- Paperback: 744 pages
- Publisher: Sams Publishing; 1 edition (July 24, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0672329980
- ISBN-13: 978-0672329982
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 1.5 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.6 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 30 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,322,663 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
ASP.NET MVC Framework Unleashed 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
In this book, world-renowned ASP.NET expert and member of the Microsoft ASP.NET team Stephen Walther shows experienced developers how to use Microsoft's new ASP.NET MVC Framework to build web applications that are more powerful, flexible, testable, manageable, scalable, and extensible. Writing for professional programmers, Walther explains the crucial concepts that make the Model-View-Controller (MVC) development paradigm work so well and shows exactly how to apply them with the ASP.NET MVC Framework. From controllers and actions to views and models, Walther demonstrates how to apply each ASP.NET MVC Framework feature in real-world projects. In Part II, you'll walk step-by-step through building a full-fledged ASP.NET MVC blog application that implements capabilities ranging from data access to validation. Through this case study, you'll learn how to build ASP.NET MVC applications using test-driven development processes that enable rapid feedback, greater productivity, and better quality. Throughout, Walther presents extensive code examples, reflecting his unsurpassed experience as an ASP.NET instructor, a leading commercial developer, and now as a member of Microsoft's ASP.NET development team. Understand how to:
- Build enterprise-scale web applications far more rapidly and effectively
- Develop web applications that are easier to maintain and extend over time
- Gain unprecedented control over the appearance of your website or application
- Expose intuitive URLs that are friendlier to search engines and users alike
- Create ASP.NET MVC models that contain all your application's business, validation, and data access logic
- Make the most of HTML helpers, model binders, action filters, routing, and authentication
- Efficiently deploy your ASP.NET MVC applications
- Create ASP.NET MVC applications using unit test and mock object framework
About the Author
Stephen Walther has lived a year in Borneo, taught classes on metaphysics at Harvard and MIT, helped found two successful startups, and has run a training and consulting company. He currently is a Program Manager on the Microsoft ASP.NET team where he works on the Microsoft Ajax framework. He has spoken at numerous conferences including PDC, MIX, TechEd, ASP.NET Connections, and VSLive.
Top customer reviews
First of all, it is organized in such a way that you get the material in a logical flow that allows building upon the previous material effectively. Second, although I am a C# guy now, I spent many years in the VB world, and I appreciate that the author includes code listings in both languages. (Oddly enough I switched to C# originally because I wanted to use MVC and there were no good books with VB listings...)
Most important, after going through each concept thoroughly, the author concludes with building a working application using test-driven development and dependency injection. He doesn't go down the side path many other books do, where there is too much focus on the third-party testing and mocking tools and not enough on the core material. Instead there is just enough to let you do the examples using dependency injection and the native MS Test tool. The book is as much a good grounding in TDD and DI as it is in MVC.
I own pretty much every book on MVC since the pattern first became popular, and this is the best by far. If I had any complain it would be that the author uses the ASPX view engine rather than Razor, which I prefer.
Ever since I bought every ASP.NET Unleashed book by Stephen Walther (ASP.NET Unleashed 2.0, and 3.5). When I saw ASP.NET MVC framework Unleashed by Stephen on Amazon, I bought it. Even though there was no prospect in the foreseeable future of an MVC project at my work.
Well, I wasn't disappointed again, in fact it exceeded my expectations. MVC framework could be somewhat difficult concept to grasp for someone who's used to ASP.NET Web forms. But Stephen Walther makes it easy to understand. As in his other books he seems to be following the following writing style:
1. Here's a concept.
2. This why it's important and how it fits in bigger picture.
3. Here's how you use it:
- Code Snippet (most of his code snippets are very realistic examples, production ready code.)
4. Further explanation of the code example. Complete source code project is available from the publisher website or CD (when they used to include CDs in the books)
Either you just starting to learn MVC framework, or want to learn and understand more advanced topics: EF, jQuery, etc, this book is a must have!
Most recent customer reviews
this book by the same author.Read more