A. L. Butcher
Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About A. L. Butcher
British-born A. L. Butcher is an avid reader and creator of worlds, a poet, and a dreamer, a lover of science, natural history, history, and monkeys. Her prose has been described as ‘dark and gritty’ and her poetry as ‘evocative’. She writes with a sure and sometimes erotic sensibility of things that might have been, never were, but could be.
Alex is the author of the Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles and the Tales of Erana lyrical fantasy series. She also has several short stories in the fantasy, fantasy romance genres with occasional forays into gothic style horror, including the Legacy of the Mask series. With a background in politics, classical studies, ancient history and myth, her affinities bring an eclectic and unique flavour in her work, mixing reality and dream in alchemical proportions that bring her characters and worlds to life.
She also curates speculative fiction themed book bundles on BundleRabbit - for the most part the Here Be Series
Alex is also proud to be a writer for Perseid Press where her work features in Heroika: Dragon Eaters, Heroika Skirmishers – where she was editor and cover designer as well as writer; and Lovers in Hell – part of the acclaimed Heroes in Hell series. http://www.theperseidpress.com/
Awards: Outside the Walls, co-written with Diana L. Wicker received a Chill with a Book Reader’s Award in 2017.
NN Light Book Heaven awards:
The Kitchen Imps and Other Dark Tales won best fantasy for 2018
Echoes of a Song - one of her Phantom tales - won best fantasy in 2019
Customers Also Bought Items By
Titles By A. L. Butcher
- TALES OF ERANA: THE BLUE PHIAL by Alexandra Butcher - A short story from the world of 'The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles'.
- THE QRIM CHIEFTAIN by Stan Morris - When a haughty princess scorns a barbarian chieftain, her city pays the price.
- ANTIMATTER ME by Steph Bennion - The experiment had not been a success and now time was running out. Or was it running in?
- EXPLAIN THAT TO A MARTIAN by Gary Weston - Drinkers sometimes see all kinds of things. But even I wasn't expecting to see a four-eyed Martian in my lounge...
- THE IMAGINARY INVASION by Ubiquitous Bubba - When our reality is invaded by extra-dimensional beings, imaginary characters may be humanity's only hope.
- THE GUNS OF NAPOLEON by Peter Lean - A professor of history, a mysterious scientific institute and an impossible painting in a story of time travel.
- CAUSALITY by Neil Shooter - A dream of desolation and death. How can this end be a beginning? And how can a dream seem so real?
- NECROMANCER by Emma Faragher - Mal is a necromancer. Now her greatest debt is being called in and her skills are needed. On a murder investigation, no less.
- KIRA by Ross Harrison - Kira's town has so far survived the destruction wrought by the Government on so many others. But for how much longer?
- IN THE LAP OF THE GODS by Steph Bennion - There are those who would stop at nothing to keep certain inventions from becoming a reality.
- MONDAY IMPS by Alexandra Butcher - Have you ever wondered about Mondays? Why is it everything seems to go wrong? There is a simple answer...
- SEPARATE WARS ON THE SAME STREET by Josh Karaczewski - A new war is being fought on the rooftops and alleyways by men in mech suits.
- MESRIN STATION by L. L. Watkin - Jan was never an upstanding citizen, but he was never stupid either; and now they are all in more trouble than they thought...
- HALF-BLOOD by Barbara G. Tarn - Giordano discovers he's a half-blood. His search for his 'real' father will take him farther than he thought.
An eclectic collection of poetry and short prose for Ukraine. Poetry about war, warriors, hope, and sunflowers; multi-genre stories, featuring work from:
A. L. Butcher
Andrew P. Weston
Michael H. Hanson
Andrew P. Weston
Marta Moran Bishop
A.L. Butcher & Diana. L. Wicker
Inge - Lise Goss
Shakespeare said "To be wise and love exceeds man's might," and in Lovers in Hell, the damned in hell exceed all bounds as they search for their true loves, punish the perfidious, and avoid getting caught up in Satan's snares. In ten stories of misery and madness, hell's most loveless seek to slake the thirst that can never be quenched, and find true love amid the lies of ages.
Curses and blessing, sorcerous time travel, shape-shifters, hidden enchantment and corrupted blood.
Magic demands . . .
Saving those you love, courage, betrayal and fights against unspeakable forces.
Magic promises . . .
Last best hopes, reluctant and desperate heroes, ancient power unleashed and the compulsion to overcome death itself.
Magic risks . . .
Forbidden spells and deadly bargains.
Here be magic!
From life to death, from realm to realm, from past to future and in between—dare you adventure with wizards?
Table of Contents
1. "Good Scrying Gone Bad" by Dayle A. Dermatis
2. "Troll-magic" by J.M. Ney-Grimm
3. "Shakespeare's Curse" by Karen C. Klein
4. "Lords of Dyscrasia" by Seth Lindberg
5. "Chronicles of the Varian Empire - The Spell" by Barbara G.Tarn
6. "Hunting Wild" by J.M. Ney-Grimm
7. "Tales of Erana: The Warrior's Curse" by A. L. Butcher
8. "Legacy of Mist and Shadow" by Diana L. Wicker
9. "A Sudden Outbreak of Magic" by Michael Jasper
10. "Words of Rain and Shadows" by Linda Maye Adams
11. "Tales of Erana" by A. L. Butcher
12. "Mage of Merigor" by Alison Naomi Holt
13. "Drinking and Conjuring Don't Mix" by Stefon Mears
So strap on your jet pack and grab your broadsword and come join us in exploring these ‘Spectacular Tales’.
Moving On – Leland Dirks
Beneath a Bloated Yellow Moon – Nicole Storey
Floating – Laurie Boris
Miss Clemency Fisher – Mark Morris
Letter From the Road – Erin McGowan
Masquerade – LB Clark
Dead Broke – Jen Daniele
A Tricky Treat – Ann Cathey
Full Moon Rising – Nancy DeCilio Gauthier
Ghost Ship – Kristina Jackson
Hiding – Joshua Lay
Sensitive Skin – JD Mader
The Watcher – AL Butcher
Blood Brothers – Erin McGowan
Robin Hood – Laurie Boris
Smoke on the Wind – Ann Cathey
Hitchhiker- Leland Dirks
Untitled – Rich Meyer
Cautionary Tale – LB Clark
Clown Harvest – Jen Daniele
Contributors are alphabetically, DM Andrews, Tim Arnot, RJ Askew, Baarbaara, Andrew Barrett, Kath Brinck, Michael Brookes, Alexandra Butcher, DD Chant, Mel Comley, Lexie Conyngham, Raymond Daley, Ian Ellis, Robert Franks, Cornelius Harker, Mark R Faulkner, Vic Heaney, Jonathan Hill, Darren Humphries, Andrew Lawston, Stephen Livingston, Will Macmillan Jones, M T McGuire, Kath Middleton, Marc Nash, Harry Nicholson, Jenny Shaw, Rosen Trevithick, Simon Turpin, David Wailing, Jim Webster, Philip Whiteland.
- HORIZON - KIRA: PART 2 by Ross Harrison - It was just her and a boy, alone. Kira had to concentrate on keeping him alive.
- THE VISITOR by Neil Shooter - Time is relative. On an ordinary blustery British night an extraordinary visitor comes.
- A WORLD TAKEN OVER by Douglas Schwartz - He had conquered the world. How much more effort was it going to be to unconquer it?
- THE JOY OF SOCKS by A.L. Butcher - The imps knew what they wanted from the Bringer of Offerings...
- THE COLONIAL PLAGUE by L.L. Watkin - It's been years since Missra was executed and now her soul is shut away, but being the most powerful magical healer of her generation gets her out of the box occasionally...
- HUMANITY WAS DELICIOUS by Ubiquitous Bubba - Imagine you were the werewolf who ate the last human. What will you eat now? More importantly, how are you going to get off this alien ship?
- MY LAST DAY by Zach Tyo - Disaster awaits the Earth, yet an unexpected gift brings joy.
- GUISARME by Barbara G. Tarn - Members of the Assassins' Guild can be as honorable as anyone. They might be trained to kill, but they're just people with loved ones to protect and avenge.
- ROCK OF AGES by Steph Bennion - Letters from the past were hidden for a reason. But breaking into the secure facility was child's play compared to an unexpected family reunion...
- THE DINER by Michael Puttonen - Sometimes a life lived hasn't been lived at all.
- HOMELESS by Neil Shooter - Winter didn't end, but his world has. Is he completely alone? In a world gone cold, what can keep the spark of life shining?
- GY by Peter Lean - The Book was the knowledge that could open the door, but the worlds had been separated for a reason...
- IRREVOCABLE by L.J. Hick - He did not accept finality. All he knew was that he had to change the impossible.
- POISONED GROUND by Laurel A. Rockefeller - Lady Abbess Cara of house Ten-Ar must find the cause of a mysterious plague of illnesses before it is too late for the city of Nan-li...
- SASHA AND THE COLLARED GIRL by Stan Morris - The man was willing to trade his prized possession, but she was already lost.
- QUEST FOR THE PURPLE PUMPKIN by Victoria Zigler - A glittering surprise in the woods leads Polly to another world, where just being human is punishable by death...