Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Color: Lime|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 224 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 263 reviews
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2011
This headset has become the answer to my long quest for a high quality sound in a small, on ear headset. Based upon the acoustic accuracy as perceived with my ears which have many years of listening experience with a focus on blues, jazz, vocals, opera, classical, rock n' roll, folk, acoustic, ballads, C&W, Cajun, Tejano and more, I rate these headphones as a 5 star audio product. I compared them to Sennheiser 280 Pro, various Bose headsets, Bowers and Wilkins, Dr. Dre, Bang and Olufsen Form and others. I was amazed at how much musical clarity, range, brilliance, bass and presence the AKG Q460 provides compared to the other headsets I compared. It is important when testing these using an iPod Classic 160 GB - my music source in this case - to select the EQ, or equalizer, setting that is most pleasing to your own ears. The form factor of the Q460 makes them easy to carry, comfortable to wear indoors or outdoors (except for wind noise). I found they exclude enough external sound so that I can enjoy my music while someone is listening to a nearby television set. When I first tried this headset, I was blown away by the range of sound that came through clear and crisp. For example, bell tones, fingers on guitar strings, background talk between musicians, and I also experience the full side to side breadth of the sound spectrum across the recording studio or live stage. Very enjoyable and not expected in this price range. The cord is a super design and it can be disconnected from the headset and is strain relieved and well made. The ear pieces feel comfortable and are much preferred for bus and plane travel compared to ear buds. Quincy Jones must have approved this headset personally and he is a stickler for the quality of his arrangements and of his recordings - which span some sixty plus years and 27 Grammy awards. I have enjoyed his 4 CD Musical Biography on the Q460s. So, all in all, a great headset, but why did I have to take away one star from my 5 star rating?

The biggest reason is that the in line control on the long cord corrupted some of my music. This - I expect occurred when I was fast forwarding to the next song. Perhaps I accidently clicked the control an extra time, but whatever I did, there is no excuse for a product to corrupt the data in the iPod. The buttons on the control are tiny and my fingers are big so I may have hit two buttons at once. See photos. But, the end result was that a number of songs would play for a few seconds and then skip to the next song all by themselves. I had to delete and reload some 40 pieces of music to my iTunes library and to my iPod. Fortunately, I caught this early. If anyone can explain this, I will be glad to modify this review. I do not know the exact cause but it seems to be related to the long cord's integral control. The male plug also is different than that on the normal ipod headset as it has one extra insulated section. I cleaned up my corrupted iTunes files, stopped using the in line control, place the iPod on "lock" when inserting and removing the male plug and the problem seems to have gone away. Be very cautious before you invest in one of these headsets for use with an iPod Classic as AKG does not list them for iPod Classic use. In fairness, many iPod Classic users have complained on line about a similar song skipping problem, but have not blamed it on their headset.

The second reason for the loss of a star is that the warranty that I received is not good in the USA or Canada. Amazon or the seller should so state in its advertisement that this is a "gray market" product if that is in fact the case.

Some people have noted that the ear piece can come loose when adjusted. I found it is necessary to grip the headset by the slider and the steel backed band and not by the ear piece in order not to stress the swivel joint which can break if you put too much force on it.

I did not run any tests with an iPhone or other phone. The headset comes with a six inch phone adaptor cable. It also comes with a short cable which I found less useful and a long cable which is excellent except for the switch (which you do not have to use at all), but be careful if you loan out your iPod Classic and headset. If someone plays around with the switch, your music collection will suffer.

PRICE ALERT! Since the product is made in China - a low cost manufacturing country - I would have expected a lower price even though it is designed in Austria. I was right! To my chagrin, I purchased my AKG Q460 Headset from Amazon direct on April 2, 2011 for $151.47. Now, lucky buyers may pay $119 or less direct from AKG via Harman Kardon with free shipping too.
How low will it go? All in all a great small profile headset well worth your time to consider.
review image review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2013
I can definitely attest to the other reviews that these headphones sound amazing. True and clear sound reproduction in all ranges with a healthy amount of bass response (though in the reference-style of accurate bass, not the oversaturated bass you can get from some other gear - if that's your thing I'd search elsewhere). Highly recommended for the audio enthusiast.

For me, though, these got boxed back up for a return in <10 minutes because I, being a gentleman of larger stature (and a big noggin), am evidently not within the design parameters for the physical "reach" of these headphones. Unfortunately if I have the headband positioned properly (so the phones don't fall off my head) the ear cups are about 1/2" too high on each side with the bands fully extended. Bummer.

Note: the 2 cables that come with the headphones are best described as "moderately short" and "very short". Probably okay if you've got your phone in your pocket, but if you're sitting at a desk at work you're going to want an extension cable.

Another note: I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how to get the headphones to seat comfortably in the carrying case. There are molded areas where everything should fit, but it just seemed like the case was a bit narrower than the headphones. With the extra cables and adapters tucked away in the opposite side of the case from the headphones the cover didn't seem to close properly (I'd be concerned with things breaking due to crush pressure in the long run).
on December 3, 2011
Original purchase in October 23, 2011; but alas, after five years I finally got tired of asking my wife if I could use them. So, naturally I broke down and bought myself a pair for myself (November, 2016). I also own a Bose Bluetooth headphones as well as the Beats Studio, which I seldom use if ever, I still like the AKG Q460 the beast. I have profound hearing loss and must wear hearing aides, and since the AKG sits ON THE EAR I'm not forced to take them out -- the two hearing devices function without interfering with the other. Another thing that makes these SOOO NICE is their size. They collapse and pack, carry comfortably around the neck, ready to answer a call on the cell, or listen in private my favorite podcast or audiobook. Life is good, and so are my AKG.

Oh no! I LOST MY BRAND NEW 'AKG,s' ‼️

So what else could I do, I bought yet another, my THIRD, only deference being I selected the 'BLACK' Quincy Jones. They sound the same but at last now I can keep it straight which one is mine.

Hillbilly
on August 8, 2012
I saw that they were 75% off and I HAD to buy them. I had been lookin for headphones and I read AKG was a good brand and I came across these. I read the reviews and I felt like they were going to be ok (and they were). The sound is amazing compared to the painful ear buds I had. They are very comfortable. :)

I will be posting a lot of photos to show people the product because I know I personally feel better about ordering a pricey product when I can see what I'm really getting
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on March 25, 2014
I play around a lot with budget audio gear. In my collection there's probably a dozen pairs of IEMS and a half dozen set of full size cans, but this is the first set of on the ear portables I've personally owned.

The good:
These headphones have a nice solid feel, good build quality and aren't hard on the eyes at all. The unique fold up design and the case are well implemented, giving you space for all the included accessories and an extra adapter or cable. These headphones are VERY easy to drive, so portable media players should have no problem getting the most out of the drivers. I've heard better and worse in the price range. The sound quality is definitely geared a little towards modern music production, but more than acceptable for all sorts of genres. These headphones provide a nice clear reproduction with a small, but noticeable, boost to the bass range.

The One Star Loss:
My two complaints are that the 'normal' headphone cable is very short and that the design can become uncomfortable to wear after an extended period of time.The supplied neon green cables won't be everybody's cup of tea (consider the nearly identical AKG 450s if the color is just too much for you) and the green cables are a little on the thin side.The default cable is around 2 feet and the iPhone-specific chord is maybe 4 feet. I fixed this by ordering an aftermarket replacement cable on amazon, but in doing so lost the 'fun' aspect of the Quincy Jones signature green. As for the slight discomfort, it's nothing horrible and similar to most headphones that stay on by using the band to provide clamping force.

Overall I'm quite happy with these headphones and would gladly recommend them to those looking for a well built, pleasant sounding set of portable cans.
on November 11, 2015
Sound is very nice, very accurate and clear but only at low or mid volume.
At max power volume, mid range will lead, however, in this situation a good EQ will solve the issue.
Very confortable and portable.
I ranked this product with 4 starts because plastic looks and feels cheap (only perception)
Overall, I recomend this product
on April 17, 2017
It pinches head if wearing more than half an hour
on March 6, 2015
Garbage!!!
on December 30, 2010
I am not what you would consider a professional musician by any means. However, I have spent my fair share of time in the studio and have a degree in electronic media. After 2 weeks with these, my memory cannot recollect having heard headphones this good in...well, ever.

I was in the market for new headphones and when I heard that Quincy Jones was releasing a pair, I had to check em out. Then when I heard they were better than the Dre Beats, I definitely knew I had to get a pair. The only thing is that I was debating whether to purchase the Q460's or the 701's. Having purchased the 460's, I dont know if I will go forward with the 701's or not. These are that good. And as was mentioned in an earlier review, the sound quality seems to be getting better the more I listen to them. I went back and listened to some Isley Brothers, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, and whatever else I could find from that timeframe. Man, I heard things I've never noticed in those recordings before, both good and bad. It felt like the music was being played to me live from my ipod, and that is about the best compliment I can give. I dont know how the Q701's can possibly be better than these, but I intend to purchase them as well, although they may not be needed. The base thumps, but doesnt pound (although I havent run any old-school Miami bass through them yet). The snares are crisp, high hats ping and resonate accurately. Just a fantastic soundstage. I plan to watch a movie on my iMac soon through these to see how the surround sound plays out. They are really comfortable to wear and shut out most outside sound. I couldnt hear myself singing and I only had my volume up halfway. I actually had to pull one headphone away from my ear to make sure I wasnt just lip-syncing!!

The unique foldup design and the case are well designed. My only gripe is that the chord is really short. The default chord is like 2 feet and the iPhone-specific chord is maybe 4 feet. Coming out the back of my computer, I cant even lean back in the chair without running out of cable. I dont know if they make an extender specifically for these or if a regular extender will compromise the sound quality is some way, but its definitely something to think about if your sound is computer-based. These headphones I think are obviously made for use with portable devices but would not be frowned on in any studio in the world.

This is the first review I've ever written on Amazon, but these headphones spoke to me. Its awesome getting lost in music again like I havent really been able to do since I was a teenager.
66 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2012
If you are someone that doesn't sweat the small stuff then you will love this headphone. The overall look and quality of the materials seem very good. They come with a nice case and choice of cabling as well as a few adapters for phones and larger amplifiers. The sound is very "consumer" and bass friendly... but i will talk about that in a bit.

My biggest problem OUT OF THE BOX is that one of the circular Q symbols is misaligned, off-center, and peeling off!!! As i said, the rest of the build is great but this one piece really annoys, concerns, and angers me. So much so that I will be retuning this set :( I really don't want to though. Another small gripe is that the cable is stiff to pull out but locks fairly well... I don't have to discuss how awesome the lime green cable looks and feels so that is all good. Strain reliefs are well made but the hole to insert the cable is a bit too small or oddly shaped. The cable issue i can look past though.

Finally on to the consumer sound... I have owned many a pair of headphones in the past and currently own the (excellent) AKG k240 and Shure se215. Both are great sounding products. I have also tried many sennhieser and akg products, as well as the Vmoda M80 and phiaton ms400. Overall, i would say the sound is very similar to the Phiatons and Sennheiser HD 239. It has a heavy emphasis on bass to the point that it mess up the vocals considerably. However it performs great with hip hop, some dubstep, and house music, It fails considerably with any rock or alternative (a large part of my library). Granted, much of "todays" music will play fine on this set but expect no sparkle in the highs at all. I can, however, live with the sound signature as I tend to opt for rap or electronic music while on the go. Not very recommended for home use at all. Furthermore, the headphones play LOUD and distort with an amp so it is better straight out of an iPod or laptop rather than my FiiO E7.

This may all sound negative but there are many positives to this set of headphones. The bass heavy sound appeals to many people (me included) and makes music a bit more engaging. Soundstage is less than average for this type of headphone but i will let that slide as they do not leak terribly. They are very portable and the case included is simply amazing. The look and overall portability may convince me to keep this set but i cannot look past the broken panel OUT OF THE BOX! Another great last benefit is that they clamp the perfect amount. Great for staying on the head while walking or working out. The pads are comfortable and fit decently well for the size of the headphone itself. They are a headphone I'd be proud to own... that little defect makes me very mad though. I would like to note that the broken panel does not in any way affect the sound of the cans.

All things considered, I would recommend this headphone for any type of portable application. if you are going for neutral or Hi-Fi, steer clear, but if you want a fun sounding and cool headphone, you got your match here.