BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 12, 2013
After reading Short-Straw Bride and Stealing the Preacher, I finally got around to reading Karen Witemeyer's debut novel, A Tailor-Made Bride, and, just like the other two books, I loved it!!

The story was so good and had me laughing out loud a LOT! I loved the characters and my three favorites were: Delia, J.T., and Hannah. I really liked the secondary romance story, but I wish there would have been more closure with that one...I can't help wondering what happened in the end.

Overall, another fantastic read from Karen Witemeyer! I can hardly wait to read To Win Her Heart and Head in the Clouds (the only books of hers I have yet to read).

If you enjoy historical romance novels, I think you'll enjoy A Tailor-Made Bride. Recommended!

*I did not get this book for review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
on November 27, 2012
I had so enjoyed Karen Witemeyer's book The Short Straw Bride that when her earlier novel, Tailor Made Bride came up for free kindle download, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read more from this delightful author.

Hannah Richards had dreamed of having her own dress shop. Designing and creating beauty for women is part of the way she has been wired by God. It's more than vanity but about showing forth God's beauty and ministering to the women she interacts with. When she inherits a little building and moves to a Coventry, Texas to start her shop, her dreams are not so easily won. She finds herself rebuffed by the gruff livery owner across the street and at the same time perplexed by his surprising acts of kindness.

Jericho "J.T." Tucker has lived in this town all his life and has tried to help out his friends and neighbors. Not only is he sore over losing the opportunity to buy this retail space he is even more annoyed that it is to be a shop that tempts women to vanity. He clashes instantly with Hannah as she tries hard to establish herself in this town. His concept of vanity and dressmakers is challenged time and again when he sees Hannah reaching out to others in unusual ways. Even more so when she helps his sister bloom before his eyes. Can he give up his prejudice against her career and see to the heart of the woman who seems to have stolen his heart?

The idea of vanity and what makes a woman beautiful is a core theme of this novel, and in many ways, an unusual one. Karen Witemeyer handles this with grace, dignity and a sense of humor. It's a delightful read and challenged me as well as to what really makes a woman beautiful. It's not the clothes she wears but the love, kindness beauty of Christ that shines through her that makes her most attractive. While I knew that - this novel illustrates it to tailor made perfection.
on October 20, 2015
Enjoyed this book so much and meeting these characters, J T and Hannah, Cordelia and Ike, Tom, Ezra, Louisa and her children -- such delightful folks. Wish I had neighbors like this group! The tale of the plucky dressmaker, Hannah coming to Coventry to start her own business is full of real life situations, and Ms. Witemeyer offers real life answers through faith in God. Not preachy, but has depth of character development, along with romance - a couple of them! I came to look for more of this author's work after reading this story!! My favorite line is where Hannah tells J T she hears his heart. . . come read to find out what he was having trouble putting into words!
on May 29, 2010
I DID NOT WANT THIS BOOK TO END!! From cover to cover, Karen Witemeyer just blew me away! She has the "character depth" of Tamera Alexander and the "romantic charm" of Deeanne Gist, combined with a beautiful, refreshing style all her own!

This is Karen's first novel, and that fact alone will leave you even more wide eyed and slack jawed at her abilities. Most importantly, you will also find the Lord's "thumbprint" on every page. Her words ministered to my spirit in such a deep, penetrating way. Opening my own eyes to appreciate more greatly and see more clearly the beauty of God all around me. This book is "Tailor-Made" for the romantic Christian heart!

Her characters live and breathe, not only within the pages but long after the cover is closed. The heroine, Hannah Richards, is the kind of a girl we would all strive to be like. Not only is she beautiful, graceful and talented but she also possess a kind, gentle, yet passionate nature and shines the love of Christ so effortlessly, desiring His will above her own, no matter the sacrifice. The hero, Jericho "J.T." Tucker, is exactly how the author describes him, "a little crusty on the outside, but his heart is true and as big as a mountain." From the start he just took my breath away (however, I did want to smack him a couple of times). He is ruggedly handsome, strong and determined, but set in his ways with no plans on changing. That is until the scales fall from his eyes AND his heart, allowing him to behold the inner and outer beauty of a certain dressmaker. We (along with Hannah) fall head-over-heels with this man and his mountain size heart! We find that he is humble, a little vulnerable, and capable of great kindness, loving with his actions rather than words. With each page we witness a refining process happening in our hero and... gosh, I've said too much already. You'll have to read it yourself *grin*

Her supporting characters are great as well, adding even more life, color, and depth to the story, as does her charming Texas setting. And as a side note, she ends her chapters with some of the best closing lines you'll ever read that will have you saying, "Okay, just one more chapter." into the wee hours of the night! Simply put, this book is going on my "to be read again AND again" shelf, with NO chance of collecting even a speck of dust any time soon!!
on December 25, 2011
What a fun, sweet read! I needed just such a book at the time that I read this one. The characters are endearing, and the romance is sweet.

The main character, Hannah, is opening a dress shop in Texas, and I really liked her determination to succeed in that business. Despite his misgivings of dresses and fancy attire, J.T. finds himself falling for her and their mishaps and bungling of situations were charming. I do feel that they fell in love a bit quickly. Although the progression of their relationship was a bit rushed, it was still heartfelt without being too cheesy or overdone.

J.T. came across as painfully stubborn, but that made it so much better when he finally does come around. I enjoyed the relationship between Hannah and J.T's sister immensely, it was very well done.

Although some aspects of Witemeyer's ideas were a bit on the nose, I love how ultimately the characters depict how important the line between vanity and appreciating beauty/feeling beautiful really is.

I so looked forward to reading this novel and am so glad I read it when I did. I look forward to Witemeyer's other novels as well and recommend this one for someone interested in sweet, light romances in a historical setting.
VINE VOICEon May 30, 2010
"When a dressmaker who values beauty tangles with a liveryman who condemns vanity, the sparks begin to fly."

First of all, I LOVED the cover of A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer! I think it fit the book perfectly!

Hannah arrives in Coventry, Texas, to achieve her dream: her own dress shop. Fearing that a fashionable woman will only be a stumblingblock to the ladies in town, Grumpy J.T. is none too happy about her arrival.

While both Hannah and J.T. struggle with the rights and wrongs of beauty versus vanity, they also battle their developing feelings for each other.

I thought A Tailor-Made Bride was delightful. Hannah was so likeable and sweet and genuine. I couldn't help but like J.T. and feel a bit sorry for him that he had such a hard time working through his past hurts and expressing his feelings.

All of the characters were loveable and relatable, from J.T.'s sister Delia to stinky Ezra Culpepper. Each person added real depth and warmth to the story.

A Tailor-Made Bride feels like it was written by a well-seasoned author, when it is actually Karen's debut novel! She gets five stars from me!

I am looking forward to Karen's next release in September, Head in the Clouds.

*********************
Check out more book reviews on my blog: thecreativesideofsteph DOT blogspot DOT com
on August 19, 2014
ge Appropriate For: 13 and up for romance
Best for Ages: 13 and up

Witemeyer has become one of my favorite authors ever since I read Short-Straw Bride. I have had this, her first book, on my kindle for a while but have finally gotten around to reading it. I was not disappointed, even though I think Witemeyer has gotten better.

The characters sparkled in this book. Hannah was sweet and spunky, and a perfect match for kind yet gruff J.T.. Hannah worries her career as a dressmaker will fail in the tiny town of Coventry, while J.T. hope it does fail, as he thinks the fashion world is responsible for many evils in the world. As you can see, the characters have their work cut out from them.

The Christian message in this story was wonderful. Being reminded to see the beauty around us and that God delights in beauty is great. I do think that Witemeyer carried it a bit too far in one part. As Hannah is helping J.T.’s sister attract the attention of the man she loves, she gives a speech about how women need to make themselves attractive to get the attention of a guy, which in Hannah’s mind means helping J.T.’s sister lose some weight. I don’t think it was the author’s intention, but that part came across as saying women can’t be expected to be loved by men unless they are thin.

As always, I loved the setting of this story. 1800’s in a real town in Texas is just so much fun. Getting to read about real towns of my state many years ago is so much fun.

I highly recommend this book to Witemeyer fans, historical fiction lovers, and those who like faith-building stories.
Hannah has moved to a new town and is a dressmaker. J.T. the owner of the local livery and his helper Tom go pick her up and take her to her new shop and apartment. J.T. immediately takes a dislike to Hannah for what she does in life the dress making. He thinks she will ruin the town with her fashion and beauty. He thinks the women of the town will think they are better then their husbands and other people in the town. J.T. rarely smiles if ever and when he finds out his sister is getting help form Hannah he is not too keen on the idea. He can't escape the beauty of Hannah though.

The characters work well with each other and it was nice to see how J.T. comes about in his way of thinking. It a nice christian read. Not too much to throw someone off of the read. Hannah is a wonderful person a bit too perfect at times. I found the setting well written. I could picture different things easily. I would like to read more by this author.
on March 18, 2016
What I Loved: Karen has a way of weaving comedy, romance, and history together, and A Tailor-Made Bride was no exception. I loved every minute I spent here with J.T. and Hannah. The characters were fun and the Biblical theme was spot on. I enjoyed watching J.T. overcome his battle with forgiveness, bitterness, and judging others.
The secondary characters were just as charming as the main characters. I LOVED Tom and the villain in this one was someone that I wanted both to hug and punch just about everytime he was on the page. Lol
And on another note, how cute is this cover!!??

Rating and Recommendation: If you haven’t picked up this one by Karen Witemeyer then add it to your TBR list and pick it up soon! It’s a 5-star book and then some and I highly recommend it for those that enjoy Christian Historical Fiction.
on August 16, 2017
This was an enjoyable romance. I loved how Hannah turned Jericho’s perceptions of her upside down. I also enjoyed that Hannah was an independent woman but was not so independent that she didn’t need anyone. Full review at my website.