Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 15, 2011
This product works great. Does not slow down my computer at all. I feel very secure using this product. I perfprmed a scan once a week.
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2012
Platform: PC Disc|Format: Box|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Whether you get the paid version or the free version of AVG Antivirus you get the same anti-virus engine-so you could try this out for free first.

For this review I had to rely on other peoples reviews as those persons can test in a laboratory situation. I can't. West Coast Labs (an independent software testing company) has given AVG antivirus a "Platinum" anti-virus certification. Another lab, ICSA labs gave AVG antivirus 'certification' and Virus Bulletin gave AVG a VB%100 on all 10 of its test. One worrying fact, is from reviews I found on PCmag.com, Keylogger (where a nasty program monitors your keystrokes-like passwords, and reports them to a malicious user) removal was below average.

It's fast during scanning. No long waits here.

PCmag.com website, shows Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper 2011, Comodo Antivirus 5.0 were better at finding malware and keyloggers then AVG. Those are better choices, in my opinion. I personally use Norton Antivirus 2011-now 2012 and really like it. It does not slow down my system. It does everything it needs to in the background. It did not beat out, Webroot and Comodo at PCmag.com, however.

There is no perfect software anti-virus solution. New threats come out every day. One year, one antivirus software solution is on top, the next year its not. I wouldn't stay married to any software solution. Every year I read the reviews and evaluate my current antivirus software. I then buy the top rated product.

Although you've probably heard it before, avoid downloading anything from unknown websites and opening ANY email attachments unless you are sure you know the person who sent it. Try to get antivirus software that scans incoming and outgoing email. For example, all my email in Outlook is scanned as I receive it and send it. Run full anti-virus scans once a month.

I use Mozilla Firefox. I feel this is a safer browser then Internet Explorer. I have the WOT (web of trust) add-on installed into Firefox which gives me a green light or red light for a web page and lets me know if that website is safe. I don't totally rely on that, but it helps.
on May 15, 2011
Over the years we've used Norton, Trend Micro and McAfee antivirus programs. Due to various unsatisfactory issues with these other programs, since 2007 we changed to (initially the free and then the pay-for versions of) AVG mainly because of its user-friendly menu interface and the fact that once installed and running, it's virtually trouble-free and very effective. We updated the AVG program in 2009 and it's been installed on four busy small-networked computers which variously run Windows7, XP and Vista OS with no problems encountered on any of them. The program is light on system resources and doesn't slow everything down as some AV programs are prone to do.

The 3-user, 2-year licence represents good value. Be aware that the 24-month clock starts ticking when the program is activated on the first computer, even if you install the program on the other machines at a later date.

Some notorious installation issues are commonly reported with AVG software but if you follow this procedure, you should be OK:

1. Don't use the disk. Instead, download the current version of `Internet Security 2011' from the AVG website. This will save you the tedium of having to subsequently download and install a ton of post-installation online updates issued by AVG since the disk was manufactured in order to get the program up-to-date before you can actually use it

2. `Register' the program online and when prompted, submit the `sales number' on the sticker inside the disk-box. AVG will email you a 'Key' to use when you install the program: best to print this email and keep a hard copy with the disk for use on subsequent installations on other machines

3. De-install ALL other anti-virus software from your hard-drive, including any previous version of AVG, and re-start your computer. You need to do this prior to installing the new version of AVG, as said new version will not do the job for you nor prompt you to do it, and the presence of older versions, or competitor programs, will cause problems with the new installation

4. Install your just-downloaded current version of AVG IS-2011 and, when prompted, enter the key number you received by email from AVG on registration

5. NB the `Quick' installation option is in fact not `quick' at all, but a FULL INSTALLATION. You may choose not to install the browser toolbar (unless you actually want to use the AVG browser as your default) or the search tool, as they will just double-up on tools already available in other programs

Then all being well, off you go.

Some users claim you need an up-to-date version of MS Office (including Outlook) for AVG 2011 to work properly, and that they encounter problems with earlier versions. However, we have encountered no such problems with our 2003 version of MS Office: it all works fine.

The 2011 version keeps the user-friendly menu interface of AVG 2009 and offers:

* Licence
* Online Shield
* Resident Shield
* Update Manager

If the component is up-to-date and active then a clear, simple green tick-box is shown next to that component. If you need to de-activate a component - for example the firewall - you simply move your mouse over the icon, right click and open it. You then have a list of options including de-activation or `emergency mode - block all internet traffic'. If you choose to de-activate the firewall, the program menu-interface warns you with a big red banner headline that you're `Not Protected!' until you return the firewall to default function, but otherwise doesn't interfere with what you choose to do. It's clear and unambiguous, easy and intuitive.

Extra features like `PC Analyzer' are available. You'll need to download this separately from AVG but it's free once you've registered and paid for the program, and quite useful. It then shows up in the menu-interface control panel with the other components.

You can set intervals for updates and scans to suit yourself, or initiate them manually at your convenience. Neither update installations nor system scans intrude into the normal operation of the computer, though if your computer has a none-too-powerful processor then the web browser might slow down a bit when the AVG program is scanning.

Overall I think AVG remains the anti-virus program of choice and despite some minor issues with installation (especially troublesome if you try to use the disk without de-installing previous versions of AVG or competitor programs), when installed and running it's trouble-free, light on system resources and very effective.
on May 18, 2012
1)Installation: 3.5/5

AVG AntiVirus 2011 installation clocked in at 2 minutes and 19 seconds on my system. The installation process required no system reboots.

2)Features & Ease of Use: 8.5/10
The AVG AntiVirus 2011 Dashboard boasts one of the better interfaces I've seen. Its design manages to incorporate all of AVG's configurable and executable virus scanning options onto a single compact screen. Shortcut commands on the left-hand menu let you quickly launch a full virus scan of your computer, or check AVG for virus definition updates.

3)Performance Testing: 4/10
A good Antivirus program should not only protect your computer from Viruses but also not slow down the Performance of your computer overly by using too much of your computer's resources. I wasn't impressed with the performance speed with AVG. I was expecting better. I could tell AVG was scanning my PC because it took a small performance hit while AVG was running in the background.

AVG is one of the most widely used free antivirus programs, but its commercial version doesn't compare well against its competitors. While AVG 2011 is slightly better than last year, it still has several issues holding it back from being one of the best antivirus programs. Until AVG can improve its Effectiveness against malware, its Performance, and its Help & Support, there are several other better alternatives available.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
A while ago I tried the "free" version from AVG and was very displeased with the quantity of spam that I seemed to end up with as a result of the process. In spite of that, I needed a product for a new machine I was getting and took advantage of this opportunity to try the full product. Does it work? Yes. Over the course of the few months I've been using it, I have seen no issue with virus activity on my system. On the other hand, it is a bit aggressive with regard to protecting me from myself. I use this system for audio recording applications where I turn off the wireless and completely isolate the machine except for the firewire to the recording interface. At these times, for performance, I would normally turn off things like anti-virus software so nothing interferes with the real-time processing of audio. This product is unstoppable. You can get it to go quiet for a few minutes, but you can't stop the service. I can't say for sure that the feature is present with other current products, but I was able to turn off the F-Prot software that Charter provides, and have always had good luck with Symantec products.

A second issue is that there are an awful lot of options and parts to this software. Opening up the application displays thirteen different components. This might make each individual component easier to locate and manage, but it can be overwhelming in terms of complexity. The components have one or two word names, and you really need to look into th edocumentation to understand what is what in there. The default config works, so maybe this is the right setup for someone who wants to tinker but, it was a turnoff for me.

I made this choice to save a few bucks, but I will be looking to get back to one of my preferred solutions in the near future.
on March 29, 2011
I've been using AVG's free antivirus software for two years now and have always been pleased with it, so I was curious about trying the full version and seeing if it was worth the upgrade.

I guess I'll never find out.

I've attempted to install the software three times now and keep receiving the same error message of "Installation cancelled due to higher version installed". Apparently, it considers my free version to be superior.

I suppose I could just uninstall the free version and then install this version, but the idea that it considered my free version "higher" actually troubles me. You see, this is NOT the top of the line full version of AVG's anti-virus software. The AVG Internet Security package offers far more protection and is the version that you upgrade to when you download the free version and upgrade to the paid version. This software isn't even an option there. I honestly wonder if this particular software bundle is as effective as the free version. It offers a few more bells and whistles, but both the fact that you can't upgrade to it from the free version and that it thinks my current software is superior makes me pause.

In the end, it never really made any sense to purchase a physical copy of this anti-virus package anyway. You can instantly download the free version from AVG and then instantly upgrade to the full version if you feel the need. I'm not sure I ever saw the point in buying a box and CD, and this little glitch I ran into makes the experience even less logical.
VINE VOICEon May 8, 2011
Installation of the AVG Antivirus and Antispyware 2011 was okay, except for one annoying thing, it offers to install the AVG Toolbar with Yahoo Search, so pay attention when you are clicking through during the installation process, otherwise, you may end up installing it. This is a bad habit many software companies have picked up these days. It installs its addons/extensions to the various browsers, which of course you can uninstall at any time if you don't like.

I have been using it as the anti-virus on a basic quad-core Windows 7 desktop system for about five months without any problems. It does its job without getting in the way. One time it gave an error message when I visited a website that apparently had a virus, but the computer was not compromised.

It doesn't get in the way with a quad-core system. I haven't tried it on a dual core or single core computers, so I don't know how it does there. I haven't done an A/B test, but I prefer running this instead of Norton or McAfee.

It automatically gets new updates of virus definitions on its own, which is the default setting, but you can go to the Advanced menus to change that if you have a specific reason why you want to do this manually.
on May 21, 2011
After having used AVG for several months on my new PC now, I can confidently recommend it to friends and colleagues. My biggest issue with antivirus programs are their inherent nature of robbing your system of speed and resources. I can safely say that AVG effectively handles this concern of mine, among others making it my preferred antivirus solution. After several months of daily use this is what I have been able to ascertain:
- IT WORKS - no infections of any serious viruses or malware (minor tracking cookies aside-but they were detected)
- Minimal drain on processing power/startup time/multitasking, etc
- I have not run into any compatibility issues with other software, nor have I needed to disable protection at any time for software installs, etc.
- The GUI is simple and detailed enough to use. It features a main screen that can easily be used to disable individual services on the fly (something Norton and Mcafee need serious improvement on)
- Scan times seem to be good, but I do not have any other software to compare it to on this particular computer.

All in all, if you are looking for an effective, lightweight antivirus solution, look no further than AVG.
on March 19, 2011
I have been using the free version of AVG for 3 or 4 years, but this was my first use of the paid version of their product. The paid version has more functionality than the free version. I am well pleased with it, and would purchase it again in the future.

Unlike some other anti-virus software (such as Norton), AVG is not a resource hog. It runs quietly in the background. I am not a technical person, but AVG is simple to use and understand.

I don't care for the PC Analyzer. It is offered as an option, but it is not included in the price of the program. There is a free 15 day trial, or it can be purchased for an additional $30. A friend of mine also has this AVG program, and mistakenly bought the PC Analyzer option thinking it was required for the anti-virus function. For those that do not read the details carefully, it can be a little deceiving. This review would have been a solid 5 stars, were it not for the "bait and switch" method of selling the PC Analyzer.
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2011
I've tried Microsoft's free anti virus software in the past, and like McAffee and Norton it seriously slowed everything down whilst doing updates so I was thrilled to get a chance at this from Vine. I can't comment on ease of installation as someone else did it for me while configuring the network issues. I've been working with it now for about a week or so and really not having any problems with slowness during updates (yay!), and the software runs smoothly in the background without interrupting your work.

My one complaint is the not-so-nice little tactic of *offering* the PC analyzer tool on the AVG desktop, but once you click the scan and then ask to fix it you're offered a very short free trial or you can purchase the tool for ____. Boo hiss, that is seriously low ball and for that I'm dropping a star off of the rating. That's as bad as Norton's constant upgrade selling :/

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.