Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(3 star). See all 278 reviews
on January 1, 2015
Read Julie Morgenstern instead... these authors repeat themselves too much and are constantly talking about hiring someone. What if you can't afford to? What then? I got a lot more from Morgenstern's book, because she reaches into tailoring systems for YOU.
on January 9, 2013
What can I say ... the writing is choppy enough that I can't seem to get into hyper-focus mode, but the tips are useful enough to make continued (sporadic) efforts worthwhile.

I DO take exception to the idea of hiring a whole slew of professionals to help get organized. If I am going to have to pay a professional home organizer to make sense of my life, I might as well pay a maid to come in once a week. My wife would probably like that. ;-)

But I don't want someone else to make sense of my life ... -I- want to make sense of it.

Ms Kolberg lives in a world of 'coach this', 'coach that' that just generally doesn't exist independently of a large income and a large city. And, for that, her book falls far short of what it could have been.
on May 26, 2016
I read all of this book. I have read oodles of articles and several other books regarding tidying (some ADHD specific, some not). The anecdotes opening each chapter almost made me cry because I could perfectly relate to every single story. However, if you are at the end of your rope like myself, you likely don't have the social circle these suggestions require or the alternative: enough money. I won't say that no one could get relief through this book, but I most definitely didn't.
on October 20, 2015
I have ADD/ADHD/whatever you want to call it... and this book helped, sort of. The problem was, it had good ideas, but most of what I read in here I had learned on my own while dealing with my ADHD. One example; a tip they give you is to leave items out to help you remember (like put your keys on the kitchen table so you remember it in the morning, etc). Something like that is just common sense when you have these types of scattered thoughts and issues. My main problem with this book is the writing and ideas are so simple that after a while, I found it borderline offensive. They probably thought, "these simpletons need small words, big font sizes, and the information repeated multiple times or they'll go running off towards something shiny." It seems like the authors are so out of touch that they felt the need to address the reader like a child. They might as well put pictures and simple diagrams inside too. Even the book itself is large, with large fonts as if designed for a senior citizen. Thanks for the extra legibility, but my eyes are fine.

Bottom line: The book DOES indeed have many helpful tips on how to organize your life, but it's described in a simple, overly drawn out way. If you're really having trouble, and looking for kind of a beginners guide, the book may help you with the basics. Personally, as a moderately ADD-affected guy, I found it irritating, mostly speaking to common sense, and written in a boring amateurish way. Who knows, though, maybe I don't quite fit the audience they were going for.
on September 14, 2012
I had many "aha!" moments during this book, and if I hadn't, I don't know if I could have stuck with it, because the narrator is dreadful! Usually, an audiobook is the best way for me to learn new material. Maybe that has something to do with having ADD, maybe it's just my learning style. But this woman could would have put me to sleep, if her delivery hadn't been so annoying. She "ov-er e-nun-ci-ates" every word, and it sounds like every pitch and nuance of delivery has been painfully scripted, in slo-ow, ag-on-iz-ing de-tail!!

It's really too bad, because the material is really useful. At last I understand why I do some things the way I do. (It's because I stumbled upon coping methods that worked for me with ADD.) And it is helping me come up with other methods for different areas of my life that still aren't working. At last I undertand why some of the typical organizing methods for dealing with papers and managing time have failed so miserably for me. And it gives me hope that as I implement new strategies in baby-steps, that at last I will succeed because I am learning methods that work "for" me instead of "against" me.

Bottom line, the author gets 5 stars. The narrator gets 1.
on January 17, 2014
The tips in this book seem like they'd be more useful to someone living in a family situation. Living alone, I found it hard to relate to the suggestions.
on October 30, 2014
mostly common sense nothing new
on December 30, 2014
So so. Not as helpful as I would have liked.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 12, 2009
Maybe I'm a Compulsive instead, seeing that I sat down and read the book in one gulp. For someone with a mild case of distractability, there were several very useful ideas, some of which I already do to help myself stay focused. (Stubby lists, for example) I also liked "Body Double".

The organization of the book was reliable--a good thing.

Probably very helpful for someone who is genuinely determined work on their ADD.
on July 22, 2016
Not really to helpful for helping with children. It is more geared toward the adult
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse