Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 139 reviews
on January 7, 2017
I purchased this shortly after they hit the market and is my 3rd dash cam in 2 years. Recording at 1080p gives a pretty clear picture and am able to read license plates of cars I'm behind as well as cars coming at me if I pause the video (which is in .mov format). At night, very little pixelation and again the video is pretty good. The video at day and night is on par with more expensive cameras. The ability to add GPS later is great but not a necessity.

I have GPS working with mine. Per Aukey customer support, the link below works with the DR-01 and I can personally confirm it works and locks on to GPS very quickly. Speed and location are spot on (but despite setting mph in the menu, STILL shows km/h). Unplug your dash cam, plug in the GPS in the correct port (the other is for AV) and plug it back in. If it's plugged in and working you will see a green G in the upper right corner after it locks in (takes 30 seconds or less). You will not see anything on your display while driving but when you watch the .mov file, it will have GPS coordinates and your speed in km/h. I can also confirm that Dash Cam software Registrator Viewer works great. You owe it to yourself to download a copy (it's free) to view your dash cam footage. Works without GPS but works much better with.

PAPAGO! GPSA-US Dashcam GPS Antenna work with GoSafe 118/GoSafe 200/GoSafe 260/ GoSafe 381 Dashcam

I am happy with the dash cam *AND* Aukey's support and would recommend this but am currently looking for something better and more reliable. I had an issue with my first two units and was contacted by Aukey and sent replacements right away, hassle free. The latest one arrived, I installed the latest firmware (found on their website) but still have menu issues. Despite a firmware update JUST to fix the mph issue (when you select mph it still displays km/h on the video) it's still not resolved. It seemed to work correctly when I first updated the firmware but since then, it's reverted back to km/h even though the settings menu says it's set to mph. Doesn't affect the dash cam video and if you don't have the GPS antenna connected it is a non-issue. But there have been several menu settings that despite setting them, don't actually get selected.

In case anyone is curious, 128GB class 10 cards work fine but make sure you use a microSD card that is rated specifically for dash cams. Make sure it says it's "High Endurance".
66 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2017
Well I have been running the Dash Cam for about 2 weeks and so far have no real complaints.
I am a little disappointed that even at 1080p in order to be able to read license plates I have to be as close to the car in front of me as it would be for my own eyes to read them, but that is likely of any dash camera.

I have a 32gb Sandisk Class 10 micro-sd card that I am using and get between 6-7 hours of recording without audio at 1080p.

Firmware:
My camera came with an older version of the firmware. The Aukey website is not very clear about how to update the firmware. However when I contacted customer support they were able to tell me the latest firmware version (so I could see if mine was old) and provided me with the newest version to install with instructions on how to install it using the micro-sd card (they call it TF).

Old Aukey Firmware: DR01_H.V1.0.1213
New Aukey Firmware: DR01_H.V1.3.0221

I did not have any issues I was aware of with the old version, but I am glad to be running the newest version now with hopes that any issues other users reported are now fixed. I also never had an issue with the camera not starting with the car either.

Only con I have is the same as reported by Dash Cam reviewer on Youtube, which is the mount is not easily rotated if you wanted to quickly change where it was facing during an accident or something.

Overall I am happy with this affordable little dash cam, and will update my review as time goes on for those curious.
review image review image
55 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2017
Image quality is pretty good, and while it doesn't have night vision, the shots taken at night are nice and clear. (Tip: make sure the inside of your windshield is clean.) Haven't tried the audio.
There are only three cable clips included--this just isn't enough; five would be better. The instructions are...minimal.
The suction cup used to hold the unit to the glass is really mediocre; it tends to fall off a lot. This makes the unit less than useful for recording purposes.
Finally, make sure you don't leave the power source plugged in. My unit has a tendency to turn itself on, and then I get eight hours of the back of the house.
UPDATE: I have to say that Aukey's tech support department is outstanding. Without any prompting from me, they contacted me and addressed several of the concerns that I had, to our mutual satisfaction. Kudos to them.
on April 26, 2017
First candidate in a list of units I'm considering. Daylight results are: video quality is fine for establishing whether "you hit them" vs. "they hit you". Totally unable to resolve a license plate in my testing, so don't think of it as "for" that type of use. Field of view is really more than adequate, covering both left and right front fenders fully from a position near the rear view mirror. Other reviews state that the suction cup doesn't work - I find it does, when carefully applied. I use other suction cup attachment items, and this compares favorably with the best available other suction attach items. It will fall off if not applied carefully, and if you have the option of using the permanent 3M VHB attachment, that could be better for you. Both are included. The "motion detection" feature appears to work as designed, causing an installation that does not switch off power to operate in low power mode, not recording, until something "interesting" is seen. THE ONE MAJOR FLAW in this mode is that "video motion detect" but *NO* SHOCK-sensor / G-sensor / Accelerometer will resume recording - this means that you will not get video of a hit-run unless motion is "seen" in the field of view - in my opinion, the G-sensor should trigger recording, possibly capturing something useful in tracking down a hit-run suspect. I'll edit with comparitive results when I've gotten more data on this and other cameras I'm looking at. CON: inability to record plates, fiddly mount, flashing green LED that can't be turned off in menu, need to go to menu to change whether audio is recorded, very 'prominent' look when seen from outside the car (not subtle...). PRO: reliably turned on/off in my testing, makes a pleasant power-up / power-down noise that would alert if power failed, has adequate video quality and reliability for basic lane positions, make and color of cars etc. COMPARE: the Viofo A119 has much better video, is subtle, has a button to toggle audio record without need of menues, and includes GPS for similar price. I've not received any incentive for any of my dashcam eval.
on January 13, 2017
Overall it's a great camera. Four stars only because sometimes it does not kick into recording mode when you start the car , then you have to unplug the camera so it restarts in recording mode. It happened to me quite often. Other than that, produces good quality recording, it's small enough for it not to be a distraction on your windshield . You have to make sure to get higher speed reading card for this camera in order for it to record.
on March 7, 2017
This is a decent camera for the price - very small, 1080 grade video, lots of setting options, very easy to operate once you get the hang of it. The video is clear even at night depending on conditions. License numbers on the highway? No, but at a stop light, yes. I haven't tried to extract a frame and blow it up to see a number. Audio recording makes it easy to just read a plate number out loud. You can turn off audio recording if you like. You can turn off the display too, which is nice at night.

I almost returned it as defective. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A HIGH SPEED micro SD in it or it won't work. But tone don't do what they should and some settings are not available. I did not see this mentioned in the manual. Once I put the right card in it, it was fine.
on April 17, 2017
First one I received was broken out of the box. However, customer service was very prompt and courteous. I was sent a replacement with free 2-day shipping (could be because I have prime) and did not even have to return the broken unit.

Regarding the actual product, it's very simple to use; just mount it via suction cup or 3M strips, plug it in, and turn on your car. The default settings have it recording at 1080p in 10 minute intervals, no sound, and the accelerometer on. I found it very easy to change to my desired settings. The form factor for me was a huge plus, as I was able to hide almost the entire camera behind my mirror.

One thing to take note of is that the armortek snakemount DOES NOT fit this device. I am unsure if any third party mounts will fit, as it looks like the dashcam design uses a modification of a traditional style mount. However, after using this product for a couple weeks, it have had no problems with the suction cup suddenly falling off.

Overall, this is a great product from a great company.
on May 16, 2017
Nice dash cam that works well. Lots of options. Files are huge and short but it saves all the time so you won't lose anything. Good picture in most lighting conditions. I even used it as a nanny cam in the house and it picks up sound from all over the house fairly well. Nice long cable so you can route it around your windshield to your power supply. Good accessories for mounting and running cables. Lots of good 3M adhesive strips for fastening. They hold well even in a hot car. Bought two. Did the firmware update from Aukey site. No problems. Just make sure you format your microSD card with the dashcam. It doesn't like wrong cluster sizes. Use a large size card so it doesn't overwrite as often. 1080p uses large files sizes for a short video. For the price, you can't go wrong.
on March 16, 2017
Had this for 5 days now but waited to see how it performed at night before reviewing. I am very happy with both daytime and nighttime results. The 170 deg wide angle is fantastic. I put a 128G sdcard in it and it works flawlessly. The only thing I would wish for is that the micro sdcard slot was mounted on the side or bottom so I could pop it out with having to remove the unit from its mount on the windshield.
on May 24, 2017
The picture quality is pretty good. Please see the attached captured photos. The captured image shown as Aukey DR01 is much better than the other one (from my old-cheaper-dash-cam). Interestingly both photos has the same resolution (1920 x 1080), however the quality is totally different as you can see from those photos. From the description, this item has SONY sensor, I guess it makes the difference. However I do not know why, but microSD card slot is up of the camera. It is pretty hard to take out microSD card without removing camera first. If the slot is at the side of the camera, it is much easier.

Pro:
Small
Good picture quality
Easy to use

Con:
Hard to remove microSD card.
review image review image