ANCHORSEAL 2 Hybrid Log & Lumber end Grain Sealer - Water-Based Wax & Polymer Prevents up to 90% of end Checking (Drying Splits) on Cut Ends. Green Wood Sealer for Turning Blanks & Bowls. (1 Gallon)
|Color||Anchorseal 2 Green Wood Sealer Gallon|
|Item Volume||3785 Milliliters|
About this item
- Prevents up to 90% or more of end checking (drying splits)
- Green wood sealer for turning blanks, cookies, wood bowls and carvings.
- Ipe decking end sealer - widely used to protect cut ends of wood decks & steps
- Water-based , eco-friendly log & lumber end grain sealer
- End grain sealer of choice among log and lumber industry professionals since 1980
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
ANCHORSEAL 2 is a hybrid of plant-based polymers and wax that protects the ends of green logs and lumber from end checking and splitting. AS2 controls the rate of moisture loss during air drying for hardwood, exotic hardwood decking and softwood. It is a high-performance, economical choice for sealing green wood and fresh cut lumber. ANCHORSEAL 2 is best-in-class for the protection of deck end cuts for exotic hardwood species. When carefully applied to the freshly cut ends of tropical hardwoods, such as ipe, Brazilian cherry, mahogany, teak, cumaru & tigerwood, AS2 prevents up to 90% of end checking, protecting your investment and extending the life of the deck. It is also a preferred end grain sealer of the woodworking industry for wood bowls, turning blanks, cookies & live-edge wood slabs.
Prevents up to 90% of end checks and drying splits on logs and freshly cut lumber • Hybrid formula combines wax with natural plant-based polymers • Can be applied to all species of hardwood or softwood
• Helps prevent blue stain and sapstain caused by damaging fungi • Water based, non-toxic formula, soap & water clean-up • Available in clear or more than 35 colors • Winterized formulas available
Coverage: 100 sq. ft./gallon, depending on application method and wood species.
- All areas to be coated should be clear of dirt and debris
- Apply ANCHORSEAL 2 using a brush, roller or sprayer until it begins to drip slightly
- For optimal coverage, use a gas engine, electric, air operated or backpack sprayer from U·C Coatings
- If using spray equipment other than those sold by U·C Coatings, use 0.21”/0.55 mm tip or larger
- Logs larger than 24”/60 cm in diameter will require a heavier coating, or two coats must be applied within a 15 minute period
- If applying to the cut ends of deck boards: apply ANCHORSEAL 2 carefully with a thin brush or sponge applicator. To avoid potential staining, do not allow ANCHORSEAL 2 to get on the face of the boards.
- If you need a deck end cut sealer that penetrates below the surface of wood that can be painted or stained over, we recommend SEAL ENDS ONCE (also made by U-C Coatings)
Cleanup & Storage
- Clean application equipment using hot soapy water
- Store unused ANCHORSEAL 2 above 50°F/10°C to prevent freezing. Winterized formulas will protect against freeze damage
ANCHORSEAL 2 - The leading log & lumber end grain sealer since 2006. Also widely used for sealing wood bowls, cutting boards, turning blanks and protecting the ends of wood decks.
Available in Quart, Gallon & 5 Gallon Sizes
ANCHORSEAL 2 combines our wax emulsion with natural, plant-based polymers to create a hybrid end sealer that protects freshly cut logs and lumber from damaging end checks and splits while air drying. ANCHORSEAL 2 can be used on hardwood and softwood logs and lumber to protect against costly degradation.
Prevents up to 90% of end checks and drying splits
• Hybrid formula combines wax with natural plant-based polymers
• Can be applied to all species of hardwood or softwood
• Helps prevent blue stain and sapstain caused by damaging fungi
• Water based, non-toxic formula
• Available in clear or more than 35 colors
Coverage: 100 sq. ft./gallon, depending on application method and wood species.
• Apply a heavy film of ANCHORSEAL 2 using a brush, roller or sprayer until it begins to drip slightly.
• For optimal coverage, use a gas engine, electric, air operated or backpack sprayer
• If using spray equipment other than those sold by U·C Coatings, use 0.21”/0.55 mm tip or larger.
Premium sealer for green wood, wood bowls, turning blanks, cookies & slabs
ANCHORSEAL and ANCHORSEAL 2 have been the leading end grain sealer for the log & lumber industry since 1980. Not only are they the best end grain sealers in the world, they come at a low cost, with easy application and clean up with soap & water.
Product detailsSize:1 Gallon
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- Product Dimensions : 7.7 x 6.8 x 6.8 inches; 8.91 Pounds
- Item model number : Anchorseal 2 Green Wood Sealer Gallon
- Date First Available : February 25, 2010
- Manufacturer : U-C Coatings
- ASIN : B003A08DU6
Best Sellers Rank:
#9,358 in Tools & Home Improvement (See Top 100 in Tools & Home Improvement)
- #10 in Wood Glue
- Customer Reviews:
Statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
• It works to prevent cracks 98% of the time
• It's inexpensive - a little goes a LONG way
• Easy to apply and requires little to no clean-up
• Dries clear, allowing you to identify wood species
• It is one additional processing step (yeah, I know I'm stretching here)
• Dedicate a paint brush (doesn't matter what kind - I use synthetic) so it's always near the can and handy.
• Store brush "wet" in a sealed ziplok or wash quickly in warm water.
• Use a mat (rubber, synthetic, plastic) to catch drips and smears when applying and don't bother to clean after use.
• Apply liberally to coat thoroughly (a gallon covers hundreds of bowls or blanks).
• If you mark your blanks or bowls with wood species and/or a date - do this before you apply Anchorseal 2.
Brilliant chemists could tell you the exact composition of this product, but between you and me, think of this as liquid wax. When applied, it looks like milky white paint, but within 12-24 hours, it dries pretty much transparent and feels waxy. I generally dedicate a paint brush to this task and you can wash it out in warm water after each use or you can slide it "wet" into a ziplok, seal and it stores just fine for months. I also have a rolled up piece of rubber mat that I throw on my workbench when I "paint" blanks or bowls. When I spill product or rest a "painted" side on the rubber, I just leave the Anchorseal on the mat and don't bother to wipe or rinse off between uses. So clean-up is non-existent.
I have to admit I'm a zealot for this product...now if someone would just create a self-sharpening bowl gouge.
I don't know if it is easy to stir up, but I took no chances and went to my local Home Depot and asked them to shake the can since my first use would be in the field in 2 days.
1. Goes on very easily with a cheap bristle brush.
2. Clean up is a snap. The wax emulsion quickly rinses out of the brush. I used a Sharpie to label it solely for use with Anchorseal.
3. Once mixed, it stays mixed for days.
4. Comes in a plastic can and lid. Wish latex primer and paint came in plastic cans and lids--no corrosion.
5. While I cannot personally attest to how well applying Anchorseal to freshly cut end grain prevents checking (splitting) by reducing the drying rate, as I mentioned above, my sawyer swears by it and red oak boards I bought from him earlier this year that had been air-drying for over a year, showed no checking.
6. Best: Anchorseal allows you to quickly and easily apply the best seal--wax--to the end of the freshly cut lumber. It blocks water and oxygen. Old-time canners relied on wax to seal their jars.
1. While it will take some time before I can personally attest to Anchorseal's effectiveness in preventing checking in our 8/4 walnut boards, the only negative I can think of is that it goes on and spreads so easily that I may not have applied a thick enough layer.
- Two coats of Anchor seal: pretty large splits, but about 50% less than if no seal were applied.
- Two coats of aluminum paint: splits were about 40% shorter than using Anchor seal.
- One coat of aluminum paint, let dry two days, then one coat of Anchor seal applied over it: Almost no splits at all.
I applied the coatings to the log ends two days after cutting the trees to allow for some initial moisture seepage from the logs. If you apply too early on wet wood during the growing season, then the high level of escaping moisture will cause the sealers to peel away from the wood. In my northern area, it is better to wait three days.
In the future, when I mill more wood, I will use the mixed method of using both Anchor Seal and the aluminum paint since I got almost perfect results with it.
Top reviews from other countries
Can is alot of money for size
Save your money
I tried flex seal works just as good if your done milling your boards already
not sure if is ok to run through the mill with it though.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Disclaimer: While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Amazon.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.