Customer Reviews: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on November 16, 2011
There will certainly be some in-depth tech reviews of this board very soon, if not already posted. What I want to mention is far more simple... just a couple impressions and a list of hardware I have that works well with it.

First of all, this is the cheapest of the 3 Asus boards in this series. I bought it because I already know I am not going to use the added features available in the more expensive units. I am good with just 2x SATA6gbps ports. My other drives will do just fine connected to one of the 4 SATA3gbps ports.

I had no trouble whatsoever with the following components:
- Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler RR-B10-212P-G1
- Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor
- Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze CP-9020002-NA

The board looks great and has a very solid feel to it. I will be looking to upgrade the CPU next year with whatever Intel has out by then. For now, I am very very happy with the upgrade in speeds over my old Q6600.
on January 10, 2012
Ordered this ASUS P8Z68 mobo for a new system built around a new I7 CPU. Build included new case (Cooler Master 690 II Advanced), 64GB SSD, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram, Corsair H80 liquid CPU cooler and a XFX Radeon 6850 HD GPU, 750W PSU plus assorted HDD, DVDRW, etc.
I took my time with the build, spreading it out over several evenings and really appreciated the sturdy ASUS build and the very well written documentation. I'm neither a novice nor a professional system builder, and I found the manual well laid out for all levels of builder/enthusiast. My install had only 2 hiccups: 1- the thin "shield" that snaps into the rear case cut out for the input connectors (video cable, audio, usb's, etc) was harder to snap into place than expected - which may a case issue or my ineptitude. Once snapped in, I finally could place the mobo and align the screws correctly. 2nd bigger issue was the RAM (2x4gb) would not be recognized in the slots recommended, resulting is a gawdawful unending warning beep upon power up. Once I confirmed each DDR stick was good individually, I resolved the issue by placing the sticks in slots B1 and B2 (instead of A2 B2 per the documentation). I opted to rate this as an issue not worthy of a return as it works fine with the new placement. This board has plenty of USB's (2.0 & 3.0) and 3 and 6gb Sata ports, plenty of fan support (a must with a 10 fan case and liquid cooler)and excellent space and slots for additional crossfire and SLI video cards. Finally, as this is a z68 mobo, it has very nice support for getting the most out of your CPU, RAM and GPU with excellent but safe overclocking utilities, it you are so inclined. By the way, the UEFI Bios is pretty cool and I appreciate the mouse friendly GUI. The included drivers worked as expected, as once I ran the utility, all my "banged" devices (adapters, ports, usb's, etc) in device manager were neatly identified and ready for use. Overall a great quality buy and worth the few extra bucks that separate it from much lesser boards.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2012
I am a first time computer builder and after many days of research it was between the P8Z68-V/GEN 3 and the P67 Sabertooth. Nothing agasint Gigabyte motherboards. I will probably use one on my next build but I am familiar with ASUS and they got decent reviews across the board. I decided on the Z68 chipset because everything about it looked promising from all of the reviews on,, and other miscellaneous websites.

Right out of the box it looks incredibly clean. It comes with a very good manual with instructions on how to insert the motherboard in the case, installing the CPU, and basically everything else you need to know.

The one thing amazon is lacking is good and decent reviews on motherboards. When buying a motherboard from any online retailer (or local) you are always going to risk the chance of a lemon. Just with every other product on the planet.

I used the following computer components for my perfect gaming rig.

Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB Sata III 7200RPM 16MB Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive
Lite-On LightScribe 24x SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Corsair Vengeance Blu 8GB (2x4 GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5
Intel Core i5-2500 3.3 GHz
Asus LGA 1155 P8Z68-V/GEN 3

All of those components were $919.
Also, when you install the graphics card the motherboard automatically recognizes the external card and you can plug your monitor into the card right away.

If anything goes wrong with the motherboard I will update this review but if there is no edit to it then you will know that the motherboard is legitimate.
on December 4, 2011
After contemplating for over a year on whether to buy or build a new system, I finally decided to build. I haven't built a computer since the Windows 98 days, when I built a cheap computer just for kicks. It worked. I gave it to a church member. That was the beginning and end of my computer building days.

When choosing parts I bogged down on the motherboard and case, reading reviews until it all became a blur. I finally settle on this Asus as I was able to get an outstanding deal via another online vendor. I eliminated the Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboards GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 due to wanting to checked out a new bios, if only briefly. I installed it in the Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011013-WW made all the requisite connections, installed the drivers, and, voila, it worked. I had a couple of minor issues due to ignorance, both of which were easily resolved without "pulling out the hair" frustration. I have not installed a graphics card, yet the onboard graphics are outstanding.

It is probably too early for me to heap praises on this motherboard, as I have just finished my build. But when you have problems, computer-wise, it is usually from the get go. If necessary, I will edit this review. I'm so ecstatic that I did not have to worry about any problems. I haven't delved into vast array of Asus and Z68 software and features. I will tackle them in small bites. I doubt I will ever try the smart cache thing even though I have a ssd and hdd installed.

Two of the issues that I came across, while researching the z68 (though not necessarily the Gen 3 variety) Asus boards, were slow boots and the placement of the SATA ports. Neither were an issue to me, but I can understand the SATA ports if you have a tight build.

So those of you new to the computer building game, I highly recommend this mid-grade motherboard.
on February 7, 2012
I have really enjoyed using this motherboard so far. The UEFI BIOS makes all those seemingly daunting bios settings so much easier to work with and much less intimidating. Asus has done a great job packaging a board that is easy to work with, feature rich, and overclock friendly. Coming from someone who had never attempted to overclock a board before I found it to be surprisingly easy, with some helpful utilities provided by Asus and the board itself.

The only issue I ran into was a well-known double-boot bug reported on many of the tech forums. I found it to be initially quite annoying but I was not all that concerned. The result is that for some reason the board appears to turn on, power-up, and then immediately shut off to start over automatically. After some additional reading I was able to tweak a couple bios settings and have not encountered the issue for quite a while now. Many others have reported that the issue has been resolved with updated bios as well.
on April 25, 2012
This motherboard worked great straight from the box and I've been using my PC for a little over a month now with zero problems. Moreover, installed on the MB is an Intel Core i5-2500K Processor,8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL,ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express Dual DVI/HDMI Video Card with Eyefinity EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5, and for now the stock Intel cpu fan. Soon, I'd like to replace the CPU fan with a self contained water cooling unit like this one Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler System. Moreover, this MB and all of the other components fits nicely in the Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1).

Like the title says, this is my first PC build so I'm not computer savvy. I basically followed Neweg g's "How to Build a Computer" youtube video to put the PC together. My favorite amenity the MB offers is the UEFI BIOS because of its simplicity. For my general/home entertainment/light gaming setup, this motherboard offers everything I could ever want....well, I guess it would be nice to have 1 more SATA 6Gb/s port, but 2 is enough for now. Currently I have a Mushkin Chronos 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (MKNSSDCR120GB) and Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX connected to the SATA 6Gb/s ports. A third internal SATA 6Gb/s would be nice for further expansion.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this motherboard.
on February 23, 2012
Ordered late Monday, arrived Thursday along with 4 other components using standard shipping. The remaining all showed up Friday. As usual, Amazon did a great job combining orders and I paid maybe $30 shipping in total, for everything. I installed the following, and this part was compatible:

ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3 motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1)
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 case
Windows 7 64 bit OEM
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3 1600 mhz DDR3 memory
My old WD HDD SATAII 7200 RPM from previous PC
MSI GeForce GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 Twin Frozr II OC

I love this mobo. Has a power button on the mobo so you can do an external build before connecting it to your case. Also has a nice MemOK button that diagnoses potential memory stick issues. Sturdy board, lots of LED lights warning you of boot, or vga, or other issues. Fit nicely in my case. Comes with a good owners manual with clear instructions.

Supports Intel Rapid Storage Technology which I'm not real impressed with. Also supports the HD3000 onboard graphics available with the i5 2500K. I play SWTOR on max settings on my 720 resolution Sony TV with no video card. This mobo allows you to use the HD3000 for things like fast video conversion and will automatically switch to a discrete video card for gaming. The ASUS website has all the drivers you need so I didn't even use the included disc. Came with plenty of connectors for my 2 HDDs, 1 optical, and 1 SSD. I still have an SATAII connector left over. Came with some zip ties and all the necessary hardware to install.

One important thing to note. This mobo does not have an onboard speaker. So if you want to hear your POST warnings, you need to buy a motherboard speaker.....they are about $5 and well worth it if you plan on doing an external build first to test the memory and CPU without the monitor or case hooked up yet.

Very happy and highly recommend this mobo.
on May 5, 2014
It is a nice MB with a ton of features:
Pros: built in bluetooth, 3 PCIex16 slots, angled sata connectors, a power button right on the board, plenty of USB ports and as many headers on the board to connect more USB ports, many hardware switches, switchable graphics, comprehensive management suite to control OC, and monitor sensors.

- the bluetooth seems to be a class 3 - that is more than a few feet away and you lose all connectivity with your BT device, and you probably could connect a keyboard or a mouse (don't have any of these), but I know for certain that connecting BT headphones was a fiasco - after I installed the BT dongle drivers it did recognize the headphones and even allowed me to select it as the default output device, but the sound had very high latency and was terrible (I use the same headphones with my laptop and it works great). So unless you actually plan to use it for OC monitoring (like it was intended to) - it is pretty much useless.
- USB ports don't stop supplying power when the computer is off and there is no setting to control this, hence had a few harddrives that would keep spinning even after the computer was powered down...
- Switchable graphics - that is an awesome feature, I guess... I didn't have a power meter at the time to see if running my PC of the internal GPU while having a discrete GPU plugged in made sense, but since it only works with older GPUs and I don't have my 8800GTX anymore - there is no way for me check it anymore. And yeah, it is a con, because for me that was one of the features that I bought this MB for, but since I put in GTX670 the "switchable" part of the graphics broke (games that were set to switch to the discrete GPU would hang, crash do things that could not be classified as working) and having things the other way around made no sense since encoding on my GTX660 or even on the PCU itself was faster than trying to encode stuff using the built in GPU (GMA, and yes I did find a transcoder specifically supporting intel quickvideo encoding). So ended up just using my GTX670 all the time without the "switchable" thing as it didn't work anyway. (btw in my case the difference for idle is about 20W - the GTX670 when idle draws 20W more than the GMA)
- management suite - the Windows 8 version does not do anything, firmware updating kinda works, but that is about it.

So in the end, even though I bought it because of its comprehensive suite of tools and features in the end most of them turned out to be pretty much useless since they were not implemented properly, or simply since my plans somewhat changed (I was planing to buy a second GTX670 when they became cheap and I would not have enough performance for modern games - at the current pace I still have plenty of time before I run out of performance even with a single GTX670, they probably might release GTX970 by the time I start running out of performance for gaming :( )

Other thoughts:
- angled sata connectors turned out to be a nightmare in my case with the harddrive bay also being angled and less than an inch of space between the connectors on the MB and the wall of the harddrive bay, but that was a poor choice of a case and MB on my side, there are cases that do have an angled harddrive bay and also lack the wall around where the sata connectors are so it should not be a problem.
- it does cost money to send the MB back to ASUS, they do try to repair your MB, but apparently don't test it after they are done - after 2 years of good work it stopped booting one day (it would power up the fans, but nothing more than that not even a beep). So 1st attempt (after of 2 days of dancing on the phone: "did you try rebooting your computer? are you sure you did?") - it boots, but occasionally shuts down, and somehow it now lacks a thermal sensor?! 2nd attempt - it almost does not shutdown anymore, the sensor is still missing so I keep getting on each boot a warning that my MB temperature is -128C (-198.4F)...

I am not going for another ASUS product anymore - there are other better options, which hopefully have better customer support. But customer support aside the product does perform satisfactory most of the time, so it does deserve at least 3 stars.
on March 21, 2012
Easy install, started up perfect, Bios easily flashed. All the things I like about Asus really. I know their boards are a bit on a pricy side, but really most are pretty solid. They do a decent job. As others said for me it was a no brainier, cost was marginally cheaper than the pro and I did not need all the SATA III ports. If you are on the fence and in the market for a solid Z68 board this has just enough for a 'normal' build with some growth space.

Mobo: ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 - PCIe 3.0 and UEFI BIOS Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1155 Motherboards P8Z68-V/GEN3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
CPU Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Memory: Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 16 Dual Channel Kit - CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Dual DVI/HDMI/Display Port SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P3-1573-AR
Optical: Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal (2)
Media Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX
Boot Drive: Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 128 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop Kit with Norton Ghost 15
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window and Black Interior (SGC-1000-KWN1)e
Case Fan [Rear]: SilverStone Air Penetrator Air Channeling Case Fan 120*120*25mm/1500rpm AP121 (Black)
Case Fan [Top]: Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-LUS-07AR-GP (Red)
PSU: Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
Misc: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack; Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (Black), Razer Deathadder Infrared Gaming Mouse (RZ01-00151400-R3); Dual Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" LED LCD Monitor - 16:10 - 8 ms + Samsung SyncMaster 220WM 22" LCD Monitor.
on March 19, 2012
While I consider myself a decent tech, this board is one that I would recommend to anyone building a system. It has most of the features higher end board, while maintaining an easy setup. Having the IDE port was nice as I did not need to retire my aging hard drive or DVD drive yet and makes it that much better for someone who is buying their computer a piece at a time. This board comes with USB 2.0 and 3.0 as well as the sata 3gb/sec and 6gb/sec which is again nice for anyone as it has the ability to run new and old tech alike. The auto overclock feature took my I2500k to 4.0 with a push of a button. The audio is pretty good for being on board would only require an audio card for true audiophiles. In conclusion, I would say that I will never be buying anything but ASUS boards anymore after the headaches that I had with the competitors boards over the years