BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

A PENNY IN MY POCKET
Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 31, 2015
A book that really makes you think.
on February 5, 2008
For all the reasons we love to read, and for all the reasons we want our children to love to read, this book hits the mark - wit, creativity, knowledge, history, science, literature, cultural and social issues - all in palatable doses. The individual chapters as stand-alone short stories within the theme, the discussion questions, the web-site filled with activities, curriculum aids and lesson plan ideas will excite all intermediate and middle school teachers. This is certainly a "penny" worth picking up!
on December 31, 2013
interesting read, history lessons with stories. really enjoyed. this was recommended by a teacher. looking for more books like this.
on March 25, 2015
Great buy!!!
on August 12, 2014
I read this to my daughter and we both thoroughly enjoyed it! Not only did we enjoy getting to know the characters as they worked on their school project, we also got some good history lessons along the way. I look forward to reading it again with my other children when they get older.

First hand, my daughter says... I really enjoyed listening to A Penny In My Pocket! It makes me wish I had an old penny. My favorite chapter was the last because I liked how the contest ended! I got to learn a lot of things that I'd never heard in history before, and probably might not have learned at all otherwise. It was like it was happening in present time!
on July 26, 2016
I had the Misfortune of reading this-not even a full book- this incredibly rough draft. This book was the worst thing I had possibly read and this is looking back after about 5 years. I have read the 'puppy palace' series to 'common sense' and I have never encountered a book with such lifeless robotic characters that's pure ambition in life is for 2.5 ounces of copper. I have tried many times to finish this book. Even last week I tried after I had finished house of leaves I had the hopeful thought that this book was not as bad as I once thought it was but sadly, I was let down. The lack of detail was so great that I ended up putting post it notes to fill in the details myself which led to some rather hilarious corrections. And then comes the over detail to parts that the reader does not care for, and not even in a fun sense like douglas adams would write just...a bland 'so so' rendition. I have met the woman who has written this book and my only thought while listening to her speak was 'she seems like the person to leave a incredibly boring cover to her only work'. Miss Hill if you cant afford to get someone to draw something for your cover I will gladly draw something for you. So in essence a waste of 16 dollars and my time.
on February 5, 2008
This is a really nice book. Bringing history alive is such a crucial element for the effective teaching of social studies to youngsters. Ms. Hill has written an accessible story that does just that. The theme of the book allows young readers to make direct connections to the past and identify with children from those times. I predict that they will be inspired to hunt down their own old pennies so that they can experience the same wonder as their literary counterparts! As a parent, librarian and former substitute teacher, I am familiar with literature for young people. Ms. Hill's simple yet brilliant concept is a wonderful contribution. This book is fun, and it makes the grade.
on January 3, 2008
"A Penny in My Pocket" is a lovely story about a school project designed to spark the creativity of the students. The children are assigned the task of finding the oldest penny they can, and imagining the life of a child from the year the penny was minted. Following the route of the pennies, Ms. Hill takes the reader through significant events in American history as seen through the eyes of adolescents. The children, both from the past and present, are as diverse as America itself, and speak in genuine voices that young teenagers, and those who love them, will recognize and appreciate. In the words of young Amelia, this book is a "veritable" delight!
on July 29, 2011
I read this book with my son. We both love the book. It spurred a lot of questions and opened both of our eyes to the many cultures and challenges that made up the last century in the United States. Each chapter spurred interest to learn more about the particular subject. We did online research, talked with our grandparents, and even took a tour of the Atlanta Fed as follow up to various chapters. Carter, my son now keeps his eyes open looking for the oldest penny we can find. Carter calls this book his favorite ever, and I agree.
on March 20, 2008
How many times have we seen an antique or a classic automobile and wondered what stories of the people, places and times must be hidden within their framework? "A Penny in my Pocket" allows YOU to be that proverbial "fly on the wall" and step back into another place and time to experience American history rather than just read about it. It is certainly an appropriate read for an elementary student, but it is also an exciting read for everyone! I look forward to her next book to see what new faces she puts on our rich American history.