to the original script. Patrick Stewart made an excellent Scrooge. Enjoy watching it yearly along with the remake staring George C. Scott and a lesser known film starring Henry Winkler called An American Christmas Carol which is also a good film.
on June 12, 2017
I got this dvd as a Christmas gift for a friend last year. I have a copy and, of course, everyone knows the story, but Sir Patrick Stewart is a particularly wicked, awful Scrooge. It's very well done, and if you are able to obtain or borrow a copy, by all means, do so. One of my Holiday Favorites!
on December 16, 2016
Stewart is somehow even more threatening as Scrooge than George C Scott who has always been the high-bar for me. This story has been told so often it is at the risk of drowning in bad effects and over acting - not so with this version. A+
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2006
Perhaps it's because he spent many years doing a one-man show version of Dickens' Christmas Carol, but Patrick Stewart is just utterly believable as Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Yes, the fact that it is filmed in England, with many snowy scenes, both in town and on country roads does add to the impact of this Christmas Carol.

Old Fezziwig's office party uses period instruments, which helps transport us back to Ebeneezer's youth. They just have a rollicking good party, which makes Scrooge nostalgic for his "un-spent" youth--youth he wasted by never enjoying it.

Old Shakespearean actor, Trevor Peacock amplifies the impact of the story through his portrayal of the "fence" who buys the dead Scrooge's belongings from thieves. This helps Scrooge realize that he can't take it with him.

There are also some special effects which contribute to the drama of the spirit visitors, but what really makes this show is Patrick Stewart.

Yes, I still really enjoy George C. Scott's Scrooge, but in this production, Stewart earns his position as an outstanding Scrooge.
on January 30, 2014
I love Patrick Stewart as Mr. Scrooge. He does a good job in portraying the cold-hearted miser-turned-philanthropist. I will add that I grew up on George C. Scott's version (1984) of this classic tale and I have that DVD as well. The Scott version is more sentimental to me but I must say that Stewart's version is a solid performance. The others, Albert Finney (1970) and Noel Langley (1951), are respectable, and Jim Carrey's animated version (2009) is fun. But for that classical touch, you can't go too wrong with the Stewart version. Enjoy!
on January 4, 2017
This is one of the most true to the book ones our there. Combine that with an excellent performance by Patric Stewart it is one of my favorite versions.
It is not perfect though, mostly in the special effects area. Multiple people I have watched it with have complained about some of the design decisions made for the Ghost of Christmas Past, especially the inconsistent and jarring glow effect. The Ghost of Christmas Future also seems to be crudely done (very obviously side sort of framework sitting on an actor's shoulders) which slightly detracts from his impact. Considering how well they did on Marley's ghost it is quite a contrast.
on January 7, 2012
Well, it's 7 January. This DVD was supposed to be here a week ago. Still, I've seen the movie before and was interested enough to order the film so let's see if I can offer anything useful. Patrick Steward is a consummate actor although he doesn't really cry very well - neither here or in anything else I've seen him do. We all know the story so the draw is how well the actors portray their roles. This style may not be for everyone, it's a bit dark, but all the better for the redemptive message. It seems clear to me that everyone enjoyed what they were doing which, of course, makes the movie enjoyable. I'm afraid that's all I can offer without a fresh viewing. I DO wish my copy would show up!
on January 25, 2014
I had almost finished my original, in-depth attempt at this review when my computer crashed. So I will try again.
I own more than one version of Dickens' classic, A Christmas Carol, and the 1984 version with George C. Scott has always been my favorite. I'm happy to say that this version is at least an equal to that. I can't say that it is better (for reasons I will discuss below), but it certainly adds a competitive flair to my Christmas movie library.

Positive points include:
First off, Patrick Stewart is, as one might expect, positively brilliant as Ebenezer Scrooge. He doesn't just *play* the part. He IS the part and, for 70 glorious minutes, you forget that he has ever been anyone but Scrooge.
The supporting cast is well chosen, from the most seen to the "minor" roles we could not do without. Richard Grant is everything one could ask for in Bob Cratchit, and Ian McNeice's Fezziwig made me smile uncontrollably.
David Hugh Jones showed remarkable restraint by not clouding the story with Hollywood's obsessive need for overwhelming special effects.
The scene-to-scene transitions are relatively flawless, and definitely not the cheesy transitions of yesteryear (although I personally enjoy some of those cheesy reels every bit as much now as the first time I saw them).

Less positive points (not necessarily negative, just my own preference) include:
Bernard Lloyd's Marley appears much more human than Frank Finlay's 1984 rendition (and much less chilling), but I found him wanting in the ghostly visitation department. I think that Finlay's portrayal was more touching, more desperate to help Scrooge find his misplaced humanity. That is not to take away from Lloyd's performance. He is quite good, but his words ring a little hollow for all the emotion in his expression, like a career criminal trying to convince the parole board he is a changed man.
Likewise lacking is the Ghost of Christmas Present. Of course, I don't believe that anyone will ever top Edward Woodward's portrayal. From the booming laugh and gaiety marking his arrival to his prediction of Tiny Tim's future to the moment he lifts his robe to display the children of mankind, Ignorance and Want, Woodward nailed it. In this version, the Ghost of Christmas Present (portrayed by Desmond Barrit) becomes gaunt and hollow-eyed, a wheezing harbinger of doom. Here is Christmas Spirit with one foot in the grave and the other on ice. Yes, I realize that the Spirit of Christmas Present grew noticeably older as the night wore on, but this version went to the extreme.
Ignorance and Want, the "children of mankind" hidden under the robe of the Ghost of Christmas Present, were also extreme. There was something compelling about the way the pair stood - silent, abject, and defeated - in the 1984 version. Dickens wrote: "They were a boy and girl. Yellow, meagre, ragged, scowling, wolfish; but prostrate, too, in their humility." The hissing, pawing pair of this new film are a bit over the top for my liking.
As at least one other reviewer mentioned, this version is a bit too clean. The scenery lacks the grittiness of the earlier versions.