Workplace Solutions Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Color: Lime|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 220 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2011
This headset has become the answer to my long quest for a high quality sound in a small, on ear headset. Based upon the acoustic accuracy as perceived with my ears which have many years of listening experience with a focus on blues, jazz, vocals, opera, classical, rock n' roll, folk, acoustic, ballads, C&W, Cajun, Tejano and more, I rate these headphones as a 5 star audio product. I compared them to Sennheiser 280 Pro, various Bose headsets, Bowers and Wilkins, Dr. Dre, Bang and Olufsen Form and others. I was amazed at how much musical clarity, range, brilliance, bass and presence the AKG Q460 provides compared to the other headsets I compared. It is important when testing these using an iPod Classic 160 GB - my music source in this case - to select the EQ, or equalizer, setting that is most pleasing to your own ears. The form factor of the Q460 makes them easy to carry, comfortable to wear indoors or outdoors (except for wind noise). I found they exclude enough external sound so that I can enjoy my music while someone is listening to a nearby television set. When I first tried this headset, I was blown away by the range of sound that came through clear and crisp. For example, bell tones, fingers on guitar strings, background talk between musicians, and I also experience the full side to side breadth of the sound spectrum across the recording studio or live stage. Very enjoyable and not expected in this price range. The cord is a super design and it can be disconnected from the headset and is strain relieved and well made. The ear pieces feel comfortable and are much preferred for bus and plane travel compared to ear buds. Quincy Jones must have approved this headset personally and he is a stickler for the quality of his arrangements and of his recordings - which span some sixty plus years and 27 Grammy awards. I have enjoyed his 4 CD Musical Biography on the Q460s. So, all in all, a great headset, but why did I have to take away one star from my 5 star rating?

The biggest reason is that the in line control on the long cord corrupted some of my music. This - I expect occurred when I was fast forwarding to the next song. Perhaps I accidently clicked the control an extra time, but whatever I did, there is no excuse for a product to corrupt the data in the iPod. The buttons on the control are tiny and my fingers are big so I may have hit two buttons at once. See photos. But, the end result was that a number of songs would play for a few seconds and then skip to the next song all by themselves. I had to delete and reload some 40 pieces of music to my iTunes library and to my iPod. Fortunately, I caught this early. If anyone can explain this, I will be glad to modify this review. I do not know the exact cause but it seems to be related to the long cord's integral control. The male plug also is different than that on the normal ipod headset as it has one extra insulated section. I cleaned up my corrupted iTunes files, stopped using the in line control, place the iPod on "lock" when inserting and removing the male plug and the problem seems to have gone away. Be very cautious before you invest in one of these headsets for use with an iPod Classic as AKG does not list them for iPod Classic use. In fairness, many iPod Classic users have complained on line about a similar song skipping problem, but have not blamed it on their headset.

The second reason for the loss of a star is that the warranty that I received is not good in the USA or Canada. Amazon or the seller should so state in its advertisement that this is a "gray market" product if that is in fact the case.

Some people have noted that the ear piece can come loose when adjusted. I found it is necessary to grip the headset by the slider and the steel backed band and not by the ear piece in order not to stress the swivel joint which can break if you put too much force on it.

I did not run any tests with an iPhone or other phone. The headset comes with a six inch phone adaptor cable. It also comes with a short cable which I found less useful and a long cable which is excellent except for the switch (which you do not have to use at all), but be careful if you loan out your iPod Classic and headset. If someone plays around with the switch, your music collection will suffer.

PRICE ALERT! Since the product is made in China - a low cost manufacturing country - I would have expected a lower price even though it is designed in Austria. I was right! To my chagrin, I purchased my AKG Q460 Headset from Amazon direct on April 2, 2011 for $151.47. Now, lucky buyers may pay $119 or less direct from AKG via Harman Kardon with free shipping too.
How low will it go? All in all a great small profile headset well worth your time to consider.
review image review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
I am not what you would consider a professional musician by any means. However, I have spent my fair share of time in the studio and have a degree in electronic media. After 2 weeks with these, my memory cannot recollect having heard headphones this good in...well, ever.

I was in the market for new headphones and when I heard that Quincy Jones was releasing a pair, I had to check em out. Then when I heard they were better than the Dre Beats, I definitely knew I had to get a pair. The only thing is that I was debating whether to purchase the Q460's or the 701's. Having purchased the 460's, I dont know if I will go forward with the 701's or not. These are that good. And as was mentioned in an earlier review, the sound quality seems to be getting better the more I listen to them. I went back and listened to some Isley Brothers, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, and whatever else I could find from that timeframe. Man, I heard things I've never noticed in those recordings before, both good and bad. It felt like the music was being played to me live from my ipod, and that is about the best compliment I can give. I dont know how the Q701's can possibly be better than these, but I intend to purchase them as well, although they may not be needed. The base thumps, but doesnt pound (although I havent run any old-school Miami bass through them yet). The snares are crisp, high hats ping and resonate accurately. Just a fantastic soundstage. I plan to watch a movie on my iMac soon through these to see how the surround sound plays out. They are really comfortable to wear and shut out most outside sound. I couldnt hear myself singing and I only had my volume up halfway. I actually had to pull one headphone away from my ear to make sure I wasnt just lip-syncing!!

The unique foldup design and the case are well designed. My only gripe is that the chord is really short. The default chord is like 2 feet and the iPhone-specific chord is maybe 4 feet. Coming out the back of my computer, I cant even lean back in the chair without running out of cable. I dont know if they make an extender specifically for these or if a regular extender will compromise the sound quality is some way, but its definitely something to think about if your sound is computer-based. These headphones I think are obviously made for use with portable devices but would not be frowned on in any studio in the world.

This is the first review I've ever written on Amazon, but these headphones spoke to me. Its awesome getting lost in music again like I havent really been able to do since I was a teenager.
66 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2012
If you are someone that doesn't sweat the small stuff then you will love this headphone. The overall look and quality of the materials seem very good. They come with a nice case and choice of cabling as well as a few adapters for phones and larger amplifiers. The sound is very "consumer" and bass friendly... but i will talk about that in a bit.

My biggest problem OUT OF THE BOX is that one of the circular Q symbols is misaligned, off-center, and peeling off!!! As i said, the rest of the build is great but this one piece really annoys, concerns, and angers me. So much so that I will be retuning this set :( I really don't want to though. Another small gripe is that the cable is stiff to pull out but locks fairly well... I don't have to discuss how awesome the lime green cable looks and feels so that is all good. Strain reliefs are well made but the hole to insert the cable is a bit too small or oddly shaped. The cable issue i can look past though.

Finally on to the consumer sound... I have owned many a pair of headphones in the past and currently own the (excellent) AKG k240 and Shure se215. Both are great sounding products. I have also tried many sennhieser and akg products, as well as the Vmoda M80 and phiaton ms400. Overall, i would say the sound is very similar to the Phiatons and Sennheiser HD 239. It has a heavy emphasis on bass to the point that it mess up the vocals considerably. However it performs great with hip hop, some dubstep, and house music, It fails considerably with any rock or alternative (a large part of my library). Granted, much of "todays" music will play fine on this set but expect no sparkle in the highs at all. I can, however, live with the sound signature as I tend to opt for rap or electronic music while on the go. Not very recommended for home use at all. Furthermore, the headphones play LOUD and distort with an amp so it is better straight out of an iPod or laptop rather than my FiiO E7.

This may all sound negative but there are many positives to this set of headphones. The bass heavy sound appeals to many people (me included) and makes music a bit more engaging. Soundstage is less than average for this type of headphone but i will let that slide as they do not leak terribly. They are very portable and the case included is simply amazing. The look and overall portability may convince me to keep this set but i cannot look past the broken panel OUT OF THE BOX! Another great last benefit is that they clamp the perfect amount. Great for staying on the head while walking or working out. The pads are comfortable and fit decently well for the size of the headphone itself. They are a headphone I'd be proud to own... that little defect makes me very mad though. I would like to note that the broken panel does not in any way affect the sound of the cans.

All things considered, I would recommend this headphone for any type of portable application. if you are going for neutral or Hi-Fi, steer clear, but if you want a fun sounding and cool headphone, you got your match here.
on March 26, 2011
I love these headphones! Right out of the box, you'll notice the mids and bass are strong--the highs take a bit to burn-in. Once everything is conditioned though, they're unbeatable in their category.

I was looking for something between earbuds and cans. I already own a pair of Sony MDR-7506 Studio Monitor headphones, which in my opinion, are the benchmark for cans in the $100 price range, and a pair of Klipsch Image S4 earbuds, which are above average in the $80 range.

The Q460's are extremely comfortable, and are a bit smaller than a Logitech ClearChat Comfort USB headset. I plugged them into my mp3 player first, and they blew away the Klipsch buds for mids and bass--they actually improved the sound of my mp3s, and put out a huge, ear-engulfing sound--surprising power for their size. My Sony cans chew up/spit out mp3s, and expose all the limitations of a compressed music file. The Q460s work around those limitations nicely.

I then plugged them into my CD player, and they replicated all the dynamics/highs/mids/lows that my Sonys do--I wasn't missing anything. As for the cord, the remote does not work on my Samsung Captivate phone, or my older iPod. I'm guessing it will work with newer iPods/iPhones. both of the included cords (remote, and non-remote) are very short, which I actually like. My Klipsch buds have a cord that's too long, and the Sony cord is too heavy--both limit my movement. the Q460s are a nice length if you're active.

Overall, the size, sound, quality build, cool color, Quincy Jones endorsement, and reputable audio manufacturer (AKG) make these a solid purchase. Just for fun, listen to Quincy's "Sanford & Son" theme song on the Q460s--it sounds fantastic, as it should!
on October 10, 2012
I was looking for a set of on-ear headphones for use at work. I am in an office where I was trying to accomplish three things:

-I needed headphones that didn't make me look like I was unavailable or not working... so no over ear huge headphones
-I wanted premium headphones that had great sound
-I wanted headphones that blocked out most outside sounds, but not all (and work great on airplanes)

I looked around for a few weeks and sampled over a dozen models. These headphones fit the bill perfectly... and were the only ones that did.

These headphones have a very broad frequency response and are fairly even in intensity across frequencies. Unlike some other headphones (Beats, I'm looking at you!) these headphones give a nice strong bass response without being out of context. This makes these headphones very versatile. I can use them for Netflix, spoken word audio, and music and they work great on them all. This is very important to me because I may be using these headphones for music one minute and listening to a web-based training class the next. It's also nice that these headphones have a built in microphone for quick calls that come in while listening to music. They also come with a nice case. I can't speak highly enough about these headphones and I strongly recommend them.

One recommendation, the cord these come with is a little short for work so I suggest you buy a headphone cable extension cord... it helps when plugging into the laptop.
on March 25, 2014
I play around a lot with budget audio gear. In my collection there's probably a dozen pairs of IEMS and a half dozen set of full size cans, but this is the first set of on the ear portables I've personally owned.

The good:
These headphones have a nice solid feel, good build quality and aren't hard on the eyes at all. The unique fold up design and the case are well implemented, giving you space for all the included accessories and an extra adapter or cable. These headphones are VERY easy to drive, so portable media players should have no problem getting the most out of the drivers. I've heard better and worse in the price range. The sound quality is definitely geared a little towards modern music production, but more than acceptable for all sorts of genres. These headphones provide a nice clear reproduction with a small, but noticeable, boost to the bass range.

The One Star Loss:
My two complaints are that the 'normal' headphone cable is very short and that the design can become uncomfortable to wear after an extended period of time.The supplied neon green cables won't be everybody's cup of tea (consider the nearly identical AKG 450s if the color is just too much for you) and the green cables are a little on the thin side.The default cable is around 2 feet and the iPhone-specific chord is maybe 4 feet. I fixed this by ordering an aftermarket replacement cable on amazon, but in doing so lost the 'fun' aspect of the Quincy Jones signature green. As for the slight discomfort, it's nothing horrible and similar to most headphones that stay on by using the band to provide clamping force.

Overall I'm quite happy with these headphones and would gladly recommend them to those looking for a well built, pleasant sounding set of portable cans.
on September 9, 2012
Let me start by saying that I have very picky ears & being a musician, I have very high expectations from high-end headphones. I've used AKG products for years, but more in Microphones than headphones. I also want to mention that I also own a pair of Beats Studio to use during my frequent flights, and for home music listening, as well as a pair of Shure studio monitoring headphones for studio recording. I had also owned a pair of Bose QC15 & an old pair of over-ears with which I was very satisfied but the sound lacked bass in some music genres. So I needed a more portable pair on the go and I'm not a fan of earbuds (although the only earphones I appreciate are the iBeats with changeable noise-isolating buds).

During my search for the perfect-sounding, high-end-like, portable headphones to use with my iPod/iPhone (a standard 32 ohm device, playing 256 Kbps AAC), I tried at least 50 different pairs from different manufacturers, always using the same tracks (using a range of genres to cover most music frequencies. I used: Dance, Electronic, Jazz, Alternative, Rock, Pop, Country, Classical). Some of the pairs I've tried included: Klipsch Premium One, Bose OE2i, Sennheiser HD 239, Beats Solo HD, Bowers & Wilkins P5 & P3, Harman Kardon Bluetooth wireless, Bose AE2i, AKG DJ closed-back, Monster Inspiration, Skullcandy Aviator, and many others but these were the ones I could have bought instead of the AKG Mini.

Why the AKG Mini Q460 won?
- Frequency Response from 11 Hz - 29.5 KHz (you won't find that important piece of information on the product description. Only found in the manual & product box with a clear audible proof!!). If you don't know what these figures mean, simply know that a standard pair of headphones has a range of 20 Hz - 20 KHz. Having a bigger range means hearing more details in sound as well as delivering better sound throughout different music genres. The range for higher-end sets is 15-25. So the AKG's range is clearly my far greater, thus providing superb sound fidelity!
- Loudest sound output with low noise, decent Bass & Mid-range thanks to its 40mm drive (usually found in larger-sized headphones).
- Best external noise isolation thanks to its closed-back design & 40mm drive (not to be confused with active noise-cancellation found in the Monster pair). Once on, you won't hear anything around you unless it's overly loud. Won't isolate a plane's or subway's noise but you'll still listen pleasantly to your music.
- Most comfortable (the only one I didn't take off after over 4 constant hours of listening. They get softer within the first week of use)
- Smallest headphone size (for great portability) without compromising sound quality.
- Lightest of all I've tried so hanging them around my neck for hours of walking doesn't hurt or add any weight. They also don't add much weight to my handbag!
- Most importantly: The ONLY pair that gave me the most DETAILED sound in ALL music genres that I've tried.
- Best $90 value (compared to others that cost as much as $300).
- And YES, it sounded better than the B&W P5!! (AKG was louder, more comfortable, & more detailed. P5 failed at Electronic, Dance, and Country).
- Build quality although the B&W were also very good. But I didn't expect such a quality for a $90 priced pair. I have the black pair.
- Finally, my trust in AKG quality of their products (although I also had good trust in B&W, Bose, Harman Kardon & Sennheiser).

In short, this pair of headphones did not disappoint me. I did not have any issues with quality after frequent using (had it for almost a month now with daily use & even tossing them inside my bags without the case sometimes). I use it with the in-line mic cable because it works seamlessly with my iPhone & MacBook. The other cable is indeed too short for practical use! Instead, I use it as an audio cable to connect my iPod/iPhone via Aux connection in my car or other speakers (it's a great quality cable that comes in very handy, & I like the lime-green color that stands out so it's not easily lost among other black cables).

If you're checking those headphones right now, do not hesitate! It's an easy buy that's worth all the money and it's already down-priced! Why pay hundreds of dollars for other headphones that don't sound as good? Yes I still love my over-priced Beats Studio but they are not portable & I hate having them on the go, plus they are too heavy when I'm hanging them around my neck! So the AKG are my choice for a portable pair of headphones to take along without compromising high-end sound quality that I would get out of the larger, less-portable sets.

Hope this review helps with your decision...

Update: After a few months of continuous use now, I have to say that they are holding very well. Haven't used the case much and yet they remain sturdily intact despite tossing them in my bag wherever I go. I also have to say that I'm now strongly favoring their sound to my pricey Beats Studio and that is very likely due to the AKG's larger frequency response, considering that both headphones use a 40mm driver. AKG, you did a great job on this one!!! My next comparison will be with a pair of Grados. Keep checking for another update soon.
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2013
I can definitely attest to the other reviews that these headphones sound amazing. True and clear sound reproduction in all ranges with a healthy amount of bass response (though in the reference-style of accurate bass, not the oversaturated bass you can get from some other gear - if that's your thing I'd search elsewhere). Highly recommended for the audio enthusiast.

For me, though, these got boxed back up for a return in <10 minutes because I, being a gentleman of larger stature (and a big noggin), am evidently not within the design parameters for the physical "reach" of these headphones. Unfortunately if I have the headband positioned properly (so the phones don't fall off my head) the ear cups are about 1/2" too high on each side with the bands fully extended. Bummer.

Note: the 2 cables that come with the headphones are best described as "moderately short" and "very short". Probably okay if you've got your phone in your pocket, but if you're sitting at a desk at work you're going to want an extension cable.

Another note: I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how to get the headphones to seat comfortably in the carrying case. There are molded areas where everything should fit, but it just seemed like the case was a bit narrower than the headphones. With the extra cables and adapters tucked away in the opposite side of the case from the headphones the cover didn't seem to close properly (I'd be concerned with things breaking due to crush pressure in the long run).
on July 27, 2016
This is all based on my 11 yr old. He took them for his own as soon as I got my first pair about 3 yrs ago. Wonder why I needed a 2nd pair? Easy answer. My son lost them.

In between, my son used sms street by 50 cent. Also a good set of headphones with one big difference. The streets have bigger cans making them much bigger overall. That means they're harder to travel with.

My son loved these akg's. They're very compact for on ear headphones. Good sound quality. I won't talk about hearing this or that frequency. I don't know since I've used them for 5 mins. But my son absolutely loves em for music and movies.

Both these and the streets have good sound quality but what puts these over the top are how compact it folds to. Even though they're small they insulate from background sounds very well.

I bought this 2nd set because of the size compared to the streets. I really hope these last. They're a great set of headphones for travel or otherwise.
on March 31, 2013
As a very satisfied owner of AKG Q701 headphones for home listening, it was pretty much a no-brainer for me to select these Q460 portables for traveling, trips to the fitness center, and public situations (airport waiting areas) where sealed enclosures were necessary for a variety of reasons. I still shopped around a bit both by listening and reading reviews. Excess bass is a problem for me, since I truly appreciate musical accuracy and the incredible balance of soundstage, depth and range the Q701s deliver. The Q460s provide an exceptional representation of balance in a portable format while still delivering ample bass response to most music. But then, I don't listen to bass-heavy musical styles, so that's a consideration.

The positives of the Q460s make this an exceptional value: portability and a convenient carrying case that I always use because it's so well designed; and, they're well constructed and easy to adjust with a detachable cord in two lengths for different use environments. Significantly, these are comfortable headphones that fit neatly over ears with well-designed size (not too large) and cushions that resist moisture (sweat) while providing comfort for longer listening sessions. I never use the iPhone adaptor, so can't address that.

I've used the Q460s for 90 straight days now and have dropped them a couple of times (workout situations) and they've held up nicely. I recommend them highly for durablity and comfort alone, but I bought them primarily for their sound, which -- if you're familiar with AKG's history and reputation -- you can read about in more detail in several other exellent reviews herein.

But don't take my word for it. There are currently several airport vendors featuring the Q460s where you can do a side-by-side listening comparison. Your decision won't be difficult after that.

For outstanding detail through the full range of musical representation, depth and soundstage, the AKG Q460s are a quality choice that represent solid value. Highly recommended.