Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

A Programmer's Guide to C# 5.0 (Expert's Voice in .NET)
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 6, 2013
Absolutely packed full of great info on C# 5.0. My copy of this book is now filled with notes on most pages as it was full of information I wanted to retain forever. If you are really a die hard wanting to learn every detail of C# then this is a great place to turn for a large piece of your journey. No one book could give you everything, which is why I also bought the expert C# 5.0 book, but of the two, this one was my favorite to study and I think the writing style of the author contributed to that. On the job, however, I've been able to reference both this book and the expert one to find the little facts I was trying to remember at the moment. Definitely worth it.
3 people found this helpful
on April 30, 2017
Ok. Don't think its enough for certification but ok.
on May 4, 2013
If you are just learning C# or want to keep up with the language as it evolves, this is, I believe, one of the better reference books with complete language coverage.
2 people found this helpful
on March 20, 2013
I've been writing C# for over 10 years, and had no need for this book. But I've been urging a friend of mine to learn C#. So when I saw the eBook as Apress's Deal-of-the-Day for $10, I bought it and sent it to him.

I kept the eBook just long enough to glance at it myself. And was aghast at what I saw. I then had to write an apology to my friend, as follows...

What a mess of a book!

I can't fathom why they present what they do in the order that they do it.

I was hoping for a reasonable introduction to the language and some of the most-often-used classes (especially GUI-related). And then get on to the more advanced features.

Instead it leaps all over the place, language-wise, and often places what I consider to be semi-advanced features ahead of ones you need to use every day.

As for GUI classes, don't get me started. Which is fair, because the book doesn't get started either!

I'd absolutely hate to have to learn C# from this book. Hey, the title says it's a "Guide". Guides don't jump around like a drunken kangaroo!

(One of the few things in its favor is that it does seem to be accurate, though.)

Anyway, feel absolutely free to ignore this book. If you ever do get around to C#, you may find this useful as a reference book. But not otherwise.

Oh well, I tried. At least this mistake only cost $10.
3 people found this helpful