BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

ASUS MB168B 15.6" WXGA 1366x768 USB Portable Monitor
Size: 15.6-Inch|Style: WXGA, USB 3.0|Change

on October 17, 2015
Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a software developer, and work both on and off-site. When working in the office or at home I have a dual-monitor setup to complement my work-supplied laptop. But when I'm really on the road, or working in conference rooms or team coding sessions, I really began to feel constrained by the single monitor. It's just nice to be able to spread code out across several screens while working on interconnected code. Or to be able to have API documentation open on one screen while vim is going on the other. So I began to seek a solution that would provide me with dual-monitor luxury even while away from the traditional desk.

My requirements were:
* Must work with Ubuntu (Linux).
* Must not require an external power source.
* Should require only a single cable.
* Must be close to the same screen dimensions as my laptop (15.6")
* Must be close to the same resolution as my laptop (1920x1080)
* Must be lightweight.
* Must fit into my laptop bag and backpack alongside my laptop.

This unit fit all of those needs perfectly.

There are several caveats that if understood ahead of time will help potential buyers make a good decision. First, it's designed for Windows 7 or newer, or Mac OS-X. But it also works with Ubuntu by downloading the DisplayLink driver from the DisplayLink website. Some Ubuntu systems (particularly those built on 14.04LTS) will require a kernel update too. And under Ubuntu the auto-rotate capability is not functional. In fact, with current drivers, it only works in landscape mode. I haven't tried overriding the basic settings with xrandr or xrotate. It's possible that a little more experimentation would enable portrait mode, which may come in handy for coders who like to do horizontal splits.

This is a USB 3 device. I tried it with USB 2 as well, but that required being connected through a powered hub. Similarly, even though my other monitors have USB 3 ports in them, they don't supply enough power on their own to power this unit. But driven directly by USB 3 ports on my laptop (AC or battery powered), or the docking station, it works great. If your USB 3 ports aren't capable of supplying sufficient power, though, you may need a powered hub.

The color is good, though not identical to my laptop. I haven't investigated calibration options because it's close enough, and good enough for what I need. The brightness setting works as designed, and the screen is plenty bright. My laptop's color doesn't match my full size monitors either (dual 27" Dell's at work, and dual 24" Asus's at home), and that really doesn't bother me.

The screen is crisp and sharp. And it renders 1920x1080 just as I had hoped. I expected to see some lag, but I don't detect any. The mouse moves across the screen smoothly.

The carrying case that comes with it is perfect for carrying the monitor and for protecting it. And reasonably good for serving the second purpose of monitor stand. But I ordered a tablet stand to use instead, and like that better.

The monitor's build quality is nice. it is slender, light, pretty, and sufficiently robust. It doesn't have a "cheap-o" feel.

Recently I plugged the monitor into my laptop at the same time that the laptop was docked, driving my dual 27 inch Dell monitors, and I was almost surprised to discover that it all worked fine. Including the laptop's own screen, I had four monitors going in all, working as a single extended desktop. Combined with Ubuntu's virtual desktops, the space was really liberating.

So if you need a 15.6" portable monitor at 1920x1080 to use alongside your laptop, this is great. Be prepared to use USB 3, and to use a compatible operating system. If you prefer dual-monitors, even on the go, this is hard to beat for the price.
2424 comments| 248 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2016
It works amazingly. I can finally travel anywhere and be just as productive as in my office. Please check out the pictures below. I highly recommend this setup using the Sidecar attachment to attach the screen to your laptop. Reasons?

1) The least utilized space is the space right above your laptop screen.
2) This setup has the smallest footprint, as small as your laptop alone. It leaves table space for your notepad, coffee, books, and other things.
3) It's good for posture. The 2nd screen is at eye level so you can look right ahead.

If you're interested in this setup, everything you need is right here for a total $220. Please note I am not selling any of this, nor am I connected in any way with any of the sellers. I just wanted to share a setup that is working wonderfully for me. Cheers

USB screen: $180

sidecar to attach screen to any laptop: $25

hinge to support laptop: $4

velcro strip to attach hinge to laptop: $5

rubber spray to rubberize hinge tip for extra traction: $6
review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2013
As an external auditor, I travel from client to client. As such, I was looking for a lightweight portable monitor. Well, I can easily say I found it. This monitor does just what I need it to. It is very portable and easy to set up, no matter where I am working. I even set this monitor up while I am cuddled up on the couch studying for the CPA exam. This portable monitor easily enables me to increase productivity and comfort while working with multiple applications. To top it off, the monitor is Mac compatible (just install displayLink) driver and viola! All and all a great addition to my tech inventory.

Note: The USB connection at the monitor is not the best connection, minor jostling will cause the cable to become slightly disconnected. This is a minor irritation and not worth lowering my overall rating. I just want other buyers to be aware of this flaw. All you have to do is re secure the connection and things are right again.
55 comments| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2016
I loved the idea of getting a portable monitor… Then I actually got one. This ASUS monitor is amazing!!! I can’t say enough about the light weight, perfect picture/color and sleek design. But the thing I like the most and also the reason I bought it was for ease of use. I no longer have to drag out a monitor to have duel screens; it sits in my desk drawer until I need an extra monitor with my laptop.

I am also a programmer and screen real-estate is very important to me. I have had this for about four months now and have already taken it to a conference, several long meetings and a three day training session. Just one more plus about it is the USB 3 models don’t use external power, I cannot stress enough that this feature alone is great.

The ASUS MB169B+ that I bought comes with a case that is sturdy and not at all cheap; by this I mean that I have had it for about four months now and it really has no sign of wear yet. And, as for usage, I use this monitor about three to four times a week and return it back to the case after every use.

After seeing the quality and performance of this portable monitor I am now thinking of looking at getting one of their laptops. ASUS seems to make really quality stuff, well monitors anyway.

It has worked flawlessly for me but if it ever gives up on me I will surely buy another ASUS. I would buy it again and I would recommend it to anyone.
review image review image review image review image
on June 29, 2016
This works great with the right USB-C (using with Skull Canyon NUC). Stand case is a little wonky, but usable. The back of the monitor feels flimsy and nearly hollow, we'll see how long it lasts. Beautiful image quality, decent viewing angles.
Do not believe the 'first look' reviews, which are nearly all of the articles and videos on this so far. The Asus rep at the Jan 2016 shows, must have told every person who filmed for their websites misinformation. They all mentioned that this could also work with USB 3.0 with an adapter. It will not. Asus themselves set up a Q&A page. Here is one answer.

"Q4: Is MB169C+ backward compatible with USB2.0/3.0 devices?

A: No. All current USB2.0/3.0 devices do not enable “DP Alt Mode” or “DisplayPort over USB-C” and therefore cannot connect to MB169C+"

So make sure you have a DP Alt Mode USB-C and you'll be golden, with zero drivers needed. Otherwise avoid.
on February 25, 2017
I was looking for a portable monitor since I sometimes work on the weekends. I like to pack up my gears and camp out at a cafe since I know I won't get anything done if I stay at home. Thus, I took the plunge and bought the Asus MB169B+.

The color quality is on par with my 2011 MacBook Air so I'm definitely satisfied in that aspect. It also doesn't look too bad with my older Dell work laptop as well. If you're used to using retina level displays then I'm not sure if you'll be happy with the picture quality. For my use, it's more than adequate. The monitor is very light and the included sleeve doubles as a stand. In the beginning I didn't mind, but the sleeve stand takes up a lot of room so I invested in a stand by Anker.

The monitor does lag at times and it's especially bad with the Dell laptop. I'll have an excel sheet opened on the monitor and everything will freeze and I won't be able to do anything for 5 minutes or so. Also, the monitor gets its power source from the laptop and sometimes it will not come out of sleep mode even though I keep pressing the power button. I'll have to unplug and replug it to work. It's not a hardship but still annoying.

Other than these minor annoyances, the monitor is perfect in every way. I was hesitant at first since I already have a 32 inch LG monitor but I have since put that away since I liked this monitor so much.

This monitor is definitely worth the buy.
on May 30, 2016
(Updated 06/01/17 - still 5 stars)
The USB port wore out from plugging/unplugging, and also suspect this was exacerbated by the cable-to-monitor connection getting bumped since it sticks out so much. I returned it to ASUS who honored their warranty quickly and sent me NIB monitor, complete with new USB cable and carrying case. A+++

(Original review 05/30/16 - 5 stars)
I bought this to use a second monitor while working remote for an extended time. It worked out of the box with a Surface Pro 3 Win8 Pro and a Lenovo Yoga 260 Win10 Pro, both direct from their respective USB 3.0 ports and from a USB hub. (Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub ASIN: B008ZGKWQI)

PROS:
- True 1080 P resolution.
- Worked out of the box, had no issues with setup.
- Screen size. Very usable.

CONS:
- Price. A little on the pricey side.
- Size (duh). It's a large screen for mobile use to make sure your bag can carry it and your laptop.
- The USB port makes the USB cable stick out. (warranty return)

Although pricey, it was so worth having the 2nd screen that's 1080P
on July 7, 2017
This monitor is great! It's light, portable and very crisp picture quality. I was nervous that the brightness was not going to be bright enough, but it worked well outside! I sat in the sun with sun glasses on and worked no problem. I have used it on a gaming laptop with usb-c and my surface pro 3 with usb 3.0. With no issues! I have to put a disclaimer on usb 3 .0 though. It requires a high power port, which the surface pro 3 does not have. To make up for that, you need to get a good USB hub. I just bought an Anker 10 Port hub where it has four ports that can push out 2.1 amps.

My only real complaint is the colors. I need to mess with them a bit more, but I noticed the colors are not quite as good as my laptop screen or other Asus monitors. I'm sure I just need to tweak them a bit, but honestly it's not off bad enough for me to not use it.

All in all, this is a perfect portable monitor for me. I'm a software developer and this is exactly what I was looking for.
on January 4, 2016
I hate to use superlatives such as "best" when talking about something this subjective, but I think this the best value USB monitor out there. The Lenovo ThinkVision LT1423p is an interesting product, and if you like the idea of touch screen it has some appeal--particularly since it's finally available and priced at $299 on Amazon. However, if you're looking for portable second screen to increase productivity, this is as good as it gets.

-the 1080P resolution with a 15" screen result gives enough real estate to give you split screen on it, effectively giving you three monitors
-the matte screen cuts down glare, making usable in almost any light
-IPS screen gives reasonable viewing angles
-light enough to pack with you at all times, but still seems pretty sturdy
-the protective sleeve works in a pinch as a stand. For full time use though, I'd recommend a stand such as the following: Anker Multi-Angle Aluminum Stand for Tablets, e-readers and Smartphones, Compatible with iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy / Tab, Google Nexus, HTC, LG, Nokia Lumia, OnePlus and More (Black) The angle when using the sleeve is a bit to upright for my tastes, and it's not adjustable.

Now to the potential "downsides": realize what you're buying here--a second monitor being powered by one USB cable.

-if you're running an older laptop, you may not get enough power from one USB port. That's a function of your machine, not the monitor.
-it's a bit wonky with Windows 10. You'll have to update some drivers to get it to work. Again, that's a Windows issue, not a problem with the monitor
-the brightness is a little less than some laptop monitors. My laptop is around 260 nits. I'm including a photo with both on full blast. Yes, the ASUS monitor is a bit less bright. That's the tradeoff to avoid having it drain your battery completely. It's still useable in almost any light conditions due to the matte screen, and bright enough for most any situation.

Bottom line, this is a portable USB monitor, and there are going to be some trade-offs. If you can't live with them, but a free-standing monitor with its own power supply.

The IPS panel used seems to be of very good quality-no backlight bleeding or image retention (the fact that it's not super bright helps there as well). There were no dead pixels. While the viewing angles aren't quite as good as some stand-alone IPS monitors, it's a big improvement over the MB 168 and it's worth the upgrade. All in all, this is great buy.
review image
on September 21, 2017
I work remote and mostly from home with quad monitors. After Irma in C. Florida power was a problem and I had to relo to a hotel without multiple monitors for work.

I'd already purchased this based on strong reviews. it arrived a few days before Irma but I didn't like the length and the "wiggliness" of the stock cable. During testing the signal to the monitor would flake and the image would pixelate even though windows detection of the cable seemed to go well. I didn't like the short run of the stock cable so order an amazon basics usb3 cable which did the job. If cable comes loose use device detection to re-detect monitor connection.

Pros: Amazingly lightweight, excellent protective case
Cons: weak short cable, buy a good quality spare, even the quality usb3 cable can dislodge when bumped due to the port placement. Monitor case is supposed to work as a stand, but doesn't do well, buy a tablet stand or folding tablet "easel" instead, it will work perfectly.