Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 184 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 218 reviews
on April 2, 2014
Don't listen to all the negative comments unless the computer was a lemon. Someone even had the audacity to say the are going to return their's and buy a mac. If you have money to buy a mac, why would you consider this computer anyway. By the way, I have 3 Mac computers and needed extra computers for my kids to surf, play simple flash online games, do homework, etc. and this is an excellent buy!

I also build computers and you can barely build a desktop computer (including case w/ power supply, HD, MoBo, Ram, DVD and with monitor) in this price range. Yes, the keyboard doesn't have the feel or power of my MacBook Pro, but I spent $1,800 for my mac. So is a fair comparison? No, because they are two different machines with different purposes. However, it is durable and if you have concerns, do what I did. I bought an inexpensive usb keyboard and mouse and let my kids use that without touching the actual laptop keyboard to preserve it.

I bought two and the are serving me and my family well and remember, ASUS is one of the top motherboard manufacturers in the world and I trust them. Also, it has 4 gigs of ram, a 500 GB HD, DVD burner, camera, Intel Dual core processor (and I know it isn't a i3, i5 or i7) and it is 15.4. screen...It's a steal and I don't know how they are making money.

Now, if you are a serious online gamer, do video rendering, audio recording/mixing, etc., then you will bring it to it's knees. But that's why I have my Mac Book Pro which has the i7 processor with hyper-threading which doubles my cores to 8, with 8 gigs of ram and no matter what I throw at it, it handles it with no problem.

Nevertheless, if you are considering a good computer for yourself, kids, significant other, etc.; and they just need to surf, do homework or use Microsoft office, then this is an EXCELLENT buy. I highly recommend this computer!!!!!
77 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2014
I had heard of these computers before, but never really paid that much attention to them because I didn't need one. We had always bought Dell computers before because they make great computers, but Michael Dell got greedy and outsourced his customer service to India, which is the same as NO customer service!
My wife needed a new laptop as her Dell and the Toshiba we replaced it with went belly-up. I, of course, was recruited to find a better quality replacement at the cheapest possible price. Just a word of caution to you newly-wed guys. When your wife bats those beautiful eyes at you and asks you to do these things because you are so much better than her at it, and that's why she loves you so much, let an old married guy let you in on a little secret. The REAL reason YOU got picked is, if anything goes wrong with the purchase (paid too much, wrong brand, it wouldn't work out of the box, died 10 years AFTER you got it out of the box) it's YOUR fault! Nothing to do with the review, just trying to help you out.
Anyway,long story short, this is a great computer, even though the first one didn't work out of the box.! The key to always being a hero in these situations is to always purchase whatever you are purchasing from Amazon. They sell almost everythig on the planet (usually at the lowest price), you can read reviews from people who actually bought the product, you always get it on time, and there is no such thing as a problem with your purchase. Amazon has, hands down, the greatest Customer Service of any company anywhere, period.
Great computer, great service, great price, happy wife, happy life. P.S. Don't tell your wife all this, just tell her that you always come through for HER, because you always want to be her hero. I'm not that smart but, you do learn a few things after you've done this a while. Enjoy your computer. THANX! Tim Drain.
on June 8, 2014
I received this product, and I was so excited to use it. I read other reviews that suggested immediately upgrading to windows 8.1, so I attempted to do so immediately. In order to do that, I had to install windows 8 updates. There were 99 of them. At first they wouldn't download. I finally got them downloaded, then they wouldn't install. I started over and downloaded and installed them successfully, then when my computer restarted, they began to finalize. After 1 1/2 hours, it said they couldn't be finalized and it reversed the entire process. After about 8 hours of work, I was back to square one.

I solved the problem by doing this. When you get to the update page, check for updates and then click the link below for a list of specific updates. I first chose the 2012 updates, and went through the process and was successful. Then I did the Jan/Feb 2013 updates and was successful (this took about an hour in total). Then I installed the remainder of the updates. Overall, that took about 2 hours. THEN I installed windows 8.1

I bought this computer for $268, so it was a good deal. It is not slow like some people said. I have not tried to watch a movie on Netflix on it, but for online video it is fine. I love the keyboard because it is set inside the unit (stays cleaner). The screen resolution is beautiful. It is super light as well.

I would definitely recommend this, but beware that there are a lot of updates that need to be done. I plan of filing a formal complaint with Amazon and Asus. I was sold a Windows 8 computer. I got the 2012 version of Windows 8 which is unacceptable to me. However, for the price, it was worth it.
on September 17, 2014
We bought this computer for extremely basic browser usage and basic office applications. This piece of trash was the worst computer I have ever owned, I have no idea how it even passed Q/A for release. I get that you get what you pay for, but this should have been free because it can't even run it's own operating system without freezing constantly. We tried reinstalling Windows, then upgraded to the latest version of windows because it's less CPU intensive, and it didn't make any difference. When we first got it, the sound didn't work and we had to reinstall just to get the sound to work, straight out of the box. The touchpad is in a terribly unergonomic position (why is it on the left side instead of the right? Everyone uses their RIGHT hand for touchpads...), and the tracking is awful... the mouse skips around all over the place, making it extremely frustrating trying to double-click icons and such.

Thank god for Amazon's excellent return policy. Shame on you ASUS for such a crap product. I expected a lot better from you, considering the quality of the mother boards I have purchased from you back in the day when I used to make my own towers.
on May 4, 2014
It's a nice laptop for everyday usage. It won't do any heavy computing or play games that require dedicated graphics, but it's not built for that. Surf internet, check e-mails, use facebook, put an office package on it for school or office - it will do all that just fine. Great that it has DVD-RW when a lot of new laptops go away with it. You buy laptop for mobility, why would you want to carry external dvd-rom with it???
on November 10, 2014
It's a ~$300 laptop. What can you expect right? I'd at least expect it to handle internet browsing and word processing at a decent speed. But it is soooo slow even doing those simple tasks. My 6 year old laptop (that I still use at school) is faster. I place most of the blame on Microsoft's terrible OS, but because it's the only OS you can have on this laptop, it counts against ASUS.

The screen is big, the keyboard is big, the speakers are fine, it's ports are all great, and the specs seem like it shouldn't be this slow. Windows 8.1 is slow, ugly, and cumbersome. To update from windows 8 plan for at least 2 days. I liked the Windows Key + s to search the hard drive and internet, but it's gotten so slow it's not even worth it (10+ seconds to start displaying results.)

The track pad is very fickle, definitely the second biggest con of the laptop. It often clicks on things you don't want it to. It's jumpy on selections. Also, some key placements are less than optimal-- fn + f10 through f12 for volume control. Please, let me adjust the volume one-handed!

I was really excited about this laptop when I bought it a few months ago, but after my wife and I using it as our primary home laptop, we're very unimpressed. Worse yet, we can't install any more RAM to resolve the speed issues! I do not like macs, but Microsoft's descent into poorly carried out flashiness and reinvention of functionality at every new release is pushing me over the edge. I'll most likely figure out linux and find a laptop I can install it on.
on January 28, 2015
So I had an ASUS eeepc, that was what made me think I can trust this brand. I used it for 3 years without reinstalling windows, no problem.
But then I needed something with a bigger screen, for some actual work, not only for playing around and using it on the train.
I noticed it on the first week that it was super slow! Even opening a website or scrolling down to the bottom of the page... Didn't pay too much attention to it, I used my Microsoft surface (best tablet ever) for browsing the Internet, watching Netflix, and I only used this one, when I needed to use some office or type longer emails.
But last week I wanted to watch my daily workout dvd on it, bc my boyfriend was playing on my xbox, I'm using that usually. It took 25 minutes (amost the entire workout) to even start playing the dvd. So I decided it's time for a reboot. I chose the option that deletes everything, for a fresh start. It went all the way to 23% in 3 hours, then it crashed. so I stuck without an operating syetem. It would be ok if I could just install a new windows. I tried win7, win8 with no luck. It froze even before I started the installation. Tried it more times..
So if you want a laptop that actually works, don't buy this piece of trash, it just doesn't worth your money and time!!!
on June 3, 2014
Okay, let me just start by saying that I didn't have huge expectations for this laptop in terms of performance and I bought it with the intention of upgrading the memory to 8gb and replacing the hard drive with an SSD.

Pros: Price, size and appearance
Cons: Poor quality, cheap parts. See below.

The disappointing thing about this laptop is that it is not easily upgradeable when it comes to replacing the HDD or the RAM. There are no easy access removable panels on the bottom for the RAM or HDD which means in order to upgrade either of them you have to disassemble the chassis and remove the motherboard which, of course, voids the warranty. It does not state this anywhere in the product information.

When I first removed the laptop from the box I heard a rattling inside. Now I didn't care about the warranty and was planning on upgrading anyway so I opened it up to find the source of the rattling. I discovered that it was a screw rolling around inside. In fact, about half the screws for the motherboard, both screws for the battery, and two screws from the hdd bracket were missing.

If you plan to do anything more than Web browsing, email, or word processing spend the extra money for something with better hardware so you're not disappointed. Otherwise, I would only use this machine if you're planning to replace the extremely awful Windows 8 with something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
on June 16, 2014
I really had no idea what to expect from the ASUS. Have only had Dell and Vaio laptops in the past. The ASUS is light weight with a functional keyboard (love the 10-key). I'm still learning Windows 8 and I upgraded to Windows 8.1; not crazy about either. Display seems good, although, watching some of my movies through iTunes, a couple feel grainy, or not as clear as they could be. This could simply be due to the fact that they are not "HD" movies. Slow processor if you are trying to watching a movie and do an update or a download. When I was upgrading to Windows 8.1, I decided to watch Groundhog Day on my iTunes while I was waiting. The audio and video would get out of sync after about 30 seconds each time I would try to start the movie. However, if I'm just watching a movie without downloading, works just fine. Quite honestly, I'm very happy with the laptop. For the price I paid, it will do fine. I paid 4 or 5 times the amount for my Dell about 10 years ago, and I had problems with that laptop straight out of the box. I do wish I would have gotten touch screen, as Windows 8/8.1 do better with the touchscreen option.
on April 16, 2014
I use this computer to run one single software program for my business. I lend the computer out to people on my team so I wanted something cheaper, that could run the program efficiently. I have noticed that the keyboard is a little "bouncy" when typing on it... it seems to be made of a pretty thin plastic. Again, I use this only to run one program and it is FANTASTIC for that I also love that it has the 10 key as part of the keyboard. I have not experienced an issue with speed like others have stated.