Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS A54C-AB31 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM

on November 28, 2012
Edit- Amazon now has the laptop $100 more than I paid for it. Take that into consideration when reading the review.

I bought this for a present for a family member on the Black Friday deal, so my time using it only included starting it up, updating windows, removing Mcafee, installing adobe flash, reader, and Java, installing Libreoffice, and making the restore disks.

Unfortunately battery life will not be included in this review.

First impressions - WOW! taking it out of the box I was very impressed with the look, feel, and weight. It's very light compared to my Toshiba and HP I3 laptops.

texture- the entire laptop as with most Asus laptops have what appears to be a semi-rough texture on the palm areas and mouse pad. This texture kept my family from buying these laptops and I have to say that's very unfortunate, because after spending 5 hours setting the computer up I realized one thing.. I love the texture! It's so much more comfortable than it appears.

Screen - I didn't get to play games or watch movies, but what I did get to see is the viewing angle of the screen is pretty much unlimited. Unlike my Toshiba I3 LCD laptop that you have to constantly adjust the screen so you are square to it or you can't see, the viewing angle of this Asus LED is very wide and actually better than my HP LED I3 laptop that cost twice as much.

RUNS COOL! - I can't overstate this enough. Place my other two I3 laptops on the bed and within 20 minutes the Toshiba will be very warm and the HP will actually overheat with both units fans running at full speed like an airplane. I ran the Asus on the bed for 3 hours during my installation and the unit never got even close to luke warm. I'm not sure what in the design makes this happen, but my in person response was "Holy @#%!, I've never seen a laptop run this cool" and the fan was whisper quiet!! I may have just become an Asus laptop fan!

Some people may gripe about the 4 gb ram or the 320 gb hard drive - in response to this I have two I3 laptops one running 8 gb ram and the other running 4gb and neither have ever ever hit the ceiling. Usually the computers tend to run around 3.2 gb RAM use when multi tasking. Even with tons of movies and literally 100's of excel, word, and publisher documents on all my laptops none of them would need a hard drive greater than 320 gb. We have networked terabyte hard drives in our house and everything is backed up to there anyway. I just don't see a need for laptops sporting 500 gb or higher hard drives unless you like to travel with 50 or 60 full length uncompressed DVD movies. If you burn movies in blue ray quality however the 320 gb may be too small for your liking.

Pros:
I3 clocked at 2.1 ghz (pay attention to the clock speed some are clocked as low as 1.5 ghz with many in this category clocking in at 2.5ghz, 2.1 is respectable)
RUNS COOL
lightweight
screen angle widest and crispest I've seen on a laptop period
the tactile feel of the palm rest and mouse pad have to be experienced
key stroke response is very crisp
keyboard layout not cramped and very comfortable
USB 3.0 and HDMI

Cons (or what I didn't like)
My biggest gripe is the power input. it's mid chassis just outside the caps lock key. Most laptops have the power input on the side of the chassis as well but all the way to the back. This input location may really annoy people using their laptop while plugged in.
The DVD drive is a little on the loud side and appears slow. Burning the 4 restore disk on Sony DVD +r took 56 minutes.
no onboard graphics card

Overall: I really didn't want to give this laptop up after using it. Without more time on it, it's hard to say for sure, but what time I did have I liked it better than my Toshiba I3 and light years ahead of my HP I3. Amazon's standard price of $389 makes this laptop an easy recommend and if you can get it on sale it's an absolute must buy. Its performance vs price earns it an easy 5 stars. Well done Asus!
on November 29, 2012
Bought this during the black friday sale for my dad for Christmas. The laptop has a cheap plastic feel with textures to make it feel, well, less cheap. But I didn't buy it for the exterior, I bought it for the price/performance. I did remove some bloat ware that would potentially slow it down like the McAfee trial and some other stuff I know my dad nor I will ever need and installed MS Security essentials. It handles all the windows update fine, usually I'd get hiccups with some updates but not this time. I installed photoshop and illustrator and it runs well. The battery life is what you would expect about 4 hours of intensive usage. I know my dad is gonna love this when he gets it.
on December 4, 2012
This is a basic laptop for a person who does basic things. In that regard, this laptop is GREAT. I had friends telling me to buy a MAC just because it's popular and because I can afford one, but all I do is download music, browse the web, watch videos, and write countless college papers-- all very simple things. So I didn't need a pricey, over-the-top laptop; just something basic but of good quality and at a decent price. So a couple of people recommended an Asus. Not very familiar with Asus, I had to do a little research on it first. Then, I spotted this on Amazon one day. I've had it for a few days and I am quite pleased. I am not tech-savvy AT ALL, but the setup and everything was very easy and it runs quite smoothly (at least so far it does). My only aggravation with it is very slight-- the keyboard is wider than what I am used to with my old Dell. The keys are wide and flat and my fingers can't grip them, so my typing is sometimes very off unless I am looking down. But this is just an adjustment issue; I'm gradually getting used to it and I'm looking down less and less as I type more and more. Also, it is true that the volume doesn't get too loud but that's really not a big deal to me. I like how smoothly this laptop operates, its light weight (compared to my old Dell), and its simplicity-- all at a great price!
on February 8, 2013
Bought this for my Nana for Christmas when it was time to get rid of the old one (and it was definitely time). The fact that it was still available with Windows 7 was perfect as this made it an easy transition for an 80 yr old woman used to using XP. The full keyboard is a nice feature and she seems to like it for using Facebook, storing pictures, and managing her real estate career. Quite good for the basic computer user.
on December 24, 2012
I bought this as a replacement for my Wife's dead Dell - NEVER WILL I BUY DELL AGAIN!!!

I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2nd RAM slot empty in the easy access panel underneath the unit. I filled it with more memory I had kicking around and it's not a 6GB machine. Nice!

I have been impressed with the simply, solid function too.

The one unimpressive thing is the partition on the hard drive. I don't know why ASUS insists on doing this but the 50% of the hard drive dedicated to "Data" and then NOT redirecting the Library folders to the data drive... it's just not good. I used a partition manager to resize C: and eliminate the useless D:
on January 6, 2013
I bought this for my girlfriend who only uses a computer for docs, photo downloads from her camera, scanning and email. This was a perfect computer for her and very easy to set up. When it arrived, and I used the express two day mail since the first computer was stolen, I assume at the post office since it was tracked there and never left. I think Amazon should pack these in brown paper with no indication that it is a laptop. Anyway, this one came in quickly after I waited 10 days for the other one to show up, but it never did.

So when this arrived, I just had to plug it into the wall and turn it on.

Some points:

1. You need 6 CD's to back up the computer so have them ready when it arrives.
2. You have McAfee installed and good for 10 days. I just bought McAfee for two years, no problems. You need to find the hidden McAfee icon on the bottom task bar to activate it though, a little white arrow pointing up to the right. No issue there.
3. I also downloaded Malwarebytes, free edition.
4. Needed to buy Microsoft Office Students and install that.
5. Adobe is already installed.
6. I bought two USB hubs for around 15 dollars each and plugged them in. Worked fine. There are only 2 USB ports and I wanted to have the scanner and printer on one hub and I use an external keyboard and mouse so plugged them into the other. No issues.
7. You have the normal registration window to fill out of course.

Hope this helps.
on December 19, 2012
We purchased this laptop on 11/26/12 and began using it on 11/29. We've been using it for about three weeks.

This laptop has SO MUCH LESS "bloatware" on it than Toshibas and Dells I've purchased in the past. The last laptop I bought was a custom because I was so sick of bloatware on the major brands I'd had previously. But the custom unit was expensive. If I'm in the market for another PC in the future, I'll consider getting another ASUS because they really limited the number of preloaded programs. It didn't take me very long at all to uninstall the few things I didn't want. (For instance, I don't use McAfee; I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials program, and have for the last few years.)

We are using the computer primarily for homeschooling. My kids do online educational games and activities on it. I've only loaded one major program on it--Rosetta Stone, a language software. The computer is working quickly and seems ideal for us.

Now, I don't plan to load heavy-duty photo editing software on this, or any other memory-hogging programs. If I wanted to do that, I'd spend a little more and get a higher-end computer with more RAM. But that's not the purpose of this laptop. For general, everyday web browsing, etc., it does a fantastic job.

I love Windows 7. Love it. At this point, for a non-touchscreen computer, I prefer to keep Windows 7 instead of getting a computer with Windows 8. I've used Windows 7 for almost three years, and find it to be a stable, reliable operating system. In fact, Windows 7 has made it possible for me to continue to be a PC user instead of switching to Mac. I love Macs but don't love their price tags. I used to get SO frustrated with my Vista computer, but Windows 7 just WORKS.

It's shut down on me unexpectedly once, which always makes me a little nervous. I hope that was a fluke.
on December 15, 2012
Updated(after 2 months of use)

I bought this laptop on black Friday (about $100 discount) to my brother who wants to use it for word processing, internet browsing, watching videos and playing games. I have used it for the last three weeks. Surprisingly, I found this laptop to be much better than my Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4828 which I bought for $700 about four years ago. So I decided to use this for myself and give my old one to my bro. I am planning to use it for basic applications (internet, video, games...) and also to run simulations in Matlab which needs a fast processor.

Pros.
-I3 2.1GHZ processor which is very adequate for most applications that I am planning to use it for
-Runs very cool
-Number keys pad included in the key board
-HDMI and USB 3.0 outputs
-Light weight for a 15.6 inch laptop
-Inexpensive

Cons.
-The quality of the speaker is average. Slightly Lower than my Toshiba laptop (Dolby sound room).
-Power input location is on the side. I would prefer it on the back side.

Other info
I got about 2hrs battery life on high-performance. So I would say about 3 - 3.5 hrs if it is used on power saver mode. I am not really concerned about battery life either because battery performance usually decreases fast upon use.

In summary, I am very satisfied with this laptop.
on May 31, 2015
For an inexpensive laptop this has served my daughter well. Everything still works, without a lot of problems. Lots of junk software comes installed, I always immediately wipe and only install what i want.
on February 6, 2013
I am very pleased with this Laptop. It is used for financial applications, primarily, so can't really comment on the speed vis-a-vis gaming, etc. The set up was quite straightforward - had no difficulties at all.