Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 2, 2014
Don't listen to all the negative comments unless the computer was a lemon. Someone even had the audacity to say the are going to return their's and buy a mac. If you have money to buy a mac, why would you consider this computer anyway. By the way, I have 3 Mac computers and needed extra computers for my kids to surf, play simple flash online games, do homework, etc. and this is an excellent buy!

I also build computers and you can barely build a desktop computer (including case w/ power supply, HD, MoBo, Ram, DVD and with monitor) in this price range. Yes, the keyboard doesn't have the feel or power of my MacBook Pro, but I spent $1,800 for my mac. So is a fair comparison? No, because they are two different machines with different purposes. However, it is durable and if you have concerns, do what I did. I bought an inexpensive usb keyboard and mouse and let my kids use that without touching the actual laptop keyboard to preserve it.

I bought two and the are serving me and my family well and remember, ASUS is one of the top motherboard manufacturers in the world and I trust them. Also, it has 4 gigs of ram, a 500 GB HD, DVD burner, camera, Intel Dual core processor (and I know it isn't a i3, i5 or i7) and it is 15.4. screen...It's a steal and I don't know how they are making money.

Now, if you are a serious online gamer, do video rendering, audio recording/mixing, etc., then you will bring it to it's knees. But that's why I have my Mac Book Pro which has the i7 processor with hyper-threading which doubles my cores to 8, with 8 gigs of ram and no matter what I throw at it, it handles it with no problem.

Nevertheless, if you are considering a good computer for yourself, kids, significant other, etc.; and they just need to surf, do homework or use Microsoft office, then this is an EXCELLENT buy. I highly recommend this computer!!!!!
77 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2014
First of all, the touchpad and mouse buttons on the laptop itself are basically unusable. The click doesn't respond every time, many times trying to left click will act as a right click, and the touchpad is just not as responsive as it should be. Maybe this is just my particular unit...but it's very frustrating.

Second, but most importantly, how do you get this thing to boot from a bootable CD/DVD or bootable USB Flash Drive, or from any device other than the Hard Drive that it comes with? I have a pretty good background with computers but I have steered clear of Windows 8 because I am very much against Windows having any drastic changes, as it's been very similar with each version since Windows 95. I got this system thinking that I'd be able to format the drive as with any previous computer I've gotten, and install Windows 7 using my Windows 7 DVD. I've researched and found this whole thing about UEFI booting through the BIOS, and many forums say that all you need to do is change it to the "legacy" setting and switch a few other options, but the problem is the BIOS on this machine does not have a "legacy" option. It is very hard for me to believe that newer and more modern technology would go in the direction of making it impossible to boot off of a CD/DVD or some other type of bootable media. Does anyone have any answers as to how to make this laptop able to boot off of something else rather than Windows 8 on the Hard Drive that it comes with? It doesn't make much sense to me. Technicians and anyone that may have to do diagnostic work or fixing of the hard drive if it becomes corrupt or not bootable anymore cannot even do so with this being the case. There has to be a way, I am just unable to find out what it is. Please help if you know the answer. Thanks!
66 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 9, 2015
Very good computer. Great price.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 8, 2014
I received this product, and I was so excited to use it. I read other reviews that suggested immediately upgrading to windows 8.1, so I attempted to do so immediately. In order to do that, I had to install windows 8 updates. There were 99 of them. At first they wouldn't download. I finally got them downloaded, then they wouldn't install. I started over and downloaded and installed them successfully, then when my computer restarted, they began to finalize. After 1 1/2 hours, it said they couldn't be finalized and it reversed the entire process. After about 8 hours of work, I was back to square one.

I solved the problem by doing this. When you get to the update page, check for updates and then click the link below for a list of specific updates. I first chose the 2012 updates, and went through the process and was successful. Then I did the Jan/Feb 2013 updates and was successful (this took about an hour in total). Then I installed the remainder of the updates. Overall, that took about 2 hours. THEN I installed windows 8.1

I bought this computer for $268, so it was a good deal. It is not slow like some people said. I have not tried to watch a movie on Netflix on it, but for online video it is fine. I love the keyboard because it is set inside the unit (stays cleaner). The screen resolution is beautiful. It is super light as well.

I would definitely recommend this, but beware that there are a lot of updates that need to be done. I plan of filing a formal complaint with Amazon and Asus. I was sold a Windows 8 computer. I got the 2012 version of Windows 8 which is unacceptable to me. However, for the price, it was worth it.
on March 24, 2014
My Acer laptop died from a graphics processor meltdown (2.4 ghz quad core processor, 8gb ram, and I believe integrated intel graphics) and being an in engineer in college I needed something in a hurry to replace it with but I didn't have the spare money to buy something fast and fancy (again I'm in college...) So I found this, it was pretty cheap and I saw that it said it's memory was expandable to 8gb ram. I figured, dual core computer, up to 8 gb of ram, hopefully decent graphics, good enough for me. For now it certainly is good enough. I misinterpreted the expandable ram to think that it had 2 bays. It does not, it only has one bay for memory, and it comes with a 4gb stick installed and all I had were 4 gb sticks, I swapped out to a slightly better one and got a bit of improvement.

*Runs surprisingly cool and quietly. Granted it's a new laptop, but I can't remember hearing the fan at all, even when playing graphics and processor heavy games (Well heavy for what this computer is packing) and I've never had it heat up to the point it was uncomfortable.
*Decent battery life
*Not too much bloatware on it preinstalled.
*Office comes preinstalled but unactivated, meaning you have to buy a copy, which is a pain if you're only allowed to use the code you have once and that computer crashes and it's impossible to deactivate that computer to activate office on your new computer.

*Video playback sucks. Netflix is choppy and when loaded first the voice and video get out of sync (-Edit- After updating to Windows 8.1 this isn't as much of an issue. I still experience slow out of sync video occasionally but that can be attributed to any number of things)
*Slow. It certainly experiences more than its fair share of slowness (-Edit- Again, 8.1 does a bit to fix this)
*Only one memory bay, which is located underneath the motherboard, meaning the entire computer has to be disassembled to change the RAM.
*Rather short charging cord.
*The track pad is something I also do not like, but this is a personal thing, I'm very picky with my track pads which is why I usually try the computer in store and then buy the same model online.

I originally rated this 3/5 stars with the title not the best. But after doing some of the suggested things in the comments, I was able to speed up the laptop a bit.

A few months after reviewing this product the graphics processor fried. This is a bit ridiculous, either I'm doing something wrong or I just have really bad luck with laptops. So in this case I noticed that when I would close my laptop, I'd open it up an hour or two later and it would still be on the desktop (So it never hibernated/went to sleep like it should have). I checked my settings, they were all fine. And it would go to sleep probably 60% of the time. So I think this is what killed the graphics processor in this case.
I'm not sure if that is an error caused by something I installed (I lean more towards something I installed since it usually worked and had been working for quite awhile), or if for some reason it stopped detecting that my screen was closed. So this may or may not be a con. Once I get it back from the repair shop I'll know.

Good news though! I can review this product from a tech support stand point. Tech support was fantastic. I called they got me hooked up with a repair number and all I had to do was mail it in (with my own money, they didn't pay for shipping there). It cost like $20 so it wasn't bad. It was cheaper than buying a new laptop. Since it was under warranty it was a free repair.
55 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 24, 2014
So far so good. Sound is wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of windows 8. But in general, I can't complain. Its a great buy for all it does, you definitely get bang for your buck.
on April 6, 2014
It is not the best, but certainly does the job. I like the features of HDMI, multiple USBs, SD card input, DVD player. One thing it lacks is Caps lock indicator, you just have to guess or try. It is lighter than some competition. Internet surfing is better than what I expected, fast enough for what I do. It is a great value for the money and would not make you feel bad if it fails prematurely. Worth considering if you are in the market. Meets my expectations... for the price. Reliability? We'll see...
on December 31, 2014
I bought this laptop from my school book store and at first it was hard to figure out because I was not accustomed to the windows 8 but after updating to the 8.1 and playing with it for a while I figured it out. I love this pc it is great for a student and it is great for office student and watching Netflix and hulu and watching movies. The sound is better then any other laptop I have had and I have had another Asus before and I loved that one too. Would still have it if I hadn't dropped it and messed it up. Asus is a wonderful product. My husband still has the Asus lap top that we bought 6 years ago and it works just fine, a little slow but what can you expect from a laptop that has been really used for 6 years, but still works wonderful. This laptop is fast and once you understand windows 8.1 it is very easy to use. I even love the Audio Wizard that comes with the laptop. That said I am going to buy another one because I have messed up mine by downloading something that corrupted my proxy server and I had to turn the proxy server off which causes a lot of riskware and addware to get into the computer but thanks to charter security it is being blocked but that hasn't took away from the laptops performance. It still works great and ill probably give it to my younger daughter to watch Netflix on because the old Toshiba I had I gave to her and it sucks big time. I don't know how to fix the problem with the proxy server so I'm going to get me another that isn't corrupted for school and watching videos because I do love this computer. One day I will buy a better laptop but it will be an Asus because it is a great brand that I don't want to change brands. Me and my husband will probably stick with Asus. Like other people have stated that it isn't a good computer for gamers but I have had no problem playing simple finding games on it or I don't have a problem with watching movies on Netflix or hulu.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 10, 2014
It's a ~$300 laptop. What can you expect right? I'd at least expect it to handle internet browsing and word processing at a decent speed. But it is soooo slow even doing those simple tasks. My 6 year old laptop (that I still use at school) is faster. I place most of the blame on Microsoft's terrible OS, but because it's the only OS you can have on this laptop, it counts against ASUS.

The screen is big, the keyboard is big, the speakers are fine, it's ports are all great, and the specs seem like it shouldn't be this slow. Windows 8.1 is slow, ugly, and cumbersome. To update from windows 8 plan for at least 2 days. I liked the Windows Key + s to search the hard drive and internet, but it's gotten so slow it's not even worth it (10+ seconds to start displaying results.)

The track pad is very fickle, definitely the second biggest con of the laptop. It often clicks on things you don't want it to. It's jumpy on selections. Also, some key placements are less than optimal-- fn + f10 through f12 for volume control. Please, let me adjust the volume one-handed!

I was really excited about this laptop when I bought it a few months ago, but after my wife and I using it as our primary home laptop, we're very unimpressed. Worse yet, we can't install any more RAM to resolve the speed issues! I do not like macs, but Microsoft's descent into poorly carried out flashiness and reinvention of functionality at every new release is pushing me over the edge. I'll most likely figure out linux and find a laptop I can install it on.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 10, 2014
I purchased this laptop about a month ago, so far I have not had any problems with it. Great price for an ASUS!