Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 584 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 619 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 24, 2016
I had tried several method to power up my Nexus 7 first generation. The power plug stopped working. The chargers uses the gold side pogo-pins to power up the tablet and it works great. It angles the tablet were it won't fall and stays snug (just don't bump it otherwise it might fall). It takes between 1 1/2 to 2 hours to fully charge. To use the charger all you have to do is angle the tablet were the gold pogo-pins are touching the inside push mechanism inside the charger. Great product and saved me from throwing away a good tablet. I have been using this for almost 2 years and it still works.
review image
on May 29, 2013
After being disappointed the USB/charging port on the bottom of my Nexus 7 tablet became damaged, I was planning to buy a new I/O controller assembly and repair it myself, when my wife and I found this product.
It uses the perhaps not-well-known electrodes on the side of the tablet for charging the battery.

The tablet fits in it well and stably, and the dock also includes a 2.5mm / 1/8 inch headphone jack.

I paid $5 less than retail, whatever the retail price was. Although the product works very well, I feel like Asus is doing an "Apple" and soaking people for this product, when it is known the USB/charging cable is not very robust and has had issues.
on May 16, 2013
For one, I didn't know Amazon was selling these (the official ones). I've been staring at a "sold out" page on the Google Play store for months just to find out I could have it in 2 days with no tax...

Anyways, the unit is pretty nice. It comes in a nice Nexus style box and seems relatively well built. It's got a pretty decent bit of heft to it as well so you don't have to worry about it tipping and what not.

Also, just to make a point. This uses the pogo pins on the side of the Nexus 7. Just like the Galaxy Nexus these are meant for one purpose...audio media and charging. There is no HDMI, you will not be able to transfer USB data, etc. This is simply a well built glorified charger that lets you see the screen (and if you want, hook to a home stereo I guess...).

Personally, I use it to take advantage of the Daydream feature. It has come to replace my ancient iHome alarm clock but I seem to prefer to use it as a digital picture frame (on steroids). You can pick your Picasa album (or local photos) and just have it cycle through them.

So lets break it down. You can get a Nexus 7 for sub-$200 now. The dock will probably bring you up to $200. That's on par with the WiFi digital picture frames you can buy here on Amazon. So for maybe like $20 more you get...better resolution, a full tablet, every storage service you might need, and whatever else you can find an App for. The only real downside is you'll need to keep it plugged in.

Pros:
- Heavy
- Rubber gripped bottom.
- Nice construction. Matches the whole Nexus design.

Cons:
- No HDMI.
* The USB port on the N7 supports MHL so Google could have done something with it. Would have probably made it a nice addition to home theaters for some.

Other:
- I see $30 as perfectly reasonable. Remember, this isn't plastic and doesn't require anything plugged in. It uses the pogo pins.
- No charger. Could be a bit of a pain if you're using the provided N7 chord (it's kind of short).
Pricey, but it is the only way to utilize the Nexus pins, which is nice. It holes devices from being pushed backwards, but it does not hold are well if tipped forward. So be careful of that.

I picked this up on sale, and it has been a helpful tool to use with the Nexus ever since. Especially to avoid those god-awful cables/ports they use. I rather use mine for data and an external wifi device anyway, so I cannot charge through the bottom most times.
on September 7, 2014
I like this product, and it can certainly be useful. I got this to serve as an alternative charger since my original charging port broke. This is apparently a common problem with this device, so instead of buying a new one, I decided to use this as an alternative. the new generation Asus Nexus tablets seem to have a more robust port. This station, though, seems to serve many uses. It keeps my tablet upright, supplies outlets for speakers, and charges my tablet well. The drawback is that the tablet often comes disconnected. It should snap or secure in place somehow. I'll often walk away and return to find that my tablet wasn't in the station all the way, and there fore did not charge. It also might charge at first and then come out of the station.

I really like the look and feel of the station. It's very formal, well-built, and looks and feels nice.

The package appeared as though it had been opened when it arrived. Perhaps this was used? If so, the product should be labeled as such.
on December 3, 2014
A necessary evil to the poorly designed 2012 Nexus 7 by Asus. The USB ports to this older version Nexus 7 (pushed by Google, too) were very poor in design and failed very frequently (just search for 'USB port for old Nexus 7' to see how many vendors are offering a replacement). Unfortunately, if you don't want to crack open the tablet and perform a little surgery to fix the bad USB port, Asus offered this Docking station at the same time they sold the older Nexus 7. Ironically, they stopped selling the dock too about the same time (which is too bad because at the time it sold for around $30). Now you have to search regularly for these now desired docks (sometimes as much as $90).

The dock itself works great. I believe the side charging posts (on this dock) charge quicker than trouble USB port did (when it worked). Just a word of warning, what you see is what you get. This dock will not come with a wall charger or mini-USB cord (the manufacturer assumed you use the one that came with Nexus 7 - and the cord didn't melt with the faulting USB port). Chargers and cords are inexpensive (and most folks already have this -- or they wouldn't be looking for this dock anyway).

Haven't tried the Audio jack option on this dock (but believe it to work as promised). Again, was looking for a quick fix to charge the tablet. Otherwise, this dock requires a bare Nexus 7 tablet. In other words, if you have a protective cover on your tablet, you'll have to remove it prior to docking the unit.
on November 18, 2013
The Achilles heel of the original Nexus 7 is the weak MicroUSB connector. Many users have had trouble with the connector not properly holding the USB cable, which means that you can no longer charge the tablet. Replacements for the connector are costly.

This dock comes to the rescue. It connects to the tablet using a set of small pins on the tablet body, so you get a connection that doesn't wear out. The dock is heavy enough to stand up securely. A bonus: when you put the Nexus 7 in the dock, it automatically switches to a clock display. (If you don't want the display you can press the power button to put the tablet back into standby.) You can also route audio to the dock and plug in a set of speakers using the 3.5mm audio jack on the dock.

You can't use the dock to transfer data; you still need the MicroUSB connection for that. But if your MicroUSB port is still functional but intermittent, using the dock to charge the tablet lets you keep the USB connection for the times you need to transfer data to or from the tablet.

Google is no longer selling the dock directly so get it here while you can!

Note: this dock is only for the original 2012 Nexus 7. It will not work with the 2013 Nexus 7 with Full HD display. The package does not include a charger or charging cable; you use the ones that came with your tablet or suitable replacements.
on November 19, 2014
This was lovely - for the first month. Paid $30 for this when my Nexus ( owned 18 months) had the charging port crap out, which I have read is extremely common with this tablet. All I needed this for was a charger, so I didn't care that it didn't come with another cord ( I had one) or the sound, angle, anything else. I bought it as a charging dock and that's it. Sadly, after literally 30 days, it stopped working - completely. Prices are now in the $60 range - because Nexus came out with a new version of their tablet ( of which I would never own another - loved it at first. but had to but 6 charging cords at $15 a pop, then the port gave way WTH?) Anyway, all I can share is my experience - and at $1 a day, not at all worth it. Can't believe how hard it is to find well-made electronics these days.
on September 27, 2013
As others have mentioned, the Nexus 7 sits lightly into this cradle, and often seems to give the appearance that it's not engaging the pins. I'm not 100% convinced this is truly a hardware/contact issue. Currently I'm more inclined to think that this is really more of a Google/Nexus software problem - that the Nexus OS is simply trying and failing to grapple with a docking/undocking scenario.

Regardless of this fact, it's only a slight issue ranking somewhere between "no bother at all" and "I've a mosquito buzzing around my head". This is to say - it's not really a bother to simply pickup and reset the corner when it occasionally fails to kick off the clock.

I think that a positive "clicking" or "snapping" mechanism might improve things though. If there were some resistance that had to be overcome to drop the Nexus into it's slot, that would give folks the tactile response to assure them that their tablet was correctly inserted. This wouldn't improve the software glitch at all, but it would make folks feel better about interfacing their tiny tablet into this Nexus dock.

Solves a problem - nice clean design - works for me!
on December 20, 2013
My Nexus 7 (2012) usb port was loose. It had gotten to the point that I had to put pressure on the cable at a certain angle to get it to charge. Leaving it plugged in overnight wasn't an option anymore. Thankfully, the pogo pins on the side of the Nexus 7 offered a great solution. Because there are no plugs to insert, I feel like there is little to worry about in regards to wear and tear.

This lead me to the Nexus 7 dock. I needed an alternative to charge my Nexus 7 and my warranty was already up. I was disappointed I had to spend about $30 for a dock that only charges and connects to 3.5mm audio. It feels like something at this price-point should do more, but it's physically impossible. There are only 4 pins on the Nexus 7 that would allow for this dock to connect. I'm assuming they are left audio, right audio, power, and ground. There isn't a connection for any other form of communication, so this won't be a replacement for transferring data between the tablet and a PC.

The dock itself works great for what it is. It is heavier than it looks and heavier than it probably should be for the features it offers, but I would guess the weight is to help keep the dock fixed to one place and from tipping. Since it doesn't move much, the weight is fine. In fact, I'd rather have something weighted than hollow and light for this purpose. If it were too light, my tablet might be on the floor more often than I'd like to imagine. The groove for the Nexus 7 fits perfectly, there is no need to slide the tablet around or find the sweet spot to charge. It fits one way and only one way, making contact every time without effort. It charges quickly too, but I doubt much faster than the standard charger.

Because I have no need for the 3.5mm audio connection, I haven't tested this. It should work fine and sound great as it's a direct connection to the tablet. Because I have no need for this feature and the lack of features of something like this, I feel I over paid for something I was just required to buy if I wanted to continue using my Nexus.

P.S. I need to mention that the dock will not hold a Nexus 7 in a case. The tablet needs to be removed from the case prior to docking.