Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

A Rumor of War
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 30, 2017
I read this book while I was going through Officer Candidate School during the summer of 1975. I realize that it is a piece of of very good fiction but it does bring many memories of my time in the USMC. I decided to read it again, this time on a Kindle. I found the book to be a solid recollection of many memories, I do not know what was real and what was recreated from others memories.
on October 25, 2017
I read this just after watching the Ken Burns Vietnam TV series. It is a classic book written by a thoughtful, insightful Vietnam vet/journalist. Having seen the Burns documentary, I could spot Caputo's "between the lines" disgust at Johnson and Nixon's dishonest, self serving decisions which led to the pointless loss of thousands of young American lives.
on May 17, 2017
It describes in vivid detail the futility that qas felt by the average soldier who had to serve in Vietnam. If this book had been published in 1966, it may have helped the anti war movement to stop the war. Especially if Lyndon Johnson had read it.
on April 14, 2013
I was lucky enough to be assigned this books for a Summer Reading Project for AP U.S. History Class, and I am so glad that I was given this book! It is absolutely excellent.Before reading this I didn't know much about the Vietnam War, or what it was like to be in any war, for that matter. After reading this I felt like I knew so much more about wars and the consequences that it has on people. This also wasn't the typical book on war, with lots of facts and strategies. It was real and relatable, which is something I most definitely enjoy in a book! I enjoyed this perspective because you could feel the emotions of Caputo and knew exactly what it was like to be there.
This book was not only entertaining, it was written phenomenally. The way Caputo wrote and told his story emphasized what it was like to be in the war. For example, the monotony of war was present in the way he elongated the battles, the waiting, and the stress of the young soldiers. This book also makes me appreciate the soldiers who die in war for our country, more than I did in the past. It makes me realize how much suffering and pain was endured in order for me to be able to live like I do today. This book makes me want to thank a veteran. Thank you Mr. Philip Caputo for sharing your experiences with me, so that I can learn to appreciate the soldiers of America more.
4 helpful votes
on August 5, 2017
This is a superb book that chronicles all the issues that a frontline soldier has to face when confronted with the daily possibility of death or life-changing injuries. This book is probably the first that I have read that honestly addresses the futility of a war fought where lives are expended but for little or no territorial gain. Where body counts, both enemy and own forces, are simply a scorecard; and where young men have to deal with moral and ethical issues while under threat of military commanders far removed from the day to realities of fighting a war.

I found it far more lucid and practical than Michael Here's Dispatches.
on May 9, 2016
I have read almost all of the major works on Vietnam both fiction and nonfiction. This one has a special place on the shelf. It is both concise and eloquent. It is both boring and frantic. While relatively short it is huge in its emotional breadth. I suspect there are many men who suffered travails equal or greater than the author but he has the rare ability to put the tragedy into words with such realism that you feel his personal horror. One cannot help but admire the courage it must have taken to write such an honest account.
on March 18, 2017
Has been a life long companion of mine and believe it or not I always take my beat up copy with me when I have deployed. Lots of similarities with what I have faced in my wartime service, this keeps it real. Expertly written and really describes the dull, aching reality of service in a combat unit.
on October 3, 2017
As a Vietnam veteran, I rate it the best infantry combat book from the war. If you weren't there, this gives as good an idea of what it was like as any book could. Reminded me of why I have little respect for "political" generals.
on May 9, 2017
This book was very entertaining and well as informative. Caputo describes the different horrors of the war and you feel like you are right there with him the whole way. A must read for history buffs.
on May 29, 2013
Having read dozens of books on Vietnam Nam I figured this would be just another one of the same. It's not. Some books are trumped up and parts of others are made up to improve the story line. This book is HONEST. I never served so I will state that up front. I am so glad we have the Americans that did. We owe them a debt we can never repay. This author tells of the story from the beginning to the end. The good and the very bad. Even though our government absolutely blew it, our men and women did their job no matter what it was and we are lucky to have solders like them. This book pulls no punches and tells it honestly. If you want a watered down and made up story go somewhere else. This book is extremely traffic and sad and heart breaking in places. Parts of it should embarrass our government and hope we have all learned a lesson of how not to manage a war Thanks to all who have served. Please read this book if you want an honest account