Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 27, 2011
"A land of Ash" is an anthology of 11 short stories, contributed to and edited by author David Dalglish. The paperback is 124 pages in length while the Kindle e-edition is a 396 Kb download. Interestingly enough the Kindle edition was free at the time of writing this review.

The anthology is written around an fictional apocalyptic event; the eruption of Yellowstone Caldera, resulting in a nuclear-type winter that descends over the world but most severely, over the continental U.S.A.
The eleven stories presented here are unrelated to each other, but share in common the human emotions and traits that so often come to fore when tragedy strikes...emotions and traits the can be stunningly beautiful or, shockingly deplorable.

I must mention that I don't usually like short story anthologies because I find invariably there are some (or several) that I don't like, maybe because of poor writing, uninteresting characters or just a boring story. Yet because I've started the book, I feel I must try to slog them through them in an attempt to finish what I've started. However, I was very please with this set of tales, every story was riveting and held my interest throughout. There were characters in these pages who, although you meet only briefly, become indelibly fixed in your mind.

Conclusion:
Eleven splendid fictional short works that focus around human action and reaction to an unexpected natural disaster that has global implications. 5 Stars.

Ray Nicholson

P.S.
As a personal note, I've just recently finished reading some of author David Dalglish's other works, the five book "The Half-Orcs" series and the first two books of his new 'Shadowdance' series. David is an up and coming young writer with tremendous potential, especially in the fantasy genre. What really surprised me here was the quality of the pieces he contributed to this collection. Some writers have difficulty once they leave the confines of their comfort zones...it seems he has made this transition with apparent ease.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 3, 2012
Written by a handful of authors, this collection of short stories doesn't follow the same set of characters throughout the book. Instead, A Land of Ash springs at you from a variety of directions. It offers a deep and often profound look at how people might react after a natural disaster which affects an entire nation. The reader will be introduced to the characters and learn how they choose to face either life or death. I disagree with the reviews that state such things as the book is depressing or doesn't seem to have a satisfying conclusion. Although a work of fiction, the authors portray the stark reality of the choices that would have to be made. And, as with the truth of the historical record, they show that not all events have a happy ending and that civilization often comes to an end when faced with a disaster of such a magnitude. This is a series of stories which reflect a modern day Pompeii. Each story is very well-written and fit together to form a cohesive picture for the entire book. - Sheila Rae Myers, Author
on May 19, 2011
I have to start out this review with a disclaimer. I love disaster stories. Especially disaster stories that have to do with earthquakes and volcanos. So obviously this book was written for me, there was no way I wasn't going to like it. If that is not your thing, you may not love it as much as I did.

A Land of Ash is a collection of short stories all focused around what happens after the Yellowstone Caldera erupts. It focuses on the United States. Each of the stories has a fresh perspective as they are written by a collection of Authors but the book feels as if it flows seamlessly together.

It is a dark and harsh story as one would expect from a disaster of this magnitude. The writing captivated me. It made me feel the fear and dismay of the characters as they saw their world come to an end.

The only thing that it was missing was more of the same. I was wishing the stories would go on and on. As each came to an end I found myself wishing for more.
on July 15, 2012
Tapas - small savory dishes.

In the case of this collection of short stories, each serving was tasty - the real problem was they were simply too small. This reader was left wanting more. I had no sooner got a taste for the story, and started to bite into its tasty goodness and...it ended. If this book had been longer - with each story fleshed out - and the link between the stories explored, then I suspect I would have finished with my appetite sated.

For 99 cents this was an okay read, and certainly worth a look. Easily worth three stars. If are after a light read - and not looking to become immersed in a story then this is for you - and you'll probably feel it is worth more than 3 stars. I was just a bit disappointed is all.
on May 13, 2011
This book-- a collection of short stories based on the premise that the Yellowstone Caldera has erupted and covered the US in choking, deadly ash-- is one of the better books I have read recently. The structure of this collection is modelled after Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, and it works very well here. The stories herein are horrifying, touching, and will make you feel for the poor survivors of this blighted world. What makes this book so effective, aside from the actual writing skills of the contributors, is the fact that the event depicted in the collection can actually happen. In fact, some say the eruption of Yellowstone is greatly overdue! The book is a bit on the slim side, but to be honest, I have little patience for bloated 900 page megablockbusters. I just don't have time to read one gigantic tome after another, so I found the brevity of Land of Ash very refreshing.

Rod Redux, Author of The Oldest Living Vampire Tells All
on April 7, 2014
Its not very common to find a book on the end of the world were the disaster was caused by a possible natural disaster. a real one of this magnitude anyway. its possible this book could actually come true as far as the volcano being real. the stories are surprisingly short but they are realistic and The characters have a good amount of depth despite the lack of time you spend with them. the locations and topics very as much as the characters and the severity of the issues caused by the disaster. a fun and quick change of pace from your standard zombie or economic collapse book. for the price and how quick of a read it is id say its a must
on March 10, 2014
I don't remember when or why I bought this ebook. I assume it was inexpensive and I just took a chance. It sat in my not read collection for a couple of years until I sat down with during a cold day in February. I had no idea what I was getting into nor did I realize that it was a collection of short stories dealing with survival following the eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera. I soon found that for the most part this was an amazing collection of short stories.

As stated, the premise for all of the stories is the destruction of the United States by the eruption of the Yellowstone caldera. The various authors used that potential event to describe how people would deal with that situation. There were no stories of senseless violence, no gratuitous looting, raping or pillaging. Oh, as a reader you knew that those events had and were taking place but you just got a sense of it but it was never the focal point of any of the stories. Instead, the reader is given a glimpse into the final apocalypse.

There are stories that describe the relative dignity that many survivors demonstrated as they faced the approaching wall of ash and gas. Other stories relate the anguish that some survivors felt when confronted with the onslaught of survivors who would deplete and destroy their remaining supplies. A survivor's belief in God is put to question forcing her to give a definitive answer as to whether she still believed in God after the eruption. Several of the stories poignantly deal with children and their surviving parents and the length that these parents will go to in order to protect and provide for their children. For myself, Toward the Storm and One Last Dinner Party were meaningful.

Yes, this is a collection of stories concerning that last days of the United States but it was also a collection of stories that were filled with thoughtful writing and poignant characters. No better way to spend a dollar.
on June 12, 2014
Good collection of very short stories. I found it enjoyable and finished it in one sitting of two hours. All of the stories are sad and a bit depressing, so why enjoyable? It was great to see a lot of different authors approach the same subject. It was interesting! I didn't think any of the stories were outlandish and I appreciated that. There was a surprising amount of Christian-talk which first led me to believe that this might be a group of Christian writers? Anyway, a good effort by the group and I'm finding these short story collections to be quite compelling.
on January 26, 2011
This book was recommended on a thread in the Kindle forums by a reader I respect. After seeing the (low, low) price, I couldn't buy it fast enough. I am so glad I did!
These short stories are well-written, as well as well-edited, and each one features fleshed-out characters facing dramatic situations that had me thinking about them long after I'd put down the book. I would love to read a sequel!
The other reviewers (along with the 'product description') have provided a synopsis of the over-all theme, so I won't bore anyone reading my review with redundancy. However, I did want to give this book a 'thumb's up' because I liked it so much.

~Donna Fasano~
author of The Merry-Go-Round
on February 26, 2012
The anthology of short stories, modeled after The Martian Chronicles by different writers is a damn fine idea. That said, there's a lot to like about this collection, particularly from Dalglish himself. I thought the many short vignettes were quite amazing in and of themselves, but sad nevertheless. The fact the country suffered a catastrophic event leading to the many adventures described in this novel is sad to imagine but unfortunately an all true real scenario which may occur soon. What is described in this novel may in fact come true in real life, so we should all prepare ourselves for an unforgettable nightmare - whether in written prose or actuality!