BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

A Hip-Hop Story
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$8.75+ Free shipping

on January 8, 2017
My boyfriend recommended this book and I was hooked. I love the ending and the story plot.
on August 16, 2013
Got for my boyfriend and he loves this book, he has read it before and lost his first copy so I purchased him another
on March 26, 2004
I want to commend Heru for his novel. I just finished the book and I feel emotionally attached to it. The last time I have ever felt an attachment to a piece such as this was a novel I read in my "Crime and Punishment in American Literature" class. I did not have much knowledge of the hip-hop industry, but now I think I have a better understanding. I think however that the back cover of the novel is misleading, but in a good way. After reading this novel to just simply say it is a love story really does not capture how magnificient this story is. Micah to me is the most interesting character. I believe he is the Flawless Erika fell in love with. As flawless kept saying in repsonse to Micah "this name", he never acknowledged him as a person when he was around or when Erika was explaining her love for him, I think his character was not meant for human existence but rather for a loving spirit that took on likeness to Flawless. I respect Hannibal the most, and I fell in love with Flawless. Truely an excellent book, much success in the future with the movie. Might I suggest DMX to play Hannibal's character?
on March 27, 2004
After reading a Hip-Hop Story I was very moved by the creativity and thoughts of an obvious master of words. After living in NYC for many years I have been exposed to much of the culture written about in this book. I am beyond impressed that someone of Heru's insight and abilities can tell the truth so boldly about the influence of the media and critique the politics of the "right" with force and accuracy. I strive to teach my students in a very republican/white suburb to open their eyes and see the world around them. I have my classes working on an original task: "The Malice of Hate" where they must read any book relating to any type of prejudice and write critiques of the media while submitting them to the companies guilty of discrimination and perpetuating the language of exclusion. A Hip Hop Story was my selection, as I model reading for my kids, and it was the best book that I have read since Native Son. As a teacher of English, I know the power and importance of wielding the written word, and Heru Ptah is a master.
on April 18, 2004
"A Hip Hop Story" is the absolute best work of fiction focusing on hip hop out today. It is written in a beautiful, even poetic manner. Heru Ptah gives us all things that hip hop covers - battling, politics, loneliness at the top, your crew, the music industry, philosophy, misogyny, and so many more things that any true hip hop lover will embrace. Don't get it twisted, this book is long, but you will want to follow it to the end to see what happens. As you read you'll find resemblances to Tupac and Biggie, God bless the dead. The book conveys thoughts either one of these great artists may have had when they were living. This is also a book for those that may not love hip hop, it gives an understanding of the culture. I commend Heru for writing such an intelligent and thought provoking work of fiction and would like to read more fiction from this author. All hip hop artists should be required to read this book as an introduction into the industry. Buy this book, it will be money well spent.
on April 3, 2004
I bought A HipHop Story,whilst I was on the subway in New York in 2003.I felt attached to the book whilst reading it because I identifed with the characters in the book. I was very sad when my most favourable character left the scene. I felt that the book showed me a different side to love, the fact of being in love and being loved. I felt that I learnt a lot from reading this book.The book is remarkable, reading the book helped me identify with the characters and i felt that the book dealt with a lot of issues which were important to todays society. The issues are important to explore, to give an insight to the readers. After reading the book I feel like i needed another book to fill the void of this book.This has been my best buy to date. Thanks to Heru Ptah for writing such an insipring book, I await his next publication.
on November 9, 2004
You will be full of emotion by the end of this book. Its' about rappers on the streets of the Bronx. If you love hip hop you will want to know what really happens to rappers on the streets. Flawless the main character is seeking respect to pull ahead of the game. Many rappers are trying to fulfill a dream. Who will succeed in this dream of theirs. Its a tough book and romantic in some ways. If you have or had a tough life in the ghetto you will be able to relate to this book. If you're not street smart this book will not make much sense. This book has lots of ghetto words that only certain people would understand. You have to be sure you like books like this or you will not like it. The way rappers freestyle and battle eachother are amazing. You will see lots of talent and greed.
on April 2, 2004
Okay, the story is great. THe ending is ... shocking. Being a high school sophomore, half of these words were...above my level. They seemed like SAT words. But I felt a little smarter. The short-lived love story within the book is the best. But the story really shows what the business can be like. Reminds me a lot of Pac and Biggie thought. Heru must have got his inspiration from that "incident". I have read it three times already. I also love the fact that its long, 4 hundred and something pages, which means the author went more in depth without adding millions of exra-unwanted characters. Hope everyone reads this, young and old.
on March 29, 2004
A masterpiece
I read an advance copy sent to a magazine, and I gotta say this book is amazing. I have been meaning to write a review but after seeing Heru on CNN doing his thing, I was convinced I souldn't put it off any longer. The book is an incredibly intelligent story about two rival rappers as they keep crossing paths. It's realistic to the point of being painful as it shows elements of Tupac, Biggie, Nas and Jay-Z. If you love Hip-Hop then you should read this. If you don't love Hip-Hop then you need to read this to understand why the rest of us love it with such passion.
on October 21, 2003
Being that I'm not a big hip hop fanatic, I must say that I couldn't put this book down. I actually finished reading the book in one day. Heru Ptah has not only captured the true nitty gritty essence of the "hip hop industry", but created memborable/complex characters in the storyline. This book will definitely be a classic, it's the first real novel about hip hop and mc battles. It's Gen X and Gen Y's version of "West Side Story".
A MUST READ FOR ANY FICTION FAN!!!