Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

A Land Remembered
Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 8, 2017
I stayed glued to this novel, always hoping for one of two things: 1., to know the approximate physical location of each happening in the story in relation to today's geographic names, and, 2., a satisfactory ending for this family that risked so much. Well, I got to the end without either hope being satisfied! Nevertheless, it held my interest the whole way through and left me with a desire to know much more about Florida's real past.

I would love to have had a map depicting different places even if some were fictitious.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 20, 2017
Wonderful book about Florida's history through fates of ordinary people . Great read. That's why this book was nominated many times for different prizes. It worth is. I will recommend every Floridian and every person planning to move here to read it - so you would love our Florida even more.
on July 30, 2017
I am a Florida transplant from Chicago. After living here since 1983 I have chosen to assimilate and have had a wonderful teacher in my father-in-law, a Florida native and genuine Florida Cracker from the panhandle. This book engaged me from the first page. I truly love this book. It's old school for sure and will make you appreciate where we came from and where we are going...at warp speed.
on June 25, 2017
Having grown up in South FLorida, I have see tremendous change and growth. As a young boy, riding my bicycle 10 miles to go fish off Dania Pier, or just explore the area around Hollywood, hanging out at the beach all day, fishing, or diving.
It was a great time to grow up in Hollywood.

But now the traffic, and the rude people, are becoming quite intolerable!

After 57 years in South Florida, I look forward to getting away to a more peaceful place!

I completely understand how and why Sol yearns for the "good old days"

This book effectively takes us back to the Pioneer adventure!
on May 25, 2013
I work with 4th grade gifted students in Delray Beach, Florida and we have read the student's edition for the last 2 years. The students get so involved in the book that we forget that it is time for lunch. My student's read in voices that take on a life of their own. The student's learn so much about Florida's history in this book that the student's parents even want to read it as well. There are some parts that can be a little disturbing for younger more sensitive readers but if you explain about the "wildness" of the times without law it can easily ease those who think it is a little rough. I used Google to show the students what some the items were that the McIvey family used and saw during those times.

I also gave this book to my father after I had been talking to him about it and he loved it. We passed the adult book around until everyone in the family had read it. We had the most wonderful family discussion about it. My mother is a true Floridian - she is 72 years old and was born and raised about 1 1/2 miles from where we both live. She remembers when some of the ruralness of Florida and this book hit home.

If there were 10 stars I would have given it 10. It is a great read for both young and old alike especially 4th graders who are doing Florida Studies which is state mandated. You learn something new each time you read it.
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 13, 2015
Absolutely fantastic. A true MUST READ! Just like the characters in the book, my family came to Florida before it was a state. "A Land Remembered" gives us the opportunity to view Florida from its virgin creation to the concrete, paved-over obscenity it has become. We see the Florida "Crackers" who moved cattle to the coast with their whips cracking and the people who settled our state. This is a multi-generational story with believable characters you will remember forever. It's one of those books you find difficult to put down and are disappointed when it actually ends. It is an absolutely fantastic book, and I hope you buy a copy and enjoy it as much as I did.
on June 2, 2017
Great book, I absolutely loved it and I'm trying to talk my wife into reading it! My only complaint is that this isn't offered here in a non student edition and I don't know why this is broken out into 2 volumes, that was slightly annoying.
on March 21, 2017
This book was a gift to a grand daughter, I believe everyone, especially Floridians should read this novel, it is both simple and deep and speaks to the questions of what we really want in life. It is a must read if you want to save Florida.
on September 15, 2016
..as told through the trials of a family who chose to settle there. After moving to South East Florida, a neighbor recommended this book to give me an idea of Florida's history. After living all my life in NY and only visiting FL four times before, it was invaluable in learning the history of my newly adopted state. It follows multiple generations of a family from the Civil War through the introduction of the railroad and the building of the state. The book is fiction but the history of Florida it presents, is real. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to any newcomers and visitors to this state. A quick but fascinating read. Who knew? Certainly not this northerner.
on December 12, 2017
Historical fiction can be about the history or the story, but rarely are both captured so well as in this little fast read. The characters come down from Georgia to start a life, scratching out an existence of sorts. Bit by bit by trial and error, the family tames the wilderness in extraordinary fashion. Several good humorous stories between the twists and turns of frontier tragedy. Great book!