Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9 reviews
on April 15, 2012
The first problem I noticed with this unit is you can't upgrade the memory. Amazon gave me a 25% discount (I could have returned the unit).

The next problem is a little more serious if you are expecting 10 hrs battery life, as Asus claims.

Initially I didn't see to be getting anything close to the 10 hrs so I sent the battery back to Asus, thinking I'd got a bad one. When I got the new one back things did not seem to have improved.

So I did a test: With the display turned to minimum and the wi-fi turned on, I edited a document in Word. Some of the time I just left the machine alone. I got less than 5 hrs before the machine shut down.

When I contacted Asus they said this was 'normal'. I wrote back suggesting that this was anything but. They have not replied.
on July 10, 2012
I'm going to start with the Cons, because I like a happy ending...

Cons: The 1011PX ships with Windows 7 Starter and 1Gb of RAM. So the natural thought is "I'll buy a second stick of RAM and up it to 2Gb running in Dual Channel Mode." WRONG! ASUS has created a Quad-Core mini-laptop with 1Gb hardwired to the motherboard and NO EXPANSION SLOT. There is a door for it, but when you open it up, there is no slot to put your second RAM into. This is an unspeakable offense in the world of laptoppery. Windows 7 needs 2Gb minimum to run smoothly, everyone knows this, but in their efforts to extend the battery life to ten hours, ASUS decided to reduce the power needs of the memory PERMANENTLY. There was some chatter about Microsoft only allowing Win7 Starter to ship on 1Gb units but that's BS. I sent a raving email off to ASUS suggesting that the Design people immediately do the right thing and commit group suicide... Then I got to thinking...

WHY is 2Gb so important? Well, because of the amount of paging the Operating System does, and a standard rotational drive simply cannot provide the throughput to keep up with demand. Even a 15K Raptor couldn't give you enough speed to compensate for the lack of ready memory, not to mention the power consumption and heat... but a Solid State Drive can. Of course, this unit ships with an oversized Western Digital disk to distract from the fact that you can't play an HD video without stutter due to the paging load; you can store a hundred of them, but you can't watch them.

Pro's: This unit is literally held together by plastic snaps around the edge. Undo the four screws under the battery and you can just yank the keyboard right off (being careful of the connectors of course). Then unscrew the touchpad plate (end of warranty) and there it is. The drive is a standard 2.5" so it is REAL easy to pull out the rotational disk and slap a lil SSD right in there. Now the paging delay goes away because an SSD is driven by the CPU and is almost as fast as RAM anyway! So I am writing this review on a 1011PX with no warranty but using a Vertex II 64Gb SSD, making good use of the Quad-Core and acting like a very snappy little laptop indeed. Battery time has been dropped to about eight hours because of the increased CPU load, and so what?

These units are getting returned by disgruntled buyers by the thousands, so there was never a better time to pick up a cheap, barely touched mini and make it sing. ASUS dropped the ball on this design, but left a window just big enough for a competent tech to pick it up and go yard for a huge win.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the extra RAM stick I bought. I might just mail it to the ASUS design team :)
on July 5, 2012
What a such bad experience has been buying this item of this brand. I am very discouraged. the signal does not reach more than 5 steps of the router and it is not the router because I have other laptops at home and work very well. I contact the supplier and I was told no service coverage in Venezuela. The question is what service for if the laptop is new? I do not recommend this product.
on April 17, 2012
I took the computer out of the box, turned it on and immediately showed an error. Called Asus customer support and it was so bad that even the representative said to return it as there was no way they could help me get it fixed. I'm returning back the computer tomorrow and requesting the refund.
on January 3, 2014
Frustrating product , the keyboard never typed properly! - eventually I just gave up & chucked it in the garbage ;-(
on March 26, 2012
ASUS REALLLLY missed the mark on this model. Died 4 days out of return window... 1Gb of memory...NOT UPGRADABLE.... So you can't even load Windows 7 on it. Poor Unit compared to my other ASUS systems (3).

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.