Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Perfect Day
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 23, 2012
A charming, delicate, happy book. The illustrations are detailed and precious. They are so lovely that I really wish the book was bigger in size. This copy is for me, but I will buy this as a gift for some young families and pair it with some hot cocoa mix.
On a snowy day children enjoy a day of sledding, snowball fights, making designs in the snow with their footprints, snow angles, and building snowmen until it was time to go home.

Berger’s craft of words and skill with paper collages opens up the village world right from the very first page and takes the reader on a fun filled childhood day of wintertime fun. It is a quick and easy read with few new words to practice. However the unusual children’s names keep my beginning reader interested and gave a sense of mastery. Each collage has a story within itself and sparked ideas for more stories by the reader. My reader wanted to know why there was cursive writing on the pages. When I told him the artist had used recycled paper to make the beautiful pictures, he was amazed that you could make art out of trash. We discussed different colors and types of paper that one could collect for art projects.

The part of the story my reader like the very best was the children sledding on different types of sleds. Before we could put the book on the shelf we had to match the children’s names to the snow angels. That is when we discovered there were more names than angels. Can you discover how many? It sparked math questions and took us on more reading fun. The part my reader did not like is not having a snow angel for each child’s name. I came up with the idea that the reason was because the child went home early and didn't make an angel. My reader was happy with my answer.

A PERFECT DAY is a great resource for the home or school library of children between the ages of two through eight. Some ideas to further extend a young readers learning in Art, Language Arts, Social Studies and Math are to make pictures from old scrapes of paper, draw about their own wintertime fun, discuss if it doesn't snow where you live, what type of winter time fun do you have or go ice skating indoors. Math skills can be enhanced by asking the child how many new things they find on each page and comparing numbers from one page to the next. Are they the same or different?
on March 5, 2016
This is a lovely book which quietly captivates the imagination of a winter day. I especially liked the illustrations! I used this as a springboard for an mixced media art project with primary grade children. Loved it!
on October 24, 2014
I look for books with an interesting story/perspective and pretty/interesting artwork. This book is good. We liked both.
With little kids, you have to read and re-read books, so I try to find ones we will all enjoy over and over.
on February 13, 2014
Saw how to use this book for an Art and Literature project on Deep Space Sparkle web site. The story is of a perfect day of snowy fun for children. A coordinating art project would be to paint children making snow angels. Can't wait to try it when we get back in school after being out for snow. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by this art teacher.
on January 4, 2013
The pages are difficult to turn because the images are both serene and full of a child's joy of snow. And then you would like to race ahead to see the next page as you are inspired by the visual feast. The quality of the illustrations are stunning. Some of the images have an oriental woodblock feel. One in particular, the snow hill looks as if it is a Tsunami wave. Another illustration, has a child with a beautiful umbrella and snowballs of different proportions that look magical.
The book is illustrated over an old accounting ledger that brings a subtle shadow below the snow. The illustrations seem to be a continuous painting that was then cut down to pages which gives it a cinematic quality of a constant pan shot.
It is a joy to view.
on December 4, 2012
I read The Perfect Day to my son and he declared it "The Perfect Book". It's a magical day in a winter wonderland, where we all get to be children playing in a world full of amazing possibilities. Carin Berger has done it again. Brava!
on January 14, 2013
beautifully illustrated with collaged materials including old manuscript papers and pieces from magazines. ...delightful, imaginative, each picture gives a young child plenty to look for and talk about...
on December 14, 2012
This book is simple in the text, drawings and the message. Simplicity at its best. I was immediately taken back to the last good snow we had. I stood outside arms spread welcoming the big fluffy flakes. I ran back inside and called my daughter to come over and play in the snow with me. Even at 50 years of age the perfect day is just that..perfect. What every child should experience many times over in their young lives and what brings youth back to our aging souls. Playing on a snowy day. No other cares in the world.
on December 21, 2012
On a perfect winter, snowy day, from skiing, to sledding to skating, everyone finds fun in the snow. The beautiful blanket of snow brings joy to young and old. Children, ages 3-6, will want to read about this winter's day.