Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 177 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 194 reviews
on April 6, 2016
What's impressive is that the author delivers a lot of very good, practical advice, in a logical order, in so few pages. Many text books would take a few hundred pages and be less clear.

I'll give you one example: many books discuss the "non sequitur" fallacy and give an example where the "non sequitur" is wildly off point. Weston uses a much more realistic and useful example where the non sequitur is quite subtle because it has lots of facts about the topic -- but does NOT speak to the point it pretends to support.

If you want to learn more about this subject -- or ANY subject -- you should read other books, too. But with this book alone, if you refer to it as you write, you, as a student or an adult, can learn to think more clearly and to write more clearly.

I ordered a copy for each of my children. It's a book they'll use in middle school, high school and college.
on October 24, 2013
Clear, accurate, logical, interesting, well written, and indispensable. I've read a few other books on logic, and I found some of those books to be poorly written and the thought process of the writers not logical. This one is the best so far.
on July 2, 2009
I just got a copy of the new edition (4th). I have used this previously in teaching college, and needed to upgrade so my students and I have the same edition and page numbers.

The content of the book is wonderful, and I think the extra chapter on oral argumentation is a welcome addition. I also think that the price is great. All my Ph.D. students have been happy to have a copy and enjoy working with it.

One downside of this particular edition: there are numbers for each argument rule, but the design of these is horrible: they are placed on top of the regular text as a light gray, overlapping the heading and some of the body text. This is distracting and annoying. Not sure who gave this design a green light, but I see this as a problem that I hope is remedied in the next edition (or even the next printing of this edition!).

Overall, a great book with one design flaw that shouldn't stop anyone from spending a little for a lot of book.
22 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2016
A Rulebook for Arguments was one of the best instructional books I've read in a while. I will read again as I want to ensure I have a good grasp on what Weston has shared. His concepts were explained in a way that they very helpful in aiding me with my writing.
on September 1, 2017
A great handbook for students in high school or college. It is the "Elements of Style" of manuals on argument.
on December 26, 2014
Dear friends,
"good things come in small packages" and this fills the bill.
I am sorely tempted to purchase the related full length text. A great little desk side research argument companion.

John Barnes,
Bangkok, Thailand
on March 17, 2017
Anyone wanting to sharpen his/her skills, this will definitely do it
on September 3, 2016
A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston (5 Stars)
Great book that breaks down how to properly present arguments. Everyone who desires to think for themselves should read this book, and it should be mandatory reading for all high school students. The only improvement to this book is the list of logical fallacies. Although it mentions most the formal fallacies, it misses some, such as “Provincialism.”
on August 22, 2017
This is a flimsy book with less than 100 pages. All of the information can easily be found in an online article for free and is set up in the same style as a blog post/article.
on August 22, 2015
I appreciated this little book. It's short, sweet, and well-written. Too often I get flustered in an "argument". I'm not talking about fighting with someone, just situations where I'm trying to explain myself, share some ideas. I've come to see that some of my reasoning hasn't been sound or well-thought out. This book was really good. The ideas teach me to think through what I believe, reasoning whether my ideas hold water or not. It's a book I'll read several times to get the principles more solidly in my head.