Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 114 reviews
on March 9, 2017
Let me start by a simple statement of fact: I'm not a watch guy. I don't understand people that spend hundreds of dollars on watches and have a little box to display them. I'm a guy that has traditionally owned one watch and it has been plastic (I know, classy af). SO while going through a nasty breakup one of my buddies spouted that well regarded piece of wisdom we all hear after getting our heart broken: "Treat yo self". He told me to buy something for myself I would never buy and him being one of those previously mentioned watch guys told me to buy a nice watch. After some searching and hunting I found this. Loved it. Bought it. Now its been a few years and I can say without a doubt this watch is awesome. Perfect for work, weddings or a day at the pub, this guy has that versatile bit of class that everyone wants in an expensive bit of fashion. Its durable and is still kicking after regular wear and tear. I'm still not a watch guy but I would buy another one of these.
on October 19, 2016
I absolutely love this watch. The first one I ordered came in with a lagging, or stopping second hand. I replaced the battery, but the problem persisted. I returned it, and the second one I received was perfect. I don't believe the first watch was an issue in manufacturing or anything else with AVI-8 as the packaging it came in had shown clear signs of being opened before.

Anyways, back to the watch. It is gorgeous. I could tell right away that the case is very sturdy, well designed, and tightly sealed (from my experience of unscrewing the back of the first watch). The colors and details on the face are vivid and beautiful. Mechanically it works very well. The chronograph functions start and stop on a dime and are very precise for a watch of this price range, and even for those that are more expensive. I changed out the strap for a slightly weathered Hadley Roma Dark leather strap (pictured), and it brought out the details even more!

I am very happy with this purchase and will likely purchase more from AVI-8 down the road. I highly recommend it if you are wanting a well built, classic piece with updated elements and a strong, dedicated brand behind it.
on July 17, 2016
Like others, I was drawn to the aviation theme, and it is a nicely executed, attractive package - polished case with nice brushing on the top surface of the lugs to keep it from being too blingy, mineral crystal, excellent soft leather strap with signed buckle and a stylish face with the RAF roundel behind one chronograph dial. The dial goes all the way to the edge of the case, so it looks larger than the stated 42mm diameter, but the curve of the lugs hug my small wrist making it quite comfortable. Definitely a sharp-looking watch. All is not perfect, though. Not sure who makes the movement - Japanese quartz is all it says - but it is a very peculiar setup and not thoughtfully marked. It hacks, which is a nice touch on an aviation-themed watch, but the chronograph function is a disappointment. To start, the cental seconds hand is for running seconds only and is completely separate from the chrono mechanism. This makes the tachymeter bezel pointless since you can't measure precise time over distance using the scale. Fair enough, but if it's useless, why not put something else in that space? Minute scale, maybe? Instead, the chrono function operates the 3 smaller dials. The top dial measures 10ths, which is odd because it takes two seconds to make a complete rotation, and it is marked 0-00 in 2s for the first second (2, 4, 6, 8) and then backward (8, 6, 4, 2, 0) for the second - making no sense whatsoever. The dial at 6 measures seconds, and the 9 o'clock dial measures minutes, even though it's only marked every 5. And the dials and markings are very small. So, if you're buying this to use as a chronograph, it's only marginally useful, and downright annoying if you want a tachymeter. With a useful chrono, this would be a five-star watch. As is, it's a nicer-than-average fashion watch for people who dig historic airplanes. Fortunately, I dig historic airplanes.
on November 1, 2016
This is one of my daily wear watches, great if you want to look good without wearing a bunch of money on your wrist for the projects or tasks you've got to get that done that day. Cleans up easily, hasn't scratched yet, band is comfortable and flexible, seller was fantastic! Build quality is solid but not too bulky or heavy like my Tag's, A+ on the brand (my first one from this watch maker).
on May 22, 2014
I've had a Hawker Hurricane for several months now, and it's still one of my go-to watches. The cream dial looks very sharp, and the brightly colored details on the inner chronograph dials help to accentuate the retro aesthetic that the AVI-8 brand is after. It's a very elegant design, but it still stands out enough to land you a few compliments from onlookers. I was also impressed by how soft the leather band was out of the box, you won't have to 'break it in' much for it to feel comfortable.

Now for the (slight) issues. The internals used in the HH are not from the 'top shelf' of quartz movements, so keen ears will notice a ticking sound from this watch. It's not as loud as a Timex Weekender, but you will notice it occasionally. Also, the chronograph function on mine has been a bit dodgy...it will run for about 15 minutes or so and then just stop. And when I press the reset button the top and bottom dials don't quite line up to the 12 o'clock position. This was not a huge concern for me though as I rarely need to use the chronograph function. So to sum up this is a very handsome timepiece with some shortcuts taken under the surface to keep things affordable. I was able to get mine right before the price jumped up from $125, so I am very pleased with this watch!
on June 22, 2015
Fantastically designed, not too big, just right! The craftsmanship and style of this watch really makes a great impression. I have looked at a lot of watches and chose this one because of the story and commitment to detail that could be found. If there were a 6th star, I would give it!
on June 22, 2014
The build quality of the band and piece itself are immaculate. The band was a touch too large for me and I had a new hole punched at a leather store and it fits like a glove now. I've taken it flying twice with me and both times the chronograph has been spot on. Great luxury watch with practicality.
on July 1, 2016
Got my watch yesterday. Beautiful. A real contrast to my two Lancaster Bomber models. The 1/10 second chronograph dial whizzing around looks neat and the other dials are somewhat more readable than the tiny ones on the Lancaster model. The workmanship is great although there seems a bit too much backlash in the crown. No big deal I guess as I don't expect to be adjusting it more than once a month (to set the date). If my other two AVI-8 watches are anything to go by it will keep perfect time. The etched graphic on the back is different to the the one shown on Amazon and looks great too. I had better stop at 3 or I'll spend my retirement fund!
on June 9, 2014
I was looking for a stylish watch with a brown band and beige face since that is the color combo that goes with what I wear most often and this watch fit the bill. My old watch had the same color scheme but a smaller face; the larger face makes it more current and gets noticed right away...my wife loves it on me.
on May 18, 2017
One of my favorite watches I own. However, I'm disappointed that the band is on the lower quality end. I lost both of the little hoops that the slack of the watch band goes through. Now I have to pay $40-50 to purchase another one...or just buy another watch for $100 more?