Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Abandoned: The Untold Story of the Abortion Wars
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 26, 2012
"Abandoned: The Untold Story of the Abortion Wars" is just that. If you think you know the history of pro-life activism since Roe v. Wade (I thought I knew) you must read this book to get a unique glimpse into the real story.

Monica Migliorino Miller is a true pro-life hero who puts her belief in the sanctity of life into action. Much like William Wilberforce's crusade to end slavery in England and Martin Luther King Jr. in his fight against segregation in the U.S., Monica performed acts of heroic courage to save lives--and give dignity to those she could not save.

But don't think for a moment that this is a dry recounting of the history of the abortion wars. It's a poignant and very readable narrative packed with emotional highs and lows. It will bring tears to your eyes numerous times (at least it did for me), but also make you want to stand up and cheer for Monica and others whose stories she beautifully tells.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. God bless you, Monica Migliorino Miller!
on October 6, 2012
I have read many books on abortion but never one like this. As a relative newcomer to the prolife arena, it was fascinating to realize the sacrifices and dedication of those who have been on this side of the argument from the beginning (and I mean FASCINATING as in : page-turner, lose-sleep, think-about-it-all-day kind of read!). The book was disturbing at times for me as a post-abortive woman (actually, disturbing most of the time because of that), yet the pure love of life that glistened through the author's words made it soothing as well. I learned so much...and it helped me to solidify my arguments--without using my Catholic faith to make them. The science and the pictures certainly speak for themselves. The courage of this author and the other pioneers was stunning. Monica, I wish that you or Edmund might have been outside of the Boston clinic on October 7, 1983 when I aborted the only child I would ever conceive. My baby might have had a chance to live his life if compassionate, generous people like you had been there to intervene. Thank you , Monica, for this treasure!
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2012
Having been a pro-life activist from 1984 to 1992, I have a very keen interest in collecting books that cover the History of pro-life activism or what is being more commonly referred to by pro-life and pro-abortion authors as the "abortion wars." As informative as most of these books that I have are, there is one feature that Abandoned has that these other books don't. Abandoned was written by a fellow pro-life activist and I find that to by very appealing. The author and I share a common bond. We both have had the experience of being arrested at an abortion mill and seeing the inside of a jail cell. So for me, the fact that Dr. Miller was an actual pro-life activist gives her book a higher level of credibility than the other books that were written by the non activist authors.

Dr. Miller's distinguished career as a pro-life activist spans from 1976 to 1994, and her book Abandoned is essentially her memoirs covering her work primarily in the Chicago/Milwaukee area during that time. Her post graduate education and background as a college professor is quite evident in the way she compiled her research and arranged her material. But even beyond that, Dr. Miller can just FLAT OUT WRITE! Her syntax and writing style is superb. Not only did Dr. Miller accurately give an account of the events she was involved in, but she wrote her book in such a way that holds her readers' attention as they glide through the pages.

Abandoned reads like a Tom Clancy novel, as Dr. Miller so brilliantly captured the drama of the events that she wrote about. Whether it was her interaction with the women that she sidewalk counseled, the police, the judges and lawyers, her jail mates, or her pro-life comrades while retrieving dead babies at the abortion mill dumpsters or planning rescues, Dr. Miller was very thorough in illustrating the demeanor and attitudes of the various characters she engaged. She has a way of drawing in her readers and making them feel as if they we right there as it happened. Dr. Miller has done some acting and she has a Bachelors degree in Theatre. I am guessing that her background in the arts might be one of the reasons she can illustrate drama so well with her words. I think Dr. Miller would probably be successful if she were to cross over and write in the fiction genres such as novels.

The parts of Abandoned that I found especially interesting were the accounts of the rescues (sit-ins at abortion mills). Here are some of them:
* The first rescue in Chicago at the Concord "Medical" Services on March 11, 1978;
* The first rescue in Milwaukee at the Bread and Roses abortion mill on March 8, 1986.
* The Interstate Bank Building rescue in Milwaukee on June 8, 1989;
* The Wendy's overpass rescue on April 25, 1991;
* The driveway rescue at abortionist, Neville Sender's house on June 21, 1993.

As the one who invented the lock and block system for rescues, I especially found the lock-in rescues that Dr. Miller wrote about quite interesting. Even though the Milwaukee rescuers didn't use blocks per se as we did in the Houston rescues, they did devise their own unique techniques and apparatuses that achieved the same effect that a block would have. Such as rescuers using kryptonite bike locks and locking themselves to junk cars or to each other inside a junk car. Then there was a rescuer that attached himself to barrel filled with cement with a PVC pipe. It just goes to show that there is more than one way to lock yourself to an object in order to slow down the arrest process.

As I read about Dr. Miller's experiences during the rescues she was in and her time in jail, I found myself recalling similar experiences during my time as an activist. As of the time I began to read Abandoned, I was already in the process of writing my own book that will chronicle my History as a pro-life activist. Also, I spoke with two other pro-life activists who are planning to do the same. After reading Abandoned, I am inspired more than ever to finish my book. Suffice it to say Dr. Miller has set the bar very high for all the other pro-life activists who want follow in her path.
on October 22, 2012
This is a comprehensive account covering three decades of effective Pro-Life direct action.
The Author reveals much of the inner turmoil experienced when a culture, and especially the legal system, embraces the
so-called "right to choose" over higher values like the right to life.
The book includes a section of graphic color photos that depict the reality of what has been and is going on right now.
Miller always advocated non-violence as a demonstration of her response to Christs love and sacrifice.
There are many successes described, especially about "Peaches" baby, that thrill my heart.
Then there is the total blindness of a unhinged Police State that replicates the mind set of the Nazi
police that blindly follows "the law" because it is "my job"; and the prosecutor/Judicial system
that always acts to protect itself at the expense of true justice for "the least of these".
on August 6, 2014
The author explains the title of the book throughout the book, as she describes her solidarity with the unborn. She recognizes the utter rejection of the babies, as the type of abandonment that Christ suffered in his Passion. First, the one who should have been loyal, turns the baby over to disinterested torturers - who also lack regard for the mothers. The victim is completely alone and helpless to protect herself or himself, as was the Crucified Christ. The abortion workers do not even ponder the humanity evident in what they call POC's (products of conception), though little children described what they found in a trash can as "little people". For me, a prolifer after a radical conversion experience, more inclined to facts than spirituality, it has always been hard to identify with the unborn. I saw them only as the developing woman or man, scientist, road builder, doctor, artist. Migliorino has connected the dots for me. My favorite part of the book is the dialog with inmates that the author had during her many incarcerations.
on September 9, 2014
This truly was a book I just didn't want to put down. I found myself carrying it from room to room so that I could extend my reading time! Miller definitely has her heart in the right place, and she details her work in the pro-life movement in a way that makes you feel that you are there. If you are at all interested in the pro-life movement, or the abortion issue, I would recommend this book. I found it both informative and thought-provoking.
on March 9, 2014
I wish I had the courage that Monica Miller has. God bless her and all those like her. God will reward them for all they do to defend life.
I read this book because I value all life. I wish anyone who considers themselves to be pro choice would read it with an open mind and heart, and then explain how they can be so determined to stop women from hearing that she has choices, plural. Bottom line it comes down to the almighty dollar.
May they have a conversion to the one true God and a love for ALL HIS CHILDREN!!!
on October 15, 2012
Every time I picked this book up, I couldn't put it down!!! What amazing personal stories in the
battle against abortion...the author is truly a modern day hero!! A MUST read!!
on January 1, 2013
Abandoned is a fantastically, horrible book. Monica Miller writes the story lovely, and it is hard to read and see the images of what happen to the aborted babies. The book isn't a general overview of what abortion is and the different stances, but it is almost the autobiography of Miller's pro-life activist lifestyle. Monica Miller has devoted her like to saving the unwanted. In the book Abandoned, you find out all the hardships of doing what is right.
on March 20, 2014
This is a gripping story of Dr. Miller's efforts to blast the mask off of abortion. She exposes the abortion industry for what it is and what it does, the lies that it tells and the lives that it steals in the name of profit.