Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 659 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,141 reviews
on September 28, 2016
Wonderful book that ended up on a middle school reading list. It was great to see newer titles that young girls might have an interest in added to the summer reading list this year. For a young teen who struggles with reading comprehension, this was a short book that she could finish while holding her interest.
on October 14, 2016
I loved this novel. I had seen the movie before reading the book. The novel still took my breath away. Not too long, page wise. I read this book in about a day. Fell in love with the characters. Definitely a great read. I will probably re read this book at some point. Mr Sparks has done it again!
on February 2, 2016
Have read this story and listened to it on audio several times -- my favorite book by Nicholas Sparks. When I decided to buy the audio cassette version of this book, I wanted a specific narrator, namely the late Frank Muller. (I've listened to dozens and dozens of books on tape and, for me, he is by far the best reader/narrator/performer ever of audio books.) I found exactly the cassettes I wanted with Frank Muller as the reader on Amazon and ordered through a third-party seller. The confirmation I received listed Mr. Muller as the narrator. However, the version of audio cassettes I received is read by the author, Nicholas Sparks, and not Frank Muller. I've listened to both versions in the past and Frank Muller's is vastly superior to the author's. I love the story and since it is short (only four cassettes unabridged), I will keep it and listen to it. I am quite disappointed, however, that the version I ordered and was assured I would receive wasn't what I in fact received.
on February 28, 2017
“There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well.”

I knew what I was getting myself into when I started A Walk to Remember but I still experienced every heart wrenching emotion known to mankind. Right off the bat, I love how the book was set in the 1950s. It was refreshing to read a contemporary with no trace of modern technology. Compared to the movie, I prefer how Landon and Jamie met in the book. I think Landon’s inner dialogue played a huge part in that. Especially when he fought with himself to either be a good person vs. keeping your image. Every page I turned, I saw his character develop through the influences of Jamie and himself. After I finished, I HAD to watch the movie and what a big difference it was. I definitely saw the movie in a different light.
on March 26, 2017
It's really different from the movie and not in a good way...
I'm usually more a fan of books than movies but this time.. it's not like that.
I found the character of Jamie not well developed and boring. It's like if the story never "started".. you're always thinking ok... something is going to happen.. but it does not.
on May 6, 2013
"There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well."

I watched A Walk to Remember back in 2002, I think that was when the movie came out. I loved it the first, second, third, fourth, (well you get the picture) time that I watched it. It was such a moving story, and it was deeply tragic. I was a bit spectical to read the book because a lot of my friends were not fond of Sparks' writing, still, I have a kindle and decided that getting a sample wouldn't hurt. Turns out, it was the best decision that I made all week.

The language is very simple and easy to read. Landon, talks like any other high school senior. He is one of those conflicted characters who knows right from wrong, but is sometimes blinded by peer pressure. This is an aspect I can relate to, as I remember high school being more about what people expect of you rather than discovering yourself. Kids don't like those who are different from them, and they will find a way to make those outsiders know it.

Jamie's character is absolutely charming, and I wished I could have met someone like her back in high school. She is a different kind of nice, as in she doesn't need recognition for her good deeds. A lot of kids will go out of their way to do nice things for others, but they make sure that their deed doesn't go unnoticed. Jamie is nothing like that, she does the right thing simply because it is the right thing to do. She doesn't have a negative thought about anyone, and her kindness knows no limits. I know that like Landon, I would definitely be changed by meeting her as well. There is something about her sweet and ever giving essences that touches me, even though she is a character trapped in this story.

This isn't your typical love story where the male and female meet and instantly fall in love, and run into the sunset together. This is a story about struggle, loss, finding and losing yourself, realizing that life is never a guarantee, and learning how to be best version of yourself. It is also learning and accepting that although tragic events will occur in our lives, those events do have a silver lining-they HIGHLIGHT all the blessings that we have neglected in the past.

You know those stories that continue to touch you even after you finish reading the last page? Well, A Walk to Remember is one of them.
on December 14, 2012
`A Walk to Remember' is one of those novels that I can unapologetically admit I know inside and out. In fact, this was the first Nicholas Sparks novel that caught my attention, after having viewed the movie of the same name starring Mandy Moore and Shane West. I have forever been a huge Mandy Moore fan and after I watched said movie, I had to get my hands on the book that inspired it. There is no doubt that there is quite some difference between the two, and this is partly due to the nature of the target audience the two formats are reaching out to. However, the foundations of this amazing tale are still the same.
The reason why this novel has touched me so is that I was diagnosed with aplastic anaemia, an autoimmune disorder that has affected my bone marrow (in a similar way to leukaemia) at exactly the same age as the lead character, Jamie Sullivan, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia. Seeing the film really helped me to realise that I was most certainly not alone with my condition and here was something I could relate to. After reading the book, Sparks' novel really helped me to put my life into context and to share my experience with those who have been in similar situations, whilst spreading the word of this rare condition that has greatly affected my life.
The novel itself is based on Sparks' own observations within his family life, and Jamie Sullivan is said to be based on his sister, who went through a similar tale but ultimately passed away. As the preface promises, `first you will smile, then you will cry', which is no bad thing. I am not going to go in to too much detail surrounding the plot of the novel as I believe a lot of people reading this review will either already be familiar with it, and for those who aren't it isn't something worth spoiling. Several themes and messages pervade throughout the book, including a sense of Christian kinship, growing up, forgiveness and, ultimately, love. `A Walk to Remember' is an unforgettable coming-of-age tale that will undoubtedly make you cry, laugh and beg for more.
on September 22, 2016
This story is one of the most beautiful and sad stories that I have ever read. The chemistry between Landon and Jamie comes natural. Landon's character and emotions are marvelously narrated. I have watched the movie, but personally I think the book is better as it brought me a lot more feelings.
on September 1, 2010
I know that people always say that the movie is different from the book. And most will also say that the book is better than the movie. I usually agree, but this book was an exception. In fact, I think it's the only book/movie combo where I've actually liked the movie more.

Nicholas Sparks is an amazing author. His books are easy to read, yet the stories pull you in. The thing that I just could not get over with this book was how different it is from the movie.

I watched "A Walk to Remember" when it first came out, and since then it's been, hands down, my favorite movie. I love everything about it. So I just knew that I would love the book...but when I started reading the book, it was completely different. It's set in a different era; Landon isn't a "bad boy", Jamie's father wrote the play and Landon volunteered to be in it; they didn't have all of the sweet dates that helped her accomplish things on "her list"; Landon's parents were still together; and on and on and on. It was a COMPLETELY different book. The over-all moral of the story was the same, but practically all of the details were different.

That being said, I probably would have loved the book and hated the movie if I read it first. The actual book wasn't bad--it was just too different in my opinion. Since I've loved the movie for so long, the book wasn't what I thought it would be. However, I have a really good friend who loved the book before she saw that movie and she feels completely opposite.

To sum all of this up: If you love the movie, know that the book is completely different before you start it or you'll be disappointed. If you haven't seen the movie, read the book because it really is well-written.
on March 15, 2016
Even though this is only the third book by Nicholas Sparks I find his writing in this one to be just as mature as his most recent books. His descriptions are so meticulous that you feel as if you're in the room with the characters and experiencing all of the emotional feelings of the scene. I have read ten of Sparks' books am in the process reading my eleventh of his books and all have been a wonderful experience. I plan to read all the rest of his books even though I'm about to turn 81 on my aging calendar.