Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 243 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 300 reviews
on August 22, 2015
I'm so glad Amazon had this. I read this book years ago in high school and have loved it since. I've seen all the plays on television but this one remains my favorite. This is my second favorite Sidney Poitier movie, rivaled by the great To Sir With Love. I love the fire Mr. Poitier brings to Walter lee. I played Benetha in our Black History presentation of the film and used it as inspiration. I also encouraged all the other cast members to see this version. We got awesome reviews for our performance and I credit some of our success to this film version. I'm so glad amazon had it, if you haven't seen it then you really should. It's a great story about families, the importance of believing in one another and the benefits of knowing your self worth. It speaks to all ages, I watched it first when I was 10 years old. It speaks to men and women, black and white, old and young. For young people it helps us to understand where our people, both black and white have come from, how we've grown and shows us the dual effects of a raisin in the sun.
on August 19, 2013
A young Sidney Poitier stars as part of an African-American family living in a run-down city apartment - all hard workers, all wishing for more. Their chance comes when the mother gets a check for $10,000 from her late husband's life insurance. Some want a house with a little bit of yard. Sister wants her college tuition so she can be a doctor. Sidney Poitier wants to go into business with friends to buy a bar. Mother immediately turns that request down, which is the turning point in the story. He doesn't want to end up like his father - working hard all his life for almost nothing. He has a wife, a child, and another on the way, and he wants to be the head of the family and a successful man. The mother eventually understands and decides he is right. She uses part of the money for one thing, then entrusts the rest to her son. He blows it, and with it his manhood he had finally achieved. How he regains it, or not, and the futures of the family which get further hampered by racial prejudice make for an engrossing movie experience.
on October 30, 2015
I do not have the talent or ability to review a movie, which means my reviews are shallow, short and quick. This movie moved me in so many ways. The never ending struggles of the African Americans in this movei/story is brought to life by the Younger's. I am no one, but well done Mr. Sidney Poitier, David Susskind, and everyone else in the cast!
on May 19, 2017
This film is AMAZING!! I have used it several times for my Intro to Literature class, and it's been excellent for talking about a wide range of concepts. Sidney Poitier does a phenomenal job as Walter Lee! I can't say enough good things about this film. It's enjoyable to watch and really captures the heart of Hansberry's play. It should be taught by anyone who focuses at all on 20th century American literature.
on January 14, 2015
This is THE definitive movie version of Hansberry's remarkable play. I taught this to teenagers in a special program last summer, and some were declaring themselves bored before it even started--because it's in black and white, not color. I also showed the 1989 version, with P. Diddy, and despite the fact that IT is in color, the kids nearly unanimously declared this version far better. Amazing performances by Sidney Poitier and Claudia McNeil, as well as all of the other cast members. If for some reason you have never seen this movie, and you have any interest at all in the civil rights struggle, by all means see this film.
on August 25, 2014
I love this version of A Raisin In The Sun!
Even in black and white it is still exciting.
Poitier can't be beat. His Walter Lee is hands down one of the greatest performances ever.
Kudo's to the late great Ruby Dee, she displays quiet strength and integrity in her role as Ruth. Watching her constantly in the kitchen " making eggs" for Walter made me laugh and feel a sadness for those women who think they can make things better if they can "bake or cook" their problems away.
Even though the film is over 40 years old many of the topics and themes are still relevant today!
As long as I teach the play, I will show this video. It is a timeless classic!
on October 25, 2011
This is one of the finest films ever made. While it is set at a specific time and place--the turbulence of the late 50's in Chicago--the themes are universal. The ideas of Hughes' poem, which gives the play its title, are captured by some of the greatest actors in theatre and film.

I use this in an English class, along with the more recent version, because the "white guy from the new neighborhood" scene is much more powerful in this version than the new. John Fiedler's milquetoast persona makes his words so much more sinister than John Stamos's. Stamos is wonderful, but the contrast between Fiedler and Poitier, especially their sizes, makes the power of the white character's words much more frightening.

My college freshman all connect fully to this film, even though these people are not very like themselves, nor is the neighborhood much like their mid-Missouri town life. It is a story that clearly shows the4 past, but also the problems we have yet to overcome in this part of the country.
on July 27, 2016
The acting was very fine so that the demanding story made the full impression. How little so much of the play has dated - aspirations defeated and people deeply affected by difficulties related to their status in society. Although the source as a play was very evident in the claustrophobic nature of the setting, this worked well and contributed to the overall impact. Highly recommended.
on September 1, 2017
In good shape and was used for a high school class.
on August 6, 2017