Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,458 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,945 reviews
on August 24, 2016
I am well educated by modern western standards - I have a masters degree in electrical engineering, and a masters degree in business (MBA)...I am middle-aged so I have had plenty of time to witness life on earth...I was also in the US Navy at an early age...I hope this gives you a context for my review........I have to honestly say, without any reservation, from the bottom of my heart - that this is the single MOST IMPORTANT book - rather EDUCATION - of my entire life...Nothing else comes close....If you are seeking true happiness, inner peace, would like to really internalize "why you are here", this is the best work around....If you want to learn how to deal with your resentment, prejudices, and maybe most-importantly, ego - this book will do it for you. And if you don't think you have any of these issues - perhaps you need this book even more!...This book goes beyond formal religion (which I do not partake in), beyond meditation (which I've practiced for ~30 years), and beyond the Bible (which I've read but didn't really "internalize")....I am about half way through the lessons (this is the part you should focus on - the other parts are optional), and I look forward every morning to reading a new lesson - or internalizing the previous lesson...I like this book so much I am going to give out about 7 copies for the holiday's to family and friends......And for any of you with significant health challenges (like me) - what you learn from this book will help you.....Start with lesson one, practice each lesson, have patients, and before you know it - you will see the light....As far as some of the reviews on here that were not so kind, I will not pass judgment of these folks - but wish them well in there journey to "seeing the light".
66 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
The most shocking thing you'll notice if you open A Course In Miracles is the deceivingly pretentious introduction that never fails to spark intrigue.

And by that I mean, ahem!... Check out the first five sentences...

"This is a course in miracles. It is a required course. Only the time you take it is voluntary. Free will does not mean that you can establish the curriculum. It means only that you can elect what you want to take at a given time."

Required?

The only choice is when I take it at any-given-time?

And yet, there is enormous wisdom in it.

It takes browsing a few pages to realize that actually, it is required, because it is the only spiritual message there is.

It is the same message we hear from anyone that has ever grown into spiritual high levels and tried to tell us how to join them. It is the way.

Yes, there is a heavy "Christian" tone to the book. BUT, to my surprise, and unlike the stories I heard in both, catholic-elementary AND catholic-high-school (such was my luck) --- this book interprets things correctly.

For example... take a contentious phrase, something like: "revenge is mine".

Can you imagine how someone can 'interpret' that to a captivated audience of easily scared listeners? or, worse, can you imagine the reaction of someone who may be furious and stumbling on such a page?

It could be dangerous.

But the book makes the meaning clear, at least for me..... this is what it says (I paraphrase):

Revenge is mine means you NEVER take revenge. You do the right thing, but you do not take revenge because the results of the actions of s/he, whom you perceive as your perpetrator, are NOT up to you, but up to a higher power.

Phew!

Early this year I took to A Course In Miracles again and found gems within it. I wanted to share some of the most interesting ones with you.

Here they are:

1.- INFINITE PATIENCE DELIVERS IMMEDIATE RESULTS

The first time I read this one I laughed. I mean, c'mon! Immediate results, oh yeah, ha ha ha.

I decided I to put it to the test, that very day. I needed to open a new bank account, and I knew these things take forever. Also I kind of needed it to work because I was already late for work. So I wanted it to work.

When the bank representative asked for the usual documents and apologized for the computer being slow, I took it as a sign. I said to myself: infinite patience delivers immediate results. Then...

I said to him: "Take your time. No rush at all". (I was sweating inside)

But I meant it.

The account was open within 12 minutes (I tracked it). I've never seen that happen in a NYC bank before. I was early for work.

You see, the thing with this spell is that it has magic in it: it removes "time" from the equation.

The first part has the word "infinite" in it: We are outside of time, no beginning, no end, NO TIME.
That in turn, is coupled with "patience", which is a human demonstration of infinity.

The second part has the word "immediate" in it, which means NOW. NO TIME. And it is coupled with the word "result", meaning: something happens, NOW.

NO TIME = INFINITY = NO TIME = SOMETHING HAPPENS NOW.

And all we had to do was have an open mind and remember the affirmation.

Stepping into the present with an open heart (as you would if you really wanted it to work), gives you an advantage...

You are operating from infinity.

Try it. You tell me.

2.- A MIRACLE IS A SHIFT IN PERCEPTION

The power of an alchemist lies not in turning dust into gold. That is just a metaphor to show the strength of the mind that lies behind such a miracle.

A real miracle is one that happens when in spite of desperation, hurt, defeat, bankruptcy, we still shift our perception from lack, to abundance.

We have our feet on the ground, we know where we are, but we also trust the infinite force that is keeping us alive right now, and we know we are abundant, in this moment, because we are here.

How is that for a miracle?

The Course in Miracles re-defines the meaning of a 'miracle' as something quite mundane which we can do only if we are strong enough.

Why do we need to be strong enough? Because changing our habits is not easy.

Looking at a situation in a different light requires humility. We need to feel the fire of anger, let it go, and re-open our minds for new possibilities.

The stuff of alchemists...

3.- I DON'T PERCEIVE MY OWN BEST INTERESTS

This one blew my mind right of its skull.

I mean, how true is that? Give it a minute, let it sink in.

There is a story of that enlightened monk who, one night, gets a visit from the parents of the teen-age girl that lives next door.

The parents are furious, and they accuse him of getting their daughter pregnant. They tell him he will have to look after the baby. And that they will tell everyone in the village. That he is a fraud.

The monk says: Is that so?

No reaction. He is aware that he does not perceive his own best interests.

The baby is born. He takes care of it. And the monk's reputation is ruined, of course.

A year later the parents come back and apologize, they tell him their daughter confessed that the child was fathered by the butcher. And, that they want the baby back.

The monk says: Is that so?

The baby goes back to his parents.

The monk's reputation is restored. Further, perhaps he now becomes a legend.

We are talking about it now.

The story survives because there is truth in it.

---

How does that introduction I told you about in the beginning continue? Check out the next two lines...

"The course does not aim at teaching the meaning of love, for that is beyond what can be taught. It does aim, however, at removing the blocks to the awareness of love's presence, which is your natural inheritance."

And removing the veils to our awareness is what we do in our practice every day.

Here is to YOU, Dear Veils: Take your time to clear yourselves from my perception.

Take all the time you need...

I have infinite patience...
44 comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2014
Reading the Course is a feat in itself, but the spiritual comfort it provides is immeasurable. There are Course study groups throumout the world to assist you but each group will be running through it at different speeds and n an Assortment. Of studying angles, just find a group you are comfortable with. I have popped I into groups.
From Hawaii to
D. C and was always welcomed with open arms as they apply what the Course teaches, to love your brothers and sisters and answer the call for love:
on September 29, 2014
This book is remarkable as it gives us a straight forward way to connect with our Divine. It is simple and complicated at the same time. When we chose to have the knowledge of Good & Evil we really complicated things and they have remained that way. It is a personal search that is completed by each individual with help from the Holy Spirit. It is like an onion it has many layers. What I first found objectionable is now what I consider its best part. If you are very lucky you will find a divinely inspired teacher to help you with it. Also a friend studying it also so you can discuss it is very helpful.
on February 8, 2013
I love reading this book. It feels like I'm reading something directly from heaven.

We are all spiritual beings having a human experience. So it's nice to read something from the eternities. If you are interested in getting guidance from Home, you'll love this book.

Susan Fox
Freelance Copywriter
Author of The Coma Whisperer
Brain Dialog Researcher
on September 17, 2016
This is one book I'd recommend to everyone. Why you ask?
If ever you wondered "why, what, who, this is where I have found the best answers to those questions.
In addition it plants the seed of a true world peace.
on February 17, 2017
love this book. still reading it. keeps me grounded. shipping was great too. Had it in no time at all.
on August 16, 2016
Still reading this extensive book but I must say that it is slowly transforming my thinking by methodically retraining my approach to spirituality and connection to God. Worth a read for those on a spiritual journey and seeking truth.
on April 6, 2014
I have to admit that "A Course In Miracles" can be a bit heavy and hard to follow. My husband and I have been reading it with a study group and that really helps. With that said, it is absolutely worth the effort. ACIM offers a new way of looking at ourselves and our brothers and sisters. The Course terminology is decidedly Christian, but I would say that the content is probably more Buddhist. People who grew up in strongly religious homes might take issue with the Course's unique interpretation of the Christian Bible.
The bottom line, for me, is that studying this book has really opened my heart to love. I highly recommend it.
on May 4, 2011
I have heard about A Course in Miracles for 15 years, yet until I purchased it recently, I had not participated in what it has to teach about how God works in our lives. I am 22 days into the 365 day course. Already it is changing my perception so that I can see more clearly, think more positively, and be happy about being on a corrective course that I believe will make me stronger with each passing day. I highly recommend ACIM for anyone who is on a spiritual path, or otherwise anyone who is seeking happiness in their life.