Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on April 19, 2015
I purchased the kindle version of this book as part of the required reading for a History class I am taking. The book is well-written and informative. There have been many times that I have used this book as the main source for papers and discussion assignments. It gives a comprehensive history of the Middle East, including the roles of Islam, interference and support from the West and East, and how the countries we know today came into existence. The only reason I did not give the book 5 stars is because the kindle version does not have page numbers. If I were reading this book for my own enjoyment, this would not have been a problem, but because I needed this book for a class, it was difficult to quote the book as a source with no page numbers. I had to use the Index a lot to count back or forward to the page I needed. The Index is also cut off, so the first two words or so of each entry are cut off, which makes is difficult to find the topic for which I am searching. Other than these formatting issues, the book would have received 5 stars.
on December 25, 2015
I purchased this book as part of the required reading for a college course. I was surprised at how easy it was to read and how much it kept my attention. I did not want to put the book down. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to invest the time to learn about the history of the Middle East.
on April 30, 2016
One of the best textbooks on the Middle East! Cleveland is an excellent author and historian, would definitely recommend this book to those who are interested in learning about the ME.
on May 5, 2017
I am an amateur student of Middle East history and current events, it's more of a hobby. I have read several books of varying types and I just can't put this one down. The chapters are well organized and it is written in plain, easy to read text. I highly recommend it.
on March 31, 2016
The book is sometimes light on detail when discussing matters such as the Lebanese Civil War and the massacre in Hamas, but it does a great job of educating the reader about historical trends and how they relate to each other. It also moves between country histories and regional history smoothly. If your interest is in North Africa, this is not the best book for you.
on February 1, 2016
Excellent, decently specified history of the Middle East, wonderful book to own and read chapter by chapter when you have time. Try a chapter or 2 a day or every couple of days
on August 14, 2017
good
on June 5, 2017
Extremely informative!!!!!! I learned so much from this book!! Would 10/10 recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about the Middle East.
on March 25, 2017
Essential reading for anyone serious about understanding the region, doing business in te region, gaining a better appreciation of Islam and Islamic culture. Fantastic, comprehensive work!
on June 7, 2017
Needed it for my class. Found it cheap here!