Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 143 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 160 reviews
on September 3, 2013
This laptop is an ABSOLUTE ANIMAL!!!

I got it as a replacement after my MSI GT-60 Series Gaming Laptop was stolen after only 2 months use. I did a LOT of research before deciding to buy another $2,000 computer (not to mention doing up the secuity in my house), and found this to be the better Choice, Giving me more Bang for my Buck.

Here are a Few of the Pro's and Cons, especially in Comparison to the MSI GT Series Gaming Laptops (top rival)

PROS

1. Looks great! There are very few laptops that can match the design of ASUS ROG Series.

2. It's faster than almost anything out there. I'm not sure if it's ASUS's BIOS, or the Solid State Drive, or both, but I am still impressed at how this thing loads the Operative System and programs. It takes 2 seconds or less to boot from sleep mode, and 6-7 seconds from complete sutdown... It's mind Boggling!
I tried it VS an MSI GT-70 with a solid state drive and the same OS, and the difference in loading times was incredible.
I booted my machine, logged in, and opene Microsoft Excel and Word before his computer finished loading Windows! True, Excel and Word are not huge programs... But when loading them up, the word instant comes to mind.

3. Efficient, quiet ventilation system. I have played some very GPU-demanding games, for HOURS at a time, and the laptop never got past 'slightly warm'. I mean, Crysis 2 running at full specs, and it didn't even break a sweat. Also, the vents in the back look spectacular, like they were taken from an F-22 fighter plane. The MSI I had got pretty hot to very hot, and some people say this is down to the thermal paste it comes with. The ASUS ROG handles it's venting with no noise, no issues and straight out of the box.

4. Big, Comfy touchpad, nice multi-touch functions too. My MSI's touchpad was WAY too small, so the multi-touch functions were basically useless. This pad is VERY NICE to work with, and can be turned off to play with an external mouse for gaming.

5. Looks Well-Made, solidly built. When I was researching I found MSI Computers to have problems with the monitor hinges, a point proven later that week, when my friend told me the hinges on his MSI (9 months old) had broken and he had to use copious ammounts of epoxy-glue to fix it. Now his computer looks like Frankenstein. I didn't find any issues with this machine, no matter how hard I looked. Basically Bullet-proof. (I will update this as soon as something breaks :)

6. Ports for everything and anything. This thing comes with 4 USB 3.0 ports where one is also a fast-charger, an HDMI out, a Mini Display with Thunderbolt Technology (sounds fast), LAN port, Monitor connector, audio/microphone jacks. and a multi-card reader. I can't think of anything else I would Add (Save maybe FireWire, but that never really bothered me, since I have no peripherals for it)

7. Nice, simplistic, backlit keyboard. No excess buttons to accidentally push, and everything is where you expect it. Yes, the MSI has like 30 colors to chose from on their GT-60 and GT-70 series laptops, but it's a feature I don't really find myself missing.

CONS

1. Sound could be better. I'm not saying it sucks, mind you. The sound is actually not bad at all, especially if you take into account that the computer has no visible speakers (they are hidden on the underside of the screen and are VERY small, and the sub-wofer is underneath the machine). I do find that it starts to sound like something is rattling in there if I push the volume up a bit. In this sence it gets completely beaten by the MSI GT Series, which have absolutely SUPERB sound quality.

2. It's BIG. I mean I knew what I was getting into when I purchased another 17-inch gaming Laptop, but this thing won't fit into MOST Carry cases or Backpacks. I had to special order my backpack from China. Took about 2 1/2 weeks to get here.

3. It's Heavy. This is not a surprise if you are a Gamer, I mean, heavy means Robust, and Robust is good. If this is your first gaming Laptop, it weighs about one a a half times what a Dell Inspiron of the same size does. Not a real CON of this particular laptop, but of all Gaming Laptops in general.

4. It's Expensive. But again, this is True of ALL Gaming Laptops, and this one actually gave me the MOST bang for my buck.

So that's it, folks. I can't find anything else wrong with this machine. I'm completely thrilled with it, and would recommend it to anyone thinking about buying a gaming Laptop. I hope this helps any potential buyers out there. Also, please note that I'm not trash-talking MSI's. They are great machines in my opinion, but I think this one better suits my needs at this time.
44 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2013
I got this Laptop a week back and noticed from the starting that battery won't get charged after 87-89%. I thought it maybe because the battery is new and would be fine after a few days. After 1 week of irritation and multiple Chats with Asus Tech Support, the issue still persists.

Today I was told that the battery maybe defective and I am being given RMA to send the battery back at my OWN shipping cost. When you pay $1800 on a notebook you certainly don't expect to pay shipping charges to ship back the defective battery.

Only reason why I am not asking for replacing the whole unit is that I have already copied lot of work related items and don't want to go through a hassle of setting it up all over again.

I may have got a defective piece but I expected better service from Asus. That was the primary reason to choose this over MSI.
on August 20, 2013
So far I love this laptop. The biggest thing that kept me from buying it earlier is that it has Windows 8, but the SSD and the price was what kept bring me back to this product during my hunt.

I had purchased a 2010 G73 for my boyfriend three years ago, I was always jealous about how much more powerful his laptop was compared to my macbook pro 2010, and my 2005 XPS Desktop gaming system was way out of date. Now that I'm done with school, I figure it was time that I got a new gaming system.

Pros:
It is definably fast (boots in 2-3 seconds), and it runs cool. About to hop back on FFXIV after two years and ran the benchmark test. Scored 13690 on standard settings and 6090 on maximum settings. Compared to the G73; 5940 standard, 2901 on max. My Macbook scored 2060 standard, couldn't handle max.

Cons:
Windows 8 is pointless on this machine as there is no touch screen. If you prefer Windows 7 over 8, look up START 8. It can help you change the layout to resemble 7, been a life saver for me. The speakers isn't anything to brag about, they sound terrible. Buy a headset.

Tips:
Some things I learn from the G73 to keep in mind for the G750. If your laptop starts to over heat, its most likely dirty. If you run it almost every day, clean the dust out of it once to twice a month (powerful fans suck up more dust).

Watch out for the power cord, the connection can get damaged really easily with a simple kick. I don't know why other companies having caught on to the quick disconnect like Apple's laptops.
on January 18, 2014
just do not install win 8.1, it has many conflicts with wireless. Games looks great.
I wish I had buy the version with Bluray
on July 7, 2013
Let me start out by stating that, this is my first true gaming laptop purchase. I was never much into PC games since I said goodbye to my teenage years and "Duke Nukem". Since then I have been faithful to my gaming consoles and never looked back... untill now.

The Asus G750JX is a powerful machine and one that fits me right. I recently installed " BioShock Infinite" and I must say, this game runs flawlessly on Ultra settings. This is only my first game played on this machine so only time will tell if it holds up to every other games I throw at it.

I was on the fence in purchasing this laptop due to its pricing, considering that, the competition (MSI GT Series, Clevo/Sager, Toshiba Qosmio, etc) offer configurations at the same price range but with a higher/premium GPU (780m). The reason I went with the Asus G750JX is first, due to the design, and second, the amazing "DUAL" fans. The built quality of this product is excellent. It looks great and feels less bulky than other competing offerings. Other manufactures offer extremly ugly looking and bulky laptops. My second point in favor for choosing the G750 is its dual fan cooling system.

One of my fears was having a powerful GPU with a single fan solution for cooling. I say this because the hotter your machine gets over a certain threshold, the more likely it is to malfunction or die on you early. This laptop keeps me comfortable in knowing that heat will never be a problem and my investment will last me for the long run. The NVIDIA 770m GPU is plenty fast and thanks to the dual fans, I have yet to feel any signs of overheating hiccups.

I am glad to say that the OS is installed in the SSD drive. I personally took out the standard mechanical hard-drive and installed a second 256GB SSD that I had purchased last year on Amazon. Although this setup is giving me less data space to work with (512gb vs1,256gb), it did wonders to my battery life. I am getting roughly 4.5 to 5 hours of battery life now when doing light tasks, such as surfing web and editing documents.

Sound quality is great, crystal clear and loud, although not very loudest I have experienced. Screen has excellent viewing angles and is anti-reflective. Keyboard is excellent. It does not fell cramped and provides good key feedback. Also the metal casing around it makes it even better (aesthetically).

Overall this is an amazing laptop that was worth the buy. The only con I can list is the lack of a " Bluray" player. At this price range a DVD player just doesn't cut it, especially when this laptop is meant for gaming and entertainment.
1515 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2013
The laptop was of good quality, but not the OS in it.
Crashed in less than one minute of initial boot, and was all downhill after that.
I would have loved this Laptop if it had a recovery disk, and if it had windows 7.
on December 8, 2013
Because this product cost so much and there are so many other brands and configurations and choices, I'm going to take the time to review this product a bit more thoroughly to help others in making their decision.

If you read nothing else: Gamers do not buy this or any other laptop that comes with Windows 8. You've been warned.
Now for the details. Yes, this product worked out of the box without anything wrong. That's where the good things end.

Documentation & Support: None. That's right, you shelled out almost 2 grand and there is no manual, NO backup discs or software. No windows nor driver recovery disk.

Laptop Design: Sure it looks sleek and fancy to the other person but the owner lugging around this TOO WIDE and heavy behemoth, unpractical. Also what you can't tell from the picture - the top of this laptop is coated with a thin rubbery finish. Something that attracts dust and is way too easy to scratch. The brushed aluminum framing the keyboard is not a plus.
The mouse pad is 'luxuriously' large. So big in fact you will find your left palm below your thumb continually and accidentally activating it during gaming. This will get annoying until you disable the touch pad and use your own USB mouse.
Asus boasts an awesome sound boosting headphones port. Yes it does sound good. Where is it located? Why on the right side of course where your mouse pad would be resting. The port should have been on the back or left side along with all the other ports. In fact there are NO ports in the back. Its all for heat exhaust fans.

The screen is wide and large and yet I suffer from eye strain using this for extended periods (unlike my Alienware monitor I have plugged in). Maybe its the resolution, the flicker, the brightness but whatever, this laptop screen is not performing well for extended use. In fact, it ONLY shines during movie play back - That is DVD, not internet.

Wireless - 1 star. Speed is really slow and watching netflix or youtube vidoes buffer a lot. I have this one running side by side with my older dell latop and my dell runs internet conduct way better. Whatever the 'out of the box' settings are on this Asus, they're awful. I'm very displeased with the product and the only reason it has gotten 2 stars instead of 1 is because the unit works and is not DOA.

I thought the 2 Hard drives would be great, a 256GB SSD and 1TB storage drive. Asus managed to mess this up too. The SSD is partitioned into 100GB and 156 GB for a reason i don't know and they split the 1TB into 2 500GB drives also. There is NO documentation hard copy, disc or even installed that explains this or how to use it properly. Just awful.

I'm not going into detail on how awful Windows 8 is. Just know it is NOT gamer friendly.
on March 7, 2014
I've had this laptop a week and it is great. I can play Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 on Ultra. However, Asus does not provide a Windows dvd nor a cd key (its not on the bottom/inside the battery compartment). The factory install includes bloatware and a "recovery" partition that takes up 10-15% of the ssd. I want to re-install windows and remove all of that.
I asked Asus for a dvd/cd key and they said I could send my laptop in. I told them I can do it myself and they said no, they wouldn't send me anything.
Seeing as how Microsoft charges Asus for each copy of Windows they install on their computers and Asus passes that cost along to the consumer, I've already paid for a copy of Windows and I don't want to have to buy another. So, I went to Microsoft for recourse and they said no as well.
For a gaming laptop, this one is great for the price, but I'm not going to purchase another computer from Asus again as their technical support and policies are completely asinine. This also makes me hope Steam OS will become a viable gaming OS alternative to Windows.
on November 1, 2013
I needed to replace my old gateway 17 inch gaming laptop. It was from 2007. I use it for college and for gaming. This ASUS more than fits my needs for many reasons:
PROS
-6 Hour battery life when taking notes in class. This is almost unheard of in a gaming laptop with a big display. Haswell processor is awesome. 0.7Ghz when doing light tasks, 3.4 when gaming.
-Big, bright, beautiful screen.
-Very nice keyboard
-Excellent gaming performance. Almost every game in existence can be set to Ultra or high settings with very smooth gameplay.
-Very quiet fan.
-Stays cool-even when gaming, the machine stays cool. Using speedfan, the GPU idles in the low to mid 40s.
-2 hard drives. I replaced the second HDD with a SSD and it is extremely fast
-Multitasking is smooth. It does not slow down.
-Keyboard lighting is nice. I don't care for multicolored lighting.
-Plenty of USB outputs.
-Best bang for your buck.
-Looks and feels like high quality.
-Boot time is about 7 seconds.
-The stealth jet look is awesome.
CONS
-Windows 8. I am not going to purchase a windows 7 license though. I am getting used to it. (Performance is awesome in gaming so I don't really care)
-I prefer Linux. No wireless driver for Linux Mint. I am currently stuck with windows 8. I want to use windows 8 for gaming only (Performance is awesome in gaming so I don't really care for now but I sure miss Linux)
-Heavy and bulky (Performance is awesome in gaming so I don't really care)
So even with those few cons, it still gets a 5. I would love to see it side by side with the G750JH to compare battery life, heat, and performance. As of right now, I think this is the best out there. I am very happy with my purchase.
on December 3, 2013
This laptop is a fantastic piece of equipment for several reasons, and I am very happy with my choice. Here is why.

Originally when looking for a high end laptop I thought I was looking for an alienware, however I was not a huge fan of the price and the potential issues that I may run into (previous Alienware laptops had major issues, the newest line seems to have worked the kinks out). Unhappy with the price i began to look for other brands of gaming laptops and I was unimpressed with the specs until i looked at the Asus ROG series. with a direct comparison I quickly came to the conclusions that for the same price Asus had better specs in every single category.

Seeing that the Asus laptop was clearly a better specced machine I began to look at reviews from users of the ROG series, and found that there were minor complaints without any serious issues (notable exceptions from people who did not realise that there is a warranty with the laptop for manufacturer defects, and not only that but a free one year warranty against accidental damage)

Upon purchasing the laptop i immediately ran some code to see how well it would do handling some rather intensive matlab code. It performed wonderfully and for the price that I paid was playing the games that I had without a single note of lag. (Saints row IV, Need for Speed 2012 being the most recent)

The only downsides of this laptop that I have found are as follows:

The battery life is quite short when playing games, This was expected with any laptop, but I would like a battery life longer than 2 hours for car rides. looks like I'll have to shell out a bit more for a tablet

The design: While the laptop does look really good it doesn't have the eye popping tech candy look that the alienware does. While the Alien ware lost badly in specs, the asus does lose point for design looks.

Again, along with the design due to the color/material every single little smudge can be seen. it makes me want to obsessively clean my laptop.

The keypad/shortcut keys are in my opinion poorly placed. There is only one fn button so turning the volume up/down with one hand is out of the question. This again is a trivial design problem and doesn't really affect my opinion of the laptop other than i have to take my hand off of the mouse every once in awhile.

Overall:

This laptop blows the Alienware comparable out of the water is terms and price vs specs. While it doesn't have the sexy vibe to it (yes, the sexy vibe) I personally wouldn't be willing to trade the much better specs just to have my friends say wow.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.