Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ABA/AARP Checklist for Family Survivors: A Guide to Practical and Legal Matters When Someone You Love Dies
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on February 24, 2014
I've been fortunate to not yet face the death of a close family member. However, I've attended many funerals and have watched with sympathy and amazement at how mourning spouses and adult children are somehow able to take on the duties of planning and hosting a complicated, costly and logistically challenging multi-venue social event, which is what wakes, funerals, burials and other traditions of death often become. In addition to performing the work of an event planner, a surviving family member is also called upon to become a professional organizer, family therapist and — too often — forensic accountant.

Sally Balch Hurme's "Checklist for Family Survivors" is an essential book to own if you think you'll ever be called upon to manage all that happens as soon as a loved one dies and, as importantly, be responsible for the details of the aftermath, which is when the deceased person's finances and possessions need to be sorted through, distributed or somehow resolved.

Ideally, Hurme's book should be purchased and at least skimmed before actually needing to use it. That's my plan. I have the "Checklist for Family Survivors" and will try to remember where on my bookshelf I'm keeping it so, when or if the time comes, I can use and refer to the book and its checklists as needed.

The "Checklist for Family Survivors" would be a very useful gift for a friend or relative who is dealing with the terminal illness of a loved one, or has just experienced a loss. Such a blunt present may require some advance conversation. A possible icebreaker: "I see how you're having to handle so much due to NAME's illness/death. I know a great book that could be of help. May I give you a copy?"
on March 11, 2014
Most people I know want to keep their affairs private.

This book is a must read for the very young and the
very old and all of us in between. You can organize your life by just knowing you have documented what
is important for your loved ones to know when you die, whether it be this year or 25 years from now.

I plan to use this book, and the checklists therein in one of my lectures that I will be presenting to Seniors
at our local University this coming summer.

It is an excellent resource guide.
on June 27, 2014
This book with its CD is useful for those who want to plan ahead and lessen the burden on those whom they will leave behind when they die. Having just gotten started on filling in the checklists on-line, I can tell you that it is a time-consuming job to gather the information and type it in. Hopefully, the result will be very helpful to family members when the time comes and they need this information to know where to find it and in many instances to have the information already in one place at their fingertips.
on January 8, 2015
Great book! And if any of you are facing the Executor "End of life" obligations for one of your family, please think about getting this book.
I live in a different state than my brother. We have been very distant from each other - both physically and emotionally. I don't know his friends, what his Will says, or really much about him, except that I will be the only member of the family who is willing to clean up the financial-legal (different state) paperwork and the physical possessions mess that is left when he passes on. Trying to do that is going to be expensive (flight and a hotel, funeral, etc.) and time consuming to handle for him.
Hopefully, he can find someone there to help coordinate this for me, but if not - this book is a Godsend! I just hope I can convince him to fill it out with all this info that will be required when he passes on - to settle his estate.
And keeping that info in this book and under lock and key is essential! This is a lot of info and someone interested in id theft would love to get their hands on it when it is filled out. ID safety and care - as usual these days - should be the rule.
Good luck with it. I'd like to see everyone think ahead like this to the mess the "End of Life" stuff can be. This sure would make it all easier!
on May 1, 2014
This is an excellent way to inform my children of my wishes upon my death. I had everything in files and now they have a guide to take care of my estate.
on October 20, 2014
I am working on a major project to provide a checklist for widows and widowers for a large Methodist Church. In addition once our checklist is completed ,the final effort will be distributed to a non denominational ministry in Oklahoma known as Stand in the Gap for Widows. I have reviewed numerous efforts for a checklist (legal firms, secular checklists, accounting organizations, funeral homes), no one even comes close in covering the many circumstances that can occur. The Guide has been a blessing and will be so for anyone experiencing the loss of a loved one. I gave it 5 stars because there were not 10.
on August 2, 2015
Way too simplistic. Was looking for more definitive answers as to how to actually go about doing things rather than an overview. I would not recommend to anyone but the least well-versed in these matters.
on January 27, 2015
It has a lot of checklists as promised. I thought it could provide some examples, and maybe sample approaches for evaluating the services required for funerals/memorials. Would be nice to have testimonials or samples of ideas for memorials. It just made me feel that I needed a bit more info.
on July 23, 2014
Actually I got a much better one for free at our local Funeral Home/Cemetery. This book has a DVD with all the forms but they are very unprofessional looking. The best chaper, really the only one I used, was the one for Veterans.
on October 20, 2014
The book has helped me with knowing what to do or not to do in my responsibilities as a Power or Attorney and also as an Executor for my aunt who recently passed away. It's full of great information for many different situations. I highly recommend it.