BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pick of the week $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging- White
Style: 8X4 Cable Modem|Size: Download Speed: 343 Mbps|Color: White|Change

on January 12, 2013
Swapped out my Comcast rental modem, was up and running in just a few minutes, and now I don't have to pay the $7 modem rental fee to Comcast. I'm provisioned for the 105/20 Mbps package and typically get 120/20.5 Mbps.

This modem can utilize up to 8 channels of downstream for a theoretical max speed of 343 Mbps whereas the Motorola SB6121 and other earlier/cheaper DOCSIS 3 modems can only utilize 4 channels maxing your download speeds out at 172 Mbps. Just something to think about if you plan on using this modem for a few years as speeds offered will inevitably increase.

Also, it *does* support IPv6 even though Comcast's page doesn't list it as certified yet. Motorola's data sheet specifically lists the SB6141 as IPv6 ready and tests with an Apple AirPort Extreme (v7.6.4) and MacBook Pro running 10.9 confirm this.

Update 2/4/13: Still working great without issue.
Update 3/25/13: Still not even a single reboot required.
Update 8/28/13: Still working great...
Update 7/8/14: First issue... had an outage for 15 min. Reset the modem and it didn't resolve the issue. Called Comcast, they reset something on their end and I was up and running again. First issue since I bought it.
Update 4/5/2015: Comcast recently upgraded my speed tier and I'm consistently getting speeds up to 180/25 Mbps.
5150+ comments| 3,082 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2013
I purchased this SB6141 to replace my VERY old Linksys DOCSIS 1.0 modem. I recently upgraded to 75mb download from RCN (Chicago) and DOCSIS 1.0 was going to bottleneck my speed.

The modem (as are all modems) was extremely easy to install. Plug in, call ISP and you are good. The speeds are fantastically fast and this modem was well worth the price.

****I purchased this white SB6141 over the black SB6141 for one main reason. If you do your research you will notice that the Black SB6141 are only issued to ISP's from Motorola. Meaning, if you purchase a black model from Amazon (or any store), you are purchasing a used or refurbished product (they also ship in ordinary brown cardboard boxes). The only consumer model of the SB6141 is the white model which ships in traditional packaging. The white model is THE ONLY model that comes with a warranty from Motorola. I know this because I called Motorola twice and spoke to two (2) different reps who said the same thing; "Black boxes are for ISP's and do not have a warranty while the white boxes are for consumers and come with a warranty". Further complicating matters is that the black SB6141's usually have old firmware on them because they were generally made a few years ago. White SB6141 have newer or the newest firmware because they are shipping directly from the manufacturer. Your ISP may or may not flash customer owned modems to the newest firmware. If you purchase the Black model, you might be purchasing a 3 year old modem with no chance of upgrading it (also remember that you cannot flash your own modem's firmware).

Do yourself a favor and research this white consumer model over the black ISP model before you pull the trigger. I spent 20 bucks more for the white SB6141 so I could have peace of mind and I would strongly encourage you to do the same.*****

The only "con" I have about this modem is that the blue lights on the modem ARE BRIGHT AS @#%&$. Seriously, at night, my living room is glowing blue from the lights. I really cannot express enough how bright the lights are. You were warned.
3434 comments| 1,749 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
Out of nowhere, I was having excruciatingly slow internet speed on Comcast. The Comcast tech advised that my Motorola SB 4100 was at the "end of life" and that I should upgrade. Skeptical, I purchased this modem which is a DOCSIS 3.0 (and backwards compatible) modem. It worked. I went from a 2mbps download speed to over 17mbps. What a difference. There was one installation glitch that you need to be aware of. When you hook up the modem (connect the coax cable, connect the ethernet cable, and plug it in, that's it), and then try to get online, it will direct you to a Comcast self-activation screen (no other site is available). After entering my account number and phone number and hitting the "next" button, I got a blank screen, and nothing happens. So I called Comcast and they said that usually happens if you are doing an upgrade; it mostly works only for a new service connection. However, it is a simple matter to give the tech your MAC address and the serial number. After about 5 minutes, while he stayed on the line, it came alive, no problem. BUT, here's the thing: the serial number they need is the CUSTOMER serial number. This is only found on the bottom of the Motorola box the modem came in. This is different from the "S/N" serial number that is on the label that is on the instruction sheet and on the bottom of the modem itself. The customer S/N has letters in it; the regular S/N has only numbers in it and is too long. My first Comcast tech didn't know that and it took a day to sort it out. Other than that, it works well with my iMac and Apple Airport Extreme Base wireless router. Enjoy
5150+ comments| 3,111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
Tired of paying my ISP to rent one of their modems.

Lots of research and this one just kept coming up on top for me; reliable manufacturer, good reviews by others, ease of setup, built for the future with 8-up 4-down bonding. Works just like promised with never a hitch. My only complaint is, as others have mentioned, the lights are irritatingly bright; this I solved by mounting under my desk where it is out of sight.

TIP 1: Make sure you purchase this "Retail Packaging - White". Don't try to save the few bucks buying the black version; all my research shows they are refurbished rentals from ISP providers and the common complaint is that they stop working about the time the warranty expires.
TIP 2: Make sure your ISP supports the firmware. My cable company does not specifically show this model but it supports the same model two generations back - close enough. All I did was a Google search " modems supported by mediacom des moines" (my ISP, my city). Take the time to do your research. I did and I'm VERY happy (except for the irritating lights).
TIP 3: One mis-notion: Just because this modem is "state-of-the-art" for home use, don't expect speed increases just by swapping modems. (Though my wife and I swear our pages load faster even though speed tests show the same up/down rates as before.) You have to up your internet package (dollars) to do this.

One month update - as pleased today as the day I set it up. Never a bump or a glitch.

Eight months and I'm as happy as the day I set it up!

A year and a half - I'm still as happy as the day I set it up!
1919 comments| 1,167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2012
I felt compelled to write this to help those who will encounter the problems I faced (and mentioned here). I'm one of the many people who wanted to avoid renting a modem from Comcast and bought this modem based on the stellar reviews, only to find that on the day of installation/activation that it "didn't work". Didn't work meant experiencing the same symptoms that's been mentioned here several times - "modem connects but then resets/power cycles/disconnects itself within a few minutes." This happened to me on the day I activated my Comcast internet. The technician spent 1.5 hours trying to figure it out and ended up loaning me a Comcast modem (Motorola SB5120 DOCSIS2), which came up almost instantly and activated just as fast (go figure). He suggested I return this modem as it was defective, in his opinion. I didn't like this since the probability of this was very small. But I saw what I saw and could not get past the first page of Comcast self activation screen with this modem. Before the web page for self activation could proceed, after typing my account info and phone number, the modem would conveniently lose connection. At one point I did get to the next screen where it was scanning for devices, but the modem cut out thereby hanging the process. The modem was packed up in the box for return to Amazon when I couldn't shake how much this bothered me and by my bad luck. So I came back here and read pretty much every review. What I found was there's several people who experienced the EXACT same symptoms while trying several of the same modem. There were two reviews that stood out. One was from a person who mentioned the Comcast technician moaned when he saw it was this modem, indicating that the technician was aware of difficulties using this modem. The person mentioned that after 70 minutes of trying to get the modem to connect the technician advised him to leave the modem powered on and hooked up for awhile and to try activating later. The person did this and was successful in activating the modem. The other review was from a person who was admirably persistent. His review talks of several attempts to connect and refusal to accept that the modem was defective. He ended up leaving the modem power on and connected overnight so the modem could "download firmware". The next day he was able to activate after two attempts with Comcast self activation process. Lastly, I noticed for me that if I left the modem power on and connected but make no attempt to activate it via Comcast web site, the modem retains connection (via indicator lights) for prolonged periods of time. It only seems to lose connection when I try to activate. Based on this I felt something was broken with Comcast activation process specifically for this modem or perhaps Comcast was intentionally making it difficult to activate this modem to convince customers to rent a "reliable" modem from them. To be honest, it almost worked for me. After sitting there watching the technician agonize trying to get the modem to work, I was tempted to rent the modem and move on with life. So as one last hail Mary attempt, this is what I did:
1. Took the modem back out of the box and left the Motorola SB6121 power on and connected to cable outlet overnight just to entertain the possibility that some firmware or info needed to be downloaded to the modem and that for some reason it took a long time to do so.
2. The next morning I tried Comcast's self activation process.
3. Every time Win7's network icon in the lower right corner of my screen indicated that a internet connection was established (vs. exclamation mark) I immediately opened a IE windows and started the activation process with my account and phone #. The modem still lost connection when I did this but I kept on trying.
4. It took me about 4 tries to SUCCEED. Each time I tried, I started back on the account and phone # page. But each time it got further and further in the activation process.

Attempt #1: Account/phone # screen -> Retrieving Device Information -> Modem lost connection.
Attempt #2: Account/phone # screen -> Retrieving Device Information -> List of devices detected (screen showed my MOTR SB6121 modem and a DTV box both shown as "inactive" -> Modem lost connection. (A thing to note here is that Comcast's activation system could specifically identify this modem. This meant it was in their system and their system was able to communicate with it)
Attempt #3: Account/phone # screen -> Retrieving Device Information -> Listing devices detected -> Clicked "Rescan" device (modem)-> Hit "Next" to activate then got to screen where it said "Activating Device - This may take 10 minutes" -> Modem lost connection
Attempt #4: This isn't a real attempt because all I did is leave the web browser in the previous "Activating Device" screen and waited for the modem to re-establish connection again. I stepped away for a few minutes and when I came back I got a screen that stated "Device Activate" (and some other instructions that didn't matter) Hallelujah! Also note, NO phone calls had to be made to Comcast to activate this modem.

At this point, this modem which was losing connection all the time before, now had a seemingly rock solid connection!!! I'm using the connection now with this modem as I type this. I've did some basic testing, streamed video, surf the net,etc. NO LOSS OF CONNECTION! I did a speed test and I'm getting 25Mbps down and 3.8Mbps up.

Based on my experience so far, it is in my opinion that this modem works and is as good as what the majority of the reviewers here have stated. The problem lies in Comcast's self activation process which is suspicious. What doesn't make sense to me is the fact that modem can hold a solid connection if you didn't attempt to activate and after it's successfully activated. It was only when I tried to go through the self activate process that I saw problems. I can't say much about whether step #1 helped but it can't hurt to try. I mentioned it only to inform people of what exactly I did.

I truly hope this helps people. Amazon is top notch. This modem is now doing what it's suppose to do with no issues. I'll come back and update this review in about a month to report if it still holds true. I think it will but we'll see. And lastly, thanks for the people who shared their experiences here. If it weren't for them I would have returned the modem back to Amazon and go through the hassle of finding another modem or giving in and renting one from Comcast. I'm trying to pay it forward with this review.
3838 comments| 2,542 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2012
... It seems that various ISPs are breaking FCC regulations and Federal Law by refusing to activate some newer modems, in an attempt to force users to use a "leased" modem.

There is an essentially IDENTICAL version of this device, the SB6141, which is the "ISP leased" version of this. You can't buy that, at least not "officially," mind you.

(EDIT - since I originally wrote this, it does seem that it's become possible to buy the "cable operator only" SB6141 directly...)

Time Warner Cable has just had me on the "loop" for the past two and a half hours, and I'm still on hold as I write this. They're telling me that the device isn't on the "approved list" and thus cannot be activated on their system. This, of course, is PATENT NONSENSE. All they require in order to access any device is (a) a device which speaks the same electronic "language" (in this case, DOCSIS 3.0, which TWC Austin supports fully, and brags about supporting fully), and (b) a valid, unique HFC MAC ID code.

The MAC ID is what allows the two devices (the ISP's "source" modem and your modem) to talk to each other, as the ISP needs to know that the ID it's talking to is an ID which it's supposed to talk to, and they need to speak the same language. THAT IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED ON ANY TECHNICAL BASIS WHATSOEVER.

It is a violation of Federal Law and FCC regulations for an ISP to refuse to service any device which has a valid, unique, and "not stolen" MAC ID and which uses an approved communications protocol.

Those of you who have been told "Comcast won't support this" or, as I just was, "Time Warner won't support this," please realize, YOU ARE BEING ROBBED, every bit as much as if they put a gun to your head and told you to hand over your wallet. It is a CRIME for them to do this.

I am currently on hold, with a "customer advocate" at Time Warner, attempting to get my personally-owned, legally-required-to-be-supported device added to my account.

******

Okay, after a long dialog where I quoted letter and verse of Federal law to the "advocate," I got them to add my modem to my account. And it's working flawlessly.

I would not ordinarily post things not SPECIFICALLY about the device on a review of the device, but in this case, I felt like it was necessary, as some folks may believe they've got a defective piece of hardware (based upon what the ISP tells them) when this is NOT the case.

My ping times have improved... which is somewhat surprising to me, honestly... from about 58ms to around 20ms. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it's a good indication that I have a better connection (lower ping times means less delay between when you send something at one end and when it's received at the other end, basically). My throughput is much more consistent and level, and I haven't seen any of the disconnection errors I've seen repeatedly with my older (DOCSIS 1.0) modem. It seems to be performing flawlessly.

If you have an internet service provider (ISP) who has support for DOCSIS 3.0 (the latest iteration of the modem-interaction-language standard), this is a great choice. Just be prepared to have to argue a bit with your ISP, who seem, in many cases, to be doing everything possible to get you to lease one from them instead of buying your own. Once they give in and agree to activate the MAC code on their system, this will work just fine on ANY current ISP, and will provide full DOCSIS 3.0 support on any DOCSIS 3.0-supporting network.

Don't let the script-reading "support" types tell you otherwise.
5150+ comments| 1,061 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2016
I purchased this modem yesterday to replace the one from my ISP. I'm no networking guru by any stretch of the imagination so the only really metric of success I can provide is a speed test.

With my ISP modem (an UBEE DDW3611) I was getting:
>Ping 20ms
>Down 36.17mbps
>UP 5.93mbps

After a somewhat annoying phone call to my ISP to activate the new modem, this is what I got from the ARRIS SB6141:
>Ping 20ms
>Down 72.44mbps
>Up 6.18mbps

Again, that being the only metric for success I know to apply to networking, seems it all worked out pretty good. I also saw a bit less lag when gaming, but that could simply be because the server wasn't as populated as normal.
review image review image
After I read that Time Warner Cable was going to raise their modem lease to $8/month, I looked into whether it's possible to buy and use your own. Sure enough, the SB6141 was one of the approved modems. Instead of paying $8/mo to lease their clunky, old modem, I went ahead and bought the SB6141 -- it pays for itself after less than a year. The saving I get from it is now used to subscribe to Netflix's $7.99/month plan. Check your cable bill -- I went as far back as 2008, and wow, I've been paying Time Warner for leasing their modem for the past 5 years! That's at least $300!

The SB6141 modem has worked reliably and rapidly in Orange County, CA, for both Time Warner Cable and Cox. Despite other reviews I have read, Time Warner actually did upgrade the firmware to the modem a few days after I installed it myself. I noticed the upgrade when I checked the logs. Nonetheless, Time Warner Cable in my area has had periods of slowdown (going from 15 Mbps down to 1 Mbps at times!), and it didn't matter if I rented one from them or used the SB6141.

The Web Interface/Logs can be accessed by going to [..] with your browser. In case Amazon edits the link, the URL is [...]

I have moved to a Cox area recently, and purchased a second SB6141 (I gave the 1st one to my brother) instead of leasing one from Cox. It worked right out of the box. Speeds have been usually consistent at 18-24 Mbps (I'm on the 18 Mbps plan), sometimes dropping to 5 Mbps. I haven't been using the Internet long enough yet to see how reliable the modem is with Cox, but from the logs, there haven't been any disconnects. I also have a very strong signal coming to my home, as verified with the Cox-employed cable installer.

[UPDATE 4/2/2014: I have been using this modem for the past 7 months with Cox Irvine, CA, and have been experiencing consistent, 32 Mbps speeds for the past 3 months in speed tests. Considering that I'm only paying for the 18 Mbps plan, getting 32 Mbps is wonderful. The modem has been working very well, and I am very happy with the purchase.]

Purchase this modem. Save yourself the cost of renting it from your cable provider. Check with your cable provider's website which modems are compatible before you do buy one.

Once you get the modem, write down the MAC address that's usually printed at the bottom or side of it. Call your cable provider's support line (in my case, Time Warner Cable), and tell them that you bought a modem. They'll need to update the MAC address associated with your account with the one you just wrote down. A few minutes later, it should work. Doesn't require a very tech-savvy person to get this going :) Time Warner Cable also requires you to return the leased modem to one of their TWC Stores (it can't be mailed in.)
on June 13, 2013
I decided to pick up this model after doing some reading and found out that this modem is capable of double the downstream channels compared to the SB6121. In addition, this was one of the modems recommended by COX Communications for some of their higher end internet packages. Suffice to say, they were phasing DOCSIS 2 modems; with one of them being my previous modem that was causing inconsistent service. This made it an easy choice to choose this modem as an upgrade for my home network. In so far, the has been performing admirably and provides consistent connection.

Anyway, the package includes the modem, a grey RJ45 CAT5e ethernet cable, the power adapter, and accompanying documentation. In addition, the set up was a no-brainer. Plug-in the corresponding cables, call your ISP, ask them to activate/bond your modem, provide necessary serial numbers/mac address, and you'll be good to go within thirty minutes or less. Can't ask for more than that.

I should also note that the status LEDs on this modem are very bright and also emit out from the vents that create a glow effect since the shell of the modem is white. It's kind of cool, but I can see the modem being a nuisance if you're sensitive to light and may happen to sleep in the same room as the modem.
on July 4, 2013
I have Time Warner Cable and recently upgraded from their Standard tier Internet service (15Mbps down/1Mbps up) to the Extreme tier (30Mbps down/5Mbps up) and was told I would need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to take advantage of those speeds. Installation was simple and required a 15 minute phone call to Time Warner tech support to provision the modem for use on their network. Once that was done I went to SpeedTest.net to run a speed test and was immediately getting the advertised speeds. The only thing I dislike about this modem - and that others have mentioned - is that the lights on this thing are BRIGHT. Fortunately this is in a room where we don't spend a lot of time, but if you will frequently be in a dark room with this thing then prepare to be blinded and annoyed.

One final thing I should mention that influenced my purchase decision... I initially purchased the 6121 model, but returned it for this one when I learned that the 6141 supports up to 8 bonded downstream channels and up to 4 bonded upstream channels. The 6121 only supports up to 4 downstream channels and 1 upstream channel. The number of channels available depends on what your ISP is offering in your market area, but for the negligible price difference between the 6121 and 6141 I decided to play it safe and be future-proof.

I'm sure there are others that can explain channel bonding better than I can, but from my understanding more bonded channels means less congestion (i.e. you won't be competing for bandwidth as much from your neighbors) and it enables the ISP to offer you even faster download/upload speeds in the future. From what I researched the 6121 has a theoretical download limit of 171.537 Mbps (4 channels) and upload limit of 42.884 Mbps (1 channel). The 6141 on the other hand has a theoretical download limit of over 300 Mbps (8 channels) and upload limit of over 100 Mbps (4 channels).