ASTRO Gaming A50 Wireless Dolby Gaming Headset - Black/Green - Xbox One and PC
- Pro Audio Quality
- Superior Fit & Finish
- Precision Microphone
- 5GHz Wireless Technology
- Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound
- All current ASTRO Gaming products designed for Xbox One will offer continuous compatibility on Xbox: Series X.
More to consider from our brands
More items to explore
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
Absolute Immersion. We've optimized the new A50 to make it the best fully wireless companion for your next-gen console. Broadcasting in interference-free wireless 5 GHz, you'll experience low latency gameplay in Dolby Headphone Surround Sound. With the ASTRO Command Center software, the A50 allows you to tune every input and output parameter including mic level adjustments and creating your own EQ modes. The new precision boom microphone is voice chat optimized for next-gen consoles and features flip-up mute functionality. The A50 headset is lightweight, easily adjustable, and Mod Kit ready, allowing you to transform your headset by swapping components like a synthetic leather headband and ear cushions for improved noise isolation. And when you're done, the new Base Station makes charging and pairing your headset simpler than ever. A50 Mod Kits are only compatible with the New/Gen 3
Battery Life - Up to 15 Hour
Microphone: 6.0mm uni-directional, voice isolating
Ear Coupling: Over-Ear Drivers: 40mm Neodymium
Magnet Wireless: Up to 30ft Standby
Battery Life: ~ 20 months
Wireless Frequency: 2.4GHz
Battery Type - Lithium Polymer, single cell
Transducer Principle: Open Air Frequency
Response: 20Hz - 20,000Hz
Characteristic SPL: 118dB @1kHz
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
- Audio Quality - Astro is well known for making some of the best sounding headsets out there. This one is no exception. The quality of the audio produced is unmatched on Xbox, and I'm hard pressed to find a better gaming specific headset on PC.
- Battery Life - I find that the 15 hour manufacturer estimation is fairly accurate. I play at higher volumes for long sessions with friends and it seemed to last most of the New Year's weekend before needing a charge.
- Build Quality - Seems solid, even though it's mostly plastic. Will update if something happens to it.
- Pairing with console - Super easy on this part. All I had to do was plug the optical and USB cables into the Xbox and it designated the headset to my profile automatically. After this I just had to go into Xbox audio settings and set it to output to the headset using Optical/Dolby and I was good to go on that front.
- Microphone Quality (This had me ready to return the thing before I had the fix) - It could best be described as mediocre. I previously owned a set of A40s for the Xbox One and they had a fantastic Mic. This set does not share that quality. The moment I got on Xbox party chat with some friends, they asked me if my mic was broken, not knowing I had purchased a brand new headset. After discovering that this has been an issue for multiple people, I contacted Astro support for a solution and they advised that I have the mic positioned ridiculously close to my mouth and have the sensitivity virtually maximized, alongside some rather specific settings in the "Astro Command Center" application on PC only (more on that in a minute). That fixed my issue for the most part, but my friends still indicated the Mic sounds worse than others, to include the one you can get from Microsoft for cheap but I could be easily understood. So if you depend on High Mic quality, skip this headset and go for the A40.
- Disconnections - The Headset has a habit of randomly destabilizing or losing connections at times. Not sure if that's because I'm in an apartment building, but I really wish there was an option to hardwire the headset to the console permanently so that I can play without the interference (the headset has a Micro USB input, not sure what it's for).
- Configuration - You HAVE to use the Astro Command Center application on PC/Mac to change the audio profile or mic profile on the headset. It works well enough and the headset doesn't have to be docked for it to work, but it's a pain to switch all the cables around from Xbox to PC just to change and test the configuration. As a suggestion to Astro - PLEASE make an Xbox application that would let people configure the headset there.
- Charging - Trying to put the headset on the charger is a pain. It's easy enough to ID which cup goes where due to the contacts, but trying to get them to actually make contact and SUSTAIN contact can be a pain, and it has resulted at least twice in me putting the headset on the charger after a session and it only charges for a few seconds without me knowing it stopped, resulting in a dead headset when I go to play later.
There is one problem with this headset....It likes to not charge from time to time (often). After hours of digging around on the internet I found the solution. When you dock it and get the blinking red lightning bolt....do this....
1. Undock turn on the headset. You should see the lights (battery and lightning bolt) on the base station on as well.
2. Hold the DOLBY® ON/OFF button and the GAME button (on the right side panel) until you see the lights on the base station fade away
3. Redock the headset and wait for the orange light to come on the headset and the charging lights to start on the base station.
Hopefully this helps someone out there.
It weren't the regular issues that everyone is complaining here about cutting off or being unstable, they just plain and simply didn't work. All I could hear out of the headphones is just noise, all the time except when they are charging on the base. The second I pulled them off and turned them on, it was just noise, so I can't really speak about the quality of them. This happened both in Xbox and PC, completely broken and unusable.
I went through the hoops of doing all the troubleshooting that Astro told me to do, plus trying all the tips and tricks that I could find in every youtube video, forums and blog posts to no avail.
This is I believe one of the most expensive headsets out there, for $300 I expect an excellent product that just works great every time, I can understand a defect every once in a while, and when that happens I expect excellent customer service to take care of the issue at this price point. Instead I got a canned email with troubleshooting steps, and after I told them that didn't work they sent another email with the instructions on how to return the thing, I have to print a label, get my own box, package them, write a number on the box and then go to UPS to ship it, and only when they receive it and check that everything is there, only then they will send me a replacement..... This is terrible quality, and even worse customer service for such an expensive product. All of this should be done by them or at least make the process as easy as it can be for the customer, as opposed to making me take hours out of my day to deal with something that is not my problem, it's their problem.
I should've read the reviews in here before I bought this, I actually hope to get another defective pair so I can just get a refund and buy the turtle beach ones that everyone says work great, at a much reasonable price.
They also managed to screw up my replacement pair, they shipped it to the wrong state, when I saw this by tracking the package I let them know that the state was wrong, and in a very unapalogetic manner they replied to me in an email with the correct address asking me "is this the address you provided? Because that what I typed in." I reply "yes that is in fact the correct address however if you take a look at the information on the tracking number in the UPS website it clearly states that it's going to Maine as opposed to Idaho". I don't hear anything back from them in a couple of days. Then I write again to check is the issue was fixed, and they reply "another order was generated, please reach out to us for the new tracking information on Tuesday". OMG, not only I'd have never known that if I don't write them, but also I need to once again ask them for the tracking info, when that should be provided automatically as soon as it available. I keep thinking they can't get any worse, but yet they manage to do it. I'm already getting mentally ready to deal with the fact that the replacement headset is not going to work either.... I wouldn't be surprised.
Top international reviews
Amazing product 100% recommend.
The mic is good; nice and clear. The feedback from friends in party.
I often wear glasses when I game, and the A50s' are very comfortable with or without the glasses on.
The controls and dials are simple, but that's all they need to be. They haven't been made over complex. And I like the fact that all you need to mute the headset it lift the microphone up.
The only issue I have with this headset is the docking station. To put it simply, it is a bloody nightmare some times to get the headset to charge. But this is a small frustration and would not stop me buying another pair or recommending this. But Astro... seriously look into a redesign of your docking interface.
NOTE: I use this headset on my PC not console so i am not aware of the quality on console but it works perfectly on PC, just plug and play :)
The headset is usually 300 GBP on the Astro website but i purchased this from LimeXB on Amazon for 200 GBP which in my opinion is a steal, the reason it was so cheap was because it was a Grade A Factory Refurbished version. I would HIGHLY recommend this to people that want to save some money at no extra loss. The headset is just as good quality as a brand new version and for £100 CHEAPER!!! It's a no brainer in my eyes. The description states that there may be some cosmetic wear but in fully working condition and comes with a 12 Month Warranty, in my case the headset looked brand new and functions absolutely perfectly.
Hope this review helped, if you have any questions ill happily answer. Happy Purchasing :)
It is fantastic that a chat cable is not needed.
I also had some issues placing the headset on the base station, but that was not really an issue. I think if the chat sounds had not cut out I and the mic was better sounding I would have given this a more thorough testing. I also had problems hearing myself so there appears to be an issue with the sidetone/mic monitoring.
This headset has been returned.
Beh ho scelto bene: io nell’ordine ho avuto top di gamma Steelseries e turtle beach, ognuna aveva dei pro e dei contro (molti pro per le Steelseries, molti contro per le turtle) ma nessuna di queste è paragonabile alla QUALITÀ AUDIO E COMFORT di queste Astro A50. Sono rimasto davvero stupito... equalizzazione e gamma dinamica sono fantastiche, la resa del surround 7.1 è eccezionale! Finalmente una cuffia che da una spazialità ai suoni senza farti avere la senzazione di essere in un tunnel. Inoltre aggiungo che la qualità della mia voce in chat è eccellente (me lo confermano i miei amici in chat) ed inoltre ho smesso di “urlare”, si ha un equilibratissimo ritorno della propria voce in cuffia che da la sensazione di non averle neanche addosso. In ultima analisi il microfono ha un “taglio” dei rumori di sottofondo pazzesco: con l’aspirapolvere acceso a 10 mt. Da me i miei amici non sentivano nulla! Prima praticamente sentivano anche il gatto che starnutiva. Le uniche note negative, a mio parere, sono date dalla costruzione dei vari pulsanti sulle cuffie (volume, preset, dolby) che a mio parere sembrano un po’ “leggerini”, potevano fare meglio. Apparte questo...
Superb headset to begin with, however battery life quickly deteriates and you find yourself charging more and more often, this in turn puts wear on the charging base itself. This means that instead of seating the headset on the base like to begin with and they start charging you now have to fiddle around and make sure they're sat right so they charge, takes away the whole ease of use mentality of this product.
I would say avoid this headset and go with the Steel Series Arctis Pro which is what I have switched to. They are a far superior headset and in my opinion have a much better battery system, alongside this the comfort and sound quality of the Arctis Pros is unparalleled for a USB gaming headset
Absolutely superb, after around 3/4 weeks of use these are far superior than the A50 with mixamp I upgraded from, the volume can be turned up a lot louder, the audio profiles are easily distinguishanle from each other and the mic quality is perfect!
The reason I upgraded from my previous sat was to eliminate wires, A) when charging
B) when actually playing!
and this headset does it was extremely well, the docking station makes it nice and easy to charge the large long battery life and allows for now wires from headset to controller when playing!
One word of advice - avoid the optional mod kit - it takes a fantastic, comfortable, headset and turns it into a vice of torture that induces headaches ofter about 10 minutes.
PD: Hay que descargar el software de astro al pc para actualizarlos la primera vez que los conectas y para por ejemplo ecualizar el aufio del micro dentro de las muchas opciones que hay.
I had a pair of the generation 2 A50s but they don't even come close to how much better these are. Theres no cable to the controller at all, so the "wireless" is actually true wireless this time unlike the previous model. The mic quality is what you would actually expect from a £250+ headset, my generation 2s had an awful mic for the price. The battery life is decent, not perfect and the charge time leaves a lot to be desired, but the ability to just plonk the headset onto the dock and that it charges without you needing to plug it in is such a nice quality of life improvement I don't even mind that it's a bit finicky sometimes.
Sound quality is fantastic, no noticeable difference from the previous generation but it was stellar already so that isn't a complaint. Comfort levels are also just as good, with now changeable ear cups and headband if you like, an excellent touch!
Overall the product does everything it claims to do, my only gripe is that the first set turned up broken and I had to wait a couple of days for a new one, and I wouldn't classify that as Amazon's fault.
If you have the cash and you absolutely must buy the best headset you can find, this is the best one I've had so far, bar none.