Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23,642 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 24,729 reviews
on January 12, 2013
Swapped out my Comcast rental modem, was up and running in just a few minutes, and now I don't have to pay the $7 modem rental fee to Comcast. I'm provisioned for the 105/20 Mbps package and typically get 120/20.5 Mbps.

This modem can utilize up to 8 channels of downstream for a theoretical max speed of 343 Mbps whereas the Motorola SB6121 and other earlier/cheaper DOCSIS 3 modems can only utilize 4 channels maxing your download speeds out at 172 Mbps. Just something to think about if you plan on using this modem for a few years as speeds offered will inevitably increase.

Also, it *does* support IPv6 even though Comcast's page doesn't list it as certified yet. Motorola's data sheet specifically lists the SB6141 as IPv6 ready and tests with an Apple AirPort Extreme (v7.6.4) and MacBook Pro running 10.9 confirm this.

Update 2/4/13: Still working great without issue.
Update 3/25/13: Still not even a single reboot required.
Update 8/28/13: Still working great...
Update 7/8/14: First issue... had an outage for 15 min. Reset the modem and it didn't resolve the issue. Called Comcast, they reset something on their end and I was up and running again. First issue since I bought it.
Update 4/5/2015: Comcast recently upgraded my speed tier and I'm consistently getting speeds up to 180/25 Mbps.
5150+ comments| 3,023 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2013
I purchased this SB6141 to replace my VERY old Linksys DOCSIS 1.0 modem. I recently upgraded to 75mb download from RCN (Chicago) and DOCSIS 1.0 was going to bottleneck my speed.

The modem (as are all modems) was extremely easy to install. Plug in, call ISP and you are good. The speeds are fantastically fast and this modem was well worth the price.

****I purchased this white SB6141 over the black SB6141 for one main reason. If you do your research you will notice that the Black SB6141 are only issued to ISP's from Motorola. Meaning, if you purchase a black model from Amazon (or any store), you are purchasing a used or refurbished product (they also ship in ordinary brown cardboard boxes). The only consumer model of the SB6141 is the white model which ships in traditional packaging. The white model is THE ONLY model that comes with a warranty from Motorola. I know this because I called Motorola twice and spoke to two (2) different reps who said the same thing; "Black boxes are for ISP's and do not have a warranty while the white boxes are for consumers and come with a warranty". Further complicating matters is that the black SB6141's usually have old firmware on them because they were generally made a few years ago. White SB6141 have newer or the newest firmware because they are shipping directly from the manufacturer. Your ISP may or may not flash customer owned modems to the newest firmware. If you purchase the Black model, you might be purchasing a 3 year old modem with no chance of upgrading it (also remember that you cannot flash your own modem's firmware).

Do yourself a favor and research this white consumer model over the black ISP model before you pull the trigger. I spent 20 bucks more for the white SB6141 so I could have peace of mind and I would strongly encourage you to do the same.*****

The only "con" I have about this modem is that the blue lights on the modem ARE BRIGHT AS @#%&$. Seriously, at night, my living room is glowing blue from the lights. I really cannot express enough how bright the lights are. You were warned.
3434 comments| 1,726 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
Out of nowhere, I was having excruciatingly slow internet speed on Comcast. The Comcast tech advised that my Motorola SB 4100 was at the "end of life" and that I should upgrade. Skeptical, I purchased this modem which is a DOCSIS 3.0 (and backwards compatible) modem. It worked. I went from a 2mbps download speed to over 17mbps. What a difference. There was one installation glitch that you need to be aware of. When you hook up the modem (connect the coax cable, connect the ethernet cable, and plug it in, that's it), and then try to get online, it will direct you to a Comcast self-activation screen (no other site is available). After entering my account number and phone number and hitting the "next" button, I got a blank screen, and nothing happens. So I called Comcast and they said that usually happens if you are doing an upgrade; it mostly works only for a new service connection. However, it is a simple matter to give the tech your MAC address and the serial number. After about 5 minutes, while he stayed on the line, it came alive, no problem. BUT, here's the thing: the serial number they need is the CUSTOMER serial number. This is only found on the bottom of the Motorola box the modem came in. This is different from the "S/N" serial number that is on the label that is on the instruction sheet and on the bottom of the modem itself. The customer S/N has letters in it; the regular S/N has only numbers in it and is too long. My first Comcast tech didn't know that and it took a day to sort it out. Other than that, it works well with my iMac and Apple Airport Extreme Base wireless router. Enjoy
5150+ comments| 3,069 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
Tired of paying my ISP to rent one of their modems.

Lots of research and this one just kept coming up on top for me; reliable manufacturer, good reviews by others, ease of setup, built for the future with 8-up 4-down bonding. Works just like promised with never a hitch. My only complaint is, as others have mentioned, the lights are irritatingly bright; this I solved by mounting under my desk where it is out of sight.

TIP 1: Make sure you purchase this "Retail Packaging - White". Don't try to save the few bucks buying the black version; all my research shows they are refurbished rentals from ISP providers and the common complaint is that they stop working about the time the warranty expires.
TIP 2: Make sure your ISP supports the firmware. My cable company does not specifically show this model but it supports the same model two generations back - close enough. All I did was a Google search " modems supported by mediacom des moines" (my ISP, my city). Take the time to do your research. I did and I'm VERY happy (except for the irritating lights).
TIP 3: One mis-notion: Just because this modem is "state-of-the-art" for home use, don't expect speed increases just by swapping modems. (Though my wife and I swear our pages load faster even though speed tests show the same up/down rates as before.) You have to up your internet package (dollars) to do this.

One month update - as pleased today as the day I set it up. Never a bump or a glitch.

Eight months and I'm as happy as the day I set it up!

A year and a half - I'm still as happy as the day I set it up!
1919 comments| 1,159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2012
I felt compelled to write this to help those who will encounter the problems I faced (and mentioned here). I'm one of the many people who wanted to avoid renting a modem from Comcast and bought this modem based on the stellar reviews, only to find that on the day of installation/activation that it "didn't work". Didn't work meant experiencing the same symptoms that's been mentioned here several times - "modem connects but then resets/power cycles/disconnects itself within a few minutes." This happened to me on the day I activated my Comcast internet. The technician spent 1.5 hours trying to figure it out and ended up loaning me a Comcast modem (Motorola SB5120 DOCSIS2), which came up almost instantly and activated just as fast (go figure). He suggested I return this modem as it was defective, in his opinion. I didn't like this since the probability of this was very small. But I saw what I saw and could not get past the first page of Comcast self activation screen with this modem. Before the web page for self activation could proceed, after typing my account info and phone number, the modem would conveniently lose connection. At one point I did get to the next screen where it was scanning for devices, but the modem cut out thereby hanging the process. The modem was packed up in the box for return to Amazon when I couldn't shake how much this bothered me and by my bad luck. So I came back here and read pretty much every review. What I found was there's several people who experienced the EXACT same symptoms while trying several of the same modem. There were two reviews that stood out. One was from a person who mentioned the Comcast technician moaned when he saw it was this modem, indicating that the technician was aware of difficulties using this modem. The person mentioned that after 70 minutes of trying to get the modem to connect the technician advised him to leave the modem powered on and hooked up for awhile and to try activating later. The person did this and was successful in activating the modem. The other review was from a person who was admirably persistent. His review talks of several attempts to connect and refusal to accept that the modem was defective. He ended up leaving the modem power on and connected overnight so the modem could "download firmware". The next day he was able to activate after two attempts with Comcast self activation process. Lastly, I noticed for me that if I left the modem power on and connected but make no attempt to activate it via Comcast web site, the modem retains connection (via indicator lights) for prolonged periods of time. It only seems to lose connection when I try to activate. Based on this I felt something was broken with Comcast activation process specifically for this modem or perhaps Comcast was intentionally making it difficult to activate this modem to convince customers to rent a "reliable" modem from them. To be honest, it almost worked for me. After sitting there watching the technician agonize trying to get the modem to work, I was tempted to rent the modem and move on with life. So as one last hail Mary attempt, this is what I did:
1. Took the modem back out of the box and left the Motorola SB6121 power on and connected to cable outlet overnight just to entertain the possibility that some firmware or info needed to be downloaded to the modem and that for some reason it took a long time to do so.
2. The next morning I tried Comcast's self activation process.
3. Every time Win7's network icon in the lower right corner of my screen indicated that a internet connection was established (vs. exclamation mark) I immediately opened a IE windows and started the activation process with my account and phone #. The modem still lost connection when I did this but I kept on trying.
4. It took me about 4 tries to SUCCEED. Each time I tried, I started back on the account and phone # page. But each time it got further and further in the activation process.

Attempt #1: Account/phone # screen -> Retrieving Device Information -> Modem lost connection.
Attempt #2: Account/phone # screen -> Retrieving Device Information -> List of devices detected (screen showed my MOTR SB6121 modem and a DTV box both shown as "inactive" -> Modem lost connection. (A thing to note here is that Comcast's activation system could specifically identify this modem. This meant it was in their system and their system was able to communicate with it)
Attempt #3: Account/phone # screen -> Retrieving Device Information -> Listing devices detected -> Clicked "Rescan" device (modem)-> Hit "Next" to activate then got to screen where it said "Activating Device - This may take 10 minutes" -> Modem lost connection
Attempt #4: This isn't a real attempt because all I did is leave the web browser in the previous "Activating Device" screen and waited for the modem to re-establish connection again. I stepped away for a few minutes and when I came back I got a screen that stated "Device Activate" (and some other instructions that didn't matter) Hallelujah! Also note, NO phone calls had to be made to Comcast to activate this modem.

At this point, this modem which was losing connection all the time before, now had a seemingly rock solid connection!!! I'm using the connection now with this modem as I type this. I've did some basic testing, streamed video, surf the net,etc. NO LOSS OF CONNECTION! I did a speed test and I'm getting 25Mbps down and 3.8Mbps up.

Based on my experience so far, it is in my opinion that this modem works and is as good as what the majority of the reviewers here have stated. The problem lies in Comcast's self activation process which is suspicious. What doesn't make sense to me is the fact that modem can hold a solid connection if you didn't attempt to activate and after it's successfully activated. It was only when I tried to go through the self activate process that I saw problems. I can't say much about whether step #1 helped but it can't hurt to try. I mentioned it only to inform people of what exactly I did.

I truly hope this helps people. Amazon is top notch. This modem is now doing what it's suppose to do with no issues. I'll come back and update this review in about a month to report if it still holds true. I think it will but we'll see. And lastly, thanks for the people who shared their experiences here. If it weren't for them I would have returned the modem back to Amazon and go through the hassle of finding another modem or giving in and renting one from Comcast. I'm trying to pay it forward with this review.
3838 comments| 2,525 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2012
... It seems that various ISPs are breaking FCC regulations and Federal Law by refusing to activate some newer modems, in an attempt to force users to use a "leased" modem.

There is an essentially IDENTICAL version of this device, the SB6141, which is the "ISP leased" version of this. You can't buy that, at least not "officially," mind you.

(EDIT - since I originally wrote this, it does seem that it's become possible to buy the "cable operator only" SB6141 directly...)

Time Warner Cable has just had me on the "loop" for the past two and a half hours, and I'm still on hold as I write this. They're telling me that the device isn't on the "approved list" and thus cannot be activated on their system. This, of course, is PATENT NONSENSE. All they require in order to access any device is (a) a device which speaks the same electronic "language" (in this case, DOCSIS 3.0, which TWC Austin supports fully, and brags about supporting fully), and (b) a valid, unique HFC MAC ID code.

The MAC ID is what allows the two devices (the ISP's "source" modem and your modem) to talk to each other, as the ISP needs to know that the ID it's talking to is an ID which it's supposed to talk to, and they need to speak the same language. THAT IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED ON ANY TECHNICAL BASIS WHATSOEVER.

It is a violation of Federal Law and FCC regulations for an ISP to refuse to service any device which has a valid, unique, and "not stolen" MAC ID and which uses an approved communications protocol.

Those of you who have been told "Comcast won't support this" or, as I just was, "Time Warner won't support this," please realize, YOU ARE BEING ROBBED, every bit as much as if they put a gun to your head and told you to hand over your wallet. It is a CRIME for them to do this.

I am currently on hold, with a "customer advocate" at Time Warner, attempting to get my personally-owned, legally-required-to-be-supported device added to my account.

******

Okay, after a long dialog where I quoted letter and verse of Federal law to the "advocate," I got them to add my modem to my account. And it's working flawlessly.

I would not ordinarily post things not SPECIFICALLY about the device on a review of the device, but in this case, I felt like it was necessary, as some folks may believe they've got a defective piece of hardware (based upon what the ISP tells them) when this is NOT the case.

My ping times have improved... which is somewhat surprising to me, honestly... from about 58ms to around 20ms. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it's a good indication that I have a better connection (lower ping times means less delay between when you send something at one end and when it's received at the other end, basically). My throughput is much more consistent and level, and I haven't seen any of the disconnection errors I've seen repeatedly with my older (DOCSIS 1.0) modem. It seems to be performing flawlessly.

If you have an internet service provider (ISP) who has support for DOCSIS 3.0 (the latest iteration of the modem-interaction-language standard), this is a great choice. Just be prepared to have to argue a bit with your ISP, who seem, in many cases, to be doing everything possible to get you to lease one from them instead of buying your own. Once they give in and agree to activate the MAC code on their system, this will work just fine on ANY current ISP, and will provide full DOCSIS 3.0 support on any DOCSIS 3.0-supporting network.

Don't let the script-reading "support" types tell you otherwise.
5150+ comments| 1,052 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2017
ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White

MOTOROLA WILL LIGHT UP YOUR NIGHT (LITERALLY)
I have had some bad luck with modems in the past. In the past two years, I’ve gone through four modems. I am happy to report that I’ve finally purchased a high quality and reliable modem. I waited a while to write this review because I wanted to make sure the SB6141 was a good product. I purchased this modem in 2015. It is 2017 now. I have not had a single problem with the modem. It is quiet and set up was a breeze. Apart from the bright LEDs, which tend to light up my bedroom, it’s a great modem. Other people have complained about the LEDs being too bright. I don’t mind it. I simply consider it my nightlight.

STATUS LIGHT CONFUSION
While we are on the subject of bright LEDs, here is my only issue with the status lights: they are incorrectly described in Motorola's manual. Now according to the instructions, here is what five LED status lights mean (starting from the top):

* POWER is GREEN: Indicates power to the modem is properly connected. (Icon looks like a computer power button.)

* RECEIVE DATA is GREEN: Indicates a downstream channel connection.
RECEIVE DATA is BLUE: Indicates a bonded downstream channel connection.

* SEND DATA is GREEN: Indicates an upstream channel connection.
SEND DATA is BLUE: Indicates a bonded upstream channel connection.

* INTERNET CONNECTIVITY is GREEN. (Icon looks like a globe.)

* ETHERNET PORT CONNECTIVITY is either AMBER or BLUE. (Icon looks like a brain wave.)
Amber indicates a computer is connected to Ethernet port and is operating in 10Base-T or fast Ethernet mode.
Blue indicates a computer is connected to Ethernet port and is operating in high speed Gigabit Ethernet 1000Base-T mode.

So here is the problem. Mind you, I can only speak for the white version of the SB6141:
My LED colors are a little different than what the manual describes.
My POWER LED (top icon) is white NOT GREEN.
My INTERNET CONNECTIVITY is white NOT GREEN.
The rest of my LEDs are blue.

I don't understand how the "downstream" and "upstream" channel connections work, and I will not pretend to understand it.
So the color of those icons will depend on your setup at home. This goes for the bottom icon. too.
(Please see my photos, which indicate the status light mixups. My captions are redundant, but I was quite annoyed at Motorola. Sorry about that. Also, taking photos in the dark is really hard. I did my best to produce sharp images for you guys!)

A parting thought to end this review: do you folks keep your modems on 24/7? I am asking because a good friend recently asked me if I keep my ARRIS SURFboard on 24/7. I was like, "Um, I never turn it off. Why? Is that bad?" I know that I sound like a dummy. Hey, I never pretended to be a techno geek. Anyway, according to my friend, it is not good to keep any modem plugged in continuously without a rest. That never occurred to me. Maybe that is why my previous modems never lasted too long. The point is, I have kept my ARRIS SURFboard turned on without a break for two years and it is still working great. No overheating or meltdowns to report. I just thought this information might be useful to someone. I will, however, give my hardworking modem a break whenever I can. Good luck and mahalo!
review image review image review image
on September 21, 2016
We were hanging on to our old modem and router setup for as long as we could, until we started to have repeated issues with frequent disconnects. We purchased a TP Link modem router, and had two duds, so I took my time to do some research, and came across this.

It has 2 gigabit ethernet ports, however with most devices using wifi to connect, this wasn't a problem as I only needed to hardwire the computer.

Speedtests are very consistent, and even at peak times, we are hitting 95 Mbps on a 100 Mbps plan with Cox Cable. Although we don't have anywhere near 300+ Mbps, we picked this up in the event we decided to upgrade to a new tier of internet. The wifi has great range, we live in a 2 1/2 story house, and have excellent coverage throughout the house. The unit sits on the main level on the north end of the house, and our FireTV stick and Xbox are on the opposite end of the house in the basement, and have yet to have any disconnects that used to plague us with our old set up.

Setup was easy. I had it plugged in, all cables connected and called Cox. They asked for model number and Mac Address (All located on the bottom of the unit or inside box), they reset the device remotely, and once it cycled on, we were connected and finished. Having just one device to deal with made the process quick and easy. Also to note, it was a much smaller unit than I expected, and doesn't take up too much space.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to upgrade to a Modem Router, it is worth it, I made the mistake of going with a cheaper TP Link, and it crashed and burned...twice. Spending a little bit more in this case makes the difference.
review image review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon August 18, 2015
I got full DL speeds (~17mbps) the first night of the install. Next morning, crawling at 1mbs down. Had to switch back to the old modem (SB5101U which is DOCSIS 2.0 and is working at 17mbps down). Issue in my case is my TWC provided cable signal strength is enough for DOCSIS 2.0 but not DOCSIS 3.0.

If you are thinking about getting SB6141 you need to check your signal strength in the UI for your current modem to save yourself some hassel. On many MOT modems you can use 192.168.100.1 to get to the console.

I talked directly to a very helpful person in MOTO/Arris support. This is what MOT/Arris tech said more or less.
- DOCSIS 3.0 modems typically need more signal power than DOCSIS 2.0.
- Downstream Signal to Noise ratio should be >= 33db (if anything is below 33db you are asking for issues)
- Downstream Power Level should be around 0 (anything in the minus range is going to be an issue, double digits minus then forget it)
- Upstream Power Level should be ~40dbmv or slightly below (higher would indicate the modem is trying to shout louder on a weak connection).

If you have any of these signal issues you probably need to request TWC to send a line tech to come out and get you back into range.
TWC can attempt to send a provisioning signal to help the modem, but this may not work

When I called TWC to switch back to the DOCSIS 2.0 modem they didn't ask me to check any signal strength. And they didn't put together the fact that DOCSIS 2.0 works and 3.0 does not.

SOLUTION: In my case it was old connectors, one at the street, and one in the garage, that was preventing me from getting adequate signal to use a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. TWC came out and replaced those connectors free of charge.
on April 5, 2017
OMG IT CANT GET ANY EAISER!!! I PUT GETTING ONE OF THESE DUE TO SOME NIGHTMARE REVIEWS IN GETTING THIS ACTIVATED. I AM 61, NOT OVERLY TECH SAVY AND SIMPLY TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX, PLUGGED IT IN PER INSTRUCTIONS, WAITED MAYBE 10 MINUTES WHILE THE XFINITY SITE JUMPED IN AND TOOK OVER UNTIL IT TOLD ME IT HAD BEEN ACTIVATED AND TO TRY OPENING MY BROWSER AND FIND A SITE TO TEST IT OUT ON........BOOM, I WAS ON THE CNN SITE FASTER THAN YOU CAN SAY SAVE $10 A MONTH!!! I HAVE XFINITY BLAST WHICH IS VERY FAST ANYWAY BUT THIS NEW MODEM FLIPPIN KICKS BUTT BIGTIME! i HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HAD INTERNET SPEEDS THIS FAST IN MY LIFE.

BUY THIS AND BE DONE SHOPPING

Update a week later, Cant tell you how happy I am with this