Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 19, 2013
Overall a very good phone. A solid choice for emergency situations. With an LED display panel to replace the LCD display, and battery backup, this phone would be PERFECT!
PROS: Makes and receives calls without AC current (during power failures).
Versatility - mounts on wall or sits on desktop.
Keeps directory stored numbers even during extended power loss.
Clear and comprehensive instructions in English.
Easy setup and programming.
Big buttons.
Speakerphone.
Digital answering machine.
10 Speed Dial storage.
Call Waiting/ Caller ID compatible.
Audio assist and hearing aid compatible.
Large 3.2"x 2" LCD display.

CONS: LCD display unreadable in low/moderate light conditions.
No battery backup for time/date.
No included line cord (short) for wall-mounting.
Only basic phone functions work during power loss.
I'd recommend this phone to anyone who does not own a corded phone in their home.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on July 26, 2010
First off, if you want to hang this phone on the wall, forget about it. The non-backlit display is just NOT readable in that position. On the desk, it's just fine - nice big display and easy to read. Just don't hang it on the wall. Plenty of memories, and self-alphabetizing, too. Hidden trick is that you can force any entry to the top of the list by entering a blank before you enter the name. Being able to enter a name in addition to a number is a good feature. I wonder if the 19 minutes of recoding time is enough, but mine is in a residence and it should be more than adequate. Why don't they just include a slot where you can insert a card? Audio quality is good. Programming isn't too difficult, but don't lose the manual! It just went in yesterday, so I can't address reliability.

So, here's a suggestion to phone makers: Add a slot for, say, an SD card. Create a form to go on the web where you could program all memories speed dial names and numbers, and also override all the presets on the phone. Then write to the card, and stick it in the phone, eliminating a hour or more work -- plus provide a backup in the event of accidental erasure of a number, which is easy to do on this phone.

My phone has an interesting quirk - if a call comes in from a number that's in the phone's memory, it dials the DTMF number after you pick up the receiver, over the call.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on January 25, 2017
Somewhat poorly designed menues and button operations. You better be good at technical devices or this phone may drive you nuts programming in numbers, or even just using it day to day.
on July 9, 2011
Some pros, some cons. The big screen and big buttons are nice. Recording the caller ID information is nice. Audio assist, mute and speaker phone are very useful, as are the multiple sound level controls.

Not nice: no battery backup (so you lose your programming with any power outage), non-intuitive programming commands (don't lose the manual!), and a delay when you press the number buttons. Also, my first one had defective speakerphone, so it and the message replay were garbled. Amazon fixed that very quickly by sending a new one pronto, but I still had to return it. All in all, I would say it is decent for the price.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on July 21, 2013
Phone is great, so I ordered a second one (hoarder) so I will always have a second ready when this one wears out, if it does, or I will hook it up and have two phones in the house instead of just one?
There is a male digital voice who has done everything for you, answers your messages, tells you when there are no messages, and has a message to in coming callers that alleviates me having to do it. Nice tone to his voice.
There is a volume control for playback speaker; a volume control for the receiver audio and a volume control for the ringer volume. That is so cool, and they all works, and they slide by finger, not by punching a dial to raise or lower the volume.
It is all the new technology made to ape the good old technology, if you know what I mean.
on August 11, 2011
I bought this phone from Amazon at a good price about 15 months ago. When I first got this CL-4939 most everything was working OK. After a few months it would not mark the correct date and time for the answering functon. Then the receiver for the hand-set seemed to get "sticky" ,that is, when you picked it up to answer a call you had to jiggle the disconnect button ( a.k.a. switch-hook ) under the hand-set to get the line to make the connection so that the caller and I could hear each other. Next, when making calls, I had difficulty getting a dial-tone when using the hand-set. This forced me to rely mainly on the speaker-phone. Now the latest malfunction is that the calls are dropped by the phone repeatedly for a few seconds at a time and sometimes cut off altogether. AT&T has become a difficult consumer products company to deal with, especially in getting through to an actual person. But even though I am a few weeks past the 1 year warranty cut-off date they have agreed to provide warranty replacement because I had the first of my list of problems with this model within the warranty period.
3 helpful votes
on December 8, 2013
EASE of use, great displays ~~!!

My old AT&T model died after 20 or more years, and when I researched how to fix it, came across this model.
Turns out the chip finally just died on the old one anyway.

Same lovely phone, but with updates like past caller memory so I can see who rang but didn't leave a message,
and easy delete.
The large dial numbers are rather fun, also.
on December 10, 2012
Wasn't crazy about it, but needed machine. Worked O-K, then outgoing message and tone became INAUDIBLE! [1 person calling from a quality phone could hear it faintly] I was too pressed for time to return it--just told everyone to leave message w/o hearing a tone. But missed a few important calls!...Then it stopped recording messages all together! Had to resort to using previous DECT/cordless systems--which are awful because they emit more radiation than cell phones, even when not in use--24/7! OTHER CONS: 1] you don't get dial tone right away--a yucky digital delay. 2] hard to use when power out--answering doesn't work at all, but i think/recall you can make/receive calls[but think faintly] ...i'll have to add others later. PROS: 1]not made of toxic materials.
on June 28, 2012
This phone (listed as new) was purchased as a replacement for the discontinued AT&T 1856 which developed a loud hum after a few years of good service. I suspected something was wrong as soon as I opened the Amazon shipping carton and found a plain white box inside. My years of experience in electronics retailing (now retired) told me this was either a return or a refurbished phone. The phone and accessories were loose in the box with no packing. The cords for the phone and AC adapter were sloppily wound up. The manual was wrinkled. The kicker - when I plugged the phone in there were 11 messages for "Charlie." Apparently Charlie didn't bother to clear the memory before he returned it and whoever put it in the 'white box' didn't either. I contacted Amazon customer service, explained my concerns and received a satisfactory resolution. Other reviews here for these phones indicate they also received a used or refurbished phone. However you phrase it, the phone I received was not 'new.' So, why did Charlie return the phone? Was there some feature not working? Maybe an intermittent problem that will show up in time? I'll never know his reason. My reason for the return - 'new' does not equal 'used.'
on March 8, 2013
I bought this phone to replace a phone that we had that got hit with a power surge (even though it was attached to a surge protector). The main thing I wanted was a nice, simple phone with an answering machine. The first time I had to get a message from the answering machine, the message disappeared into thin air. By the time I figured out how to get the message back (which took a good hour and a half), the volume control stopped working. No matter where I set the volume, you still had to pick the phone up and put it to your ear in order to hear the message. I sprayed the volume control with cleaner made for electronics, but it didn't help at all. By the time I got the second message, I had forgotten how to get the message to replay--and with next to no volume on the phone, well, I never did get the message. Before I got this phone, I had a Bell South phone with answering machine. I wish that phone had not gotten hit with the surge, because this phone pretty much is garbage.