Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Style: AC Outlets Only|Change

on October 7, 2016
For the non-techies, buying a surge suppressor is a very confusing process. The marketing departments want you to focus on the huge print telling you that their device is so good that they include a $100,000 !!! insurance protection for any device damaged by a surge. But don't be surprised when you find out that there are so many strings attached, you'd be lucky to end up with a refund on their surge suppressor. Instead, focus on a few basic technical specs and you will save yourself a lot of up front money and, therefore, be able to buy more surge suppressors to protect more of your equipment. By the way, I do not work for nor have I ever worked for or been associated with APC, I've just worked with computers for my entire career :-)

First, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT BUYING A SIMPLE POWER STRIP WITH A CIRCUIT BREAKER !! Many manufacturers carefully word-craft their descriptions to make it appear that you are getting surge protection. In fact, you are getting nothing more than a very expensive extension cord with a cheap circuit breaker that won't protect anything other than starting a fire and that's not guaranteed either.

Three technical specifications to watch when buying a surge suppressor: joules, response time and UL certification. Joules isn't a rating on protection from a single surge, it is a rating on how many surges the suppressor can handle. It's sort of a life expectancy rating. The experts recommend looking for at least 600 Joules. This APC suppressor gives you almost double that amount at 1,080 Joules.

Response time is also important. This determines how long your equipment will be exposed to the surge before the suppressor kicks in and clamps the voltage down. For this APC suppressor, the response time is a very respectable 1 nanosecond. That's tech speak for 1 billionth of a second. Surges take a few thousands of a second to reach their peak, so this response time should be more than adequate.

The UL certification standard for surge suppressors is UL 1449. UL provides safety related certifications, not performance related certifications. A UL certification basically means that the surge suppressor itself and the equipment connected to it are extremely unlikely to blow up and start a fire when it's hit with a surge.

Ignore "clamping voltage". For technical reasons, you really want to watch the "Let-Through Voltage". UL certification does include the specification for Let-Through Voltage with levels of 300, 400 and 500. This APC unit has a UL certification with a maximum Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor (TVSS) Let-Through Voltage of 300 volts, which is the best rating that UL provides for surge suppressors. Other manufacturers often make a big deal out of clamping voltage but avoid mentioning that their UL Let-Through Voltage is 400 or 500 volts.

Finally, a huge feature in a surge suppressor is a "Fail Safe" function. When a surge suppressor reaches it's maximum Joules rating it quits providing surge suppression. The question is, how do you know that has happened? Most surge suppressors have an green idiot light (LED) that shows that the unit is still providing surge suppression. If you happen to notice that this LED has gone dark then you're in luck. Most people don't. A Fail Safe feature shuts the surge suppressor down so it no longer passes current through to your equipment. So, if your fail safe unit quits providing surge suppression, your equipment shuts down and you know the instant the surge suppressor has reached its life span. Very few manufacturers include a fail safe protection, so you continue merrily on your way until your $1,000 television or laptop suddenly melts down during a thunderstorm. APC provides fail safe protection on all of their surge suppressors including this unit.

Remember, these are surge suppressors NOT lighting arresting devices. A lightning strike on the power line feeding your home can literally blow wall sockets out of the wall. No surge suppressor is going protect you from all lightning strikes. For that kind of protection, you will need an electrician and some sophisticated protection installed at the point where your electric lines enter your home. That's an entirely different level of protection and, as you can imagine, far more expensive than a surge suppressor.

I own a half-dozen of these APC units and I live in Florida (lighting capital of America :-) For the price, I don't think you can beat this particular unit for everyday protection. These units have great quality and a very reasonable price which adds up to excellent value.
22 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2014
The thinnest multiple side plug-in surge protector I could find (measures about 1.5 inches off the wall). EMI/RFI noise filtering, 400V clamping voltage, Fail Safe Mode and a surge energy rating of 1080 Joules make the APC P6W a great value for basic surge protection.
review image review image review image
22 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2014
We selected this unit because of its simple neutral white color, and the fact that the plugs on the end face outward. Some wall surge protectors have the ground plug (the third round one) facing the wall, which makes the unit useless for any three prong power adapters. This unit is done right, looks clean, has easy to see lights that won't annoy you in a dark room, and is very easy to install. The included screw was long enough for all but one of our outlets, so we picked up a few longer machine screws at our local hardware store. After much research, we found these to be one of the top two or three best rated units out there. They are used in a lightning prone area, and since installing them, we have seen no damaged to our connected electronics.

KEEP IN MIND, that this unit has only ONE plug (on the back) that goes into the wall, and it goes into the top plug of the wall receptacle. Therefore, if you use this in a receptacle where the top plug is switched (meaning a receptacle connected to a light switch), that particular light switch will turn the entire surge protector on and off. Also, if your receptacle is upside down, then you will need to install this unit upside down as well, which is not as attractive as right side up.
on December 11, 2012
Works okay as a timer but the internal power backup doesn't work properly on mine. According to the documentation it's supposed to retain programming during a power outage but as soon as I unplug it from the wall the screen goes blank and the unit won't work until the reset is pushed. Made in China.

I've got four of the "power strip" versions of this device that work great.

***Update Jan 2013***
Normally I don't take the time and trouble to obtain warrantee service on a product in this price range, but since the package had an internet address I thought I'd give it a try. I sent an email to Snyder Electric, apparently the owner of APC, and their response was same day. They agreed to send a replacement timer with no hassle at all and it arrived in less than one week. The timer has worked fine for the last two weeks. So, for customer service the way it should be I am raising my rating to five stars. I will purchase APC again in the future too.
on September 22, 2012
I bought three of these originally to plug appliances into, because the outlets face the side and so it wouldn't force appliances like the fridge to stick out more than the depth of a typical transformer block. In the end, two of them ended up unneeded for appliances and are now just mounted on walls where we often need to plug-in electronics and computers. They've proven to be effective and convenient. Some transformer blocks may be too large to fit because of the proximity of the outlet to the wall, but so far everything we've tried to plug-in has fit. On the other hand, having the outlets on the sides means that there is a lot of space between the outlets themselves so that all six outlets are actually usable. Some alternatives put the outlets on the front face and end up having them too closely spaced, so that if you have a few transformer blocks plugged-in only 4-5 outlets are actually usable at a time.

Here are some of the technical specifications that I wanted to know about when looking into surge protectors:
- Surge Energy Rating: 1080 Joules
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtering (100kHz-10 MHz): 40 dB
- Surge Response Time: 1 ns
- UL 1449 (2nd edition) Clamping Voltage: 400V
- Input Voltage & Current: 120V / 15A
- Physical Dimensions: 4.0" x 1.5" x 5.5" (HxWxD)

According to the APC website, this surge protector has a fail safe mode and will stop transmitting power once its protective circuits have been used up through absorbing power spikes. Many, if not most, surge protectors will just continue to let power through unprotected.
88 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2013
I read all the comments before buying. I was concerned about the usability and was not sure if it will work. I ordered one first and tried it. It worked as the instruction said. I then bought two more.

The LCD screen is small and characters are difficult to read. But for $9.95, it's a good deal. I now replaced my old rotating timers with the three new ones.

Update (August 3, 2013): I bought three and used two of them so far. Both worked well. I no longer bother to turn on/off lights in two rooms. They are set to turn on late afternoon and off after midnight. The only problem: the clock of the device is fast on both. One of them is 15 minutes ahead now and the other is about 10 minutes ahead. This is after about 40 days.
on May 10, 2016
The product was broken when it arrived - the display and buttons did not function, and although lights lit up indicating the unit was connected to the outlet correctly, the outlets did not function.

Cons:
Device is designed specifically for outlets oriented "Happy Face" style, and is nearly impossible to use for an outlet installed with the ground on top.
Device was dead on arrival.
Device is designed to be held in place with a single screw in the middle. The screw can be removed for outlets without a center screw, but then it isn't properly secured to the wall

Pros:
Customer service was friendly and helpful, and they are shipping me a replacement unit.

I'll update my review if this product turns out to be awesome after the new unit arrives.
on January 3, 2016
Seems like it would work well, but requires an old-style wall plug with the screw in the middle between the two outlets. This was not clear from the packaging and the description. I uploaded two pictures to explain. It will work on the type of outlet with the screw between, like shown on the one with the painted background. It won't work on the other type.
review image review image
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2013
I have purchased 4 of these units to set timers for my TVs, game console, DVD/Blu-ray players, microwave, coffee pot...pretty much anything that has an power cord.

+ you have several settings options (7 days/wk, Mon-Fri, Sat-Sun, or individual days) which I really like. I set mine to go off when I leave for work, and to power up right before I walk in the door.
+ Override switch: if you need to turn it off/on for any reason outside of the programming, just hit the override button
+ Four outlets, plenty for everyday use

- several reviewers have talked about the small screen and the fact that is not backlit...this is absolutely true. you have to be right on top of the unit (and in my case with a flashlight) to set it properly. that seems like a big design oversight to me.
- I ordered 4, received 1 DOA (however, it was promptly replaced within a week)

+/- all 4 outlets are controlled by the timer, which i'm sure for some is a big inconvenience. However, I put them in places where I hardly ever plug/unplug new items (back of TV entertainment center, etc)

overall i think the pros outweigh the cons. I can't comment on all of the cons that some reviewers when through, simply because i didn't experience any severe issues. the one that was DOA was replaced quickly and i haven't had a problem since. it would have been 5 stars if not for the small, dim screen.
on January 7, 2017
If this is really up to the spec (1080 Joules), I'm satisfied with the functionality. The only complaint I have is the design of the outlets. This is slimmer than I thought. While the slim profile and side outlets design can make your wall look much cleaner, which was what I wanted, there is not much space between the wall and the plug holes making it impossible to connect some bulky plugs and almost all adapters. If you need to plug in at least one adapter, find a different design.