Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on November 4, 2013

Danny is a spunky and opinionated thief living with her merry band of wrongdoers disguised as a boy simply so not every man she meets will molest her or more. She crosses paths with Jeremy who needs her for his dastardly deeds aka her services as a pickpocket. He gets what he wants, but she is left with her little butt thrown out of the guild of troublemakers. And what does a feisty and determined woman do when someone else is at fault in her misfortune? She demands Jeremy for a job and a roof over her head. And that is exactly what she gets in the form of a maid job and a lot more in the form of the master of the house.

I’m especially drawn to rags to riches, Cinderella, underdog heroine, secret identity romances – so, this book was perfect for me in that aspect, because it included all those tropes. It is also a blessing if the heroine actually has a backbone and isn’t a meek wallflower, someone who knows what she wants and isn’t held back by proper etiquette to ask or do what is needed. In addition, a woman in historic fiction who is determined to steer clear of the hero and isn’t easily swayed is all good in my book. Needless to say, I thought Danny was awesome.

The relationship between the main couple was another pro to me. They was a constant power battle going on between them and with the balance shifting back and forth, it was interesting to observe these two on who would raise the white flag to the other first. Another positive aspect: Jeremy’s unwanted, but very determined suitor with her lies was handled brilliantly and the outcome was like watching a funny situation comedy.

I haven’t read any previous books of the Malory series this story is part of so I can’t really show the reoccurring characters the proper amount of excitement and love they probably deserve, instead, I read this book with an outsiders point of view. Despite lacking the recommended pre knowledge, I enjoyed this story heaps and didn’t have any issues with warming up to obvious old favorites.

I didn’t, however, entirely enjoy how the virginity issue was handled and what lead up to that and at times I had slightly issues with the believability of everything going on. Also, too much limelight given to the assassin was also not necessary and distracted from the romance. Nevertheless, these all are very minor issues that didn’t distract me from enjoying this book.

Danny: Independent, tough and resilient. I admired her determination to still find and become a proper woman and lead a respectable life with a nice husband and children, despite her background and difficult situation. I simply liked her as a woman and character, she didn’t annoy me at all and that is quite rare.

Jeremy: Supposedly, he is also from similar background of gutter life as Danny, but I felt that he had left that life far far away in the past and he had also forgotten what it was like in regard to his treatment of Danny. I felt he wasn’t really as supportive of her issues and her goals as he should have been. Despite this, he manned up managed to be a decent hero. Has to be mentioned: his family was lovely.

I really liked this romance, luckily, I’ve never really hit and missed with an historical oldie and this is another win for me. There were many aspects to like, but the heroine Danny was my number one in this book.
on March 15, 2016
This is titled to be Jeremy's story- a young man. While this story received points because it is a Johanna Linsey work and the Malory clan is a fun, diverse group, it lost points because of the age group and additionally, the story seems to be more about the heroine- Danni-Lass, than about Jeremy and not nearly the amount of family interaction that other works contained and I don't think I am spoiling anything by pointing out that Danny's story may seem a bit familiar because, like Kelsey in "Say You Love Me", it becomes very obvious with the mention of A NURSE and the difficulties with her early diction that Danny is going to turn out to be gentry. That said, I would have liked more family interaction because this is such a great family. Drew is mentioned for about 4 paragraphs twice in the work, Anthony for one or two brief lines and although Warren and Amy make a quest appearance, their role is minimal and not very entertaining. James, Jeremy's father, has only a very minor role and we know more about the cook's helper than we do about Jason-who shows up, tells James its handled, then leaves only to return to demand why James intervened to handle it better. Even Percy is relegated to the first dozen or so pages then is only briefly mentioned later, even though he is the one that instigated the entire meet-up between the Jeremy and Danny. For the young female readers who are interested in reading about young female heroines who struggle between the chance to stay with the one they love who may not love them, or to venture alone in the world to fulfill long held goals and life's objectives this is a very good book, well written and expresses the heroine's choices and ramifications very well. As a necessary read to fill in the blanks of other works it is a pleasant read and worth the time and effort to complete it. Its just that I've been there, done that and don't want to relive that part of my life again even in regency England.
on December 28, 2011
I'd been looking forward to reading this installment in the Malory series, as Jeremy has always been a favorite character. I was not disappointed. It's a great story that had me turning pages.

Jeremy's the illegitimate son of James Malory (GENTLE ROGUE); and like Amy and Regina Malory, Jeremy has the dark hair and cobalt blue eyes of their Gypsy ancestor. Raised in a tavern for the first 16 years of his life (before James knew of his existence), Jeremy is comfortable looking for a thief to aid his friend Percy get back two family rings taken in a card game when he was drunk. And the thief they find is a young woman disguised as a boy. Danny (Danette) can't remember her early years because while escaping an evil man with her nurse, she was hit on the head and suffered amnesia. Her nurse died from her wounds and since then, Danny has lived on the street taking up the language of the gang of thieves she runs with. When the caper she is forced to undertake for Jeremy ends up costing her the position with her gang, she asks Jeremy for a job--and gets one--as his upstairs maid. But Jeremy wants the beautiful girl in his bed (no surprise there). Danny wants a respectable life with a husband and children and will not allow the handsome Jeremy to keep her from her goals.

Well told, intriguing story of two people who are more alike than they realize. Along with GENTLE ROGUE, this may be the best in the Malory series. I highly recommend it!

Here's the list of the books in the Malory-Anderson Family Saga Series:

1. Love Only Once (Reggie and Nick)
2. Tender Rebel (Roslyn and Anthony)
3. Gentle Rogue (James and Georgina)
4. The Magic Of You (Amy Malory and Warren Anderson)
5. Say You Love Me (Kelsey and Derek)
6. The Present: The Malory Holiday Novel
7. A Loving Scoundrel (Danny and Jeremy, James' son)
8. Captive Of My Desires (Gabrielle and Drew)
9. No Choice But Seduction (Boyd and Katey)
10. That Perfect Someone (Richard and Julia)
on September 23, 2008
*** Back cover synopsis ***
When Jeremy Malory hires Danny, a young woman who grew up on London's streets disguised as a boy, as his upstairs maid, he secretly intends to make her his mistress. But Danny surprises him with her dreams of becoming a refined lady and a gentleman's wife. As she transforms from urchin to elegant beauty before Jeremy's eyes, she unwittingly captivates the charming scoundrel. Now high society tongues are wagging: Who is this mysterious newcomer, and what is the truth about her past? No matter that a life-long adversary will go to any lengths to ensure Danny's downfall, Jeremy, who vowed never to succumb to matrimony, finds his resolve weakening as he pursues a woman whose strong, passionate nature rivals his own and promises the kind of challenge a Malory man can't resist.

*** Personal opinion ***
I was so looking forward to Jeremy's love life ever since starting the Malory novels and after taking a glimpse of the synopsis on the back cover of the book, I have to say I had my hopes up a little bit too high. I gave this book a 4 star because I do think the plot is well written and the chemistry that past between Jeremy and Danny is enjoyable to watch, well, only for the first half of the book until Jeremy finally got her to bed.
Danny's fifteen years of living as a male on the streets allowed her to think like a male more often than a female, and when she started her "relationship" with Jeremy, her confrontations of the situation reminds me of a modern woman, which allowed Danny to be perceived as a very strong character.
My favorite parts of the book was at the beginning of where Jeremy met Danny and the part where James Malory and Drew Anderson along with two other male companions showed up at Bascomb's place, on Jeremy's behalf to throw Emily Bascomb's lie back in her face. That part has got to be the most funniest part in the book for me.
The only thing that refrained me from giving this book a 5 star was the expected danger moments weren't that thrilling at all. At some point, it just seemed like Lindsey was just trying wrap up the book. The parts where Danny was about to get clubbed at her own room and the part where Jeremy thought she had died could've been done in a more refined way to show the danger at the moment but disappointedly, that wasn't the way.
All in all, this is still a very enjoyable book. The things that Jeremy does and say to Danny are just priceless. Jeremy Malory is definitely a loving scoundrel.
on September 14, 2017
I liked the characters in this book and have loved all of the Malory-Anderson family books.
on January 20, 2011
What in the world was this? Totally not romantic. JL's books are turning into hit or misses now. I wanted to read Jeremy's story so badly too, like a lot of reviewers. But he was awful in this! He was uncaring, shallow, and, well, dumb! I couldn't for the life of me bring myself to like Danny either. She was annoying. Although she certainly didn't deserve the way he took her virginity. JL seems to fail in that in almost every book. The loss of a woman's virginity is an important, emotional, intense scene, not an oh-my-God-you-just-took-my-virginity-why-did-you-do-that-I-didn't-say-you-could-take-my-virtue scene.
22 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 20, 2014
This was the first book by Johanna Lindsey that I have read. I love historical romances and I think this one is great. I have a feeling I have found a new author to read.
on February 19, 2014
After finishing The Present was really excited to start the second half of the Malory series. Book order as follows #7 A Loving Scoundrel #8 Captive of my Desires #9 No choice but seduction #10 That perfect someone #11 Stormy Persuasion
on May 29, 2014
This book is one that kept me interested and I did not want to put down. I would recommend it to all my friends.
on May 12, 2004
Our beloved Malorys are back. We all waited in anticipation for the newest installment and Lindsey doesn't disappoint. Jeremy is now 25 years old and moving into a home of his own. Following in the footsteps of his father and uncles, Jeremy is taking the ton, namely the ladies, by storm. However, Percy, Jeremy's & Derek's bumbling friend, in typical fashion, has found himself in a bit of trouble and Jeremy comes to the rescue. Percy has lost two family heirlooms to a rather unscrupulous person and it is up to Jeremy to get them back. Only a Malory would think of using a thief to rob a thief. But this is where the trouble begins. Who would have thought Jeremy would choose a pickpocket who has been masquerading as a boy for 15 years? Danny, the pickpocket is an interesting character and doesn't give in easy to the charming and lovable Malory scoundrel.
I was a bit disappointed that there was not more interaction with his family, but overall it was a wonderful book and I look forward to the continuation of the Malory saga.
11 comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse