Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AVF ES250B-T Wall Mounted AV Component Shelving System with 2 Adjustable Tempered Glass Shelves -Black
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on October 18, 2010
This was delivered in one day. Good Condition. Picture instructions easy to follow.
Wasn't a wood stud where it needed to be installed. I tried using supplied drywall anchors and screws. The plastic anchors messed up using an electric drill and screws were to large.

I had the common problem of creating a rounded out hole to big for the anchors.(stuff happens!) So,I checked my surplus hardware stash and found two metal drywall anchors with the spring loaded wing-nuts that lockup against the inside of the drywall. These are the best for any weight bearing install.

I didn't rate the shelf system 5 stars because of the supplied anchors & screws.

The shelf system was great and goodlooking. A very sturdy shelf holds the cable box and above on the next shelf is my blu-ray player. Adjusting the shelves was easy. I really liked being able to arrange all cables neatly through cableways on each side of the base and behind the shelf holders. This made a nice clean setup. Very pleased with the final results.

I experienced no instability in any of the shelves as I read in some review. This my be because of the use of the supplied anchoring hardware. Before install, go to the hardware store and get better hardware for the drywall. In my opinion, the metal wing-nut toggle bolt type are the best for load bearing shelving.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2011
I for one am all about aesthetic appeal when it comes to our television setup in each of our rooms in our homes. I am a wire hider, I would rather climb up in a 130F attic and hide wires than see them any day. We purchased this product for my son's setup in his room, we mounted it right next to his 47" TV and he keeps his Playstation and XBox on each shelf, the wires are nearly completely hidden as they're so close to the TV that they simply are running directly behind and plugged in (excess is wound up and zip tied behind the TV). We chose to mount the shelf to the side of the Television because he had a shelf below with his stereo, etc, and the aesthetic appearance worked better off to the side. It would look amazing with one set on each side, but he has no need for two sets. The product was very easily assembled, and the glass and finish gives it a very contemporary look. I would recommend this product all day long.

Hope that helps you with your purchasing decision.
Thanks for reading!
on March 2, 2012
I purchased this shelf to hold my cable DVR and my DVD player when I was relocating my flat-screen TV above my mantle. I didn't want to have a bunch of wires and items near the floor, so I wanted something attractive to hold the equipment that I could mount next to the TV.

Overall the shelves are a good value. The instructions are clear but in photo-only format. I glanced over them but, being a guy, I forged ahead without understanding them at all. Luckily for me, the parts are really easy to figure out.

I was mounting the shelves in brick, so I did not encounter the problem that others have stated with regards to the drywall anchors. That said, I would never mount something like this in just drywall using the drywall anchors. The screws either need to go into a wood stud or you should use a toggle bolt/anchor bolt to get a good clamp on the other side of the sheet rock. If you don't know what a toggle or anchor bolt is, don't be afraid -- they are actually easier to use than you think and you can see a sample right here (http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Steel-Toggle-Slotted-Length/dp/B00137CITU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1330713516&sr=8-10). Just drill a hole, slip the toggle bolt into place with the shelf backing in the middle, and stick it through the hole, then use a screwdriver to tighten.

Once mounted it was easy to feed the wires through the built-in spaces to collect them nicely. The shelves took about five minutes to screw in with the supplied allen.

-----

For those of you using the supplied drywall anchors, let me make a suggestion -- drill a smaller hole FIRST, as a pilot hole. And if you are using a powerdrill, let the drill do the work, but don't put it on the highest speed available, and don't PUSH too hard to get the anchor in, otherwise, it'll smoosh it.

------

As far as instability, there are two types. There's the back mount piece that can be unstable, and then there's the shelf instability itself.

Regarding the back piece, I cannot say that was unstable since I mounted it in brick using lag bolts and sheaths. For those mounting in drywall, I suggest using toggle bolts instead.

Regarding the shelves themselves, they do rock back and forth quite a bit when they are put in place. The shelves aren't screwed in at all. instead, they fit inside a little clip and rest upon some rubber feet on top of the shelf support. I can see it being very easy to bump these shelves and have stuff fall down or off. Where I mounted the equipment this is not a big deal, but for others it may be. If you have a cat that likes to climb, I don;t think I would recommend getting these shelves unless they are out of the way.

-----------
PROs: attractive appearance, good price/value, easy install. Collects and hides wires well. A similar shelf unit retails for $149 at Best Buy.

Cons: shelves rock back and forth in the shelf clip, and feel a little insecure.
on March 26, 2011
This unit is very sturdy if you use common sense when mounting it. Let's face it, you can't possibly think that drywall anchors will hold ANY shelving unit loaded with equipment(even if they give you the anchors with the shelf)! Seems like the biggest problem people,myself included, have is that they want to mount this unit centered below their TV and wall mounts for TV's commonly only hit 2 studs, so you can either try using drywall anchors to mount it in the center, or mount it off center so you can hit a stud. Neither of those sounded good to me so after tons of searching on Amazon, I was able to find a TV wall mount that was wide enough to hit 3 studs (GENIUS!) and thus have a stud directly centered below the TV. Try the VideoSecu Ultra Slim TV Wall Mount Fits most 37" to 63" LED LCD Plasma Flat Panel TV's, it is holding a Toshiba 55" LCD tight to the wall(1-1/4") and is also plenty strong enough as well as being reasonably priced. The shelving unit (screwed directly into the stud) is SUPER STRONG-you will break the glass shelf before you can pull it off the wall. Long and short of it, this unit is affofdable, really stylish, shelves are perfectly sized, and extruded aluminum wall mount is strong but it MUST BE MOUNTED TO A STUD. Very satisfied-was better than I expected (not made in China).
on December 20, 2010
I was looking for a cheap wall shelf unit, but I wish I would've shopped more. This unit is very visually pleasing; however, lacks stability. The drywall anchors that come with it don't work very well. I eventually made them work, but recommend getting other anchors if you have the choice. I got the anchors tight to the wall, but the shelves will sway side to side way more than I expect if bumped. The shelf looks very nice if you put it up away from contact, but I fear things may fall off them as wobbly as they are.
on July 13, 2011
I think this mount is just OK. I definitely wasn't very impressed with the construction quality and size of it. I have three different televisions mounted all with different mounted component shelves or shelf underneath the TVs. This one just feels week and small. Everything is secured and everything. But if you have any larger size components you want to mount, I wouldn't recommend this model; Things like a surround sound receiver (usually pretty large) or my original PS3 (heavy). The surround receiver sticks off the end of the glass shelf and the weight makes the shelf sage forward a bit. It's noticeable just by quickly looking at it. And it cant fit many cords in the track system.
But for the price, it's not a horrible product. If you have small size components only mounted it would work great, like a smaller cable / satellite receiver or smaller DVD player. For a large surround sound receiver or something like that, I would recommend the omni mount; probably my favorite mount I have.
on March 31, 2012
In my opinion this unit does not qualify for cable management since there is no way to fully hide the cables. The back channel is open to the front with any thing running through still visible and there are no openings for running cables through the side channels except at the top and bottom. I will return and order a different manufacturer.
on October 17, 2012
I purchased this shelving system to hold components under a 50 inch TV that was mounted on the wall. The installation was not a problem as my brother is very good with things electronic and mechanical. We both noted however, that after it was installed the shelves were not perfectly straight and the components caused the shelves to "list" to one side or the other. Even lighter components--a blu-ray DVD player and satellite DVR player--caused leaning as much as a much heavier Sony stereo receiver. Also, all of the wiring did not fit into the channels at the back of the assembly--one of the main reasons I purchased the unit. The shelves themselves looked good and although the set up was not the most optimum, it worked--for awhile. Then in July or August--it was installed in December 2011--I was cleaning the TV and the two components at the top simply fell off--luckily I was nearby and was able to catch them. The rubber footing that sits atop the U shaped arm holding the shelf had come off! I tried to reattach the rubber foot but it would not properly attach so I simply took the two components off and put them elsewhere. The receiver is still sitting on the other (lower) shelf but I'm going to take it off, totally disconnect the system, and put the components on a cheap--but sturdy--bookshelf.

The shelving unit looks very good and in theory should work. But until the manufacturer can devise a more secure means for components--even older ones that tend to be heavier--to rest securely on the shelves then the product may not be what you're looking for.
on November 18, 2012
This shelving is very sturdy and is exactly right for our use. It holds the cable box and a small sound bar for our wall mounted tv. Shelves are larger than what I've seen on the market and provide very stable platform for items used on them.
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2013
Going by other reviews, I would think this shelving unit is damage prone and does not function properly unless it is holding 2 pieces of paper only. Having much experience with 'whim-buys' where I went for price over quality and company-familiarity, I can say the AVF Shelving System is not one of the bad ones.

To get straight to it, the only problem I had was the first package sent did not have 2 special screws absolutely needed to install the shelving arms onto the backplate. Amazon sent me a replacement 1-day shipping and everything was fine.

Quality: 9/10

The glass plates are heavy and very appealing. They are black--coming with a dark tint.

One thing to look for that would be important to the longevity of the shelf would be the quality of the metal. In this regard it is very very good.

The backplate--once mounted into the studs is extremely sturdy and will not move (could hold more than 50lbs--however this is different than the shelves).

The shelving mechanism--The way the shelves are setup is that the glass plates 'slide' and 'wedge' into a holder and rubber feet dampen the bottom glass and hold it steady. Very simplistic design and for what I used it for--holding a lightweight blu-ray player and a heavy (about 7 lbs) Xbox, it works fantastic. The shelving does not bend or warp much because like I said previously, the metal in this setup is sturdy.

For the install you will need:

A drill (they don't provide the proper size but pick one that is slightly smaller than the bolts going into the wall--and drill in about 2" - 3" until you go about an inch or so into the stud)
A stud finder (if you cannot find them on your own)

After reading reviews I was a little worried, but as along as you get all the right parts to install, and you don't want to put items weighing 20 lbs or more on each shelf, you will get exactly what you were shopping for -- A glass shelf that looks clean and simple that mounts to the wall.

For the install you will need:

A stud finder (if you cannot find them on your own)