Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Line
Color: Lime|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 8, 2016
I needed a great deal on headphones. I love music, and I have been spoiled by Sennheiser HD280s, but I needed something portable for travel. I ran across these AKG Q460s. They were originally $229 when they first came out. Later, the price was cut to $149, and now, because they have been around for awhile, can be had for approximately $50. I compared them to my wife's Beats By Dre Solo2 (wired). Those had an original MSRP of $200, so I felt they should be comparable. The AKG Q460s are far superior in sound quality. They brought new life and energy into my music collection. I found myself picking random tracks to hear them over again on the AKGs. Very good sound, and for $50, I don't know how you can beat this pair without dropping $300. I'm very pleased with this purchase.
on July 27, 2016
This is all based on my 11 yr old. He took them for his own as soon as I got my first pair about 3 yrs ago. Wonder why I needed a 2nd pair? Easy answer. My son lost them.

In between, my son used sms street by 50 cent. Also a good set of headphones with one big difference. The streets have bigger cans making them much bigger overall. That means they're harder to travel with.

My son loved these akg's. They're very compact for on ear headphones. Good sound quality. I won't talk about hearing this or that frequency. I don't know since I've used them for 5 mins. But my son absolutely loves em for music and movies.

Both these and the streets have good sound quality but what puts these over the top are how compact it folds to. Even though they're small they insulate from background sounds very well.

I bought this 2nd set because of the size compared to the streets. I really hope these last. They're a great set of headphones for travel or otherwise.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 14, 2014
These were the best travel headphones I could find. They sound good: small headphones tend to be more treble-y than you'd like, and this is true on these too, but less than others I tried. They block out ambient sound really well given their small size. As a result, the volume level doesn't need to be as high as for earbud headphones, and for me they're worth buying for this reason alone. They fold easily and are reasonably sturdy. I liked how they come with a replacement cord in case the first one wears out. The controls on the cord worked fine with an iPhone, better than Apple's headphones whose buttons can stop working when the weather is freezing.

Downsides: The case was nice but really big and took a while to put the headphones in so I doubt it'd get used on a commute. The headphones look OK - they'd look better without the big Q logo on the side and the bright green cord.
on December 23, 2014
Same audio quality as your more expensive headphones, and bought at a price that couldn't be beat. The mini headphones are the perfect travel partner where full sized headphones would be cumbersome to pack. The headphones fold flat and come with a handy carrying case as well. The microphone works as expected while talking on a cell, and the pads are very comfortable and have been worn for extended periods of time without any discomfort. Comes with two cords (long and short). Sound reproduction is obviously not as great as headphones of three times the price tag, but for the sale price, the Q460s are a good commuting headphone.
on June 20, 2014
I bought these back in late 2011 when I was looking for a good set of on-the-ear headphones for daily use commuting and around town. I was starting to see the Beats by Dre headphones everywhere and was disappointed to read reviews of how bad the sound was in addition to how fragile they were. I checked them out in an airport kiosk and EEK they were horrible. I'm not an audiophile but I do care about sound, and most importantly I wanted a pair of headphones that would put up with daily wear on my bike and riding the subway. These headphones have proven to be exactly what I wanted and a great buy at this price.

After 2-1/2 years of daily wear the cable finally wore out last week and the buttons stopped working to play/pause, etc. I was able to find replacement cables on ebay - either stock or aftermarket for around $13 each including shipping. I went with the aftermarket (heavier and black) and like it even better than the factory. I hope to get another 2-1/2 years out of the headphones but honestly I've gotten my money's worth already at this point and will buy another pair the minute these finally crap out.

I use these phones every single day: my iPhone sits in my pocket and I control the sound with the buttons on the cable. They don't look massive on your head (I own a Sennheiser pair which sound awesome but make me look like Spaceman Spiff) when you wear them around town. I listen to music, podcasts, and have made hundreds of phone calls with these headphones. You can put them on and off with just one hand (one of the reasons I like wearing on-the-ear headphones more than earbuds) easily when you want to talk to people. They fold up nicely and I've just tossed them in my bag over the years without worrying about them. Most importantly they put up with years of real-world use. Even better: the main item likely to wear out is user-replacable in seconds for less than the price of a cocktail downtown.
on January 14, 2014
My wife had wanted a good pair of headphones for a while. She's not an audiophile by any stretch (nor am I), and really just wanted the ability to listen to her phone at work and not have her ears ache at the end of the day. In doing research on a ton of different options it seemed like these consistently had comments about the comfort being good. I saw these during the black Friday sale on Amazon and jumped at it.

Since I am not an audiophile I don't feel particularly qualified to comment on the sound quality (which I feel is good) so I'll focus more on other areas.

Pros:

They are excellent for travel. My wife throws them in her purse every day and brings them home (which is awesome for me to play the PS VIta). The case is maybe a bit bulky, but considering these aren't earbud's that isn't really a knock against them.

They are very comfortable for her*. They aren't your typical large over the ear headphones--they are actually surprisingly smallish. But they fit her well and she says they don't bother her by the end of the day.

Sound is good. Again, not an audiophile but had to throw in that I felt that the sound for these is very good. I use these to play my PS Vita at home and they are great. My wife also says they sound great.

Cons:

*Comfort for me. I won't say I have a big head (insert joke here), but it's probably not small either? I do get a little bit of soreness around my ears after a couple hours. I likely just need to adjust them more--which I haven't done much.

In all I think these are very good headphones and would buy a pair for myself.
on March 31, 2013
As a very satisfied owner of AKG Q701 headphones for home listening, it was pretty much a no-brainer for me to select these Q460 portables for traveling, trips to the fitness center, and public situations (airport waiting areas) where sealed enclosures were necessary for a variety of reasons. I still shopped around a bit both by listening and reading reviews. Excess bass is a problem for me, since I truly appreciate musical accuracy and the incredible balance of soundstage, depth and range the Q701s deliver. The Q460s provide an exceptional representation of balance in a portable format while still delivering ample bass response to most music. But then, I don't listen to bass-heavy musical styles, so that's a consideration.

The positives of the Q460s make this an exceptional value: portability and a convenient carrying case that I always use because it's so well designed; and, they're well constructed and easy to adjust with a detachable cord in two lengths for different use environments. Significantly, these are comfortable headphones that fit neatly over ears with well-designed size (not too large) and cushions that resist moisture (sweat) while providing comfort for longer listening sessions. I never use the iPhone adaptor, so can't address that.

I've used the Q460s for 90 straight days now and have dropped them a couple of times (workout situations) and they've held up nicely. I recommend them highly for durablity and comfort alone, but I bought them primarily for their sound, which -- if you're familiar with AKG's history and reputation -- you can read about in more detail in several other exellent reviews herein.

But don't take my word for it. There are currently several airport vendors featuring the Q460s where you can do a side-by-side listening comparison. Your decision won't be difficult after that.

For outstanding detail through the full range of musical representation, depth and soundstage, the AKG Q460s are a quality choice that represent solid value. Highly recommended.
on April 15, 2015
These are a nice alternative to the Bose Over-Ear headphone. They have even sounding and efficient drivers that provide plenty of low end with a pleasing treble. These are not hyped nor "scooped" sounding but instead offer are a fairly natural sounding headphone and they are powerful- especially considering their small size. They have a large "studio" style sound in a portable package reminiscent of the AKG K451 but when these open up after a few hours burn-in they surpass the K451 in image and dynamics. The case and extension cables as well as the iPhone microphone option only add to the value. Highly recommended.
on August 8, 2012
I saw that they were 75% off and I HAD to buy them. I had been lookin for headphones and I read AKG was a good brand and I came across these. I read the reviews and I felt like they were going to be ok (and they were). The sound is amazing compared to the painful ear buds I had. They are very comfortable. :)

I will be posting a lot of photos to show people the product because I know I personally feel better about ordering a pricey product when I can see what I'm really getting
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 3, 2014
**Update**
After 10 months of usage I love them even more and I'm not sure if this is all on my head but they seem to sound better also. Here is a more mature review for any interested on these wonderful headphones.

Pros:
-Wide variety of sound:
These are cool for Rock, Jazz, Reggae and Electro. I recently bought the Vmoda LP2 and they suck at playing anything different than electronic music.

-Extremely fun bass:
For their portable profile the bass is amazing, if you hear trance or DnB they kinda tickle your ears. And do not be confused, that's a good thing for me, other headphones deliver a boring flat sound as the M50x AudioTechnica for example, which is not a bad headphone at all, but is too flat for my taste.

-Portable:
The case and the headphones are both really small, you can take them anywhere you want. As a weekend college student they are my loyal companions, I just throw them on my backpack and it's done. The case is stiff and protects them very well, but beware with liquids as its not water proof.

Cons:
-Sound Isolation
I mean, they are over the ear headphones, they obviously are not designed to block extremely noisy environments. They do a decent job blocking some of the incoming sound. But if this is something mandatory for you look for over the ear headphones. The sound leakage is minimal but they might disturb people on the same room if you use too much volume.

-Confortabiltiy:
Again, over the ear headphones are usually not the most comfortable of all, these are not the exception. After 2 hours of listening you will have to take them off to let your ears rest a bit. Is not that they are hell uncomfortable. However I have normal sized head, if your head is big this might become a huge problem.

-The Cable:
The removable cable is cool and good quality. However the connection on the jack seems a little weak and loose. while it hasnt given me any problem just jet, it worries me every time I put my plugged cellphone on the pocket of a thigth pair of jeans. Those "L" shaped jacks ala vModa or Sennnheiser Momentum style would definitely be mandatory for these. BTW it comes with two cables: the inline normal sized cord and a smaller one without mic, designed to put your device on your s*** pocket maybe... I don't know, I only use the normal sized one.

-The inline mic:
It has a small and bearly perceivable hizz sound, and is not as clear as a dedicated headset. Personally I just answer quick calls with them, less than 5 minutes. But if you are planning to use them for long talks or trash talking on Skype this might be a problem for you. Also volume buttons don't work with Android devices.

Bottom line:
I do recommend these headphones if you have an ample musical tase and need good looking and portable headphones that deliver good quality sound with just a descent noise isolation.

Old and original review:
About comfort, at first I was a little scared since the ear pads looked really small, but they fit just nice. I have normal sized ears, if yours are bigger they may not be comfortable.

The case is really nice and well made, just like the headset, but I had a little trouble closing it as it doesn't fit 100%, not really a big deal for me.

The cords are from high quality, but they have a little drawback... it comes with one with a mic, which you may end up using for everything because the normal cord is way to short, it is just long enough to put your iPod or cellphone on your shirt pocket or maybe on some of those arm clips for jogging/gym, only then the size becomes a plus since you will not have excess of cord hanging around, I don't use them that way, so for me it's a drawback.

Overall I'm very happy with the headphones, the accessories may not be as nice as they could but they are OK.