Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

ASUS MB168B 15.6" WXGA 1366x768 USB Portable Monitor
Size: 15.6-Inch|Style: WXGA, USB 3.0|Change

on August 1, 2016
It works amazingly. I can finally travel anywhere and be just as productive as in my office. Please check out the pictures below. I highly recommend this setup using the Sidecar attachment to attach the screen to your laptop. Reasons?

1) The least utilized space is the space right above your laptop screen.
2) This setup has the smallest footprint, as small as your laptop alone. It leaves table space for your notepad, coffee, books, and other things.
3) It's good for posture. The 2nd screen is at eye level so you can look right ahead.

If you're interested in this setup, everything you need is right here for a total $220. Please note I am not selling any of this, nor am I connected in any way with any of the sellers. I just wanted to share a setup that is working wonderfully for me. Cheers

USB screen: $180

sidecar to attach screen to any laptop: $25

hinge to support laptop: $4

velcro strip to attach hinge to laptop: $5

rubber spray to rubberize hinge tip for extra traction: $6
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
55 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2015
Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a software developer, and work both on and off-site. When working in the office or at home I have a dual-monitor setup to complement my work-supplied laptop. But when I'm really on the road, or working in conference rooms or team coding sessions, I really began to feel constrained by the single monitor. It's just nice to be able to spread code out across several screens while working on interconnected code. Or to be able to have API documentation open on one screen while vim is going on the other. So I began to seek a solution that would provide me with dual-monitor luxury even while away from the traditional desk.

My requirements were:
* Must work with Ubuntu (Linux).
* Must not require an external power source.
* Should require only a single cable.
* Must be close to the same screen dimensions as my laptop (15.6")
* Must be close to the same resolution as my laptop (1920x1080)
* Must be lightweight.
* Must fit into my laptop bag and backpack alongside my laptop.

This unit fit all of those needs perfectly.

There are several caveats that if understood ahead of time will help potential buyers make a good decision. First, it's designed for Windows 7 or newer, or Mac OS-X. But it also works with Ubuntu by downloading the DisplayLink driver from the DisplayLink website. Some Ubuntu systems (particularly those built on 14.04LTS) will require a kernel update too. And under Ubuntu the auto-rotate capability is not functional. In fact, with current drivers, it only works in landscape mode. I haven't tried overriding the basic settings with xrandr or xrotate. It's possible that a little more experimentation would enable portrait mode, which may come in handy for coders who like to do horizontal splits.

This is a USB 3 device. I tried it with USB 2 as well, but that required being connected through a powered hub. Similarly, even though my other monitors have USB 3 ports in them, they don't supply enough power on their own to power this unit. But driven directly by USB 3 ports on my laptop (AC or battery powered), or the docking station, it works great. If your USB 3 ports aren't capable of supplying sufficient power, though, you may need a powered hub.

The color is good, though not identical to my laptop. I haven't investigated calibration options because it's close enough, and good enough for what I need. The brightness setting works as designed, and the screen is plenty bright. My laptop's color doesn't match my full size monitors either (dual 27" Dell's at work, and dual 24" Asus's at home), and that really doesn't bother me.

The screen is crisp and sharp. And it renders 1920x1080 just as I had hoped. I expected to see some lag, but I don't detect any. The mouse moves across the screen smoothly.

The carrying case that comes with it is perfect for carrying the monitor and for protecting it. And reasonably good for serving the second purpose of monitor stand. But I ordered a tablet stand to use instead, and like that better.

The monitor's build quality is nice. it is slender, light, pretty, and sufficiently robust. It doesn't have a "cheap-o" feel.

Recently I plugged the monitor into my laptop at the same time that the laptop was docked, driving my dual 27 inch Dell monitors, and I was almost surprised to discover that it all worked fine. Including the laptop's own screen, I had four monitors going in all, working as a single extended desktop. Combined with Ubuntu's virtual desktops, the space was really liberating.

So if you need a 15.6" portable monitor at 1920x1080 to use alongside your laptop, this is great. Be prepared to use USB 3, and to use a compatible operating system. If you prefer dual-monitors, even on the go, this is hard to beat for the price.
2424 comments| 294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 22, 2016
I loved the idea of getting a portable monitor… Then I actually got one. This ASUS monitor is amazing!!! I can’t say enough about the light weight, perfect picture/color and sleek design. But the thing I like the most and also the reason I bought it was for ease of use. I no longer have to drag out a monitor to have duel screens; it sits in my desk drawer until I need an extra monitor with my laptop.

I am also a programmer and screen real-estate is very important to me. I have had this for about four months now and have already taken it to a conference, several long meetings and a three day training session. Just one more plus about it is the USB 3 models don’t use external power, I cannot stress enough that this feature alone is great.

The ASUS MB169B+ that I bought comes with a case that is sturdy and not at all cheap; by this I mean that I have had it for about four months now and it really has no sign of wear yet. And, as for usage, I use this monitor about three to four times a week and return it back to the case after every use.

After seeing the quality and performance of this portable monitor I am now thinking of looking at getting one of their laptops. ASUS seems to make really quality stuff, well monitors anyway.

It has worked flawlessly for me but if it ever gives up on me I will surely buy another ASUS. I would buy it again and I would recommend it to anyone.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 9, 2013
As an external auditor, I travel from client to client. As such, I was looking for a lightweight portable monitor. Well, I can easily say I found it. This monitor does just what I need it to. It is very portable and easy to set up, no matter where I am working. I even set this monitor up while I am cuddled up on the couch studying for the CPA exam. This portable monitor easily enables me to increase productivity and comfort while working with multiple applications. To top it off, the monitor is Mac compatible (just install displayLink) driver and viola! All and all a great addition to my tech inventory.

Note: The USB connection at the monitor is not the best connection, minor jostling will cause the cable to become slightly disconnected. This is a minor irritation and not worth lowering my overall rating. I just want other buyers to be aware of this flaw. All you have to do is re secure the connection and things are right again.
66 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 17, 2017
This is an absolutely fantastic, slim, portable display. I'm an app developer and it slips in my bag with ease.

Before I plugged it into my MacBook, I downloaded and installed the driver from the Asus website. However, the screen was extremely laggy. Just moving the mouse around the screen was a glitchy nightmare. I read all of the reviews and couldn't find anyone experiencing the same thing. I began to think it was my computer, but everything was up-to-spec. After about an hour of Googling, I came across the DisplayLink driver page. Just so everyone is clear, Asus makes the hardware, but it's using DisplayLink as a driver. The one on the Asus site is either outdated or incomplete. I downloaded and installed the driver directly from the DisplayLink website. Amazon won't let me post the link, but just do a quick google search for DisplayLink Mac driver and you'll be all set!

All of the lag is gone! The display runs perfectly. I love this thing. I'm probably going to get another soon. Very glad I found this. I hope the driver tip helps someone else!
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 11, 2017
Let's face it...it seems like there's more to do each day, and less time to get it done. If you want to have any kind of personal time, you have to be able to multi-task to get your 12 hours worth of work to fit into an 8 hour day.

For me to accomplish this, I have set up my "Command Center" in my office and in my home...but what about when I have to hit the road? It's not like my job stops because I'm in a hotel, right? This is where these monitors shine. According to the ASUS website, the software for these will allow you to use up to 5 linked with your PC. I can't confirm this, but I do have have 3, and I run them all along with my laptop display. I can't quite work as efficiently as I am used to, but it's darn close.

I would recommend a few accessories if you want to do this however. At first, I tried to make a mounting system that would allow me to use 3 lined up in portrait mode, as I am used to on my desktops, but then realized that this wasn't necessary. I instead purchased a couple of MountEra Side-Mount Clips and a couple of Anker aluminum stands, and I'm set. The clips are large enough so that I can mount one on each upper corner of my laptop display and it will hold one monitor to each side and also one mounted directly above my main display. I use the Anker stands to carry the weight of the monitors (which isn't much), so that it doesn't drag down my laptop lid.

The monitors themselves are very lightweight, thin, and easy to pack and transport. I slide all 3 of them into an Amazon Basics neoprene laptop sleeve (15"), separated by 2 thin pieces of packing foam cut to size. The cables, clips, and stands all fit into the front pocket of my backpack. Setting up takes about 3 minutes, and I can go to town

The color on these is pretty good. They match up well with a little tweaking, and as promised, have good viewing angles. The colors are not as rich as on my main display, but nothing to gripe about unless you are doing photo editing.

All in all, they are well worth the price. I have the Full HD USB 3.0 versions, although I do have a USB-C port. I didn't want to have to worry about keeping track of which was which.

The software that comes with them is very easy to set up, and once you do, you can just use your Windows display settings to rearrange them as you like.

If you need full productivity on the go, I wouldn't hesitate over purchasing these. The time you will free up for yourself is worth the price. Hope this helps your purchasing decision.
review image
on March 5, 2017
I have BOTH the USB 3.0 ("B") and USB C ("C")versions of this monitor, and it might be difficult reading through some of the reviews because you will see conflicting information - IMO, these should be three completely separate products on Amazon, each with their own set of reviews, but because they are mixed, it might be hard to figure out when people are talking about what you are interested in.

First things first, since it's the first thing out of the package, the cases for these ARE DIFFERENT. The C version of the case is a LOT better, more adjustable, and not nearly as flimsy as a stand as the B version. In both cases, however, while they make great covers/protectors, they both make lousy stands. I do not see how it will tip over on it's own if you set it up correctly, but with desk space at a premium, the bases take up an awful large amount of space for what they are doing. I travel and often work in a production trailer, and simply do not have the luxury of that kind of space, but even on my desk at home, I can push my laptop back to give me a lot of working room, while this ASUS monitor needs to be much closer, and then my viewing distances to the screens don't match. A separate stand is recommended if you need to use less desk space.

The displays on both versions of the monitor are really quite good - probably better than most cheaper laptop screens, but not nearly as good as the best laptop screens. To be fair, the Dell I use has a UHD display, not a fair comparison. The "B" version screen that I'm using with my ACER Aspire is probably better than the built in display.

Both of my laptops already had the displaylink drivers installed, so the monitors both worked without any additional installs. The "B" version does come with a disk, while the "C" version does not - presumably, if your laptop is good enough to take advantage of the "C" version, it's probably not necessary. In both cases I'm using Windows 10, and the disc that came with the "B" version complained the driver wouldn't work with my OS, and directed me to go to the displaylink website anyway, so it was rather pointless.

Not only are the ports on each monitor different, the controls are, also. The "B" version, as far as I can figure out, has only an on/off switch and brightness settings. The "C" version has menus that give a lot more options, including contrast and other features. There's no real documentation on how to use it, so it took me a while to figure it out (and I still can't really figure out more than brightness and contrast). The menu button for the "C" version is kind of awkward to use - a rotary push button.

So now down to the display - this applies to both. As I've mentioned, the display is actually pretty good. At it's maximum brightness, it's probably not as bright as I would like, but it's more than acceptable. I played Netflix on it, and didn't notice any lags or tearing. I did not try any games, as I use my main desktop for games and don't really play a lot on the laptop. If I was going to play CSGO, I'd use the laptop display anyway.

The view angle is decent. Never as wide as you'd like, but comparable to most laptop screens (and actually even better than my ACER).

I'm really glad I got this - I travel a lot for work, and use graphics software that has a separate output window, and trying to work both within the software screens and see the output at the same time really sucks with one monitor. As a programmer, it's also quite nice to have more screen real estate while working on the road - but even when I'm at home and using the laptop to work on my porch or someplace other than my desk.

For the record, the "C" version is going to be very picky about what it works with. It does NOT work with the USB C port on the ACER, it does work with the Dell XPS. The "B" version works with either one, so if you're looking for broader compatibility, the "B" version is a better choice. The "C" version has a better case and controls, and theoretically (although I couldn't tell in my limited use so far) faster refreshes. Like I said, though, I played Netflix on both and they both looked fine to me. If you know the "C" version will work with your laptop (C with alternate modes capable of display port), and you don't plan on using it on anything else, the "C" might be a better option.

EDIT: I do notice that the colors are not quite perfect. Red looks more orange on my "B" monitor. As far as I can tell, there is no way to calibrate it, not even a little - the only control is brightness. Not a deal breaker for me.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2017
These ASUS portable monitors are outstanding. I have two of them. I used the 169B, non-IPS version for a long time but could not easily get the viewing angle just right so that I could see both this and my laptop screen well when using either the provided case/stand, or an aftermarket stand. To solve the problem, I bought this IPS version which does indeed fix the viewing angle issue. Better still, buy the MountEra Side Mount Clip which holds the monitor at a perfect angle to view. Now I can use both extra monitors and the main laptop display with all of them perfectly visible at the same time.
review image
on August 1, 2016
 I needed an extra display for my 2010 17" MacBook Pro, and I ended up testing this MB169B+(USB3) display on several Mac laptops I have around. You will need to download the driver for Mac, which you find on the provided CD. Thereafter the display connects and functions without problem via ONE USB2 port - that's correct, in my hands this display does not need USB3, nor does it need a double USB connection for sufficient power. In addition, it is possible to connect two of these displays (for a 3 display setup, including the original laptop display) via one USB2 connection for each display. I attach a video where I connected 2 of these displays to an old 2009 13" MacBook (Aluminum unibody, 4GB RAM), and ran two Quicktime videos at the same time - as my video shows, this appears to work nicely. So this display (in 2 and 3 display setup) worked fine on the 2009 13" MacBook and my 2010 17" MacBookPro (both are USB2). The display is not as bright as the Mac display, but I can control brightness with the controls on the side of the display. For my purposes (increase monitor real estate for a trading platform while traveling) the display(s) work(s) nicely.

Now, where I ran into some problems was when I connected the display to a 2013 13" MacBookPro (which does have USB3). One display connected without problems, and I could play 2 videos, one on each display. However, I could not share an application window between 2 displays, the part that moved into the new display would just disappear. The 3 display setup did not work at all. I am sure there will be a trick I am not aware off to solve this problem - if anybody knows the answer, please comment and let us know! It is striking that in my hands, the MacBook with USB3 had problems, while the older USB2 MacBooks worked fine.

The carrying case/stand is good for carrying, but pretty basic as a stand. There are plenty of adjustable and more stable tablet stands available here on Amazon for around $10, which will work much better to allow adjusting the viewing angle and protect the display from toppling over.

UPDATE Dec 2016: I recently upgraded my 2010 17" Mac Book Pro with a USB3.0 Expresscard to run a 3 monitor setup with 2 of these displays connected via USB3 (the USB2 was a bit laggy for 2 external monitors). The 2 displays needed an externally powered USB3 hub to get enough juice in this specific Mac Expresscard setup. Again, like in the 2013 MacBook, running these displays through USB3 does not allow you to share one application window in several screens, while connecting the displays via USB2 does allow sharing application windows. However, I can easily generate 3 different application windows and place them in the 3 different displays, so for my needs these displays work perfectly fine. Also, carrying the 2 displays in a normal-sized backpack is not a problem when traveling.
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 13, 2016
Mine was purchased from "Amazon.com LLC" and while it was inside a larger box that was sealed the actual product package was already opened.
There were finger prints on the device and the power cable bag was cut open. The case that comes with it and instructions were still sealed.

Bad news for Surface Pro 3 owners (and apparently some laptop owners).
Product descriptions says this on Amazon and Asus' specification page:
- 15.6-inch Full HD portable USB-powered monitor with a single USB 3.0 cable for power and data transmission
- The MB169B+ is backwards compatible with a notebook or desktop PC USB 2.0 port. Please note: USB 2.0 connection may affect brightness settings and image quality.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see that it specifies that it will "only" work on "some" USB 3.0 devices. So to be clear this "DOES NOT" work on a Surface Pro 3 native USB 3.0 port (and some laptops as other reviews have stated). It will work however if you purchase a USB hub that supplies enough power. I have an Anker USB 3.0 hub with 12V / 5A AC, which apparently is enough. Or you could get a Y cable and try and plug it into the power adapter of the SP3 (I have not tried this since I had a hub). In any case if it says it can work on USB 3.0 and 2.0 I expect it to, and this does not. It loses a lot of it's portability if you have to carry a hub with you all the time as well.

Additional info:
When your past trying to figure out what can power this device it performs as expected. Colors and sharpness are average for such devices (though comparing it to the SP3 very desaturated, not as sharp, and 20% less bright) but you have to consider that the SP3 has one of the best LED LCD's on the market for mobile devices and costs more. Very slim and light weight for the size of the screen. Case is nice for a case but bad as a stand. Also can't attach power cable to case. The matted screen for me is preferred over the glass and highly reflective screen of the SP3

[Edit] With the Anker USB 3.0 you can power two of these both without a Y cable. Also unlike some have claimed that one has to be plugged into a native port on the device while the other can be through a hub, both can go through the Anker hub
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse