Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now TG18PP_gno

A Japanese Touch for Your Garden
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$13.96+ $5.89 shipping

on August 23, 2003
Not a coffee table glamour book, not a glossed-over editorial toss-off destined for the remainder bin. This is quite simply the best guidebook for the amateur of the Japanese garden who wishes to try out the concepts at home.
It can be very frustrating to take home some fancy book on Zen gardens, only to find that it contains no real help for creating one. This book's real, step-by-step, practical advice is what anyone is after. It does not pretend to be the end-all of the art, & rather it admits this right from the title (A Japanese TOUCH...) This book will get you the right LOOK.
I found especially useful the diagrams of how to get balance (especially through rocks) within a space. There are some very good illustrations of bamboo fencing, too. Botanical suggestions and lists of suppliers are also helpful, but these lists are not exhaustive. You can achieve the basic framework with this book, though. I have yet to find a better Japanese gardening book... room for improvement is in expanding the above lists and adding practical suggestions for more ambitious, larger landscaping. But this will get you the basics.
Bonus delight is the first entry, a mood-setting piece on one man's contemplation of mountains and forests... all to be found in his tiny Japanese garden.
Grab a copy and use it and love your results!
67 people found this helpful
on June 11, 2007
This book shows how to use essential elements such as rocks, plants, laterns, and boulders etc., within a space. The diagrams in the book illustrated how to use those elements to balance and compensate each other and make your garden looks much bigger and more appealing to the viewers.

A great book to read before you start your weekend garden project. This book will give you inspiration and give your spirit alift. I built my Japanese Rock Garden after reading this book and other book that I bought "Ortho's All About Creating Japanese Gardens". A great garden will add value to your home so did my garden -- a friend of mine who is a realestate appraiser told me that I must added about $30,000 to my property although I spent only about $5000 on the materials.

Highly recommanded for anyone who are interested about Japanese Garden or do it youself gardener!!!!!
6 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2017
This is a used paperback book that arrived on time and in the condition described. It's mostly in color and has lots of great info, as well as diagrams. I would recommend it for anyone considering making a Japanese garden. I would order from this seller again.
on March 7, 2017
Lots of great pictures of Japanese gardens. This book prepared me for the beautiful gardens in Kyoto when I visited there.
on March 10, 2008
this book is a good accompanyment to other Japanese gardening books. Definitely not to decorate a coffee table, but to practically show one options (various bridges, paths, fencing, ponds, etc) that one can incorporate into their garden for a japanese feel. I especially liked the detailed garden sketch at the end of the book showing an example of what to plant where. I would have assumed much fewer plants from the pictures than what the author sketched in. This will come in extremely helpfully come planting time!
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2011
I was very excited to get this book based on the glowing reviews. However, as a novice gardener, I find this book heavy on theory and pictures but too light on practical implementation. I am inspired by the tranquil pictures but I was hoping for detailed diagrams of which plants to use and where to plant them for each garden pictured.
One person found this helpful
on January 15, 2017
inspiring
on February 12, 2013
Even though I live in an area with little rainfall, I always enjoyed the Japanese Garden. With this book, I realized that you don't have to have a large garden. I'm able to create that "small" space garden incorporating the Japanese style.
on October 31, 2014
Professional photos, magical world of traditional Japanese garden, meticulously executed drawings. And most importantly - 100% relevant to the topic of the book. Rare edition today.
One person found this helpful
on August 16, 2013
Beginning my own garden at last, this book gave me additional ideas without going into the enormous history of Japanese Gardening.