Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 108 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 121 reviews
on August 13, 2013
I love Asus, and most know that they create quality computers. A side note, my cousin's fiance has been working at Best Buy for five years as a part of the Geek Squad and informed me about the best computers on the market (Asus being one of those top brands). I also own a larger, 15.6-inch Asus laptop. My reason for purchasing this laptop is for the upcoming school year; I wanted something light, portable, sufficient memory, and multi-functional. I am a software engineer, so I wanted something that I could use for coding, as well as for taking notes in other classes. This computer is brilliant. I have been using it for hours and am entirely satisfied. A $400 laptop that is sleek, light, touch-screen, lots of memory, and efficient? Sold. The model of this computer is very appealing and couldn't ask for any better. No bulging battery, looks similar to an Apple computer. I love it and am looking forward to bringing this all over campus! If you need a computer to bring wherever you go, buy this computer! I've also noticed that it goes for around $500 on other online stores and nearly $700 at Walmart. Don't let the price on Amazon deceive you for this quality computer! :)

Also, those 1-star reviews are bogus and hurt the overall scoring on the computer. One is a lady complaining about a computer that doesn't work (not the actual, working computer); the other ranting about how she detests Asus. If you want lousy plastics and sub-par hard drives, buy an HP or Dell!
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2013
UPDATE: 10/19/2013 - Okay, so I've had this thing for a WHILE now, and I wanted to update this review. So here we go!

My ASUS G750JX-DB71 came with a 256GB SSD and I went to swap it out with my 480GB SSD that I put in my old G74SX. When I took out the G750's SSD, I realized it was a 7mm SSD, which fits PERFECTLY in the X202E. This thing boots up in just a few seconds, and now it even comes out of standby faster. With the 500GB HDD (that came with it), there would be times when you had Chrome open (with a few tabs) and you wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING for a little bit. When you look down, you'd see the HDD light staying SOLID... Not even flashing or hesitating. After the slow stock hdd calmed down, then the computer would be responsive again. You do NOT have those problems with an SSD! Whenever it's reading from the hard drive or when the ram is full (because of to many open tabs and applications), it pulls from the SSD. But it's so fast, that it doesn't slow you down at all! If you google me "wwjoshdew", I'll have a video on how to open this thing up and put an SSD in it. Remember, it HAS to be a 7mm SSD, a 9mm one won't fit. I HIGHLY recommend the one linked to below!

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW

With a USB 3.0 flash drive combined with an SSD, you can transfer files at over 200MB/s to the Patriot Supersonic Magnum flash drive!
Patriot Supersonic Magnum 64 GB Flash Drive - Black (PEF64GSMNUSB)

Also, I updated my X202E to Windows 8.1 really easily by visiting the store from my X202E and simply pressing download... Installation was easy, pain free, and all of my programs and files survived the update just fine. Plus I'm pretty sure it starts up faster now (I disabled hiberation and quick stat up. NOT NEEDED with an SSD!)

My ONLY Complaint with this thing is that when you have power save enabled (it turns it on when you reboot), you KNOW it's on... It's slower and YouTube videos stutter and pause so freaking much. Turn on performance mode, and 1080p YouTube videos look and play good. I also recommend uninstall power4gear hybrid and installing the latest version (3.0.5 as I type this review). Some of the programs and drivers have updates OUT OF THE BOX!

ALSO, Google a tool called "ASUS Backtracker" if you plan on upgrading to an SSD! It will take your recovery partition from your HDD and copy it to a 16GB Flash Drive. I recommend doing that ASAP and putting that flash drive in the box that your X202E came with, so that you know where it is if your HDD dies, or if you want to upgrade to an SSD and need to reinstall Windows 8.

MY INITIAL REVIEW IS BELOW!

I'm actually typing this review from the laptop. So far I'm impressed. I opened it up (If you search "wwjoshdew", I posted high resolution photos on Twitter) and the hard drive is easy to replace, but the ram is SOLDERED in! You can clearly see that in the pictures. I can't post a link, but on my Twitter I tweeted a link to an imgur album with several photos. 4GB is okay I guess. I'm going to be putting this 120GB Vertex 3.20 SSD in it and if the computer ever needs to read/write from the hard drive because all of the ram is used up, it will be really quick and you probably won't notice it.

The touchscreen feels GREAT! I review the latest Android smartphones and tablets, and let me tell you... I have many tablets and phones (all touchscreen) and I feel RIGHT AT HOME using this ASUS X202E-DB1T.

The fact that you can't upgrade the ram is a little disappointing, but if you upgrade to an SSD, you probably won't notice a difference (goes back to the whole reading/writing to the insanely fast SSD if the ram is full).

Usually I make it towards my computer doesn't go to sleep when I close the lid, but there is literally only a two second (or so) gap in between opening the lid, and being able to "swipe up" on the screen to use it like you were before closing the lid. So I think I'll keep it this way and only make it NOT do that when it's plugged in (under advanced power options and close lid options).

So far I'm very impressed and love this thing! I don't find myself using the track pad at all! And there is no need to carry around a mouse, because touching the screen is way faster and more convenient than using a mouse or track pad.

I'm on my very first charge, so I'll update this review as time goes on and after I put this SSD in it and clone/restore the internal hard drive that's in this thing.

07/31/2013 UPDATE: I'll need to kill it and charge it a few more times to give you accurate battery life. I just installed Steam and loaded MW3... Without changing ANY settings, it played pretty smoothly! (youtube.com/watch?v=-7dygM0Bk5Y&hd=1)

The SD Card slot is cool. Usually laptops suck the whole card in it, this one it sticks out. So no worrying about the mechanism breaking and not being able to get your sd card out.

This thing only picks up my 2.4Ghz network, NOT my 5Ghz network. Plus the ethernet port is 100Mbps, BUT it has a USB 3.0 port, so Plugable's USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter will get you a FULL 1Gbps link speed! (I have 120 Down and 25 Up with Comcast. I'm able to pull 116 Down EASILY with the USB 3.0 port and Plugable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter)

For 399, you have to settle somewhere. Plus there are USB 3.0 docks (Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station for Windows 8, 7, XP (DVI, VGA, or HDMI to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 4A AC Power Adapter)) that let you use that USB 3.0 port to it's full potential! Gigabit Ethernet, extra USB 3.0 and 2.0 Ports, DVI, HDMI, audio, and etc. I'm not complaining at all! This thing was worth it to me.
99 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2013
I bought a light portable laptop that i could use for college. I will say that this a perfect laptop for a budgeting college student. The mouse pad is the perfect size, its not too small and not big enough to get in the way when you type! The Touch Screen is flawless and works great. The windows 8 interface and touch screen work really well together when reading my college Ebooks. young college freshman that are wanting a hybrid laptop for gaming and school, do not get this laptop. This laptop is strictly for business use only, it is not a gaming machine.
on October 17, 2013
I did a lot of research before purchasing this computer. I am not a computer nerd and what I do know, I've learned on my own over the past several years. Here are my thoughts: Yes, Windows 8 is a definite learning curve. I've slowly worked my way through it over the past few weeks and am getting more comfortable each day although I don't really like it. As for the Computer: It does exactly what it is supposed to. It is small enough to carry around and is light-weight.
I have had 2 issues with having to push the power-up button more than once to get it to come up from the shut down mode, but most of the time it starts up almost immediately. If you are in your 50's or above, please note the screen size is small, therefore reading is small from the standard screen. However with a couple of fingers you can spread it out to be the size you want. I really like this feature! The mouse is taking me the longest to get used to. It can be a little tricky at times because I'm used to using 2 fingers (moving and clicking) and this one is just different. I do find myself starting to use the touch screen more, just because it is easier than the mouse. I believe most of the issues I face have to do with Windows 8 and the apps rather than the computer itself. I am very satisfied with this computer and I believe the $400.00 + price was well within reason. I've owned this now for around a month.
on September 23, 2013
EDIT (2 months later): After consistent (every day) use over the course of 2 months, I cannot praise this thing enough. It is the PERFECT college laptop. It's so light I've forgotten it's on my back. The speed hasn't changed one bit and the battery life is phenomenal (4+ hours). If you take good care of your machine and consider purchasing a wireless mouse since the touchpad can be a bit wonky, you will fall in love with this thing.

EDITED EDIT: Disregard my (now deleted) webcam comments. It DOES in fact have microphone capabilities, but it just didn't work for me for some reason before.

-----------

This laptop was exactly what I was looking for. I previously had a 15 inch, nearly 7 pound laptop that was just a nightmare to have to bring around campus. This ASUS x202e is very portable and light (just 3 pounds). The battery life is solid (around 5 hours using a slightly dimmed display) and the thing boots quickly. It's only 1.9 GHz processor so you won't be able to do a ton with this thing, but it accomplishes exactly what I need which is getting work done for college classes (Youtube help, Excel spreadsheets, writing papers, etc). This is NOT a gaming laptop. You could theoretical try simpler games such as Minecraft or Terraria, but I still wouldn't say that is the purpose of this machine.

The touchscreen is neat, even if I find myself not using it very often. It was just something I played around with for a little bit at first. Windows 8 is pretty annoying, but I guess you can get used to it depending on your preference.

My only gripe is the extra large touchpad. I disable it automatically when I have a mouse plugged in because it can get in the way of typing a lot of the time. It also is a bit odd in terms of its functionality. It doesn't have the greatest tap-to-click response. The buttons for left and right click also aren't a "defined button" where they are separate from the cursor moving portion. Instead, you could still move the cursor while sliding across the buttons. Something to get used to I suppose, but it's just worth mentioning.

Anyway, touchpad flaws aside, this laptop is absolutely fantastic for the on-the-move college student (or anyone else traveling) who doesn't want to spend too much money on a larger, more expensive laptop. It boots quick, has great battery life, and is very lightweight, making it ideal for accomplishing routine tasks. I did a lot of research before making a purchase and I'm glad I chose this one. I would definitely recommend it.
on November 8, 2013
Nice computer. Here is why I chose the Asus: I wanted a chance to try out windows 8. Wanted an 11 inch screen. Wanted something inexpensive, as computers become obsolete so quickly. At under 400 bucks on amazon, this computer delivers. I don't care that battery is not removable or that it is set at 4 gigs of RAM. Touch screen is good. Video streams smoothly. Speakers surprisingly good for what they are. Loaded my old windows programs (including Publisher 98!) I loaded office 2007 and it all works beautifully. What's not to like--(And it costs less than 400 bucks!).
Complaints? Don't care for the glossy screen which badly reflects light. I heard battery life not the greatest, but I'm usually plugged in. Truly, for $396.00 on Amazon, what is not to like? And, finally, easy and free upgrade to windows 8.1 allows me to boot right into regular desktop, creating an environment that is pleasing and familiar to me. I'd buy this computer again.
on October 11, 2013
Update: This computer will last longer on a charge if you charge it all the way and drain it completely once or twice. It will give about three hours on a charge that way or more depending on what you are doing on in.
I am in my first semester at college and needed a laptop. This was my first time getting one and I was a bit nervous but decided on this one because it was priced well and had good reviews and I am soooo glad that I did! I use this every day for hours a day and it fits my needs perfectly. If you want a small laptop that is light, easy to carry around, has a decent touch screen, runs smoothly and efficiently, is reliable, and is a killer deal than this is your computer:
Pros:
Touch screen works well
light and easy to carry
downloads apps and programs easily
keyboard types well without the keys sticking or jumping letters
completely low priced for the quality of computer
small enough to fit on a classroom desk easily and comfortably
screen quality is decent

Cons:
no five key pad on the side of the keyboard
screen is a little small but that is not a big deal if you are not using it for gaming

Summary: Amazing computer! If you are a college student buy it now!!!!!!!
on September 14, 2013
I got this laptop to replace my 15.4 inch Toshiba laptop and although this one is much smaller and it was a little difficult to get used to, it's great. I absolutely love it! I had to purchase it before I left for my first year of college and it arrived at my door on the first day of expected delivery, so that was very important to me. Overall it works for everything I need it to do. I am sad, however, that it doesn't have a DVD drive because I completely overlooked that fact when I was looking to purchase a laptop. But that can be easily solved by going out and buying an external DVD drive anyway. Anyway, I'm rambling, this laptop is small so it fits nicely in my backpack, and it holds a charge really nicely for me to go to my Psychology class and take notes on it for 2 and 1/2 hours with it!
on October 20, 2013
Bought this as a Birthday Gift for my son who is 10. I had previously bought a Gateway 15" laptop with Windows 8 for my wife, she hated it because Win 8 is just not functional without a touchscreen. This laptop has a touchscreen, which in my opinion is the only way Win 8 can be used.

Pros: good price, touchscreen, fast, lightweight, small charger, useable screen, good size keyboard, small general size, thin

Cons: didn't come with any kind of case, battery not easily replaceable, not obvious that it will be a great gaming pc (could not install MS Flight Simulator which he loves)

I don't know how long the battery lasts, we don't require extensive run times, so it lasts well enough for my sons use, but it's easily 2-3 hours.

Overall, this was a great purchase.
on October 24, 2013
The touch screen and touch pad are both very receptive on this. It is also VERY light. It feels lighter than my Toshiba Thrive tablet. I could carry it around while traveling long-distance without getting that pain in my shoulder that I get when carrying older and heavier computers for a long time.

The processor on this computer is definitely slower than the Intel i5 processor, but I knew that going in. If you want to game or do video processing or lots of image processing, you should spring for a better processor. This computer is good for my purposes (internet, Hulu, etc.)

It does not heat up.

It turns on really fast (instantly on).

The keyboard feels sturdy. The only thing I don't like is that one of the shift buttons is a little small, so I keep hitting the wrong key, but my hands will learn eventually.

If it has Bluetooth, it isn't obvious. There are some references to it, but no easy "turn on" button that I have found.